Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
mass truck use for shifting cargo is also like horrifically inefficient in ways that are actually impossible to comprehend without getting severe vertigo. there is no excuse for trucking in the era of mass container shipping. we have ships and trains!!! the only worse thing we could be doing is airlifting the cargo instead, which im sure silicon valley is currently working on with a vc backing of $50b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mortons stork posted:

mass truck use for shifting cargo is also like horrifically inefficient in ways that are actually impossible to comprehend without getting severe vertigo. there is no excuse for trucking in the era of mass container shipping. we have ships and trains!!! the only worse thing we could be doing is airlifting the cargo instead, which im sure silicon valley is currently working on with a vc backing of $50b

they airlifted ps5's to the us in 2020 to make sure the launch went smoothly lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

nobody here is so dumb they don't understand basic physics. imho any product that can so easily toss you to the ground maybe isn't a perfect product, particularly for newer riders

Don't underestimate how incredibly dumb I can be.

And yeah, I'm not too sure having bad brakes that will not stop in an emergency is a lot better than having good brakes that will stop the bike but not you if used like they are binary toggles.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BonHair posted:

This has basically nothing to do with the type of brake, unless it's a super bad brake. The cause of throwing you over the handlebars is that the wheel relative to the road but you have a ton of momentum so you continue forwards, which then turns the bike (and you) around the front wheel axis, which then kills you. On the rear wheel, same thing happens, except the direction of the momentum is so that the front wheel tries to go down, which it can't, so less problem.

In sum, hard brake using the back break, and in general probably do 60/40 back/front braking, regardless of type.

Unless you're in a car, in which case engage the parking brake and don't ever let go.
:wrong:

Maximum braking power is attained when there is zero weight on the back wheel.

Any deceleration shifts weight forward - it doesn’t matter which brake is used. As such, rear braking is unable to pitch you over the bars, because as you grab the brake, more weight shifts forward, rendering it less effective, causing you to go into a skid long before you go over the bars. Skidding can make you lose control, and greatly increases stopping distance.

Emergency braking is best done with only the front brake, and shifting your bodyweight back. Everyone should practice doing this so it is automatic in a emergency. I almost exclusively use my front brake. I mainly use the back on long curvy descents because my hand gets tired using only the front.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Jun 12, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This thread has an incredible knack for reading one thing and hearing another.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

they airlifted ps5's to the us in 2020 to make sure the launch went smoothly lol

:rubby:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Big trucks kill so many people and they do all the wear and tear on the roads and they just suck so much cause all the problems I kind of wish we hadn't based our whole economic system on long haul trucking

listen buddy we need those trucks for last 1000 mile delivery

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I like arm pumping to the truckers to get them to blow their horn

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Big trucks kill so many people and they do all the wear and tear on the roads and they just suck so much cause all the problems I kind of wish we hadn't based our whole economic system on long haul trucking

Thanks Gipper!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

500excf type r posted:

same but to make jerk off motions at them

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
If you don't want to pitch over your handlebars just load up a lot of heavy pannier bags low down on your rear wheel

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

500excf type r posted:

I bet you do.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The front brake on a bike is so good it'll stop the bike instantly enough to launch you and yet people still complain about it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just activate your paraglider if you're thrown off, you barely lose any speed

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Epic High Five posted:

Just activate your paraglider if you're thrown off, you barely lose any speed

We do need better ways to combine biking with flight

edit: then again people can't even handle having control of a front brake so maybe its not such a great idea

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

you don't even need brakes to stop your bike!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
One time when I was a kid, I fashioned a parachute that I attached to my bike. I went down a really big hill with it and deployed it at the end. Pretty noticeable!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Wait until you find out what the owners of Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop are getting up to

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

"smoothly"

can you just walk into a walmart/target/best buy and buy one of these yet?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

"smoothly"

can you just walk into a walmart/target/best buy and buy one of these yet?

i think yes as of this year but idk.

smooth in the sense that they would have had none if they didnt charter flights to deliver them as americas ports were in gridlock
just incredible waste

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/ZAuz2qq.mp4

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Bicycles and boats are the real combo.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS_gta2sIcU

A really pretty interesting talk about the horror of redlining/highway construction in the US; it certainly could be called borderline, if not outright, ethnic/racial cleansing.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:10 on Jun 13, 2023

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I found a great sticker on my last bike ride across the city. Perfect av.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Ah, very nice to drive with fresh motor oil. Changed it myself, natch :madmax:

E: wrong thread

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I had a pleasant bike ride to the grocery store. There was a line of cars, mostly oversized trucks, wrapped around the store waiting for a parking spot.

This grocer is usually packed, but people keep driving to it. I'm willing to bet at least half of these people love within 2 miles of this store. There is a bike rack in front of the entrance, but it's usually empty. Maybe I'll see one other bike there, but I'm just as likely to find a motorcycle.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I had a pleasant bike ride to the grocery store. There was a line of cars, mostly oversized trucks, wrapped around the store waiting for a parking spot.

This grocer is usually packed, but people keep driving to it. I'm willing to bet at least half of these people love within 2 miles of this store. There is a bike rack in front of the entrance, but it's usually empty. Maybe I'll see one other bike there, but I'm just as likely to find a motorcycle.

Around Christmas time, people will circle the parking lot of the local Costco waiting for a spot to open by the door. There are always open spots further out but people refuse to walk 200 feet

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
more like MRJeff

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
:hmmyes:

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

This is a new one for me https://www.cambridgeday.com/2023/06/13/its-data-vs-data-over-cambridge-bike-lane-safety-but-maybe-city-staff-can-find-figures-all-agree-on/

quote:

People that “probably shouldn’t be biking are being coaxed” into using the lanes and putting themselves at risk, author John Hanratty said, and the group believes that a Cycling Safety Ordinance should pay more attention to safety. “We don’t want people to get hurt unnecessarily.”

quote:

Though his field is business consulting, Hanratty said he “went to three or four experts” who approved of his analysis, and that the results were consistent with those in other cities such as Denver – that separated bike lanes led to more injuries.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I bet those are raw numbers rather than per miles biked and a place where literally nobody is willing to bike would have the lowest numbers

that's some great logic though. I guess we should ban all sidewalks lest we encourage people to try to walk, which is clearly unsafe in the us.

mystes has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Jun 14, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there's something that gets passed around every now and then about how drunk walking is more lethal than drunk driving per mile lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
They are quibbling over the economic impact of bike lanes too. It's replacing parking lots, which are economically worthless at best and usually incredibly expensive for no return unless the city meters them at $20 an hour. loving lib brain. How about making a place that people want to be at? Linear park, pedestrian spaces, less obnoxious traffic all come together to make a street more popular.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

mystes posted:

I bet those are raw numbers rather than per miles biked and a place where literally nobody is willing to bike would have the lowest numbers

that's some great logic though. I guess we should ban all sidewalks lest we encourage people to try to walk, which is clearly unsafe in the us.

it's absolutely raw numbers and it's also comparing pre- and post-covid which basically coincides with drivers realizing that laws don't apply to them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

cum jabbar posted:

there's something that gets passed around every now and then about how drunk walking is more lethal than drunk driving per mile lol

They keep getting hit by drunk drivers

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

They keep getting hit by drunk drivers

they also travel very few miles

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

I guess we should ban all sidewalks lest we encourage people to try to walk, which is clearly unsafe in the us.

They are literally doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Now I'm no big city economist but it seems obvious that a parcel of land that has a shop or a restaurant on it generates more economic activity than one with asphalt and nothing else