Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

probably the biggest assumption I see in that article is that they are just comparing median home purchase prices to median rental prices, which conveniently ignores that the median rental offering is probably an aging 800 sq foot apartment with the cheapest hardware the management can put in and pass code while the median offering for sale is like a 2000 sq foot thing with uPdAtEd sTaInLeSs StEeL aPpLiAnCeS.

Im in the middle of closing on a 1150 sq foot townhome in Maryland that is still frankly palatial for my single no-kids no-pets having rear end, and it was literally only the second place for sale that size that I found in SIX MONTHS that wasnt a condo with a busted elevator, a manufactured house next to the chemical plant, or a rotting 100 year old heap with a broken oil furnace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Justus posted:

probably the biggest assumption I see in that article is that they are just comparing median home purchase prices to median rental prices, which conveniently ignores that the median rental offering is probably an aging 800 sq foot apartment with the cheapest hardware the management can put in and pass code while the median offering for sale is like a 2000 sq foot thing with uPdAtEd sTaInLeSs StEeL aPpLiAnCeS.

Im in the middle of closing on a 1150 sq foot townhome in Maryland that is still frankly palatial for my single no-kids no-pets having rear end, and it was literally only the second place for sale that size that I found in SIX MONTHS that wasnt a condo with a busted elevator, a manufactured house next to the chemical plant, or a rotting 100 year old heap with a broken oil furnace.

Ah, you mean a New York Brownstone Style Walkup, A Flex-Use Single Family Detached Home, and An Eclectic Vintage Character House

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

So does that include building equity in the home or does it just take into account the cost of renting vs the mortgage cost for the same property

It looks like they didn't include price appreciation, home equity, maintenance costs, or median utilities into the equation at all, just went durr monthly dollars

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Justus posted:

that and the timeline. with a fix rate mortgage its gonna be the same 10, 20, 30 years from now, likely less as there will probably eventually be a good time to refinance, so the only thing that could really go up is property taxes.

when I moved to this city the 700 sqft 1 bedroom apartment was around 650/mo, in a p cheap area. Exact same apartment is now 1200. Thats almost as much as our mortgage for the 2500 sqft house we got in 2014. By 2025 or so itll probably literally be more expensive than our house that could comfortably fit a family of 4.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My parents raised eight kids in 1200 square feet, people are soft nowadays

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Justus posted:

Renting is cheaper if you take slum lording into account, says one article.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Another thing they're doing here is taking these rowhouses in old walkable neighborhoods and turning the entire first floor into a garage, because carbrain is terminal

that seems so loving inconvenient bordering on impossible to use. maybe the streets that have rowhomes are wider in Pittsburgh or something but I can't imagine trying to pull into a hypothetical first floor garage in the neighborhood I grew up in or any of my family lived in, let alone having to back out in the morning

the street I grew up on is not wide enough for a modern F250 to drive down unless nobody was parked on it lol. even in the 80s and 90s with smaller cars people's driver side mirrors were regularly getting bumped and dinged

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

indigi posted:

that seems so loving inconvenient to use. maybe the streets that have rowhomes are wider in Pittsburgh or something but I can't imagine trying to pull into a hypothetical first floor garage in the neighborhood I grew up in or any of my family lived in, let alone having to back out in the morning

Nobody uses a garage for parking vehicles anymore. Garages are just easily accessible ground level storage. Their crossovers probably dont fit, anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
that's what the basement is for!

Apr 7, 2003

indigi posted:

that seems so loving inconvenient bordering on impossible to use. maybe the streets that have rowhomes are wider in Pittsburgh or something but I can't imagine trying to pull into a hypothetical first floor garage in the neighborhood I grew up in or any of my family lived in, let alone having to back out in the morning

the street I grew up on is not wide enough for a modern F250 to drive down unless nobody was parked on it lol. even in the 80s and 90s with smaller cars people's driver side mirrors were regularly getting bumped and dinged

This particular street is wide enough

butttttt it's wide enough for plenty of on-street parking too, there's no fuckin reason to blow up an entire floor of living space for a car hole

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
yeah that's just a waste of house space. also they should make it a two lane road and have everyone do angle parking with protected bike path

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

indigi posted:

that's what the basement is for!
I hope it doesn't have a basement, otherwise lol at 100 year old rowhome joists trying to hold the weight of a vehicle.

