Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just lol at trying to put contacts in with wings for arms. There's a reasons you only ever see birds in glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

dr_rat posted:

Just lol at trying to put contacts in with wings for arms. There's a reasons you only ever see birds in glasses.

I was going to yell post at you and tell you that i've never seen a bird wearing glasses but then i suddenly remembered that i have, in fact, seen a bird in glasses. not just glasses, but sunglasses.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I watched the whole Greer Monday livestream. All either hearsay or stuff that isn't falsifiable (Can't find the evidence? Well then the powerful deep state government moved it. That person isn't confirming my story? Well they were intimidated into silence). Seemed likely to be a masterclass in grifting fools, and it's quite sad if he and others on the project are telling the truth because the way they are doing it would be harming the cause by speaking out like this without evidence. Also pretty cringeworthy because if the people he got up on stage are not just talented actors who are in on it then he comes off as seeming to be manipulating some military vets with some serious cognitive/emotional problems.

On the flip side, if he is actually working for the government as part of some psy-op to fool idiots or muddy the water for some reason, I guess it's hard for me to judge whether he's doing a good job or not.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i vacillate between whether greer is a super credulous True Believer or just a complete grifter

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

ever see the biblical description of an angel?

that's a fish

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BRB, getting the can of flying insect killer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Amarcarts posted:

I watched the whole Greer Monday livestream. All either hearsay or stuff that isn't falsifiable (Can't find the evidence? Well then the powerful deep state government moved it. That person isn't confirming my story? Well they were intimidated into silence). Seemed likely to be a masterclass in grifting fools, and it's quite sad if he and others on the project are telling the truth because the way they are doing it would be harming the cause by speaking out like this without evidence. Also pretty cringeworthy because if the people he got up on stage are not just talented actors who are in on it then he comes off as seeming to be manipulating some military vets with some serious cognitive/emotional problems.

On the flip side, if he is actually working for the government as part of some psy-op to fool idiots or muddy the water for some reason, I guess it's hard for me to judge whether he's doing a good job or not.

I don’t think he can be a grifter because he’s giving up a lifetime of well-paid MIC consulting work to be a fringe-dwelling weirdo with a radioactive reputation. If anything, he’s the target of some kind of game.

Why would anyone make public statements about aliens without undeniable proof? I want someone to ask him if he would have believed the things he’s saying without proof, but I guess he did.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t think he can be a grifter because he’s giving up a lifetime of well-paid MIC consulting work to be a fringe-dwelling weirdo with a radioactive reputation. If anything, he’s the target of some kind of game.

Why would anyone make public statements about aliens without undeniable proof? I want someone to ask him if he would have believed the things he’s saying without proof, but I guess he did.

you're conflating greer (grifter or stooge) and grusch (whistleblower)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yes, I meant grusch. I have not been paying attention to the other guy.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bula Vinaka posted:

that's a fish

Looks like some kind of very large pastry to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

antidote posted:

The world loving sucks and I think we all need aliens right about now, ok

Wouldn't actual discovery of alien intelligence be pretty bad news in general though?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Wouldn't actual discovery of alien intelligence be pretty bad news in general though?

depends on lovely they are, really

naem
May 29, 2011

maybe humanity could unite against a common foe and be our best selves

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Speaking about Grusch, he definitely comes off as less of a "lone grifter" though it's a distinct possibility. I don't think we can underestimate peoples' desire to not have to do any real work in life by just collecting money from suckers. I'd almost be happier if this was the case. What weirds me out is when these people group up into an actual conspiracy, like an acting troupe of con-men, which are the vibes I get from Steven Greer since if he is swindling people he has a lot of help.

The most likely alternative I think would be that what's been going on the last 5 or 6 years is a sanctioned psy-op for prosaic purposes like flushing out foreign agents or something. You have a big pool of vetted loyal people who can "retire" and just spout some cover story for the rest of their lives while comfortably transitioning to civilian income.

There's a possibility it's all true, but after watching some of the debunking work from Mick West it really brings home the lack of evidence. There isn't any real widely available evidence of super-maneuverability or anything even close to the "Oprah shot".

