Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I also completely glossed over the part where you said "LLMs are very good at search" at first, oh man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If there's one thing llms are good at it's specifics

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

I'm not talking about them replacing an actual person or a physical process, I know why companies would want to do that. This was just replacing a web form with a... hard to use command line interface.

I guess you're talking about specifically the maintenance one posted before, and yeah I get why you'd do it for that.

Right, I'm saying having the clunky UI and chatbot as the only way you can communicate leads to a black box. They're paying for the magic black box to launder their actions. They can blame it for things and you have no proof you submitted a proper legal form, or tried to follow the proper path of escalation. It doesn't need to replace their employee, it's insurance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

why is this capitalism.png? Are we assuming it's replacing a person?

LLMs are very good at search, so I could imagine a domain-specific (in this case, maintenance requests) chatbot that can respond to a user query and doesn't lock users into the "push 8 for broken sink" dial tone menus that exist now. I understand that chatbots are mostly going to be used to further enshittify our experience in interacting with basically any organization and will be used to pay people less/have more people, but a chatbot that can respond to a user's very specific question and then log a ticket if the user isn't satisfied could be a good thing. idk, doesn't seem that bad to me

counterpoint: they are absolutely not good at search

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LLMs are very good at search

My understanding is that it's literally the opposite.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's like that short doc about how difficult it can be to even figure out your landlord's email address or who they even are with an extra step of obfuscation to make it more difficult while pretending to be helpful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anything is better than modern search engines at search

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They've been trying to automate my job for ten years but then it all boils down to "hey how do you know when to do X???" and I'm like "my head is massive, how do you know when to wear those really ugly trousers, shitlord?"

e: Our biggest customer has forbidden them to fire me lamo.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They've been trying to automate my job for ten years but then it all boils down to "hey how do you know when to do X???" and I'm like "my head is massive, how do you know when to wear those really ugly trousers, shitlord?"

e: Our biggest customer has forbidden them to fire me lamo.

The last time I ended up in that situation it just meant I couldn't go on vacation anymore.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wash bucket posted:

The last time I ended up in that situation it just meant I couldn't go on vacation anymore.

Yeah well we have laws about that. E

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I dodnt mean E but is application steed worki

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

https://youtu.be/EShUeudtaFg

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

drat.

She forgot to add the word "reddit" to her queries to make sure she got useful results

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I can fix her.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

drat.

She forgot to add the word "reddit" to her queries to make sure she got useful results
lol that's why she got caught

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

drat.

r/richpeoplecrimes is blacked out unfortunately

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

drat.

You mean "I'm Mirencraft"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You mean "I'm Mirencraft"

Hi Mirencraft, I thought you were rad in The Queen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Hi Mirencraft, I thought you were rad in The Queen

Tanks.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doctors Remove Woman’s Brain Implant Against Her Will

quote:

A woman whose epilepsy was greatly improved by an experimental brain implant was devastated when, just two years after getting it, she was forced to have it removed due to the company that made it going bankrupt.

As the MIT Technology Review reports, an Australian woman named Rita Leggett who received an experimental seizure-tracking brain-computer interface (BCI) implant from the now-defunct company Neuravista in 2010 has become a stark example not only of the ways neurotech can help people, but also of the trauma of losing access to them when experiments end or companies go under.
https://futurism.com/neoscope/brain-implant-removed-consent

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Huh, I felt a twinge of anger reading that. Didn't realize I was still capable of that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was thinking "Well if there's no responsible entity I guess it sorta makes sense to mandate that it be removed instead of figure out the liability" but

quote:

She and her husband attempted to fight the demand, attempting to buy the implant outright and, as University of Tasmania ethicist and paper coauthor Frederic Gilbert told the Tech Review, remortgaging their house to do so. They were unsuccessful, and she was the last person to get the Neuravista BCI removed.

