Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

RIP to a legend

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1668699857706532865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Whirling posted:

I wonder if the corporate trend to back down meekly over right wing swine being angry about LGBT people will transfer over to things like film and TV. Obviously, it's gonna take a long time to see if this stuff now has any effect in the future, but seeing companies like loving Starbucks decide to not even bother with pandering this year in fear of having soulless right-wing ghouls make TikToks about them is making me sweat a bit.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I don't understand why the backlash is working this time. Are they afraid of violence or is it just much louder than usual because gays are the target de jure on this season of TV news?

Then again, wasn't corporate pride sus and bad anyway?

I think Starbucks' particular alleged cowardice is down to the culture Howard Schultz (who you may remember from his failed run in the Democratic presidential primary as the supposed business-minded centrist) put in. It's going to depend on the company.

Has InBev done anything particularly craven in the wake of the Bud Light controversy? I haven't seen much on their reaction one way or the other.

Have any other companies buckled? I see rainbow flags all over the business district where I work.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

His obit should be terse and contain very little punctuation.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
edit: oops

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

rip

The Road posted:

The road was empty. Below in the little valley the still gray serpentine of a river. Motionless and precise. Along the shore a burden of dead reeds. Are you okay? he said. The boy nodded. Then they set out along the blacktop of the gunmetal light, shuffling through the ash, each the other’s world entire.

burst out ugly crying on plane when I first read that. I was going through some poo poo and I got daddy issues.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Whirling posted:

I wonder if the corporate trend to back down meekly over right wing swine being angry about LGBT people will transfer over to things like film and TV. Obviously, it's gonna take a long time to see if this stuff now has any effect in the future, but seeing companies like loving Starbucks decide to not even bother with pandering this year in fear of having soulless right-wing ghouls make TikToks about them is making me sweat a bit.

this seem fantastically unlikely to me because the pandering is so hard baked into the narrative i actually havent seen any right wing complaints at all about lgbt stuff thats actually intended for that audience rupauls drag race has been a thing forever its only mainstreaming of it into community things like drag queen storytime that sets them off because of the perception that this kind of representation is about subliminally normalizing queer stuff instead of acknowledging it as deviant

im actually really curious if or whether nimona is going to spark any kind of backlash along these lines my current inclination is no because its not exactly a secret that the book is hella queer and that the movies planning on turning that subtext into text but its like an actual part of the story which is a pretty significant distinction compared to just making random characters gay for no reason and not even trying to work it into the plot

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think Starbucks' particular alleged cowardice is down to the culture Howard Schultz (who you may remember from his failed run in the Democratic presidential primary as the supposed business-minded centrist) put in. It's going to depend on the company.

Has InBev done anything particularly craven in the wake of the Bud Light controversy? I haven't seen much on their reaction one way or the other.

Have any other companies buckled? I see rainbow flags all over the business district where I work.

the irony is that buckling only encourages more harassment

they're still mad at Bud Light after their half-assed reversal, Target is now facing bomb threats, and pretty soon they'll be swarming starbucks.

the number one mistake is acknowledging they even exist. they think they've finally been noticed by Big Brands and the public at large and will keep hitting that exposed vein for more clout, attention, and recruitment possibilities beyond the diehard fanatics already on board

Durf has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Jun 13, 2023

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

indigi posted:

a decent proportion of gop voters will actually honor a boycott

ehhhhh i don’t know about that. i think everyone is equally subservient to the treat economy. remember when conservatives boycotted the nfl? coke? Nike? none of these had any effect whatsoever on sales.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Guess I've got to give reading Mccarthy another go. The no paragraph or qoutation thing drove me crazy the one time I tried to read Blood Meridian and I had other things going on so I dropped it, but every excerpt I see of his prose is total magic.

The Road was an incredible piece of filmmaking that I never want to watch again, and even as I write this I can see the scene of the intestines hitting the ground in my head. Just an incredible spirit of bleakness.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1668693888708771840

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jesus Christ

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

awkward_turtle posted:

Guess I've got to give reading Mccarthy another go. The no paragraph or qoutation thing drove me crazy the one time I tried to read Blood Meridian and I had other things going on so I dropped it, but every excerpt I see of his prose is total magic.