If anyone from the government is reading this, I can totally keep a secret. Read me in and I'll shut up about it. I don't even need to be paid I can do paperwork in the SCIF and get people coffee and just generally be useful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

naem posted:

maybe humanity could unite against a common foe and be our best selves

People couldn't even unite against plague

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Khanstant posted:

People couldn't even unite against plague

We'd have a lot more luck in unifying as a species if the threat can be identified with the naked eye.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

depends on lovely they are, really

Just existentially, actual evidence of aliens, not the fantasy spaceship secret crash on earth nonsense, would say a lot about where we are in regards to a great filter and the only non-die-on-this-rock option hinges on DNA lifeforms being good instead of destructive competitors.

Not to mention all the good reasons alien civs would have to make sure life like us doesn't get to the point of being able to reach them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Just existentially, actual evidence of aliens, not the fantasy spaceship secret crash on earth nonsense, would say a lot about where we are in regards to a great filter and the only non-die-on-this-rock option hinges on DNA lifeforms being good instead of destructive competitors.

Not to mention all the good reasons alien civs would have to make sure life like us doesn't get to the point of being able to reach them.

i’m not sure it says a whole lot about great filters because without some degree of communication i’m not sure how much it can tell you. it could still be any number of factors ahead of or behind us and without some analysis of the other species i can’t see how you’d tell

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Finding alien life on another planet of any kind would be a very cool thing because it would suggest that life is not actually that rare. Even if it is Earth-descended, it would suggest that life is incredibly persistent and adaptable.

Finding intelligent life would do something far greater - people would have to find a different metaphor to represent their emotional state and opinion of human nature, because now there would be actual evidence. Or... would they?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would shift us into a new kind of loneliness, which would be novel for a while.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If you've read anything by the guy starting a science foundation (lol), the grifter, the 4chan random and thought "hmm these are things to consider" without any of them even offering a shred of evidence outside of "I know a dude" then you are some of the most naive people alive.

How did anyone read the 4chan thing and be willing to give it any credibility at all? How do you see these claims with no attached evidence and your assumption is "well I assume real evidence will come forward"? It boggles the mind.

Not a single thing posted in this thread has been any more of an eyebrow raiser than proven quacks from the 1940s. And the worst part is I actually believe aliens, in some capacity, are real. But not like, they visited me in my backyard horseshit.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Lt. Cock posted:

A man on tiktok told me that there was some such explosive disclosure conference yesterday

Edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?zDY7t6HihCw

Someone watch and tl;dr this and I promise to believe all of it

I have no idea how to link this correctly

I watched it.

Guy #1 is an old Air Force vet with many years of flight experience and high up in command. He flew U-2's and was in command of some nuclear thing in Europe. On a couple occasions he saw an unexplainable craft while he was flying. (moving in impossible directions, unusual lights, etc.) His superiors told him to shut up about it. I 100% believe he's an experienced pilot and saw some unnatural things he can't explain.

Guy #2 is a marine vet who was in Indonesia for a humanitarian mission after an earthquake. At one point he and his squad stumbled across a giant disc craft floating in the air in the jungle. Suddenly a bunch of Americans in unmarked black uniforms came up to them, put guns in their face, took their weapons and all their other id. They discussed among themselves if they should kill the marines, but eventually give them their stuff back and tell them to never speak about what they saw. They also saw cargo being loaded on the ship, and then it flew off at an insane rate of speed while making no sound or wind. It was implied that this is a USA controlled craft, and the cargo being loaded were human slaves/captives. They were scared shitless and didn't talk to anyone about it, but a few days later he was called in to meet with an unnamed Air Force General. He made him sign a NDA and told him he'd be in huge trouble if he ever talked about. Next day all the Marines found that their cell phones were stolen from the base. Apparently he reached out to his other squad mates now to disclose along with him, but they provided letters that they were too scared to do so. I don't know what to think... he seemed like a legit marine who had his full cognitive abilities.

Guy #3 prefaced his speech that he had brain damage from an Army incident. His story was long, rambling, and incoherent, but it comes down to interacting with a government controlled craft in the California desert. Sadly, I think his brain damage may have something to do with his story.

