Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

I really hope they don’t have a mechanic as obtuse as the decadence one though, that took me loving forever to figure out. Also the province management, trade and building UIs should be so much better.

Dev Diary 2 posted:

One of the key features of Field of Glory: Kingdoms is the Authority and Disorder system, which allows players to manage their kingdom and maintain order.

With the Authority concept, players can maintain control over their population, promulgate edicts, and declare war on their enemies. However, be careful not to let your realm fall into disorder, as this can result in challenges from your heirs and unruly vassals. As one of the main tools to measure your progress, Authority will also allow a change in your system of government, and here Kingdoms offers many more possibilities than in its predecessor, Empires.

Authority is perhaps the most important new concept in Kingdoms, as its influence literally courses through all game elements - from loyalty to succession to warfare.

But the game presents a delicate balance between maintaining control and expanding your kingdom, as expansion will create tension with powerful neighbors. Indeed, a large Authority rating will make you clash with nearby similarly minded nations.

So, to become a formidable force, you will have to walk the thin line between being small enough to keep things firmly under control and large enough to progress to a more formidable status.

Will you be a humble county, or will you raise to be the equal of the mighty Byzantine Empire? Nothing is written in stone and even as a modest Northumbrian noble, you too can become the King of England. Or perhaps you would rather ascend from being a Novgorod prince to the King of all of Rus’? There will be only one in such a position though and expect a fierce struggle to ensue.

The Authority and Disorder system while being very flavourful and thematic to middle-age games also prevents easy snow-balling and captures the rise and fall of empires/kingdoms.

e: Called it

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Do these people need yet another book that says the exact same poo poo as every other book as this topic? For fucks sake

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I have to imagine the current political climate is ripe for people writing books "reevaluating" Axis\USSR capabilities again more in line with the current narrative.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Do these people need yet another book that says the exact same poo poo as every other book as this topic? For fucks sake

They have to banish Glantz and fellow travelers from the academy.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

the battle generator is not worth it imo and Empires UI needs some major work

hes right

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wargame Design Studio just announced that their next big sale is going to run from June 16 to July 4

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Strategy/ management game about the Czechoslovak Legion during the Russian Civil War

https://www.pcgamer.com/last-train-home-reveal-trailer-pcgs-2023/

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Strategy/ management game about the Czechoslovak Legion during the Russian Civil War

https://www.pcgamer.com/last-train-home-reveal-trailer-pcgs-2023/

quote:

"The soldiers have diverse opinions based on their individual experiences, which are reflected in their beliefs," managing director of Ashborne Games Petr Kolář says. "Players are faced with difficult decisions and must confront the consequences. For instance, choosing an option that is unfavorable to supporters of the monarchy may result in a decrease in morale. On the other hand, the same option might gain the respect of religious crew members."

the two sides of ideological conflict in 1917 Russia, monarchy vs. religion

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

the two sides of ideological conflict in 1917 Russia, monarchy vs. religion

Is very lol inducing

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I was hooting and clapping at this, the new Like a Dragon and Starfield.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I tried playing The Dark Summer today. I got through turn 1 before while leabing on the map it got stuck to me than scattered a bunch of units so thats where I said I was done

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2418000/Combat_Mission_Red_Thunder/

Combat Mission: Red Thunder, covering the Eastern Front in 1944, is getting a Steam release on June 15

Slava Ukraini

and it looks like most of the other Combat Missions on Steam are discounted through to the 20th of June (as part of a wider Steam Summer Sale?)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2418000/Combat_Mission_Red_Thunder/

Combat Mission: Red Thunder, covering the Eastern Front in 1944, is getting a Steam release on June 15

Slava Ukraini

and it looks like most of the other Combat Missions on Steam are discounted through to the 20th of June (as part of a wider Steam Summer Sale?)

I haven't gone through the trouble of porting my games yet. Red Thunder is second best, after Fortress Italy, IMO but the ratio of German to Russian campaigns is pretty annoying.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Finally won a game as the Western Roman Empire on hard mode in Attila TW. Was probably the most difficult TW experience I can remember.

