Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I’m trying to not touch the demo and just wait for the full release but it’s becoming more and more difficult to resist. Fuckkk I’m hyped for this one.

It’s just the opening ~2 hours and then part of another early main mission so it won’t really spoil much if you play it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

RatHat posted:

It’s just the opening ~2 hours and then part of another early main mission so it won’t really spoil much if you play it now

Oh I’m not worried about spoilers, i just know i wont want to stop so I’m trying to hold out.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I was on the fence about this but the demo won me over. Very fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I’m trying to not touch the demo and just wait for the full release but it’s becoming more and more difficult to resist. Fuckkk I’m hyped for this one.

There's not a lot of reason to avoid it since it starts at the very beginning anyways and you pick up in the full version exactly where the demo ends.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

biceps crimes posted:

i think this might be the greatest demo ever? like holy poo poo. talk about putting your hooks in somebody and convincing them to buy it

I think this is the first time in my life that I finished a game demo, the "please buy the full version!" screen came up, and my response was immediately "don't mind if I do".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly, I understand the impulse to hold back, since I almost did too. I thought I might want to save the demo for closer to release so the wait would be less agonizing once I finished it and couldn't play more, but now that I've played it I'll say it finds a good place to stop. I'm interested in more, but the demo feels relatively self-contained.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Has anyone played the demo via remote play? Is this a game that requires precise inputs? I would love to not move my PS5 if possible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The game said that rewards from battle vary based on performance. If I got nothing from the morbol or dragoon fights except gil and experience, does that mean I am terrible at video games or do they just not give you anything because you're about to lose it all?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SirSamVimes posted:

The game said that rewards from battle vary based on performance. If I got nothing from the morbol or dragoon fights except gil and experience, does that mean I am terrible at video games or do they just not give you anything because you're about to lose it all?

Considering I got like two gil from all the random pickups, I expect nothing carries over

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

While this is gonna be a day 1 buy for me, I'm not a fan of the post-X FF trend of the sidequests all just being "hunt this mark".

In world where The Witcher 3 came out and then every other AAA developer realised they should put some personality and dialogue and a little variation in sidequests, just monster hunting seems kinda eh. Even FF7R had some stuff that wasn't just a monster hunt.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

bewilderment posted:

While this is gonna be a day 1 buy for me, I'm not a fan of the post-X FF trend of the sidequests all just being "hunt this mark".

In world where The Witcher 3 came out and then every other AAA developer realised they should put some personality and dialogue and a little variation in sidequests, just monster hunting seems kinda eh. Even FF7R had some stuff that wasn't just a monster hunt.

“That’s right,” adds Maehiro. “We didn’t want to have something like an NPC telling you ‘Go and slay three monsters… Thanks!’ We have grown tired of such side quests, so we wanted a good reason for each side quest that was implemented. We wanted them to tell the player more about the game’s world and characters. I’m confident that players won’t be bored by them.”

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i'll hunt any monster for any reason. i don't care

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

bewilderment posted:

I would feel the same if the combat wasn’t awesome like it seems to be in ff16. Now I’m like hell yeah more fights! I thought the combat in Witcher 3 was rear end so I’m glad that game had variety.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Concurred posted:

i'll hunt any monster for any reason. i don't care

I won't, because I respect wildlife. With the Blight happening, all life is precious. My Clive will only kill humans and constructs.

Speaking of this, I like how the Active Time Lore for goblins is basically sympathetic towards them and mentions them being forced into human lands by the Blight. Feel bad for those little guys just chilling in a swamp, only to be brutally slaughtered by some humans 3x their size (except for the big one anyway).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are non-hunt sidequests too.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There should be a sidequest to get toys and treats for Torgal.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Ytlaya posted:

I won't, because I respect wildlife. With the Blight happening, all life is precious. My Clive will only kill humans and constructs.

Speaking of this, I like how the Active Time Lore for goblins is basically sympathetic towards them and mentions them being forced into human lands by the Blight. Feel bad for those little guys just chilling in a swamp, only to be brutally slaughtered by some humans 3x their size (except for the big one anyway).

Helps that there's a lot of stuff in the game that pretty clearly indicates very early on that Rosaria are not, actually, "the good guys," they're just where Clive is from - they are, after all, a slaveowning society, and the active time lore is pretty up front that all the realms are just engaged in Machiavellian realpolitik for their perceived survival.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

I hope that everyone's predictions about Torgal being the Fenrir Eikon isn't true, because it would more fun if somehow he was the Fenrir Dominant instead. Dog summoning Big Dog

Does anyone have a link to that spoilery image of the special box art drawn by Amano that displays all the Eikons? I couldn't find a clear photo of it, even on the Enix site, but thought there was one

I mean, if he was the dominant he would also turn into the eikon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh I’m not worried about spoilers, i just know i wont want to stop so I’m trying to hold out.

