Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isko
May 20, 2008

Hey man, I'm just being honest here. I think what I said is true for most people who use any form of social media whether they realize it or admit it or not. Drip feeding constant content like its morphine with ads in between is the ultimate form of any social media company under capitalism. I've already been thinking about how much time I spend on this poo poo and how good or bad it is, so this is just a good opportunity to reevaluate in what ways I want to be online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Isko posted:

Hey man, I'm just being honest here. I think what I said is true for most people who use any form of social media whether they realize it or admit it or not. Drip feeding constant content like its morphine with ads in between is the ultimate form of any social media company under capitalism. I've already been thinking about how much time I spend on this poo poo and how good or bad it is, so this is just a good opportunity to reevaluate in what ways I want to be online.

It's extremely close to literal "If you want happiness, you need to buy" poo poo from MORE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCeeTfsm8bk

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Bananana posted:

Lol,

"In an internal memo sent Monday afternoon to Reddit staff, CEO Steve Huffman addressed the recent blowback directed at the company, telling employees to block out the “noise” and that the ongoing blackout of thousands of subreddits will eventually pass."

Per The Berge

I mean I kinda agree imo. I don’t really see any lasting changes of this blackout. While I agree with the intention behind it, I can’t help but feel like everyone will go back to :justpost: after they’ve had their little community activity. Will be happy to be proven wrong though.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The frustrating part is that if they really wanted to pass on the expense to users, just have a user’s account provide that authorization for API access automatically after login if the user has puchased a subscription for ad-free API access, then add some basic rate limiting to prevent someone from attaching a scraper to it or something; this isn’t rocket science.

Third party app devs aren’t left holding the bag for the issue (although it would certainly still affect them, as some folks couldn’t afford it) but there is a core of reasonability here surrounded by a bunch of bullshit - it does cost money to run a site like Reddit, and they should figure out a way to make that up. I for once would absolutely pay a subscription fee to cover my API usage with no ads as long as I got to use BaconReader instead of the garbage app.

It’d still be a thing you’d need to give devs more than a month notice for to allow them to restructure their apps, but there’s a world where Reddit is doing this in a way that accomplishes their actual stated goals without being enormous jerks about it.

The problem is that’s not really what’s going on here. It’s not just about the server fees, although I’m sure that’s part of it. Look at the part where spez said ‘oh the apollo dev threatened us’ and then changed his tune to ‘the apollo dev is unstable and leaked private phone calls’ when the reason they leaked those was because the reddit admins literally lied about a phone call and he released it to prove that they did.

That more than anything is extremely damning to me, because it shows that it’s not just ‘business pressures caused us to deprioritize something we wanted to do’, but instead it’s ‘we’re willfully lying about something and then refusing to back down when called out about it.’

Who knows what will happen on wednesday, but I'm going to at least try and shift my focus elsewhere when possible.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

reddit's telling me I broke reddit and I'm pretty sure reddit broke reddit

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

The Voice of Labor posted:

reddit's telling me I broke reddit and I'm pretty sure reddit broke reddit

Nah, just AWS making GBS threads the bed again

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

buglord posted:

I mean I kinda agree imo. I don’t really see any lasting changes of this blackout. While I agree with the intention behind it, I can’t help but feel like everyone will go back to :justpost: after they’ve had their little community activity. Will be happy to be proven wrong though.

100% but I will lol if this continues into their upcoming ipo and fucks with it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Lemon Trees posted:

Redditors are some of the worst people I've ever had the pleasure I've meeting. Every one of them has been incredibly unpleasant.

I would never admit to attending a meetup

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

a reddit meetup sounds even worse than a goon meet lmao

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I went to an eve online goon meet one time and I did cocaine with a stranger and woke up on the floor of a hotel room that wasn’t mine across state lines

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Deki posted:

100% but I will lol if this continues into their upcoming ipo and fucks with it.

reddit forcibly reopening the subs and all of them turning into cesspits with advertisers pulling their ads out and that loving with the ipo seems a very likely outcome to me

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

hello internet posted:

I went to an eve online goon meet one time and I did cocaine with a stranger and woke up on the floor of a hotel room that wasn’t mine across state lines

Sounds like you had fun.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

buglord posted:

idk. as a reddit mod (sorry), just not doing free labor for a corporation that's about to go public feels pretty good regardless of how this shakes out. will probably just keep my poo poo locked indefinitely. maybe hand it off to anyone who asks and doesn't seem awful, but eh, :effort:

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
imma probably continue to use it with google for a while (google search term + reddit) but I imagine that will eventually stop being so useful as the site gets more and more ai bots posting poo poo.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Insanite posted:

idk. as a reddit mod (sorry), just not doing free labor for a corporation that's about to go public feels pretty good regardless of how this shakes out. will probably just keep my poo poo locked indefinitely. maybe hand it off to anyone who asks and doesn't seem awful, but eh, :effort:

yeah but have you considered said corporation is really lovely at actually making money so its almost like you're working for a non-profit.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The blackout has shown how poo poo Google search is these days.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 13, 2023

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Tech CEO’s once again proving that they’re drooling idiot monkeys who, when faced with a basic problem, will immediately and repeatedly press the “make everything suck” button. Reminds me of that essay I read online somewhere that defines idiocy as knowingly picking the Lose-Lose option.