Edit: there's a street view pic from 2008 with the garage door open and there's clearly no basement.

Nothus has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Jun 12, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1668347059353669632?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Oldest Man posted:

It looks like they didn't include price appreciation, home equity, maintenance costs, or median utilities into the equation at all, just went durr monthly dollars

Eh, you might as well just roll it all together now for new buyers with these interest rates. The amortization schedule on something like a $300k loan at current rates is dire and you'll probably pay $100k in interest before you've even doubled your equity in the home. We're definitely at the point where anyone without a very large down payment who isn't planning on staying in their home for a very long time might legitimately spend less by renting.

Not even remotely intended to be an argument in favor of renting, just saying that equity is a bad argument right now when a $350k home might legitimately end up costing you three-quarter million dollars, and you'll ultimately eat a lot of that interest in the years that you're waiting for a refi.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

if he spent hundreds of thousands and took in $234k... is he operating at a loss still?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, you might as well just roll it all together now for new buyers with these interest rates. The amortization schedule on something like a $300k loan at current rates is dire and you'll probably pay $100k in interest before you've even doubled your equity in the home. We're definitely at the point where anyone without a very large down payment who isn't planning on staying in their home for a very long time might legitimately spend less by renting.

Not even remotely intended to be an argument in favor of renting, just saying that equity is a bad argument right now when a $350k home might legitimately end up costing you three-quarter million dollars, and you'll ultimately eat a lot of that interest in the years that you're waiting for a refi.

avg rent increases at 8.8% nationally for the last 40 years means even if you ignore everything else the mortgage is still far better

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

thanks brandon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1668000617485283333?s=20

This lovely Frank Loyd Wright knock-off is almost affordable for CT.

the siding, roofs and steel? retaining structure look like they need a million dollars of work

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

for example

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Any weird-rear end ultra bespoke home like that basically requires you to be a millionaire to own and maintain it. The cost to buy might as well be irrelevant.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my guess is that steel support structure was added later

which is not a good sign

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

its a very cool house tho for sure

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Illinois in general, and Chicago specifically still seem affordable.

... Oh god why would anyone think that combination looks good?? Is this what the 70's felt like?

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/5a7ca94844ebced0a9bc4dc87221cf73-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
BIG Dog media

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1668771995457126400?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Really enjoy headlines that don't work unless you pretend to not understand what "inflation" actually measures.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1667854029651689472?t=QjdpnlUlmX9LFUgQcfX70A&s=19

Did I say housing prices were going down? I meant they're continuing to go up.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

literally every single drank lloyd write building is lovely they all have leaky roofs

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

i am harry posted:

literally every single drank lloyd write building is lovely they all have leaky roofs

that's most buildings eventually probably

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Frank Lloyd wrong

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

Frank Lloyd wrong

there it is

Apr 7, 2003

Frank Lloyd Wright was a tiny man who built houses with low ceilings to annoy tall people, and that rules

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Frank Lloyd Wright was a tiny man who built houses with low ceilings to annoy tall people, and that rules

Such brilliance...truly a magnificent man.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lmao short people are so sad

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

indigi posted:

Frank Lloyd wrong

:ocelot:

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

watch the ceiling, beanpole

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

if he spent hundreds of thousands and took in $234k... is he operating at a loss still?

to buy two properties and be looking to break even or generate profit in a couple years is an incredible roi. the value of the properties will never go down thanks to number so if he gets bored or the airbnb market slows down he can sell for another profit

thank you free money policy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

i am harry posted:

I legit feel bad for any short (under 5'10) man

Apr 7, 2003

indigi posted:

I legit feel bad for any short (under 5'10) man