Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Vegetable posted:

Reddit works — and democracy works — because it reduces complete idiots to a vote, and their vote is often better than nothing at all.
OK, but if you reduce a portion of the population to a vote and habitually mislead them about what they're voting for (or at best openly deprive them of the information they need) then their vote is nothing more than weaponised ignorance.

See: Brexit

(To be fair, you did put 'often' in there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isko
May 20, 2008
Earlier I said I needed to figure out how to keep up with trending news and articles without reddit. Well I've learned of the perfect website: https://digg.com/. Has anyone ever heard of it or used it?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Extra Large Marge posted:

"Dumbass gets hit by train"

I think more recently it's "Russian gets grenade dropped on head"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Regardless of what happens I had a script go through and edit then delete my entire 10 year post history and I won’t be going back

Ngl it’s loving wild that Reddit a) keeps posts from 10 years ago and b) lets you retroactively edit them.

I’d be defiling those ancient threads by editing all of my posts to goatse.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

funeral home DJ posted:

Ngl it’s loving wild that Reddit a) keeps posts from 10 years ago and b) lets you retroactively edit them.

I’d be defiling those ancient threads by editing all of my posts to goatse.

Couldn’t they just revert their comment database to like prior to 2023 for anyone who did this? I mean it’s not like any tech company seems to care about EU regulations on keeping user data.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

When all is said and done, two days is loving nothing.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've been feeling the lack of big chungus in my life. I used Boost to browse Reddit when bored on my phone (Boost let me make a million filters to never see poo poo subs and to filter words like "giveaway") and every sub I did follow is private now. Getting information is also a pain in the rear end too. Sadly it's still kinda browsable because political and "important" subs are still available. Think they need to start locking down even more to actually have an impact. 2 days is also lackluster for any protest and they need to turn that poo poo off forever to really put it to that CEO Spez guy.

Putty fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 14, 2023

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

reddit loving sucks, I'll keep lurking here thx

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The thing about reddit is that there are multiple subs for my niche hobbies that get lots of posts every day. On SA, there's one aquarium thread that has the same few dozen people posting in it all the time, one dead thrifting thread, and one slow sewing thread that focuses on clothing (I'm a quilter so it's not really the right place for me). If all my hobby subreddits go away, idk where else to look for that kind of thing. It was extremely convenient to have it all in one place.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The thing about reddit is that there are multiple subs for my niche hobbies that get lots of posts every day. On SA, there's one aquarium thread that has the same few dozen people posting in it all the time, one dead thrifting thread, and one slow sewing thread that focuses on clothing (I'm a quilter so it's not really the right place for me). If all my hobby subreddits go away, idk where else to look for that kind of thing. It was extremely convenient to have it all in one place.

Start your own quilting thread, build your own close knit community

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If reddit shuts down all those sewing fans have to go somewhere, bring them to SA

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Sewfan is #1

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

If reddit shuts down all those sewing fans have to go somewhere, bring them to SA

I don't think I've seen anyone really push SA in the countless threads of "Where to go".

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

We're all going to go back to dead threads and forums :rip:

Zelthar posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone really push SA in the countless threads of "Where to go".

I mentioned it twice on my exodus, you're welcome

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah the biggest thing I'm going to miss about reddit is the weird niche subreddits for stuff like Woodworking where it's popular enough to have enough posts to be interesting but niche enough it hasn't turned to utter poo poo. Also, niche meme subreddits.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I bought my forum membership in 2008, and I loved SA for all the hilarious memes that arose here, reading people's engaging and funny stories about life in general, and following a zillion high production quality Let's Plays. My husband and I both follow multiple OG SA Let's Players on YouTube.

I've enjoyed having a wide variety of fun things to see and read on Reddit over the years, too, but I've been using RIF and plan to quit Reddit when it shuts down. Being able to block subreddits I don't want to read was amazing, and the official app isn't going to cut it with all the ads and trying to push things I'm not interested in reading about.

Coming back here, finding threads that are just as funny as I remember, and seeing people posting encouragement to lurkers and returning Goons to come in and say hi? It's been great. It's nice to still have a home in this part of the internet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

We KNEW you'd come crawling back! ALL of you!