Guy #4 was an army guy whose father with a millionaire defense contractor. Some of his fathers friends asked him for his help and he agreed. He was transported to an undisclosed underground bunker and told to keep his eyes at his feet. He did not and saw a huge chunk of granite impossibly floating in the air in the bunker. Afterwards they asked him to sign a NDA. He declined so the next day they financially ruined his father. Then his father died from cancer and someone in the army intentionally injured him. I'm not sure I got this story right, it wasn't clear. This guy has been homeless and been through some bad stuff in his life, but not a very reliable character in my opinion.

Guy #5 was the most bonkers. He claimed he was involved in experiments at Montauk as a child because he was a genius, recruited into Project Stargate, and eventually worked at a science station in Antarctica for Raytheon. The science station was just a cover for more nefarious projects. They could shoot lasers in the air, do communications into space faster then the speed of light, had a covert nuclear powerplant, could control people's minds, communicate with aliens, and control the weather. Oh yeah, they accidently caused the earthquake in Christ Church New Zealand. He pitched his website at the end for more info. I want to check it out. There is no more info, but he is selling CBD products from it.

Guy #6 was Steven Greer again. They are trying to build a laboratory so they can open source free energy and help humanity. They just need $50 million to fund it. Please donate.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

If you've read anything by the guy starting a science foundation (lol), the grifter, the 4chan random and thought "hmm these are things to consider" without any of them even offering a shred of evidence outside of "I know a dude" then you are some of the most naive people alive.

How did anyone read the 4chan thing and be willing to give it any credibility at all? How do you see these claims with no attached evidence and your assumption is "well I assume real evidence will come forward"? It boggles the mind.

Not a single thing posted in this thread has been any more of an eyebrow raiser than proven quacks from the 1940s. And the worst part is I actually believe aliens, in some capacity, are real. But not like, they visited me in my backyard horseshit.

greer's a hilarious grifter and the 4chan thing is badly written scifi imo

grusch i absolutely think believes what he's saying so i'm curious as to how the investigation shakes out and in the worst case scenario we're going to get loads of great quotes about congresspeople asking about aliens

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I don't think so. Humanity is in such a weird funk (or is it just me?!) that even bad guys for us to unite against might be a good thing.

Edit: and if they zap us all right away, no big loss.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

you're right, but like 1 in 3 people believe the qanon posts so it's not that surprising when people get taken in by this stuff

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
It seems kind of sus that Greer marched a lot of crazies on stage and the Las Vegas hoax got airtime at the same time as Grusch going public.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

It would shift us into a new kind of loneliness, which would be novel for a while.

I think it's kind of that way no matter what. Even if there were a bunch of other star system expanding civs in the local group, and we all had easy ways to travel at light speed for millions of years, most of the universe is not only unreachable but over time you won't even be able to tell there was ever anything else out there.

Physics must be stopped if there is to be any hope for lifeforms anywhere.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

You're approaching it from a position of need evidence and reason to conclude the absurd. The folks eating this stuff already desperately want to believe or just already do and either way this sort of thing just feeds back into their forgone conclusion that aliens are weird people who crash and die here so our governments can tinker with their tech.

Every thing that should make you suspicious and disregard these claims or bullshit peddlers just reinforces the desired beliefs. Government allows these whistleblowers to talk? Must be real poo poo. Government doesn't allow them to talk? Wow they must really not want us to know this real poo poo.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Look buddy I know what I saw

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The fact that people believe in the Bible/religion but revoltingly scoff at the idea of alien life tells us all we need to know about humanity

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Pontificating rear end posted:

The fact that people believe in the Bible/religion but revoltingly scoff at the idea of alien life tells us all we need to know about humanity

bottom text

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

big if true

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Instead of all that hippie poo poo they should've put this post on the Voyager

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

I believe in both

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
god is real, is evil, and is a robot.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

god is real, is evil, and is a robot.

...so should we still worship it or not? Like I'm pretty easy either way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm sure, fine. Whatever. God likes to fly around in space a bunch, not sure that really changes the whole worship question any!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What would God need with an anal probe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Could god make a probe so big he couldn't fit it in his own rear end