Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the potential harm here is more whatever consequences these prisoners might face if they ever return to Russia, which also needs to be considered.

I want to address this more directly. Neither Ukraine nor anyone else has a shred of responsibility for how Russia treats their own soldiers. If Putin adopted the WWII policy of handling their own recovered POWs as enemies of the state, would Ukraine have a responsibility to not take any Russians prisoner? Of course not, the very idea is ridiculous. If Putin decides to punish Russian soldiers for giving an interview, that similarly is neither Ukraine's fault or responsibility to mitigate. They are fighting a war for their very survival and if a few interviews help them continue to win the PR/propaganda war, they not only have the right but also the responsibility to pursue it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh, yeah, I hope that these interviews help make the war more real for any potential fence-sitters that might be wondering whether to support Ukraine or not, it just makes me sad that a bunch of these guys might not be able to return home without having to look over their shoulder for the rest of their lives.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
But it's not a war it is a special military operation :smug:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
These interviews might also have the effect of making it more difficult for the Russian MOD to raise additional forces, and they're already having difficulties in that area. Hopefully you can understand why I believe that publishing those videos could be seen as imperative for the Ukrainian propaganda service.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ded posted:

But it's not a war it is a special military operation :smug:
See how many Nazi skeletons were under the dam removed by special military means?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Have we ruled out that Russia was just storing ammunition in the dam and someone had a smoking accident for real this time?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Blistex posted:

Have we ruled out that Russia was just storing ammunition in the dam and someone had a smoking accident for real this time?

Russia is such a shitshow that even with all the random industrial failures, it’s still really hard to say whether those were actual accidents from deferred maintenance, corruption/grift, et al and we’re just seeing more because people are paying more attention now, or actual sabotage by random groups of civilians/partisans (before you even get the actual Ukrainians involved).

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
They passed legislationlike last week that made it illegal to investigate any mishaps that happen to dams in occupied territory

so yea, probably accidental

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Is there not also the possibility that the collapse of the dam due to malfeasance in management triggered the fuses in the ordinance that was rigged to blow there, and caused a chain reaction cook-off that accelerated the destruction.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Maybe the dam was just like JFK's head and it did that on its own?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Is there not also the possibility that the collapse of the dam due to malfeasance in management triggered the fuses in the ordinance that was rigged to blow there, and caused a chain reaction cook-off that accelerated the destruction.

oh god the internet has ruined all sense of irony and I can't tell where this post lands.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

CainFortea posted:

oh god the internet has ruined all sense of irony and I can't tell where this post lands.

Management triggered dam fuses. The dam ordinance used to defend the dam blew early, and there was a cook-off.

Easy.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The russians pushed the button to blow up the dam, but because of maintenance failures the detonators didn't work. Then, due to other, unrelated maintenance failures, the dam was overtopped by water and broke, at which point the explosives detonated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, I hope that these interviews help make the war more real for any potential fence-sitters that might be wondering whether to support Ukraine or not, it just makes me sad that a bunch of these guys might not be able to return home without having to look over their shoulder for the rest of their lives.

Be a lot sadder if they ate a bullet in a ditch

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Honestly it's hard to rule anything out completely wrt how the dam disappeared. Something caused a bunch of reports of an explosion but that could or could not be unrelated and certainly in an active warzone there're a lot of reasons why people might hear an explosion in the middle of the night. There's FIRMS data suggesting something maybe blew up in the area, but nothing definitive (FIRMS data was being used early in the conflict to precisely locate various things that shouldn't be precisely located easily and then was taken down for a while before reappearing with apparently some significant degree of obfuscation built in so it's definitely not strictly dependable). Russia has footage from at least shortly after the breach (we know this because they released excerpts of it), but if they have footage showing clearly what happened, I doubt we will ever see it unless it serves some clear purpose for them to show it, which is hard to imagine what that could be. All that said, I think a coherent case has been made that it could've been the result of a non-explosive collapse, though I'm incredibly hostile to ever putting the word spontaneous near that.

