Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

FilthyImp posted:

We're in a weird space where we assume products need refreshes and new tech every few years, like everything should be iPhone levels of R&D.

Unless you label yourself as a luxury item. That $300 Nespresso wont change much.

InstaPot probably could have done stuff like a pro-line with induction heating, a mini line and a medium sized line with options for families or whatever. Gotta innovate!

InstaPot had a whole line of different pots with different functions beyond the standard 6 quart pot. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/multi-cooker-reviews/a25653352/best-instant-pot/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
When they say their sales are down 50% since 2020, I can't help but wonder how their sales looked that year vs previous years, and how sales now look compared to, say, 2018-2019. Because people bought an awful lot of home cooking crap during 2020.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Also they shouldn't break that quickly

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
When you bought an InstantPot, you probably weren't buying a second or a third any time soon. At some point, everyone who wanted one would have one and sales would slow down.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You could say that about most things, really.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes Atari ET logic.

everyone will by 1000 new consoles and games.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

When you bought an InstantPot, you probably weren't buying a second or a third any time soon. At some point, everyone who wanted one would have one and sales would slow down.

I always figured that's why Corningware (same loving owners, surprise surprise) pivoted from its pyroceram glass bakeware to regular stoneware for years. At some point you've got enough and it'll probably get passed down to your grandchildren, which is great for your company reputation but not for your shareholders' quarterly dividends.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
East Germany made highly durable glassware using a method similar to that used to make Gorilla Glass for smart phones today.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:14 on Jun 16, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I replaced all of my plastic containers for glass ones using a mixture of pyrex / random 3rd party stuff and the pyrex doesn't hold up nearly as well as the cheaper stuff I got.

I've had to toss a few of the pyrex because of chipping edges while the other stuff is perfectly fine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MarcusSA posted:

I replaced all of my plastic containers for glass ones using a mixture of pyrex / random 3rd party stuff and the pyrex doesn't hold up nearly as well as the cheaper stuff I got.

I've had to toss a few of the pyrex because of chipping edges while the other stuff is perfectly fine.

You need to go to thrift stores and look for PYREX, in caps. That's the real borosilicate glass.

Sometime in the 90s/00s they switched to sodalime glass which is more fragile to physical trauma, but more resistant to thermal shock. It will also astound you that it is a lot cheaper to make.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Your sadsack cat avatar is destroying me :lol:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

You need to go to thrift stores and look for PYREX, in caps. That's the real borosilicate glass.

Sometime in the 90s/00s they switched to sodalime glass which is more fragile to physical trauma, but more resistant to thermal shock. It will also astound you that it is a lot cheaper to make.

This makes a lot of sense and I had no idea that's what it was. I might just have to do that because I can't stand using plastic containers anymore.

Biplane posted:

Your sadsack cat avatar is destroying me :lol:

lol yeah he's great. I would have adopted him in a heart beat.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Vegetable posted:

You could say that about most things, really.

That is why they should have developed a pot that required QR codes on the beans to operate.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Decrepus posted:

That is why they should have developed a pot that required QR codes on the beans to operate.

If this post wills this into being so help me

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch posted:

If this post wills this into being so help me

Juicero infamously did this.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

RFID potato chips

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

AceOfFlames posted:

Plz don't just squeeze the bags.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

AceOfFlames posted:

:thejoke:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Schubalts posted:

Meanwhile I'm over here with my 3 pressure cookers...

To be fair, I only paid for the big knockoff Instant Pot. The smaller knockoff I found on the side of the road and a friend gave me the used stovetop pc in '98. It needs a new seal but is otherwise fine; the electrics are a bit slower but much less nerve-wracking.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Other way around. Borosilicate glass (old pyrex) is the one thats better at thermal shock but mechanically weaker

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t drink from vintage communist uberglass that was very nearly named “twerking” in Latin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xABUPF0r4

https://florian-vick.medium.com/a-forgotten-product-the-glass-that-was-almost-indestructable-e07a5f716ecc posted:

The CEVERIT glasses took off in East-Germany and soon they could be found in almost any bar, restaurant and aboard trains. It reached a full market saturation in just a few years as planned by the government — and the product worked even better than expected: Instead of ‘just’ 5 times the regular lifespan of a drinking glass, CEVERIT in practice reached even 10 to 15 times!