Lol this is what happened to me. I went from “I’m sure I’ll like this game but I’m not losing my mind over it” to “gently caress I need to play more RIGHT NOW”

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Re: the demo eikon battle, personally I'd give it top marks for visuals, sound and music. As for the gameplay, it is a bit simple but I'd say it's deliberately so, because A) its introducing a new style of gameplay at you really fast and B) if it was any more complex the whole sequence would probably get a lot less cinematic.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Ibblebibble posted:

Re: the demo eikon battle, personally I'd give it top marks for visuals, sound and music. As for the gameplay, it is a bit simple but I'd say it's deliberately so, because A) its introducing a new style of gameplay at you really fast and B) if it was any more complex the whole sequence would probably get a lot less cinematic.

I know the two sisters fight and think the final fight had some XIV mechanics, I got pretty excited recognizing them. But yeah I agree, any more tools and I think it would have been a bit much.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

I know the two sisters fight and think the final fight had some XIV mechanics, I got pretty excited recognizing them. But yeah I agree, any more tools and I think it would have been a bit much.

Oh I was talking about Ifrit vs Phoenix lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone tried changing the control scheme? I haven't yet, but I think I might want to. The default one doesn't seem very practical for things like "charging magic while using the sword" (or vice versa). And I kept mistakenly using circle instead of R1 for trying to dodge.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The amount of times I've hit circle instead of R1 to dodge.....

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Cardboard Fox posted:

The amount of times I've hit circle instead of R1 to dodge.....

You can change your control scheme, made it wayyyy easier. i think it's layout B

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

Demo is surprisingly good. Gave me a very GoT meets AoT vibe in a way.

Demo ending question:
Are they implying that Clive is Ifrit? Or did I miss something huge?

One thing to look for is when an Eikon has blue eyes, their dominant is in control. When their eyes are red there is nobody (?) at the wheel.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Concurred posted:

You can change your control scheme, made it wayyyy easier. i think it's layout B

Yeah, plus the thing I mentioned about how certain mechanics are extremely awkward with the default control scheme. There's not really any good way to "charge a magic attack while doing a sword combo" with the default scheme. You'd have to do something weird like press triangle with your index finger.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

One thing to look for is when an Eikon has blue eyes, their dominant is in control. When their eyes are red there is nobody (?) at the wheel.

When their eyes are red, Torgal is at the wheel. FF16's equivalent of the "Sephiroth killing Aerith" scene will be the pivotal scene where Torgal pushes Cid off a cliff.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Is there any way to resize HUD text? My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and enemy name text in particular is kinda hard to read sometimes mid-fight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

Lol this is what happened to me. I went from “I’m sure I’ll like this game but I’m not losing my mind over it” to “gently caress I need to play more RIGHT NOW”

I like how they hit you with the cliffhanger goes "Don't worry we got a more in-depth combo demo here." Then you play that and THEY HIT YOU WITH ANOTHER CLIFFHANGER

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It'll be nice to get the Torgal minion in FFXIV.

guess we just have to hope that the studio behind FFXIV is interested in collaborating with FFXVI's team

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just did the demo (the first part not the Eikonic Challenge part, since I wanted to do it with the English VAs and it's easier to experiment with its fewer/simpler abilities/enemies) for a second time and tried the other control schemes. I like C. B has dodge on circle which is nice, but having the Eikon switch thing on (IIRC) square felt kind of weird. C is nice because it's similar to A, but magic on L1 makes it *way* easier to do stuff like magic burst combos.

I also *finally* pulled off a deliberate parry against the dragoon guy. Parries are interesting in this and different from in most games I've played. It seems like you actually want the animation of your sword swing to intercept the enemy's animation (rather than the more common "press attack as the enemy's attack connects"), so you can't really "reactively" parry like in most other games with a parry mechanic. You have to actually do the attack pretty early (which is why it's such a high risk thing, since if you fail you're absolutely getting hit).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 14, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The game has parries???

Also I'm gonna try out control scheme C later, thanks for being a guinea pig.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ibblebibble posted:

The game has parries???

Also I'm gonna try out control scheme C later, thanks for being a guinea pig.

There are many parries.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's called a parry but personally I'd describe it as being able to clash and deflect with your own attacks rather than a dedicated parry move. I haven't played the eikonic challenge thing yet but I think one of titan's abilities is more like that.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 14, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think the Titan block does a counterattack if you do a perfect block? I'll need to double check.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Yeah, you can do a chain of 3 titan punch counterattacks if you attack immediately after a perfect block.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah you have access to seven different ways to evade/counter attacks in the second demo: Dodge, parry, charged magic, Titan's block, and then Phoenix's Heatwave, Garuda's Rook's Gambit, and Titan's Raging Fists.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Has anyone played the demo via remote play? Is this a game that requires precise inputs? I would love to not move my PS5 if possible.

I played it on remote play and had a fun time. However, my pc is on the same wired LAN as the PS5, so no wireless connections were involved. Your mileage may very.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Terper posted:

Yeah you have access to seven different ways to evade/counter attacks in the second demo: Dodge, parry, charged magic, Titan's block, and then Phoenix's Heatwave, Garuda's Rook's Gambit, and Titan's Raging Fists.

I was dumb and didn't realise that the skill tree and unlocking new skills/functions was in the second demo :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012