No it's because it was expensive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

I saw this a little while ago on Twitter and want to preface this with being clear that the entire thing is a hosed up result of capitalism but isn’t quite as described.

in short - circa 2010 a medical device company funded a clinical trial with these implants. they went out of business before the clinical trial was published. they told everyone in the trial to have the trial hardware removed (no support) and dissolved the company. this woman just ignored that and continued using the device for about another 5 years before having it removed. this paper then covered the patient’s experiences over the next 5 years.

it’s not exactly clear precisely what happened, but I have a guess from the time frame - the rechargeable battery died. that’s about the right time frame for that to happen. the problem now is that nobody is going to take take over support for that now one off medical device. it probably was not even designed to be serviceable. the company that manufactured it has been gone for 5 years at this point. even with whatever they had from mortgaging the house that is not going to cover recreating whatever it was the now defunct company did and then create a new new clinical trial. all that’s left for their physicians to do is to remove the now useless device.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

hobbesmaster posted:

I saw this a little while ago on Twitter and want to preface this with being clear that the entire thing is a hosed up result of capitalism but isn’t quite as described.

in short - circa 2010 a medical device company funded a clinical trial with these implants. they went out of business before the clinical trial was published. they told everyone in the trial to have the trial hardware removed (no support) and dissolved the company. this woman just ignored that and continued using the device for about another 5 years before having it removed. this paper then covered the patient’s experiences over the next 5 years.

it’s not exactly clear precisely what happened, but I have a guess from the time frame - the rechargeable battery died. that’s about the right time frame for that to happen. the problem now is that nobody is going to take take over support for that now one off medical device. it probably was not even designed to be serviceable. the company that manufactured it has been gone for 5 years at this point. even with whatever they had from mortgaging the house that is not going to cover recreating whatever it was the now defunct company did and then create a new new clinical trial. all that’s left for their physicians to do is to remove the now useless device.

best system there is baby!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

why is this capitalism.png? Are we assuming it's replacing a person?

LLMs are very good at search, so I could imagine a domain-specific (in this case, maintenance requests) chatbot that can respond to a user query and doesn't lock users into the "push 8 for broken sink" dial tone menus that exist now. I understand that chatbots are mostly going to be used to further enshittify our experience in interacting with basically any organization and will be used to pay people less/have more people, but a chatbot that can respond to a user's very specific question and then log a ticket if the user isn't satisfied could be a good thing. idk, doesn't seem that bad to me
I don't know how maintenance requests for rental properties work wherever you live, but here the standard procedure is to write an email. So instead of writing "the kitchen tap is leaking, please send a plumber to fix it" the real estate agency now wants us to go to their website and try to figure out how the gently caress to get a chatbot to send that email on our behalf, give up, and put up with the leaky tap forever until the end of the one year lease period at which time they'll raise the rent and I'll have to move again.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how maintenance requests for rental properties work wherever you live, but here the standard procedure is to write an email. So instead of writing "the kitchen tap is leaking, please send a plumber to fix it" the real estate agency now wants us to go to their website and try to figure out how the gently caress to get a chatbot to send that email on our behalf, give up, and put up with the leaky tap forever until the end of the one year lease period at which time they'll raise the rent and I'll have to move again.

minus a security deposit because that faucet didn't leak when you moved in

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
loving how win8 and later depending on the mood won't even let me boot into safe mode with F8 if the BIOS is configured as UEFI boot

when 99% of the scenarios you want to boot safe mode is because normal boot isnt working

whoops this should be in the dystopia thread, stupid phoneposting me

Palladium has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Jun 14, 2023

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

Oh hey cool we’re making Repo! The Genetic Opera a real thing now

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

starkebn posted:

best system there is baby!

the soviets used an external AA battery pack

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

hobbesmaster posted:

So she has a medical condition that is entirely treatable, but nobody has figured out a way to make a profit on treating it and that's our societies method for determining whether to allocate resources to treatment so welp?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

So she has a medical condition that is entirely treatable, but nobody has figured out a way to make a profit on treating it and that's our societies method for determining whether to allocate resources to treatment so welp?