By the end of the 1980s the manufacturing plant didn’t know where to store the freshly produced glasses anymore as almost everyone in the GDR had them and did not need any more because they lasted so long. More and more boxes piled up outside the production facility.

However — while this was an excellent accomplishment in the communist East and exactly what the leaders envisioned, the vendors in the “capitalist West” were less than thrilled about this invention. After all, they only made money when glass shattered in the hands of consumers, resulting in more purchases and not on more durable ones.

The lack of interest in “capitalist countries”, the market saturation in East-Germany and finally the fall of the GDR marked the end of this marvellous product — in April 1990 the production of CEVERIT or “Superfest” glasses ceased. After the union of both parts of Germany, the manufacturing plant produced regular glasses until it went bankrupt in 2004.

https://digitalcosmonaut.com/superfest-ceverit-glass-ddr/ posted:

During the first stage, the glass would be produced like every other normal glass – with machines cooling the glass and sanding off the edges etc. After this process, the glasses would be loaded off into a specialized glass holding machine (a one-off custom construction) which would then shuffle the glasses off to be heated back up to a temperature of 420C.

The heated glasses would then be sprayed with a specialized potassium chloride solution that fused with the glass surface. This Potassium chloride solution filled in the micro ruptures within the glass that naturally occur during glass production, making the glass less prone to breaking. And that’s the whole process of “Ion Exchanging”.

[…]

Interestingly enough – the name Ceverit was phased out before production began and replaced with “Superfest (Super Hard), as someone noticed that “Ceverit” was a conjugated form of the Latin word “cevere”, which translates to “wiggling your butt while having sex”.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I question the judgement of people who try to avoid innuendo by renaming their product "Super Hard".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Platystemon posted:

lol if you don’t drink from vintage communist uberglass that was very nearly named “twerking” in Latin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xABUPF0r4

The frustrating thing is that whatever distributor actually bought and sold these would have made a killing. Selling them for double compared to normal glasses would have given them a monstrous mark up, more than enough to pay for the "lost" sales.

Anyway, capitalism wins again!!!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Volmarias posted:

The frustrating thing is that whatever distributor actually bought and sold these would have made a killing. Selling them for double compared to normal glasses would have given them a monstrous mark up, more than enough to pay for the "lost" sales.

Anyway, capitalism wins again!!!

If the glasses don’t break then you won’t buy more. Pretty soon all our dishware will decay after a month and we’ll be paying for an endless subscription with cute new patterns to show off on instagram when your monthly box arrives.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MokBa posted:

If the glasses don’t break then you won’t buy more. Pretty soon all our dishware will decay after a month and we’ll be paying for an endless subscription with cute new patterns to show off on instagram when your monthly box arrives.

Right, but if the glass cup costs $5 normally, and gets marked up to $8, while the unbreakable ones comes as $12 from the factory and sell for $40 (which if it lasts 10x as long is still a great deal for the restaurant owner if they're prudent!), you've got a $3 profit vs a $28 profit. You won't have as much repeat business in the glass from your normal customers, but you'll have a hell of a good sales year to give you a bunch of cash to play around and maybe expand with, and people outside your normal area may start poking around due to word of mouth.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

You won't have as much repeat business in the glass from your normal customers, but you'll have a hell of a good sales year to give you a bunch of cash to play around and maybe expand with, and people outside your normal area may start poking around due to word of mouth.

Sure... at which point the average business will say "Wow! We can use these profits to expand and sell even more glasses next year!" And the next, and the next, and so on until they hit a saturation point and immediately collapse because they had leveraged themselves to tool up production to unsustainable levels.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Haven’t seen this one yet - this is just a local one for Central California (mostly, they had barely expanded to Colorado, New Mexico, New York and a few other states) but it’s pretty hosed up. I haven’t been following Bitwise closely because I could never really understand what they “do,” and apparently that was not an unjustified sentiment. It’s some sort of tech/wework hybrid as best I can tell.

