Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

"People love to pay for something that used to be free, which is mostly advertising/marketing for something we are selling to them" is such peak tech company brain that I'm surprised Riot hasn't gone for the self-kill with it on LCS already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

any kind of subscription would need to be something value added instead of gatekeeping, like getting skin shards for every month or exclusive riot twitch emotes or something similar, because esports viewers are not live sports viewers and will categorically not pay money for the privilege of viewing

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

If I had to pay for live LoL, I'd also be paying for some billboard-trucks to drive around Berlin real drat soon-like.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Didn't OGN make a profit literally by having a subscription on Twitch until Riot nuked them?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Flappy Bert posted:

Didn't OGN make a profit literally by having a subscription on Twitch until Riot nuked them?
iirc their VoDs were locked behind a subscription and I had an OGN sub for a pretty long time because of it, but it didn't bother me all that much because all of the OGN casters (Eng and Korean both) were really good at turning pauses into podcasts

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MirageAlliance/status/1666148628384055305
I see Dardoch is role swapping to support.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’ll add this org to the list of people dumb enough to sign Dardoch.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

njsykora posted:

At least he won a (collegiate) championship I suppose.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

i have to imagine at this point that he's probably chilled the gently caress out considering that his star's fallen down to the collegiate support player level

that's not to besmirch collegiate support players, mind you, but as far as your ego goes, it's a grand canyon's distance away from "best jungler in NA"

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vermain posted:

i have to imagine at this point that he's probably chilled the gently caress out considering that his star's fallen down to the collegiate support player level

that's not to besmirch collegiate support players, mind you, but as far as your ego goes, it's a grand canyon's distance away from "best jungler in NA"

To be fair he was at least still jungling on UST's team.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://lolesports.com/article/lcs-set-to-return-on-june-14/blt72c33f74762744ca

LCS Summer starts June 14th and will have Wednesday games throughout.

E: Also supposedly Uzi to EDG?

kirtar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 9, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The LCSPA caved and got none of what they were asking for. What they're claiming to have gotten were things Riot said they were already going to do (the $300k for NACL teams), or things that address none of they issues they said they wanted to fix. 30 days severance means nothing when it only covers the people who were already well known players to be getting 150% the minimum salary in the NACL and the rest is all vague promises of future discussions.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 9, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Welp

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kirtar posted:

https://lolesports.com/article/lcs-set-to-return-on-june-14/blt72c33f74762744ca

LCS Summer starts June 14th and will have Wednesday games throughout.

E: Also supposedly Uzi to EDG?

i'm glad they were able to secure a firmer footing for the NACL, at least. i wasn't expecting much in the way of regional sustainability or a valorant-style model, both since the current financial climate is pretty fuckin' dire and because actually setting up something reasonable requires an offseason's worth of discussion rather than something you just kinda plop down in the middle of the split. hopefully that last condition isn't merely smoke and they're able to keep negotiating and figure something out

pretty wild to hear that uzi's making another run for it, since his return was rather middling from what i remember? can't say i'm sad to see him back playing, either way; the dude's just too classic to not love

njsykora posted:

The LCSPA caved and got none of what they were asking for. What they're claiming to have gotten were things Riot said they were already going to do (the $300k for NACL teams), or things that address none of they issues they said they wanted to fix. 30 days severance means nothing when it only covers the people who were already well known players to be getting 150% the minimum salary in the NACL and the rest is all vague promises of future discussions.

it's disappointing, but they realistically didn't have much in the way of long-term leverage, so getting some level of guarantees for the NACL was likely the best outcome they were going to get

i do think that the discussions aren't over, at the least, since the financial future of the LCS is still very much up in the air, and letting the current situation of teams gradually withdrawing resources and leaving their teams with skeleton crews can't be healthy either for the region's competitiveness or the prestige of the LCS as a marketable esports product

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 9, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

based off the lck games last night, zeri yummi is back and ksante is still lame as hell

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CODChimera posted:

based off the lck games last night, zeri yummi is back and ksante is still lame as hell

they're probably going to have to legitimately give zeri a fur allergy where she has a % chance to sneeze and self-stun while yuumi's attached to her, because if the rework isn't enough to remove the combo from pro then i can't see it ever falling out of favor if the two aren't simultaneously and severely nerfed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The original for fun region is getting an English language broadcast.
https://twitter.com/lolesports/status/1667276770813308928

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/EDG_Edward/status/1667452451321188352

Hope his return goes better that Doublelifts

Killed By Death fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 10, 2023

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

njsykora posted:

The original for fun region is getting an English language broadcast.
https://twitter.com/lolesports/status/1667276770813308928

haha weird why would they have possibly wanted to put together an english broadcast for this timeslot so suddenly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

gotta say: the CBLOL english broadcast is actually really drat good. solid casters and desk all around

hopefully it attracts a bit more of an audience, 3k~ isn't terrible but it might not be sustainable in the long term without more eyes

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

holy poo poo the new neeko lol

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
LCS is back today woo-hoo!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
LCS is back and I do not care

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
what, you don't like comedy?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/Nukeduck/status/1669063523706769408

lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the LCS truly is back

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
off to a great start

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
they brought back hauntzer?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

they brought back hauntzer?

TSM's pulling out of the LCS at the end of this year barring extraordinary circumstances, so this is a real "rubbing two nickels together" roster

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
TL and losing team fights from ahead, name a more iconic duo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

TL and losing team fights from ahead, name a more iconic duo

summit at least managed to find a good angle around baron, i think they've got this in the bag

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

or not lol, hauntzer remembered the advanced flash + R malphite tech

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

FlyQuest looking pretty bad

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Killed By Death posted:

FlyQuest looking pretty bad

it'd be pretty funny if we got two perfect games in a single day

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

what a dreadful first game lmao

it's one thing to have a bit of a sleepy start to the split and quite another to go 0-17 when the enemy team is fielding loving nukeduck in 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Year of the Duck 2023 baby.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Nukeduck finally unlocked the secret to success in league: just don't die

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Apparently peak viewership was something like half of opening day from last split.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kirtar posted:

Apparently peak viewership was something like half of opening day from last split.

probably a combination of the unusual schedule (the wednesday makeup games thing wasn't broadcast well at all, especially for people who were only peripherally paying attention to the walkout), the same stale LCK zeri/aphelios/yuumi/milio meta, and the lingering bad vibes from having the start of the split being marred by a bitter labour dispute

i also have to imagine that, despite how far their stars have fallen from their heydays, the loss of the CLG brand and TSM's immanent departure have sent their remaining fan presence packing, and a lot of teams are starting with these halfhearted thrown together budget rosters with zero personality. just not a lot to get excited for either in game or out of game

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
LCS summer has atrocious vibes and the highest profile matchup was C9 taking GG out behind a shed for the 10th time in the last few months