Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

I finished the main quest in fallout 4 because MIT waitlisted me and I got to nuke them

wow spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

psiox posted:

happy hackblood tuesday

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I only recently realized there's a certain UNREAL quality to some of the best old computer video games that really Nitedo never got. Like, listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YRJ155z7w

The only Japanese game that I can think of that got anywhere near the AMBIENCE was Metroid. But that was a fuken great game with great atmosphere.

e: Or, hey, just look at Impossible Mission, which is objectively a great game unlike Fist 2 which was just... OK.
ee: And then there was the Sinclair ZX Spectrum where all the games looked, sounded, played, and smelled like poo poo. If you're nostalgic for Spectrum games, you suck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
time to lay off the milk, jerry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

great rebumal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nother example. what if Gauntlet but good?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebixM5GuSbc

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I only recently realized there's a certain UNREAL quality to some of the best old computer video games that really Nitedo never got. Like, listen to this:

cool tune, but that game looks like boring poo poo, like all c64 games

ambience is only good for so much

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Äpäpää ötötöö.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway I'm on vacation so come morning I'm going to do a mission in Fallout 76, and then play some Ultima II. Good night.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lrm carriers mk2 still are great fire support even though they are not insane death machines this patch (turns out artemis lrms were bugged for double the bonuses they should have had)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

haven't watched it yet but there's probably something worthwhile here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIl_TqFJNO8

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ee: And then there was the Sinclair ZX Spectrum where all the games looked, sounded, played, and smelled like poo poo. If you're nostalgic for Spectrum games, you suck.
games didnt get good until the snes generation
apart from mario

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

polyester concept posted:

haven't watched it yet but there's probably something worthwhile here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIl_TqFJNO8

that makes two of us

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

jesus romero increase your mouse sensitivity, what are you playing with a touchpad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

that makes two of us

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

well-read undead posted:

cool tune, but that game looks like boring poo poo, like all c64 games

ambience is only good for so much

space taxi's still p good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

started playing chorvs because it’s leaving gamep rear end, it’s gorgeous but it has too much overwrought talking and it commits a cardinal sin, a space flight game that doesn’t have separate yaw/roll controls. hold down right stick to realign roll to the galaxy plane; get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTPLucLU5I

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked chorvs a lot, but it definitely has too much dialog (sometimes the talking goes on for so long you fly into a new talking trigger and it stomps on itself) and some very questionable encounter designs later on

when the talking is not stomping on itself or wearing out its welcome, it's a fun interplay between hardass outer nara, depressive self-loathing inner nara, and bloodthirsty psycho ship

3 out of 5 chorvs (one chorv deducted for above issues)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah I played about 8 hours of CHORVS and then fell off, it was fun but didn't hold on to me.

I've seen RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 mentioned in a few YouTubes recently and I always meant to play it - looked it up on ITAD and theres a good deal on GreenManGaming right now so picked it up.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/red-dead-redemption-2-pc/

Did a quick check and apparently the 'Ultimate Edition' is absolutely inessential, so just got the regular.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

I liked chorvs a lot, but it definitely has too much dialog (sometimes the talking goes on for so long you fly into a new talking trigger and it stomps on itself) and some very questionable encounter designs later on

when the talking is not stomping on itself or wearing out its welcome, it's a fun interplay between hardass outer nara, depressive self-loathing inner nara, and bloodthirsty psycho ship

3 out of 5 chorvs (one chorv deducted for above issues)

i wanted to get into it cause i liked the story and the main character, but i just couldnt get into the combat. its possible my hotas just sucks rear end tho. the stick is too small for my hand and it just generally doesnt feel good to use.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah I played about 8 hours of CHORVS and then fell off, it was fun but didn't hold on to me.

I've seen RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 mentioned in a few YouTubes recently and I always meant to play it - looked it up on ITAD and theres a good deal on GreenManGaming right now so picked it up.

Did a quick check and apparently the 'Ultimate Edition' is absolutely inessential, so just got the regular.

RDR2 is extremely good

cjs: up to engineering in system shock this game owns. def living up to old school vibes i keep forgetting what people say in logs for clues or pass codes wish they were a bit clearer somehow without being hand holdy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i wanted to like it but im impatient as gently caress and the game feels like a moseying simulator

I believe once you open the world it's probably a lot more fun and the attn to detail is next level

my son was playing gta5 last night and man cant wait for gta6

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

RDR2 is extremely good

cjs: up to engineering in system shock this game owns. def living up to old school vibes i keep forgetting what people say in logs for clues or pass codes wish they were a bit clearer somehow without being hand holdy

i have been using a pen and paper for things like objectives and codes. should probably just tell you to do so in the intro but i'm enjoying it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Truman Peyote posted:

i have been using a pen and paper for things like objectives and codes. should probably just tell you to do so in the intro but i'm enjoying it

i feel like this is a bit of an expectation old games had, that you'd be taking notes. remember when nintendo games would have a blank "notes" page in the back of the manual?

it's something i miss a bit, tbh, the last game i can remember actually pushing me to keep my own notes was fez

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

well-read undead posted:

i feel like this is a bit of an expectation old games had, that you'd be taking notes. remember when nintendo games would have a blank "notes" page in the back of the manual?

it's something i miss a bit, tbh, the last game i can remember actually pushing me to keep my own notes was fez
i am told if you adjust Mission difficulty to easiest setting then the codes are non-randomized

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

nother example. what if Gauntlet but good?!?!?

there is a good gauntlet, and it was made by m2 by reverse engineering the arcade game for fun.

https://youtu.be/FLH5B2XTyVA

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

question for people who have finished totk: how do you actually trigger the final boss? do i enter a space, talk to an npc, do something else? asking because i want to explore An Area but suspect it's the location of the final boss, and i dont want to accidentally trigger the final boss by walking into a room i shouldn't have like i did the throne room in botw

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i never tried it in botw but it would be pretty funny if you could just fast travel away from calamity ganon if you encountered him by accident

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quiggy posted:

question for people who have finished totk: how do you actually trigger the final boss? do i enter a space, talk to an npc, do something else? asking because i want to explore An Area but suspect it's the location of the final boss, and i dont want to accidentally trigger the final boss by walking into a room i shouldn't have like i did the throne room in botw
TotK also lets you go straight to the final boss just by walking into its room just like BotW, but it's much more signposted in terms of environment. At least to me it became real obvious real fast just from looking around that A Boss Approaches, especially towards the end of the path

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

well-read undead posted:

i took notes while playing subnautica

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

TotK also lets you go straight to the final boss just by walking into its room just like BotW, but it's much more signposted in terms of environment. At least to me it became real obvious real fast just from looking around that A Boss Approaches, especially towards the end of the path
is it the depths under the castle? i dropped down there very early game and noped out when there a whole bunch of stuff that looked like it could stomp me, never went back yet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i took notes while playing subnautica
:same: i had a bunch of co-ordinates* noted down

*actually depth, bearing + distance from home beacon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I dropped a bunch of beacons to keep track of cool things but it didn't really help because I named all of them "cool thing here"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ty for spoiler tags :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the first note i took i labelled “scary hole”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

graph posted:

ty for spoiler tags :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

jesus WEP posted:

is it the depths under the castle? i dropped down there very early game and noped out when there a whole bunch of stuff that looked like it could stomp me, never went back yet

this is what im wondering too, i want to explore that area but not if it means stumbling on the final boss, there's still a lot of side content I want to do

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

the first note i took i labelled “scary hole”

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol if you didnt use stacks of postits for megamans