There is absolutely nothing here that furthers Reddit’s goals. It doesn’t make them more money, it doesn’t really save money (sounds like their official app is actually more expensive in API calls per user) and it doesn’t improve their IPO opportunities. Just a huge black mark that makes the whole site revealed to be a dumb toxic swamp.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

Who the gently caress uses an app to browse specific websites instead of just safari/chrome which is basically a replication of the desktop browser

like what

An app is easier and often has better layout and support for poo poo, as opposed to awkwardly tapping around a badly designed mobile site + trying to deal with the browser options and the weird scrolling behaviour

e.g. I'm using Awful right now and it's such a better experience compared to using the normal site even on desktop

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Most apps are websites under the hood

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Falcon2001 posted:

The frustrating part is that if they really wanted to pass on the expense to users, just have a user’s account provide that authorization for API access automatically after login if the user has puchased a subscription for ad-free API access, then add some basic rate limiting to prevent someone from attaching a scraper to it or something; this isn’t rocket science.

They aren't trying to pass the expense on to the users. The pricing model they're going with makes a lot more sense when you remember that they're trying to sell API access to Google and Facebook because 100,000 daily text posts from tens of thousands of different people is really useful for training things like GPT-4 and all of those are currently being scraped more or less for free.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i got permabanned from the r/sysadmin subreddit for telling some boomer jughead guy that he wasted his life serving in the military. afterward i looked and determined that the mod who banned me is also a military dinosaur so I clearly struck a chord lol. that subreddit was the only thing I still went on reddit for, so RIP.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Sure, but there’s a difference between UI and how they’re built

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

Sure, but there’s a difference between UI and how they’re built

You'd be surprised at how often it isn't the case. Funnily enough Awful is one of the few apps I use rather than a mobile browser. Reddit, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and (before it was killed) Google reader were my main websites and I never used apps for them as the mobile version was either identical or at least functional (although for reddit it really needs old reddit to function on a phone).

The main reason I avoid using apps though is because back in the old, old days privacy settings were terrible. There was drama with LinkedIn in particular where they stole users' contacts and drained the battery from how aggressive their device monitoring was. While privacy is now better, it's still pretty bad which is why it's not uncommon to make an app that's just a chromium browser window showing the mobile site that doubles as basically spyware.

Also I like having the option of scrolling down a page first and opening a bunch of tabs to read through later which I've never seen present in any app version of a site.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Frogz posted:

I like it. You mean something like this?

This is great but should line break after "userbase" imo (in my opinion).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Further Reading posted:

You'd be surprised at how often it isn't the case. Funnily enough Awful is one of the few apps I use rather than a mobile browser. Reddit, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and (before it was killed) Google reader were my main websites and I never used apps for them as the mobile version was either identical or at least functional (although for reddit it really needs old reddit to function on a phone).

The main reason I avoid using apps though is because back in the old, old days privacy settings were terrible. There was drama with LinkedIn in particular where they stole users' contacts and drained the battery from how aggressive their device monitoring was. While privacy is now better, it's still pretty bad which is why it's not uncommon to make an app that's just a chromium browser window showing the mobile site that doubles as basically spyware.

Also I like having the option of scrolling down a page first and opening a bunch of tabs to read through later which I've never seen present in any app version of a site.

The thing I liked about Apollo is that it was basically an app version of old.reddit with a ton more features. RIP.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

They can complain all they want about data costs and everything, as long as /r/cozyplaces continues to stay up.

That place just sends nice zaps to my brain.

Awkward Davies posted:

The thing I liked about Apollo is that it was basically an app version of old.reddit with a ton more features. RIP.
I feel like we're not a million miles away from old.reddit getting scrapped entirely.

The redesign is so washed out and 'bleh'.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

turn off the TV posted:

They aren't trying to pass the expense on to the users. The pricing model they're going with makes a lot more sense when you remember that they're trying to sell API access to Google and Facebook because 100,000 daily text posts from tens of thousands of different people is really useful for training things like GPT-4 and all of those are currently being scraped more or less for free.

And they’ll continue to be scraped for free. ChatGPT-2 was clearly trained on a few sites that don’t have an open API.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Bananana posted:

Lol,

"In an internal memo sent Monday afternoon to Reddit staff, CEO Steve Huffman addressed the recent blowback directed at the company, telling employees to block out the “noise” and that the ongoing blackout of thousands of subreddits will eventually pass."