It sounds like they started running out of money, knew they were boned, took out a ton of loans, furloughed employees and later fired them without bringing them back, and I think even raided their 401ks. Now the CEO’s are just sort of like yup, game over and a bunch of people in an area where good paying work is hard to find are out in the wind.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article276411156.html

Highbrow Slick has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Jun 16, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

Sure... at which point the average business will say "Wow! We can use these profits to expand and sell even more glasses next year!" And the next, and the next, and so on until they hit a saturation point and immediately collapse because they had leveraged themselves to tool up production to unsustainable levels.

You can invest in things that aren't the super glass too.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Special beer glasses get stolen all the time. I reckon once word spreads that the superfest glass is used in some bar, that there'll be some glasses disappearing all the time. Less than breakage, but enough to warrant an order of glasses per year.

Encourage stealing glasware, it's good for business!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Your Flimsy Measuring Cup is badly damaged

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

You can invest in things that aren't the super glass too.

Sure, just saying that a lot of companies wouldn't think to bother (and even if they're run by someone smart enough to run it as a comfortable cash cow niche, it's only a matter of time before they get bought by someone who doesn't get it.)

Like that's basically the One Weird Trick that distinguished Warren Buffett's investing career and everyone either thinks he's a brilliant super genius investor or they think he's a giant idiot because why would you take a profitable business and reinvest the profits elsewhere instead of just growing it infinitely?!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This is... not a great sign.

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman has been taking lessons from Elon Musk’s “violent changes” at Twitter

quote:

“As a company smaller than theirs, sub-$1 billion in revenue, I used to look at Twitter and say, ‘Well, why can’t they break even at 4 or 5 billion in revenue? What about their business do we not understand?’ Because I think we should be able to do that quite handsomely,” he said.

“And then I think one of the non-obvious things that Elon showed is what I was hoping would be true, which is: You can run a company with that many users in the ads business and break even with a lot fewer people,” Huffman said.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Highbrow Slick posted:

Haven’t seen this one yet - this is just a local one for Central California (mostly, they had barely expanded to Colorado, New Mexico, New York and a few other states) but it’s pretty hosed up. I haven’t been following Bitwise closely because I could never really understand what they “do,” and apparently that was not an unjustified sentiment. It’s some sort of tech/wework hybrid as best I can tell.

It sounds like they started running out of money, knew they were boned, took out a ton of loans, furloughed employees and later fired them without bringing them back, and I think even raided their 401ks. Now the CEO’s are just sort of like yup, game over and a bunch of people in an area where good paying work is hard to find are out in the wind.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article276411156.html

From April 10th:

https://www.13abc.com/2023/04/10/tech-company-bitwise-open-new-campus-long-vacant-toledo-building/

quote:

A massive renovation project in downtown Toledo is in the home stretch. Bitwise industries has invested tens of millions of dollars to renovate the former Jefferson Center.

Bitwise is a California-based business that focuses on building tech economies in what the company calls under-estimated communities, like Toledo.

The building has been part of the downtown landscape since the early 1900s. It started as a post office then became a Toledo Public Schools vocational school called the Jefferson Center.

“We are trying to redefine what the Jefferson Center means,” said LeSean Shaw, the Vice President of Bitwise Industries. “So for this building to be re-purposed and re-used for the redevelopment of this city to up-skill individuals, it’s nice to see it.”

After years of sitting empty, the space has been redone from top to bottom.

“Keeping everything historically accurate was a big deal. We wanted people to see what it was. But inside it is more energized at this point,” said Shaw.

LeSean Shaw is a Vice President of Bitwise Industries – and a hometown talent. Bitwise provides paid apprenticeships that teach tech skills and create opportunities in the industry. The goal is to provide good jobs and help retain local talent.

“You don’t have to go to Cleveland, Chicago, or Columbus. We are going to be an epicenter for tech and advancement here in the building,” Shaw said.

There are opportunities for everyone.

“Individuals that may have been overlooked. People who didn’t graduate from college, high school, people who may not have a career path. Give them the capabilities in tech and up-skill them with skills to build websites, web design, anything of that sort.”