The keys were:
1. destroy all your churches turn 1 and turn 2 for a huge money boost + eliminating upkeep for good income boost
2. get as many trade deals as you can, try to get Alamans or someone in that area to sign a non-aggression pact and later an alliance to serve as a lightning rod
3. invest that money into legions + income buildings, the 2 gold trade good provinces (galicia and sw france) and the dye trade good province (Libya) are great candidates, put up trade ports wherever you can also. Put governors in the 4 provinces making the most bank to maximize that
4. invest the income you've now created into solving food problems in all provinces, use cows as they are both the most climate change resistant and make a lot more money than grain.
5. right away send or raise a total of 3 legions to conquer everything in the British Isles, raise a moderate size navy in the channel to prevent hordes from getting past the British Isles. Once they're all conquered you can hold this area down with just 1 navy and 1 legion.
6. keep 1 legion in Africa for stability and in case any of the 3 assholes here tries something. Try to get trade and non-aggression with as many of them as possible though, as stability here helps a ton. If things turn to war, you should be able to conquer everything with 2 legions, so send one over as soon as available, which usually means once all the Brits are subdued.
7. keep 3 or 4 legions on border duty, 1 around the Rhine, primarily towards either the Franks or Alamans, depending on who you managed to trade with and the other 3 in the Balkans / Switzerland area. Compliment these with the guard post buildings in the small (non-walled) cities whenever money becomes available after the food problems are solved.
8. the remaining 2 or 3 legions are on internal stability duty, together with all 3 priests you recruit turn 1. Play rebel-whack-a-mole where required, but try to prioritize wiping out hordes within your borders whenever you can, as it stops them loving up happiness and income by raiding. Whenever you have money start stabilizing provinces by getting the forum --> arena, governor and sanitation buildings. Arenas also spread paganism, but this is offset by the huge happiness bonus, religious unrest capping out at only a -5 happiness penalty, and arenas giving quite a bit of income.
9. research only 1 or 2 military techs, and then all of the first tier civil techs, again for more income. Your starting units are mostly fine and don't need upgrades as much as you need cash and happiness. However, don't research any technologies that disable buildings, especially the sanitation buildings, for a very long time. You need the highest level of sanitation (aquaduct network or something like that) in every single province first.
10. always fight every single city defense battle. If all you got is the standard garrison, try to bunch up in a small areas close to a tower defending yourself from all sides, maybe with a barricade. Some maps are better than others for this. Even if you lose you'll do insane damage to the enemy, and you should be able to easily reconquer and hopefully wipe out the horde if a legion is nearby. You'll win a lot more than you'd think though.

Once Britain and Africa are secure and the hordes are out of your borders you are basically stable and it's only a matter of waiting for Attila himself to show and murdering him while making your way through the tech tree to get unit upgrades. I eventually went all-in on Christianity for the RP aspect of it, but I suspect it might be better to never do so and just go all-in on arenas instead.

Number 1. feels like a design flaw, and number 10. is exploiting AI weakness, but I don't know how you'd play a campaign of this succesfully otherwise. You still lose if the Eastern Roman Emperor is randomly generated to be a huge dick and cancels your trade treaty in the first couple turns before your mutual wars have increased relations beyond that being a concern. Only lost 2 provinces in the Balkans to Huns showing up with 5 stacks to burn them to the ground, and colonized them back rather quickly anyway. Everything else was very temporary rebel or horde occupation, and even that a lot less than you'd think. Eastern Romans did a decent-ish job maintaining territorial integrity.

Is the Charlemagne expansion any good?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Orange Devil posted:

Finally won a game as the Western Roman Empire on hard mode in Attila TW. Was probably the most difficult TW experience I can remember.

10. always fight every single city defense battle. If all you got is the standard garrison, try to bunch up in a small areas close to a tower defending yourself from all sides, maybe with a barricade. Some maps are better than others for this. Even if you lose you'll do insane damage to the enemy, and you should be able to easily reconquer and hopefully wipe out the horde if a legion is nearby. You'll win a lot more than you'd think though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UIteDF4eII

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i havent played stellaris in like 18 months, is it still fun or did they reimagine the game again and make it stupid

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

i havent played stellaris in like 18 months, is it still fun or did they reimagine the game again and make it stupid

it's still fun and also they reimagined the game again and made it stupid

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

It was never fun.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

what settings are best for the pop growth modifiers they added, played a game recently and my planets after the initial 3 barely grew at all

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m doing an Attila run too, only as the Huns.