I pushed back a ton against the spontaneous collapse stuff on the day it happened because 1) there was no evidence it was spontaneous in any real sense 2) if you are administering a massive dam and it collapses under your watch you are utterly liable for the consequences of it and for the consequences of failing to warn/evacuate everyone and 3) I don't buy for a second that one of the largest dams in europe collapsed with no warning. 3 has since resolved because clearly the dam was having significant issues in the days leading up to the breach and instead Russia handled it in the worst possible way and failed to warn people downstream. I generally reject the idea that durr russia is too incompetent to manage a dam because russia has no problem administering many of the largest dams and reservoirs on the planet and has been doing so for a century. hell, turning out very capable engineers is one of the handful of things that Russia has actually been exceptionally good at (and to the great benefit of everywhere that they have been emigrating to). Basically if Russia had given a gently caress to manage the dam, they absolutely could have. Instead they completely neglected that duty and directly by inaction, negligence, and abject disregard of the people living downstream of the dam they caused one of the worst man made disasters in Europe in decades.

Failing to administer a dam like that is a huge loving political scandal and avoiding that is a plausible reason why Russia passed the 'no investigations or legal consequences for anyone who may or may not be responsible' rules package a week before the collapse. I'm averse to making too many comparisons to how things are done in the US, but imagine like the Hoover dam collapsing overnight (not the best comparison, but both are nationally defining pieces of infrastructure that entire regions depend upon) and the way responsibility for that failure would go up the chain of people responsible both for maintenance, monitoring, disaster response, public relations etc. and then through the people responsible for putting those people in charge and so on. Beyond a political scandal and a disaster for all life downstream, it's a huge legitimacy failure for Russia's attempt to assert that it is the legitimate administrator and owner of the territories it claims. Basically you can convince me that a lot of the oddities around Russia's response were a pre-emptive effort to bury a massive failure before it could become a huge scandal.

sorry for all the long posts in here lately, I spend too much time reading and talking about this stuff and am apparently bad at brevity

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 14, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don't apologize, long effort posts are in fact good

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Blistex posted:

Maybe the dam was just like JFK's head and it did that on its own?

next youre gonna tell me you can kill me with two tea bags and some wax paper

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
That curve in the road collapsing several days ahead of the dam is a really strong indicator of structural problems. And if the Russians weren't completely clueless, they'd have seen it coming. So yeah, they're culpable, no doubt about it.

What's been frustrating to witness is how even the barest fig-leaf of uncertainty has completely dampened any coordinated international response.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tuna-Fish posted:

The russians pushed the button to blow up the dam, but because of maintenance failures the detonators didn't work. Then, due to other, unrelated maintenance failures, the dam was overtopped by water and broke, at which point the explosives detonated.

:hmmyes:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Did any governments come out saying it was Russia that blew up the dam? The seismic activity registered before and the satellite data makes it seem like it was them for sure, but for some reason is the intelligence not reliable enough to assign the blame?

The only explanation I can think of in the realm of possibility that they think it could have been Ukraine so people are holding off until they're sure. And the only reason I can see Ukraine doing that would be to wait for the reservoir to dry up so the river crossing can be skipped and they can advance south skipping most of the fortifications in Zaporozhye.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kadyrov's deputy was killed or seriously wounded just outside of Mauripol, presumably while filming a TikTok video.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0834349c1d622e

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
kadyrov sent a message to ukraine asking pretty plz tell me where you blew up my guys so I can find him

lol

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1668929160071335938

Looks like it's HIMARS o' clock recently.

quote:

Russian sources say that the HIMARS strike that led to hundreds of casualties near Kreminna, it took place earlier today. Involved was the 20th Army and its general, Sukhrab "If they die, they die" Akhmedov, known for last year's Vuhledar kamikaze charge. The Delimkhanov incident appears to be completely unrelated:

"Yesterday Putin was talking about how inefficient parquet generals are, and today there are reports in the Kreminna area a strike was dealt at the units of one of the divisions that were waiting for a speech from the division commander.

They say that they waited two hours in one place. As you might guess, the only things that arrived were HIMARS and artillery.

As they write, the responsibility is on the commander of the 20th army, General Akhmedov, who managed to become famous with Muradov near Ugledar."

