Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if you go to the yospos tech bubble thread and post tihs you can learn abotu every asian cultures working habits from a certain peep filled individual

can’t stop laughing at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/poli...-discharge-plan

quote:

South Korea PM Han Duck-soo offers to drink treated Fukushima water to soothe critics of Japan’s discharge plan

Han Duck-soo made the remarks in parliament in response to an opposition lawmaker, even as thousands of protesters gathered outside
Fukushima is one of several issues that critics accuse the South Korean government of trying to gloss over as it seeks closer ties with Japan, US

Hahahahaha

Yoon's circus has been a complete national humiliation for SK

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if you go to the yospos tech bubble thread and post tihs you can learn abotu every asian cultures working habits from a certain peep filled individual

lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

DancingShade posted:

Look at these people just living their lives calmly, in a state of sheer panic! No no don't look too closely. They're panicked just trust me on this.

im panicking too, just out of frame

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

An Jung-geun posted:

Hahahahaha

obama_at_flint.png

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

An Jung-geun posted:

Hahahahaha

sucking up to nippon will solve the problem of.my economy eaten up alive by china

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1668685494639534084

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Crapping my tankie pamps rn

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

An Jung-geun posted:

Hahahahaha

why doesn't he just drink piss like a normal sicko instead of sublimating his humiliation fetish to the detriment of SK

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

An Jung-geun posted:

Hahahahaha

i like the go to move for politicians is to drink tainted water during a presser to prove its fine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Popy posted:

i like the go to move for politicians is to drink tainted water during a presser to prove its fine

obama didn't drink flint water tho

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

An Jung-geun posted:

Hahahahaha

i blame this phenomenon entirely on american political theater

https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-devils-milkshake-ray

quote:

Besides, even if President Obama really did drink lead-poisoned water in Flint, his stunt missed the point: prolonged, chronic exposure is what leads to severe impairment, not a single sip. Race, class, and geography are the major determinants of environmental harm. Most people know this, which is why many Flint residents viewed Obama’s theatrics with skepticism.

Yet I would argue that leaders like President Obama are, like the constituents they seek to deceive, fully aware of this structural truth. It’s what makes the Devil’s Milkshake so strange. The stunt seems to be a tacit acknowledgement by the ruling class that they know the general public doesn’t trust them. (Only 19 percent of Americans believe they can trust the government “most of the time.”) Its recent proliferation must be seen as proof of a ruling class desperate to uphold the illusion of democracy. It is the last gasp of a dying order, drinking and eating its way to the grave, restrained or unwilling to fix anything, and thus doomed to play act a fantasy before klieg lights and newscasters.

quote:

This is why the Devil’s Milkshake is ultimately an insult to your intelligence. The point isn’t to give you actionable information about what’s going on. If it was, public officials would just do that, instead of histrionically parading around in front of the cameras to show off the sacrifice they’re making. Nor is the point to rebuild trust in institutions. After all, these figures could just fix the problems, and make our natural and infrastructural environments responsive to crises and safe to navigate.

No, the point of the Devil’s Milkshake is to arrest further complaint. To recycle anger back into “acceptable” forms of discourse and mechanisms of accountability. To move on, forget it ever happened. It’s almost as if, through this act of symbolic consumption, a public official telegraphs their willingness to die for corporate America’s sins. That, because they’re willing to literally metabolize the issue, it’s been addressed, processed, and fixed.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

there was also the train crash tainted water earlier this year that some guy drank, and Hickenlooper drinking fracked water.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
SDF cadet decided to take his service rifle and point it the other direction at the range this morning.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mandoric posted:

SDF cadet decided to take his service rifle and point it the other direction at the range this morning.

might clarify the initialism. there are a few SDF in Asia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DionisCenusa/status/1668518758627852289

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

might clarify the initialism. there are a few SDF in Asia

Good point, JGSDF/日本国陸上自衛隊. No word yet on whether it was political, personal, or accidental.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

schrödinger's capitalists simultaneously accepting the idea that people are born selfish and also rejecting the idea of the same people also want to pick the side with offering much better deals

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

An Jung-geun posted:

Hahahahaha

Humiliation for Loser South Korea

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mandoric posted:

Is this vague post relating to a fragging or just more Japanese emulation

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The SouthEast is Red

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

My partner was talking about overwork culture in China- I wanted to ask, for those with some knowledge, how bad it is and if its comparable to say Korea or Japan

Generally working culture is more sane but not like... European style take a month off in summer.

If you're in the big prestige companies working hours can be insane but that's kind of a global thing.

It's kind of a more "get poo poo done" in the office culture, which can be tough when there's actually projects that require discussion. I had a few nightmare system implementations and process optimization projects until I figured out how to navigate the culture.

Working on global projects the Chinese part of the team would get frustrated with the Americans always wanting to talk endlessly, the Americans would get frustrated at the Chinese team being inflexible (usually it was because the Americans didn't present a good case for making any changes despite talking so much) -- the hours worked seemed to be pretty similar between the two though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i like the influence stat like a mapgame, you can increase the likelihood of an influence boost by increasing your influence budget

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This map is colored like a US election

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Telluric Whistler posted:

Working on global projects the Chinese part of the team would get frustrated with the Americans always wanting to talk endlessly, the Americans would get frustrated at the Chinese team being inflexible (usually it was because the Americans didn't present a good case for making any changes despite talking so much) -- the hours worked seemed to be pretty similar between the two though

Jesus christ YES the American PMC like to talk. And yeah it's the literal opposite of democratic centralism with them; They'll just bring the same poo poo up over and over despite the rest of the team not agreeing then talk about it in instant messaging after the meeting to undermine you

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ah yes, "influence" aka having diplomatic relations with your neighbours

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

how do you even measure "influence"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the Chinese way of "groping for stones to cross the river" is something that I've found to be more effective

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ranter posted:

I was always told Japanese workers often work really hard, long hours. Then later the line changed to "well actually they just pretend to work but really they just sit there doing nothing for 12 hours" which seems maybe a bit racist, like a justification for the US killing their economy.