I’m stuck at 3 stacks because I can’t get enough money flowing in to offset their startup costs and I rolled up in Illyria only for the marcomans to have just as many and I get squashed. I think I might start over and build up in the east first. The Suebians already took Rome anyway. Attila hasn’t even come if age yet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

It was never fun.

I really tried to like that game but I found that reading people's posts about it was much better than playing it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think it could be fun but only as a space psycho which is the only type of empire people from the games forum ever made

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Most of them aren't quite as extreme as that first fight, but yeah, Roman units can defend and the AI can't attack cities very good. You need more units against Huns though. Other horde's early game units are rear end and having to fight Romans head on in a chokepoint leads to slaughter.

Oh yeah I guess also the AI doesn't resettle razed territories so razing a buffer zone of the entire Carpathian basin + southern Germany to the ground gives you some protection as non-hordes are further away and not directly bordering you so more likely to just gently caress off or go fight eachother rather than you. Helpfully, the Huns will do a good chunk of that razing for you. They seem to really hate the Carpathian basin.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Jun 14, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I thought charlemagne was more fun than base attila

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I got a bit into a Charlemagne campaign as the Avars but found that their position was incredibly hard and tedious on the strategic level but also the AI had apparently completely forgotten how to deal with horse archers and I could wipe out stronger armies behind fortifications because they'd sally out to get shot to pieces

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Charlemagne is in the upper tier of semi-expansions for Total War games. I thought it was pretty good at the time

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

is age of wonders 4 good?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is it me or is the unit ai in command modern operations noticeably shittier than its predecessor

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Megamissen posted:

is age of wonders 4 good?

it's decent. better than Age of Wonders 3 and significantly better than Planetfall, but it can get a little samey since it'd almost too customisable, meaning the base unit types etc are too set in stone and the race choice is more of an aesthetic thing than anything else since you can change their bonuses. it also funnels you into a particularly magic-heavy lategame regardless and if a game goes long you end up picking up lots of magic tomes that don't really gel with whatever theme you've been pursuing, so it doesn't feel as thematically tight as previous AOW games. it's cool though and I had good fun with it for a bit. will probably go back to it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Stairmaster posted:

is it me or is the unit ai in command modern operations noticeably shittier than its predecessor

They keep updating it to have more capabilities, and for the simulation of certain things like missile dynamics to be much more complicated (because the Ukraine War is driving interest in the Professional Edition IMO), but the side effect is that AI now needs to account for some pretty insane levels of simulation granularity, beaming missiles and other air combat manoeuvring for example. I don't think it's up to the task.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

John Charity Spring posted:

it's decent. better than Age of Wonders 3 and significantly better than Planetfall

Haven't played 4 (it'd melt my computer, but otherwise I've heard good things about it) but I can't stand this diss to Planetfall. It's a really fun game that has its share of flaws, but a lot of people don't give it a fair shake because they just assume that unit archetypes are similar to previous games, and they're very much not. (Also, city management was dire on release, but that was quickly reworked)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

my dad posted:

Haven't played 4 (it'd melt my computer, but otherwise I've heard good things about it) but I can't stand this diss to Planetfall. It's a really fun game that has its share of flaws, but a lot of people don't give it a fair shake because they just assume that unit archetypes are similar to previous games, and they're very much not. (Also, city management was dire on release, but that was quickly reworked)

I haven't played Planetfall since release but I remember the bad city management and my other main memory is that the generic sci-fi setting sent me to sleep, whereas the generic fantasy setting in Age of Wonders somehow works for me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The first mission giving you a showdown between factions that are boring standard humans with some sort of basic rifle infatry was one of the more baffling decisions in the game. But there's quite a bit of cool, weird stuff in the game overall.

e: Admittedly, I keep rolling my eyes at topical political humor of the Shakarn (space infiltrator lizardmen who steal your cows for science) flavor texts, despite enjoying their playstyle the most.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ive been enjoying Age of Wonders 4 but it gets kinda tedious fast. the classic problem of these kind of games: that ferrying your units from your cities to the conflict sucks, makes city management seems relatively pointless.

the combat is interesting, but since you don't want to lose units (and then have to ferry them for 10 turns) I mainly take on safe battles...so then I auto-battle since the AI is good enough and the outcome is determined.