Glad to see you're liking the place.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

The thing about reddit is that there are multiple subs for my niche hobbies that get lots of posts every day.

I have the opposite problem on reddit. I work in applied deep learning and the ChatGPT craze has absolutely ruined r/MachineLearning. It's going through what WSB went through in 2020 with the whole meme stock thing, where literally millions of "people" flooded in to start posting dumb spam poo poo, only this time instead of bizarre conspiracy theories about banks subverting meme stocks, it's links to blog posts by every dipshit on Earth who has decided to have an opinion on "AI Ethics."

A million people/bot accounts is not a "community," I'd take the same 5 people day in and day out over the weird hive mind poo poo that groups of thousands turn into.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

How come none of the subreddits ended up just making a vBulletin forum as a replacement?

I'm sure most of them are organised in discord anyway, and that half of redditors have never even seen such a forum and would be open to try it.

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

minute posted:

This is great but should line break after "userbase" imo (in my opinion).
Agreed, here you go!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now the real question is if the ad should link to a thread or just a landing page with this autoplaying fullscreen

https://youtu.be/8fvTxv46ano

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Alligator Pie posted:

I bought my forum membership in 2008, and I loved SA for all the hilarious memes that arose here, reading people's engaging and funny stories about life in general, and following a zillion high production quality Let's Plays. My husband and I both follow multiple OG SA Let's Players on YouTube.

(...)

Coming back here, finding threads that are just as funny as I remember, and seeing people posting encouragement to lurkers and returning Goons to come in and say hi? It's been great. It's nice to still have a home in this part of the internet.

The Reddit exodus made me aware of Tildes, Lemmy, and SomethingAwful. Each have their own allure, but SA has such an amazing history and crust from years of The Internet. It feels very cool to be joining something this historical to the interwebz. As a nerd, I am honored to be here.

Your post really solidifies the sense of 'home' here. I hope to come to inherit that myself and earn my Goonhood.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Queer Grenadier posted:

The Reddit exodus made me aware of Tildes, Lemmy, and SomethingAwful. Each have their own allure, but SA has such an amazing history and crust from years of The Internet. It feels very cool to be joining something this historical to the interwebz. As a nerd, I am honored to be here.

Your post really solidifies the sense of 'home' here. I hope to come to inherit that myself and earn my Goonhood.

If your username indicates anything, come hang out with us in the pride thread which I will link momentarily because I have rocks for brains.

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033752&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I tried to post on reddit about a project I was doing but I didn't feel I got much in the way of feedback, I got likes, but not actual replies or answers. Is that typical? I like that there are no such things here, if you post something and someone wants to indicate they like it, they have to post.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Queer Grenadier posted:

It feels very cool to be joining something this historical to the interwebz.

I felt this way in 2006.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ikanreed posted:

Most apps are websites under the hood

Learned this about office add-ins recently too.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

where the red fern gropes posted:

canada subreddit going dark to honor their prime minister

Lmao

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

After 3 days of no Reddit I’ve realized how much less mad I am at random idiots on the internet

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

hello internet posted:

After 3 days of no Reddit I’ve realized how much less mad I am at random idiots on the internet
Yeah that, and I've realised how pointless a dopamine hit is from making a popular comment.

I pass it off as 'oh neat, I made a thousand people laugh and maybe some of them really needed it' but probably not. At best, I made a hundred sharply exhale then tab back out to xvideos.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lusty Grundles posted:

Yeah that, and I've realised how pointless a dopamine hit is from making a popular comment.

I pass it off as 'oh neat, I made a thousand people laugh and maybe some of them really needed it' but probably not. At best, I made a hundred sharply exhale then tab back out to xvideos.