The significance of the building’s location has not been lost on Bitwise leaders.

“We sit in between St. Paul’s Community Center and the Toledo Club, so our building is a bridge for a career path to success.”

The building will be open around-the-clock. In addition to the apprenticeship space, there will also be suites for co-working and collaboration, as well as suites that can be leased.

There’s even a restaurant that will be open to the public. There’s no set date yet, but the plan is to open the Toledo Campus this summer.

lol, lmao

Also I'm in the same boat of "still don't know what they do"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Unfortunately it looks like he’s right. Too many people came crawling back after two days so they have no reason but to proceed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because I'm not rich but do you, as a rich person, ever have enough money that you go eh, gently caress it, let's pay people more? Not cut jobs? Offer benefits that aren't poo poo?

I only know of one place that did; years ago (15 or so) I worked for a zoo where the vet tech made, at peak pay, $13 an hour. Most zookeeper made about $10. Most of the staff was seasonal, and 90% of the work was done by volunteers/seasonal workers so benefits didn't have to be paid, they made about $9 an hour. But one day the single owner (no board) died, and everything went to his daughter. This was last year or so. There had been no pay increases overall, but once she took over, basic workers were raised to $15 an hour, not sure about the zoo tech who usually lived on site. Amazingly people did not loving need to be hired every busy season because they stayed on with better wages.

I don't know how things are now but I like to think that when that old dude died, the biggest shock was that he didn't get to take all the money with him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not rich but do you, as a rich person, ever have enough money that you go eh, gently caress it, let's pay people more? Not cut jobs? Offer benefits that aren't poo poo?

I only know of one place that did; years ago (15 or so) I worked for a zoo where the vet tech made, at peak pay, $13 an hour. Most zookeeper made about $10. Most of the staff was seasonal, and 90% of the work was done by volunteers/seasonal workers so benefits didn't have to be paid, they made about $9 an hour. But one day the single owner (no board) died, and everything went to his daughter. This was last year or so. There had been no pay increases overall, but once she took over, basic workers were raised to $15 an hour, not sure about the zoo tech who usually lived on site. Amazingly people did not loving need to be hired every busy season because they stayed on with better wages.

I don't know how things are now but I like to think that when that old dude died, the biggest shock was that he didn't get to take all the money with him.

Have you considered, however, that not loving the workers will NOT cause number to go up as fast? Number going up is very important.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rick posted:

Unfortunately it looks like he’s right. Too many people came crawling back after two days so they have no reason but to proceed.

The # of users isn't nearly as important as the # of advertisers, and they're definitely not out of the woods by any means. User engagement alone doesn't pay for your yacht. And Twitter Blue subscriptions sure aren't going to do it either. Those checkmarks are increasingly seen as something to be avoided, and I have to wonder how long it'll be before people get bored of paying for one to own the libs.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

First place I had a job, an at the time semi-small regional electronics wholesaler, the two people whi started and ran it consistently gave yearly raises, already generous pay, great benefits, employees loved it and productivity and profit increased yearly. Then they hit the magic point where Capital noticed its success, they eventually got an offer too good to pass up, and the business has been a shambles ever since. :allears:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's that CEO, Dan Price I think, who made minimum wage at his credit card processing company $75,000 or so. Several people quit because they were mad that "lesser people"' were now making as much or more than them. Turns out, people that stayed on are very happy with their jobs and lives, are traveling, getting married, having kids, etc.

I don't know his impetus but I'm guessing he doesn't have a temporarily embarrassed billionaire mindset.

Edit: Checking his Wikipedia and boy he sounds like a real rear end in a top hat except that he paid his employees well

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sir Lemming posted:

The # of users isn't nearly as important as the # of advertisers, and they're definitely not out of the woods by any means. User engagement alone doesn't pay for your yacht. And Twitter Blue subscriptions sure aren't going to do it either. Those checkmarks are increasingly seen as something to be avoided, and I have to wonder how long it'll be before people get bored of paying for one to own the libs.

I think he’s talking about Reddit. Twitter is already barely holding on as is and probably won’t survive the long term