the customization stuff is loads of fun, and its cool to like turn your frog people into giant metallic frogs with rocks sticking out of them through spells. but also the decisions here seem relatively simple. Do I have the mana income to cover the upkeep? then do the race spells.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

They keep updating it to have more capabilities, and for the simulation of certain things like missile dynamics to be much more complicated (because the Ukraine War is driving interest in the Professional Edition IMO), but the side effect is that AI now needs to account for some pretty insane levels of simulation granularity, beaming missiles and other air combat manoeuvring for example. I don't think it's up to the task.

this is so sad

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Did anyone's orders for Mr. President or People's Power show up yet?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
obscure conflict alert

Strategic Command: American Civil War - 1904 Imperial Sunrise is coming soon

quote:

On June 29th, we will be releasing the 1.08 patch for Strategic Command: American Civil War. In addition to the usual fixes and improvements, and as a way of celebrating the first anniversary of the game’s launch, this update also includes a brand new campaign, available for free to everyone who owns the game!

In this developer diary, we introduce 1904 Imperial Sunrise, covering the Russo-Japanese War.

The story of the Russo-Japanese War began with Japan’s victory over China in 1895. In a war lasting a mere eight months, Japan had destroyed the Chinese Navy, asserted Japanese influence over Korea, conquered Formosa and captured Port Arthur, perhaps the finest harbour in the region. Yet the ink on the resultant Treaty of Shimonoseki had scarcely dried before Russia, with the support of France and Germany, pressured Japan to return Port Arthur to China in exchange for an enlarged war indemnity.

The Tsar, whose contempt for the Japanese dated back to an attempted assassination during an 1891 state visit to the country, had his own ambitions in the Far East. Within a few short years, Russia had deployed thousands of soldiers in Manchuria, established and fortified the naval base at Port Arthur, and was making moves to gain influence in Korea, causing alarm in Tokyo. When negotiations with St Petersburg stalled, the Japanese felt the only option left to them was war.

The Sun Rises

The campaign begins on the morning of February 9, 1904, and the Japanese player is immediately faced with decisions that will shape the outcome of the war.

In the Yellow Sea, Admiral Togo is stationed with the bulk of the Combined Fleet outside Port Arthur. The previous night, Japanese torpedo boats launched a surprise attack against the Russian Pacific Fleet, damaging several ships but sinking none, and the decision must now be made regarding a second strike: the Russian defences at Port Arthur are not yet fully prepared, and the damage suffered the previous night renders them vulnerable.

However, a more cautious approach may be worth considering instead. Port Arthur, located at the tip of the Liaodong Peninsula, is vulnerable to blockade by both land and sea. A sustained naval presence in the Yellow Sea, supported by naval mines, may be able to trap the Russian Navy in port without the need for an immediate, and costly, battle. Of course, this also risks the Russians attempting to fight their way out…

Japan’s greatest advantage lays in the preparations it has made before declaring war. Lessons learned from the war against China, and extensive training since, have provided Japanese units with a significant advantage in experience, while generous recruitment of local civilians in China and Korea will provide Japan with a generally favourable supply situation and regular intelligence updates.

Challenges of Deployment

With Tokyo having realised that further negotiations with the Tsar’s government would be fruitless by the end of 1903, the Imperial Army was mobilised and ready for battle. At the same time that Togo struck the Russian Fleet at Port Arthur, detachments of the IJA First Army were disembarking at Chemulpo, repeating a manoeuvre that had served them so well ten years prior.

These units, the 2nd and 12th Divisions, as well as General Kuroki’s headquarters, while sufficient to ensure the capitulation of the Korean government, represent merely the forward detachments for the Japanese land campaign. The rest of the Imperial Army begins the campaign still stationed on the Home Islands, and it will be up to you to manage their deployment in Korea and Manchuria, a task that will require you to navigate shortages of transport ships, frozen harbours (at least until the ice melts), and the constant threat of Russian cruisers.

Playing as Russia, you will need to plan the deployment of your forces carefully. While the Tsar’s army boasts more than a million soldiers (albeit lacking the quality of the Japanese army), these are deployed primarily in Europe and Central Asia, far from the likely battlefields of Manchuria. Russia’s industrial power dwarfs that of the Japanese, but the capacity of the Trans-Siberian Railroad limits the number of men that can be sent to the Far East.