The real pros are leaving the funny comments underneath the Xvideo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There is no way the reddit admins are force reopening subs like r/LinusTechTips and installing scab mods so they really did just shut down for two days and reopen on schedule

Might be a different story with r/technology

I think a lot of comments in the reopened subs make a good point that asking people to be sympathetic to reddit mods is a losing proposition

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 14, 2023

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Athletic Footjob posted:

The real pros are leaving the funny comments underneath the Xvideo.
There's one that's stuck with me. It was something like "we can talk about our forefathers all we want, but if she has a kid they're going to have way more than that"

I posted a lasagne recipe under one but I got told off for it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

hello internet posted:

You haven't posted here much, have you?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Isko posted:

Earlier I said I needed to figure out how to keep up with trending news and articles without reddit. Well I've learned of the perfect website: https://digg.com/. Has anyone ever heard of it or used it?

Just yesterday I was surprised to find that Digg.com apparently still exists, lol. I thought it died.

I saw that there's like zero user engagement happening on it, though. Somehow things are new and added like 20 minutes ago, but I looked at the "Popular" section and the top item said it was from six days ago, and had zero comments on it, lol. Is Digg somehow more dead than SA, and yet still there?

Fark.com seems to still exist too, and seems to have more user engagement than Digg

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HJE-Cobra posted:

Just yesterday I was surprised to find that Digg.com apparently still exists, lol. I thought it died.

I saw that there's like zero user engagement happening on it, though. Somehow things are new and added like 20 minutes ago, but I looked at the "Popular" section and the top item said it was from six days ago, and had zero comments on it, lol. Is Digg somehow more dead than SA, and yet still there?

Fark.com seems to still exist too, and seems to have more user engagement than Digg

Poe is gone but poetv is not
Aicn is still around

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I never really left SA but I did use Reddit as a headline aggregator for news. There's no real SA equivalent for r/celebritydeaths where you can get news at a glance without having to wade through comments, and it was easier to scan the headlines of r/politics or r/worldnews than to sift through multiple thousands of posts a day in the Ukraine and Trump threads, although I much preferred the discussion in the SA threads. I just couldn't keep up. Also SA has like one NHL thread where I had to read through every team's discussion where reddit has an active subreddit for each and every team in addition to the general hockey news subreddit.

I joined the hockey Discords when they blacked out and god. How does anyone use Discord? I don't want a chat room, I want an RSS feed :mad:

Also they're celebrating the return of their subreddits this morning, despite accomplishing nothing, so this protest did jack poo poo. If reddit actually is already forcing subs back open they are impatient fools, which is actually kind of funny. They're even incompetent at being incompetent.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

His Divine Shadow posted:

I tried to post on reddit about a project I was doing but I didn't feel I got much in the way of feedback, I got likes, but not actual replies or answers. Is that typical? I like that there are no such things here, if you post something and someone wants to indicate they like it, they have to post.

Very common, yes. There were a lot of posts under New (wherever you looked) that befell the same fate.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I don't know anything about any of this until this thread but did the mod protestors really say, "We are going to close our forums for 48 hours and then just open them back up no matter what happens vis a vis our demands?"

Because if so loving lol, a time-limited non-threat is absolutely the way to get what you want. When threatening people, make sure you let them know things will be back to normal almost immediately if they completely ignore you. Explain that up front, so they don't worry about it at all and change nothing.

STRIKE! (ends in 48 hours, carry on as normal as we are absolutely not just willing to walk away if our demands are not met) <-- that's the part you need to leave out, that part in parentheses.

YOU HAVE FORTY-EIGHT HOURS TO SURRENDER! (or else nothing happens) <-- this part, leave it out.

OK now for the exit ticket, see if you can figure out what should be left off this one:

WE WILL CLOSE OUR SUBFORUMS IN SOLIDARITY AGAINST YOUR CORPORATE GREED (but not for long, after all, what other things are there on the Internet to amuse us, this is it?)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

thanks for repeating the joke over and over, I didn't get it until the 5th one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Tagra posted:

Also they're celebrating the return of their subreddits this morning, despite accomplishing nothing

Sort of feels like peak Reddit.

Politics, local city, and other subs will have post after post about general strikes, fighting for unionization, boycotting people/brands/corporations, and people can't keep up a website blackout - the lowest effort of protests - going for longer than 72 hours.

If this showed investors anything it's that their userbase actually doesn't really give a poo poo what you do to them, so they have carte blanche to do whatever the gently caress they want.