One hell of a way to get blown up, because your commander didn't want you leaving without hearing himself speak and took an extra couple of hours to get his hair just right before showing up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This article is extremely visceral. The footage has a lot of dead bodies, but it's worth a read if you can stomach it.

The Russian Soldier Who Surrendered to a Ukrainian Drone
Trying to survive bombardment in the trenches, draftee Ruslan Anitin pleaded with a drone to spare his life

(non-paywalled link)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-soldier-surrender-ukraine-drone-3860ab6a?st=mpjl4d8illrcneu&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

psydude posted:

This article is extremely visceral. The footage has a lot of dead bodies, but it's worth a read if you can stomach it.

The Russian Soldier Who Surrendered to a Ukrainian Drone
Trying to survive bombardment in the trenches, draftee Ruslan Anitin pleaded with a drone to spare his life

(non-paywalled link)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-soldier-surrender-ukraine-drone-3860ab6a?st=mpjl4d8illrcneu&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

It's heartening to know that the Ukrainians aren't growing completely callous towards the Russians over the war, they could have easily just blown this guy up and then gone off to have a beer, but instead they chose to do the hard thing and save him. I don't think everyone could have that sort of heart towards members of a group that had invaded their country and killed their neighbours.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

It's heartening to know that the Ukrainians aren't growing completely callous towards the Russians over the war, they could have easily just blown this guy up and then gone off to have a beer, but instead they chose to do the hard thing and save him. I don't think everyone could have that sort of heart towards members of a group that had invaded their country and killed their neighbours.

Ukrainian soldiers are offered a cash bounty for POWs (as long as they don’t risk their lives in doing so)

Dead Russians can’t get captured Ukrainians back in a POW exchange

edit: It doesn’t invalidate what you’re saying, but they are encouraged to make that effort

Victis fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 14, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1668894660922691585?t=TH4zDcU7f6xjZUcRUbJyEA&s=19

Russia has Eurovision at home.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm not a fashion knower, but I know some ugly rear end poo poo when I see it and that's it right there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao, they actually threatened to make an explicitly heterosexual Eurovision of their own back in 2014 when Conchita Wurst won. Conchita's an excellent performer, but knowing that they pissed off Russia just endears them to me even more.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PurpleXVI posted:

Looks like it's HIMARS o' clock recently.

Infantry in the open, prox high, open sheaf

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervision_Song_Contest

Not the first tile USSR has tried to bridge the glitter-gap.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's a video circulating from a guy with the mechanized unit that got stuck and then hammered while trying to breach the minefield in western Zhaporizhizhia. He says they only took 5 KIA in the attack (no mention of how many WIA). Which, if true, kind of speaks to the quality of the western systems in keeping their occupants alive.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd be real careful considering that a safe blanket statement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A mass of Russian troops getting exploded because an officer demanded an all hands in a war zone is really something

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

That agriculture dress looks fine, and also as if they found it in a storeroom back from a similar event from the SU.
Those "steampunk" pyjamas look like the kind of thing the aliexpress thread orders as prank gifts. They are probably all on there but the other 3 are not even prank gift tier.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm not a fashion knower, but I know some ugly rear end poo poo when I see it and that's it right there.

weak, shoulda ripped off the educational series silver certificates that theme was already perfected 100 years ago

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokoshnik

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

SHODAN, how far you've fallen...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

psydude posted:

There's a video circulating from a guy with the mechanized unit that got stuck and then hammered while trying to breach the minefield in western Zhaporizhizhia. He says they only took 5 KIA in the attack (no mention of how many WIA). Which, if true, kind of speaks to the quality of the western systems in keeping their occupants alive.

One of the comments I saw at the time stated that it looked like the blowout panels on the Leopards had done their job but their was speculation about how the crew had fared so that helps clarify that I think. Apparently, a lot of the disabled Leopards were retrieved and repaired in short order as well-- they had been immobilized but not destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mercenarynuker posted:

SHODAN, how far you've fallen...

It looks like something straight out of Vista's music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989-7xsRLR4