Unlike Japan, Russia’s army (excepting the 100,000 men scattered across various small garrisons in the region) does not begin deployed on the map. Taking the place of Viceroy Alekseyev, you will need to request which units to send to the Far East via the Unit Purchase Screen. Sending these units will take time, forcing you to plan your battles several months in advance to ensure you have sufficient men on hand when the time comes.

A Race Against Time

No matter which side you choose to command, the calendar will be your enemy.

For Japan, the reasons for this are obvious. Going to war at all was a huge gamble by the leadership in Tokyo, as while Russia could count on nearly unlimited reserves of manpower, Japan meanwhile had virtually no reserves, and with less access to foreign markets than the Russians, it also risks financial collapse if the war drags on too long.

However, thanks to its pre-war preparations, Japan – provided the Imperial Navy can keep the supply routes to Korea open – can deploy its forces to the battlefield much more quickly than the Russians, providing them with a short-lived quantitative advantage. Japan therefore faces a dilemma: a rapid advance offers the best chance to deal a devastating blow to the Russian military before their numbers become too overwhelming, but this will result in heavier casualties that Japan can ill afford and will erode the quality of their units: quality that may well prove the difference in battles to come.

Russia too can scarcely afford delay. While in the long run the strength of the Russian Army in the Far East will grow to eclipse that of the Japanese, initially the Manchurian garrisons under Generals Zasulich and Kuropatkin will face an overwhelming advance, and merely 200 miles separate the Yalu River from Port Arthur, a distance the Japanese covered in just two months in 1894.

Furthermore, the prestige and reputation of the Tsar himself have been staked on the outcome of this war. No Asian nation has ever defeated a European power in a major conflict, placing enormous pressure on Russia to win a swift and decisive victory or risk great humiliation. With discontent growing against the Tsar’s autocratic regime, perhaps the Tsar’s interior minister said it best: “In order to prevent revolution, we need a little victorious war.”

Do You See the Torpedo Boats?

Success in this campaign will ultimately depend on your ability to achieve mastery both on land and at sea. With expectations of victory set so high by leaders in both Tokyo and St Petersburg, your nation’s Fighting Spirit will be rapidly eroded by even small reverses – the sinking of a battleship or the capture of a mere provincial city could be the difference between triumph and disaster.

Should the Imperial Navy fail to contain the Russian fleets in Port Arthur and Vladivostok, the Russians may be able to strike at Japan’s Fighting Spirit more directly, by imposing a blockade of Japan. By moving their warships, even for only a brief time, on or adjacent to any of the marked locations around the Japanese and Korean coastlines, Russia can disrupt Japanese trade and humiliate the Japanese Navy in a way that China never managed to in 1894. A sustained blockade may even doom the Japanese overland campaigns, as Russian warships cut the sea routes between the Home Islands and Korea, preventing the Imperial Army from receiving reinforcements.

Or will it be the greatest reinforcement of all that determines the outcome of the war?

The Russian Baltic Fleet is perhaps this conflict’s most remarkable chapter. Historically, the Baltic Fleet, or Second Pacific Squadron as it was officially called from mid-1904, embarked on an epic eight-month voyage halfway around the world (a journey both audacious and absurd), only to be destroyed in the Battle of Tsushima mere days before reaching their destination of Vladivostok. In the campaign, players will be provided notifications of the Baltic Fleet’s travels around the coasts of Europe and Africa, before the ships themselves deploy on the map in May 1905. Plan for it carefully, and the arrival of Rozhestvensky’s “miserable fleet” could be the decisive moment of the war!

“The Empire’s fate depends upon the outcome of this battle. Let everyone do his best”

- Admiral Togo, before the Battle of Tsushima.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That's the only Strategic Command game I have but I didn't pick up any of the DLCs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Speaking of Port Arthur, Japan massacred up to 20K soldiers and civilians after conquering the place, just in case anyone was not aware that Japanese atrocities vs China have a long history prior to WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They treated the garrison famously well? Like, let officers keep their swords and everything. Created a town in Japan for POWs where they were allowed to walk around freely, shop at stores, send mail.

It's one of the biggest puzzles for historians trying to explain Japanese behaviour in WW2.