I tried a few times in my 20s and his prose just did nothing for me. like I can see the talent and proficiency in the quotes above, I would never claim he's overrated or mid or etc, but I'm not moved at all the way I am by other writers. in honor of his death perhaps I will give him another try

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
can't wait for uncannily realistic Bambi mother death trauma.

there's a scene toward the end of Blood Meridian that ripped my guts out. felt like i swallowed a giant ice cube.

quote:

He knelt on one knee, resting the rifle before him like a staff. Abuelita, he said. No puedes eschucharme?

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Jun 14, 2023

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

He worked it up dry with his hands and all the while the savages down there on the back pain drawin nigh to us and when I turned back the judge was standin, the great hairless oaf, and he’d took out his pizzle and he was pissin into the mixture, pissin with a great vengeance and one hand aloft and he cried out for us to do likewise.
We were half mad anyways. All lined up. Delawares and all. Every man save Glanton and he was a study. We hauled forth our members and at it we went and the judge on his knees kneading the mass with his naked arms and the piss was splashin about and he was cryin out to us to piss, man, piss for your very souls for cant you see the redskins yonder, and laughin the whole and workin up this great mass in a foul black dough, a devil’s batter by the stink of it and him not a bloody dark pastryman himself I dont suppose and he pulls out his knife and he pulls out his knife and he commences to trowel it across the southfacin rocks, spreadin it out thin with the knifeblade and watchin the sun with one eye and him smeared with blacking and reekin of piss and sulphur and grinnin and wieldin the knife with a dexterity that was wondrous like he did it every day of his life.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

literally an ancient snl skit

warning deeply unfunny
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uFJz2IMUeDE

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Still the best ending of any book I've ever read. Blew out a fuse in my tiny mind, one that has never been replaced

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I finished Blood Meridian like 3 weeks ago. All the prose is fantastic and I feel like a visual adaptation would be inferior because of losing all of those lines.

Sometime come the mother, sometime come the wolf.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Well thank god her talents aren’t being wasted on stupid bullshit anymore!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

I finished Blood Meridian like 3 weeks ago. All the prose is fantastic and I feel like a visual adaptation would be inferior because of losing all of those lines.

Sometime come the mother, sometime come the wolf.

I have this insane idea that Dave Bautista would absolutely destroy it if he got the nod for The Judge. We're talking about career best, Best Actor winning performance we'd be talking about 30 years from now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have this insane idea that Dave Bautista would absolutely destroy it if he got the nod for The Judge. We're talking about career best, Best Actor winning performance we'd be talking about 30 years from now.

I...I don't hate this idea.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I can see it yeah. It'd either be sheer hubris or the performance of the decade

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I had a dream recently and I was at my grandmother's house and her basement was a maze and cormac mccarthy wouldn't (or maybe would i forgot) give me a plate of spaghetti

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Momoa is so good in Fasten

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StashAugustine posted:

I can see it yeah. It'd either be sheer hubris or the performance of the decade

Hopefully both.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Milo and POTUS posted:

I had a dream recently and I was at my grandmother's house and her basement was a maze and cormac mccarthy wouldn't (or maybe would i forgot) give me a plate of spaghetti

and then you woke up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
he died because the screenplay of blood meridian is so good, he realized he was a failure of an author who had held back world culture through his work

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
judge holden should be played by that plump lil hemophilic from british bake off and no other

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

her oscar speech started "the two words hollywood never wanted to hear together: Women Talking" lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

drat I had a few to post but this might be the best one

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

croup coughfield posted:

judge holden should be played by that plump lil hemophilic from british bake off and no other

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PDakkadakka/status/1649909675175866369?t=C3Gg8JDHbUhblQ1KocF--A&s=19

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Chris Pine would make a great Judge

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you don't think so you haven't seen the movies where he's a crazy mother fucker

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The judge is Anthony carrigan

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

:trumppop:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Foundation seems to me an obvious example of one of those original pitches the creator has continually failed to sell because it sucks. Frustrated, they simply make it anyway next time they’re assigned to make an IP adaptation. Merely doing a find-replace with the title and a few names. Same with I Robot and HBO Watchmen.

Nah, HBO Watchmen was way too invested in the original comic to be an original idea.

It's a huge misread of the comic and everything it's trying to say, but it's definitely written by someone who spent a lot of time misreading it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

croup coughfield posted:

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
the judge isnt crazy. hes just an american.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mr Hootington posted:

The judge is Anthony carrigan

Hairlessness is good, but he's not imposing enough. Even the bits of Barry where he was serious aren't the same level of intimidating that the Judge needs to be.