Per The Berge

Did you see the part where he was telling employees to not wear reddit swag in public because...

Lemon Trees posted:

Redditors are some of the worst people I've ever had the pleasure I've meeting. Every one of them has been incredibly unpleasant.

...I guess some redditors are irl mad about this.

Remember when Reddit fired an intern/employee that assisted with the AMAs? I can't even remember but you'd thought Conde Nast threw this woman out a 48 story window. I can't even remember what Ellen Pao did but they called her names for months.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

first reddit then cormac mccarthy. dark times for the written word

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

Sure, but the protest isn't because users don't want Google/etc being charged, they could have avoided a lot of the problems here if they hadn't hosed over third party apps that users are using.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Internet Old One posted:

And they’ll continue to be scraped for free. ChatGPT-2 was clearly trained on a few sites that don’t have an open API.

Really makes you wonder if the people who wanted to keep valuable communities like "r/picsofdeadjailbait" on their website might be dumb assholes who don't think things through very well

Falcon2001 posted:

Sure, but the protest isn't because users don't want Google/etc being charged, they could have avoided a lot of the problems here if they hadn't hosed over third party apps that users are using.

I don't think that the interest of the site's users really entered the equation there. Killing third party apps like this is a very low effort way to get more people to use their lovely app and curb ad free viewing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

Really makes you wonder if the people who wanted to keep valuable communities like "r/picsofdeadjailbait" on their website might be dumb assholes who don't think things through very well

I don't think that the interest of the site's users really entered the equation there. Killing third party apps like this is a very low effort way to get more people to use their lovely app and curb ad free viewing.

I mean I think we basically both agree, but that lack of interest is why 8k+ subreddits are dark right now and a bunch won't ever come back online without the admins forcing them back online and replacing the mods. Basically, I'm just saying 'wow that's an awful lot of goodwill to light on fire for reasons that don't match up with your public statements'. There's absolutely a way they could have approached this without this huge user rebellion.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Lusty Grundles posted:

They can complain all they want about data costs and everything, as long as /r/cozyplaces continues to stay up.

That place just sends nice zaps to my brain.

I feel like we're not a million miles away from old.reddit getting scrapped entirely.

The redesign is so washed out and 'bleh'.

old.reddit is definitely on the chopping block. Only question if it's before or after the IPO.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i just kinda assumed that everyone uses old.reddit if they use the site at all

their default layout is unusably bad, and the forever scroll thing seems hang indefinitely by about the 2nd or 3rd time you do it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Falcon2001 posted:

There's absolutely a way they could have approached this without this huge user rebellion.

nope. the soul teleological drive of capitalism is to increase capital in the short term with 0 concern for externalities, consequences or what a goldfish would consider long term planning

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

i just kinda assumed that everyone uses old.reddit if they use the site at all

their default layout is unusably bad, and the forever scroll thing seems hang indefinitely by about the 2nd or 3rd time you do it

I will straight up remove Reddit from any sort of rotation if they remove old.Reddit

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't see how anyone sane can moderate on reddit. gently caress, I've modded three different subforums here over the years and despite the communities being overall great and having other active mods to shoulder the load it's still a pain in the rear end to do it well (and to be fair, I hosed up a lot).

Shuffling multiple major subreddits to moderate sounds like insanity, like why would anyone dedicate their free time to do that over simply enjoying life?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Yeah but they also come with app specific context menus and arent constantly trying to show me a url bar as i scroll about

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Nowher posted:

old.reddit is definitely on the chopping block. Only question if it's before or after the IPO.

If they’re playing the Twitter Musk playbook it’ll stop working after the CEO just starts wandering around the office unplugging various servers. Some Pentium 4 beige box will be smashed with a hammer for the lolz and old.Reddit will finally go down for good.

This will be followed by pivoting to long form video and committing obvious employment crimes in full sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

The only subreddit I could stand to be a part of for the community aspect of it, was one called CasualUK. Broadly seems a decent bunch of folks, bit cliquey and the rules there do force an undertone of general naive whimsy that simply doesn't exist in 2023 but the best compliment I could pay it is that if you removed the branding, it wouldn't really feel like you were on reddit. That's 100% because of how it's been put together and ran.

It's a shame I can't get a screenshot or anything, but they posted up the mod stats from there. To achieve what they have, there are multiple folks there putting in part-time jobs' worth of hours. Absolutely by no means a large community at all either.

There's labour of love, and then there's moderating a community against a growing wave of bots and shills just so you can maintain a tidy little corner of the internet where someone isn't reminding you how objectively poo poo all of this is (or trying to sell you a solution to it).