What's the actual lowdown? Mix of? Leans one way or the other?

It's a land of contrasts, OP.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Chinese way of "groping for stones to cross the river" is something that I've found to be more effective

"Just do something" while being willing to backtrack or change course if it turns out not great gets more done than talking about maybe doing something eventually in my experience. Though I'd be a lot less cavalier about it if I was involved in anything with a direct safety impact.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Jun 14, 2023

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, it's also just a more effective way to make changes because generally it means you're thinking it through and putting together a reasoning. The American team would often ask for something but not really have a good reason for it beyond "It's just sensible" or "It's standard practice".

It can become a problem though when you've got a stubborn/ignorant dude in the lead, though - since the grasping stones approach means you have to actually be willing to learn and take some risks The China sales director at my last company was this guy and basically refused to make any change (which hosed everything when the lockdowns hit Shanghai since he did everything in a very old school, offline way)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"Just do something" resulted some incredibly stupid bullshit that wasted an enormous amount of work at a previous job I had, and was resolved by (risking my job by) shouting at people who spent all day talking to you about how you should talk less and work more. I'm yet to be in a situation where people "talk too much", outside of being unwillingly present at middle management blame passing games after telling them something they didn't like hearing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Orange Devil posted:

It's a land of contrasts, OP.

"Just do something" while being willing to backtrack or change course if it turns out not great gets more done than talking about maybe doing something eventually in my experience. Though I'd be a lot less cavalier about it if I was involved in anything with a direct safety impact.

And I thought I was brilliant coming up with the idea to, when presented with an insurmountable or at least difficult task, to just start hacking away at it at a reasonable pace and figure out better ways to do it as I go

Yeah, it's also just a more effective way to make changes because generally it means you're thinking it through and putting together a reasoning. The American team would often ask for something but not really have a good reason for it beyond "It's just sensible" or "It's standard practice".

It can become a problem though when you've got a stubborn/ignorant dude in the lead, though - since the grasping stones approach means you have to actually be willing to learn and take some risks The China sales director at my last company was this guy and basically refused to make any change (which hosed everything when the lockdowns hit Shanghai since he did everything in a very old school, offline way)

I'm guessing the american way often involves regurgitating streams of third-hand corporate nonsense to justify whatever looked cool on twitter that morning and then high school drama around it

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about cancer treatments but I do know Chairman Xi can shape reality with his mind

Furthermore if bitcoin gives Kim the stone and sling to kill the american Goliath, I'll take back everything I ever said about it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my dad posted:

"Just do something" resulted some incredibly stupid bullshit that wasted an enormous amount of work at a previous job I had, and was resolved by (risking my job by) shouting at people who spent all day talking to you about how you should talk less and work more. I'm yet to be in a situation where people "talk too much", outside of being unwillingly present at middle management blame passing games after telling them something they didn't like hearing.

It probably depends on the job, because I'm rarely in any meetings that really needed to take place.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm guessing the american way often involves regurgitating streams of third-hand corporate nonsense to justify whatever looked cool on twitter that morning and then high school drama around it

At my previous workplace, not as much. They'd basically have a thing they want to do (get every customer using a B2B order management system across all the brands) but they would just want to do endless requirement gathering and negotiating with every person individually, hadn't really thought of what the future process looked like, and refused to take the ultimatum route (which I think the China teams would have preferred because then they could just figure it out internally)

Now my current workplace? Hell yeah that's what they're gonna do. The board here gets one or twice a month workshops from a rotating cast of consultants who come in with bullshit flavor of the month innovations, which results in them running into the office and saying "Why aren't at creating AR goggles for our construction and engineering business?" and "Can we embed ChatGPT into our customer rewards apps as a personalized concierge!?"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't heard of bad working hour in big big tech companies (Huawei Alibaba PDD); I have not heard of it in other sectors in China.

I have a classmate in Tenent actually. He had a small software that got brought out a long time ago. So he has been middle management for a long time and doesn't have bad hours.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

deng ftw

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

yellowcar posted:

ah yes, "influence" aka having diplomatic relations with your neighbours

its incredibly funny that capitalists believe rational actors will never smell their steaming poo from a mile away when they start yapping about liberalism.txt instead of showing money on the table

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I haven't heard of bad working hour in big big tech companies (Huawei Alibaba PDD); I have not heard of it in other sectors in China.

I have a classmate in Tenent actually. He had a small software that got brought out a long time ago. So he has been middle management for a long time and doesn't have bad hours.

my working hours (traditional electronics industry) are a normal 40 hours per week, nothing on the weekends. my wife worked at bytedance for a while and that was nuts, like 9 am to 10 pm 5 days a week and had to be on call on weekends. but her other jobs at non bytedance companies are much more reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

my working hours (traditional electronics industry) are a normal 40 hours per week, nothing on the weekends. my wife worked at bytedance for a while and that was nuts, like 9 am to 10 pm 5 days a week and had to be on call on weekends. but her other jobs at non bytedance companies are much more reasonable

That sucks. Was the pay good at least.