Better luck next life!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Regarding searches: The sort of ais used for chatbots, if trained correctly, are genuinely useful for greatly narrowing down searches in large piles of data where you don't care about a relatively small number of false positives. But it's useful only in a "assist an expert" way, not a "replace an expert" way. You still need someone who actually knows the subject to look at the results and go "this is bullshit, this is bullshit, ok this is good, this is bullshit, this is good too". It's a multiplier to your labor, not an addition/replacement.

I'm genuinely curious about what will come out of the more "game" like elements of the chatbots. The chatGPT 'social engineering hacker simulator' where you phish, impersonate, etc to get a bunch of info out of simulated clerks and lonely IT department people was a fun way to kill an hour in the bus. Which reminds me...

The stuff I'm genuinely concerned about is how much the chatbots ease the falsification of data. I'm not talking fake news, I'm talking (even more) fake science getting past peer review. For scientific papers involving statistics, there's a bunch of methods for tracking down anomalies, weird numbers fuckery, similarities to other published papers etc. Obviously, a person who is comitted to skillfully falsifying data is going to outdo anything the chatbot can do, with ease - but this isn't about them, it's about the chatbots significantly lowering the bar for what it takes to get away with it. Good news: Chatbots are kinda dumb, leave their own kind of trails, and still leave gaps that someone can use to catch onto the bullshit. Bad news: This is a situation where you can reliably expect the falsifier to have some expertize on the subject matter. People who could otherwise bullshit their false data past their peers have been caught red handed for just literally just copy-pasting the same set of numbers a bunch of times... But discovering this poo poo takes time and someone else's effort, during all of which people unaware of it might reference the falsified papers in their own research and ruin their own work with it, and again, the chatbot's help can significantly increase the time it takes for someone to go "well that's weird", especially in a niche field. poo poo like this usually gets caught because the perpetrator was lazy, but the stuff they usually half-assed is exactly the sort of poo poo that the chatbot is good at coming up with (if you're not concerned about things like "actually being correct")

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Even without AI I see a bunch of dummies in my field who have replaced experts with tech in my field. I've had multiple customers and vendors just this years use incorrect proper shipping names for hazardous materials because the software they pay too much money for spit out the wrong results.
I can send them letters of interpretation and direct CFR that shows it's wrong, but they counter the software vendors they use are big and surely it can't be wrong because they haven't gotten in trouble yet.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Orange Devil posted:

Great real good to do it that way everyone agrees

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

my dad posted:

Regarding searches: The sort of ais used for chatbots, if trained correctly, are genuinely useful for greatly narrowing down searches in large piles of data where you don't care about a relatively small number of false positives.
Plus, OpenAI's chat webapp is set to generate more false positives, randomly choosing less probable tokens as that's what gets you the insane Seinfeld scripts as opposed to boring, robotic answers. An LLM with low temperature set and fine-tuned on your indexed database will be really good at finding specific entries in response to natural language queries. OpenAI basically has an ACCURATE/IMPRESSIVE switch on their Krusty doll and left it on IMPRESSIVE to get investor attention

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ruffian Price posted:

Plus, OpenAI's chat webapp is set to generate more false positives, randomly choosing less probable tokens as that's what gets you the insane Seinfeld scripts as opposed to boring, robotic answers. An LLM with low temperature set and fine-tuned on your indexed database will be really good at finding specific entries in response to natural language queries. OpenAI basically has an ACCURATE/IMPRESSIVE switch on their Krusty doll and left it on IMPRESSIVE to get investor attention

Theyre bad, op

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tokin opposition posted:

the soviets used an external AA battery pack

the sega nomad is the console of the proletariat

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

search already worked fine it’s only gotten worse with google adding fake ai bullshit, llms really have no use they’re just blockchain 3.0 (NFTs were 2.0), anything they can do normal algorithms do better

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

yeah. I’d have to find the journal paper again but iirc she was on the only patient that had such a dramatic improvement with it.

this is all in Australia btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Maed posted:

search already worked fine it’s only gotten worse with google adding fake ai bullshit, llms really have no use they’re just blockchain 3.0 (NFTs were 2.0), anything they can do normal algorithms do better

Can an algorithm turn into cortana from halo 4 and be my girlfriend? I think not :smug: