Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Like Clockwork posted:

Tsuyu arc is the worst msq writing in the entire game, prove me wrong

"in darkness blooms the spider lily" is a cold rear end line and I am never going to forget it. that;s good writing imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

God Hole posted:

"in darkness blooms the spider lily" is a cold rear end line and I am never going to forget it. that;s good writing imo

See, Tsukuyomi proper is where the writing starts to recover, it's all the poo poo before that like "we can't judge a literal slaver and human trafficker" and "obviously we should give a member of Yotsuyu's abusive family unsupervised access to her after she's been made way more vulnerable by amnesia" and honestly just the fact that they decided to have amnesia as part of the plot at all are the parts that make it bad.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the Tsukuyomi fight itself is good, but the plot leading up to it just sucks bad and manages to make every character involved worse. I've been vaguely pondering buying a Stormblood skip on my alt just to dodge it, but I suspect judicious use of "skip cutscene" will let me save the money.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Asahi is too good of a character to skip though, one of those dudes you just fuckin love to hate

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, now that you say that, I really do need to see the "Asahi thinks he can intimidate you" scene on the alt, who is a femroe

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"No mother, I will NOT be going to bed at 9 tonight. I am a young adult."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Asahi's existence made me immediately understand and agree with Yotsuyu vis-a-vis her position that "Doma needs to suffer".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

4.2-4.3 is one of the better stretches of story in FF imo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Lotta spoiler bars for the newbie thread.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wow that fight with (ARR) Rhytalyn is kinda bullshit. :stare:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's amazing, A++ trial. They took all the jokes people said when he was a pushover and made them real.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bruceski posted:

It's amazing, A++ trial. They took all the jokes people said when he was a pushover and made them real.

The funny thing is that the very first time I ever did him in the tail end of ShB, it legitimately took us a few attempts because of low DPS

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

The funny thing is that the very first time I ever did him in the tail end of ShB, it legitimately took us a few attempts because of low DPS

Oh yeah, the old version had some tricky stuff to manage as well but was quickly outgeared to the point he usually died before they mattered. You needed to tank him, handle adds, bait AoEs, a level of party coordination that hadn't been seen and wasn't telegraphed well.

I saw one streamer do it where his party set it to min ilevel without him noticing. Even trying to do it properly with only him blind everyone was dying, the entire place was cracking up and he didn't understand why.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, now that you say that, I really do need to see the "Asahi thinks he can intimidate you" scene on the alt, who is a femroe

not even max height

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Meanwhile my FemRa is set to the shortest the slider can go and oh boy do I love it :D

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I genuinely think that Stormblood was better than Heavensward, storywise.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ibblebibble posted:

I genuinely think that Stormblood was better than Heavensward, storywise.

The expansion was boring as hell and nothing surprising or unexpected happened. I really hope it was all an elaborate setup for great stuff to come. The post-patches have already been a marked improvement so far...altough nobody ever stays truly dead in this story, do they? At this point I am 100% convinced Papalymo is just chilling on a island somewhere...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr. Neutron posted:

altough nobody ever stays truly dead in this story, do they?

*looks at the two halves of Teledji Adeledji* Don't even think about it, buster.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

1stGear posted:

Lotta spoiler bars for the newbie thread.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The main thread has stopped using spoiler bars for basically anything before EW, so here is the only safe place for people to talk about the middle expansions (behind bars) without the fear of being blasted by untagged ShB/EW spoilers.

And any time the conversation came up of "hey maybe you should use spoiler tags", people just say things like "oh the marketing material already spoils that" or "it's several year old content, why should we spoiler tag it" despite the fact that it's a courtesy that requires two keypresses.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I agree, while it's good to try to avoid whole pages of nothing but spoiler tags it seems perfectly reasonable to discuss most things pre endwalker (certainly pre Shadowbringers) in this thread and that will require some spoiler tagging.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah I am (nearly) entirely unspoiled about the whole game. The only two things I know are that in Shadowbringers there is a Nier: Automata inspired raid which I am VERY much looking foward to and that in Endwalker you apparently end up going to the Moon :stare:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Meanwhile my FemRa is set to the shortest the slider can go and oh boy do I love it :D

That was disorienting to me (in a fun way) when I was one. Lalas have odd proportions that help compensate but FemRa have the typical body shape and it messes with perspective. Especially in Ishgard.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bruceski posted:

That was disorienting to me (in a fun way) when I was one. Lalas have odd proportions that help compensate but FemRa have the typical body shape and it messes with perspective. Especially in Ishgard.

:3: "Hello tall people!"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

The expansion was boring as hell and nothing surprising or unexpected happened. I really hope it was all an elaborate setup for great stuff to come. The post-patches have already been a marked improvement so far...altough nobody ever stays truly dead in this story, do they? At this point I am 100% convinced Papalymo is just chilling on a island somewhere...

Eh, what can I say, I vibed with rebellions a lot more than dragons.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only trial so far that I had real problems with, it took me several tries and was one of the few times I had to use potions. A+ fight.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, from what I've seen of Shadowbringers so far, it seems the devs are big fans of FF13-3 and Bayonetta :v:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Welcome to Shad- wait, hang on, not yet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

1stGear posted:

Welcome to Shad- wait, hang on, not yet.

This is a meme in itself. All of it. All of it is Welcome to Shadowbringers.

I posted in the main thread, but I fired up the game for the first time in months last night and oh god my muscle memory has betrayed me. The returner icon next to my name is doing some heavy lifting right now. What are buttons? Rotation? Never heard of her! It's like being a newbie again, with even some hits of tankxiety for a veteran "all tank all the time" player!

I should do an MSQ replay to get back into the swing of things.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Warmachine posted:

This is a meme in itself. All of it. All of it is Welcome to Shadowbringers.

I posted in the main thread, but I fired up the game for the first time in months last night and oh god my muscle memory has betrayed me. The returner icon next to my name is doing some heavy lifting right now. What are buttons? Rotation? Never heard of her! It's like being a newbie again, with even some hits of tankxiety for a veteran "all tank all the time" player!

I should do an MSQ replay to get back into the swing of things.

That you even know rotations exists put you ahead of your pets peers.

Don’t forget just about every MSQ dungeon has duty support now (I think it’s suppose to be completed by 6.45 if not already?) so you can just run those if you want to relax while you get back into it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cyks posted:

That you even know rotations exists put you ahead of your pets peers.

Don’t forget just about every MSQ dungeon has duty support now (I think it’s suppose to be completed by 6.45 if not already?) so you can just run those if you want to relax while you get back into it.

Almost - dungeons introduced during the Stormblood Patches are the only 4-player duties left without Duty Support. Trials and Crystal Tower still lack duty support. Crystal Tower is unlikely to ever receive it, but they have suggested that they might look into doing MSQ-required Trials as well in the future, but nothing immediately planned.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

MSQ required trials seems on the list given the 89 trial had it so I can see that being their next big push

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 14, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I was under the impression that part of the intent of Duty Support was making it so that the MSQ could still be played through in a hypothetical future where the community dies. If that's the case, then yeah, they would need to add most of the game's trials and Crystal Tower at some point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

MSQ required trials seems on the list given the 89 trial had it so I can see that being their next big push

Thematically also one of the best trials to give that treatment.

I did start falling back into looking things up before I went in for normals and such, though I did P11 and P12N blind and didn't do (too) poorly. Button presses still feel clownshoes to me though, and I know I couldn't pull off some of the dumb tank bullshit I could prior to my break yet.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Was surprised and a little disappointed to see no big changes to the 4.0 dungeons with the trust update. It's better than the alternative of asking the dev team to use resources redoing entire bosses, and maybe there was probably some inkling of trust/duty support future proofing in Stormblood. Boss mechanics by that point had already gotten down to a sort of system instead of some of the weirdo poo poo that ARR bosses had, but I do wish some bosses like the67 dungeon final boss got a second pass.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 14, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I'm okay with any bosses that don't need a revamp for Duty Support.

Besides, I'm quite pleased with the NPC roster for your Duty Support party members in the Stormblood Dungeons. I wasn't actually expecting to see the NPC tanking the level 70 dungeon just yet; figured they wouldn't show up until the patches.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the second boss of the level 69 dungeon got some pretty major changes, in that they now have things like mechanics you need to do, and enough hp to last more than 20 seconds

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

the second boss of the level 69 dungeon got some pretty major changes, in that they now have things like mechanics you need to do, and enough hp to last more than 20 seconds

I had a roulette group wipe twice on this guy. We weren't playing all that well, but still, huge glow-up.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Why so many cool jobs must be tanks? I would love to embrace angst of being Dark Knight, but tanxiety is too strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Szarrukin posted:

Why so many cool jobs must be tanks? I would love to embrace angst of being Dark Knight, but tanxiety is too strong.
Do you have tanxiety in which type of content? If it's for Dungeons, there aren't any ways to avoid having to tank, but if you do trials/raids as a tank, you can just ask your co-tank to MT and then you basically become a blue DPS. What helped me get over my tank anxiety personally was: running content with friends, and not running low-level dungeons anymore.