Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, a lot of people just want to see a bunch of elite packs explode on the screen at once.

not me i want to run around empty hallways carrying a box/key/rock/grimble/shmingus. except sometimes, i also want to run to one (1) monster, click my mouse on him, then run to another one monster, and also click my mouse on him.

any more than that is a bit too rich for my blood, also i think milk is too spicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shredder posted:

I haven't bothered trying pvp yet, is it full of sweaty rogues just waiting for people to extract shards or whatever?

They don't need to wait as the server announces when someone does that and where they are.

Pvp is great get in there.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Shredder posted:

I haven't bothered trying pvp yet, is it full of sweaty rogues just waiting for people to extract shards or whatever?

My pvp experience so far has been either soloing Large Dopamine Packs and extracting without issue or playing sick pvp 3v3 rocket tag

it's pretty fun!

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

rap music posted:

you can skip the campaign

only after beating it, thus guaranteeing free skill points and paragons to any new characters

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I don't understand why nightmare dungeons are supposedly worse than regular dungeons for leveling. They seem to be the same thing with an additional enemy affix? Is it just because the specific dungeons that can have nightmare sigils are not efficient?

on a related note, how do I get higher tier nightmare dungeons? I'm level 52 and am only getting tier 1 stuff to drop. I kind of figured I'd get tier 2 sigils from running teir 1 dungeons, etc. but apparently that is not the case. Do I just need to level up?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dameius posted:

You're not the first to bring up fishing for grifts and in the context of this conversation I'm still not sure why people bring it up. It's entirely true that fishing happened, but it only happened when people were doing max push runs. For farming you just played every map given to you. And grifts only needed fishing because there were some very poorly constructed tilesets in the map pool and the problem of fishing could be fixed by removing them. It wasn't a fault of the rift system itself.

No but that is beside the point. The fact that people ended up pulling the lever over in the name of pushing is exemplary of what's happening now with the one specific dungeon. It's not a one to one comparison it's engaging in behavior outside the game loop to optimize. People can do what they want I don't really care but the fact that players feel the need to do this stuff has never and will never make sense to me. That's all. It's a lot of fuss over something that won't matter before too long because either Blizzard caves or the players forget about it and find another optimal thing to do that I will likewise not understand because I play these games to zone out.

TyrantWD posted:

I'd gladly do 300 altars over grinding out side quests for reknown. Just get rid of reknown and attach each of the rewards that apply to all characters to a dungeon, or scrap them entirely and balance things around players not having the extra skill and paragon points.

Players will always look for the max efficiency thing in a game where killing more things = more power - the vast majority of players are probably doing whatever they envision to the be the most efficient thing that they find fun. Ruins of Eridu is no longer the max efficiency dungeon, so people will switch to the next one down. Also the game in general has a big problem with low density, so if Blizzard are just going to keep chopping down which ever place rises to the top, in a year this game is going to look like Shadow of the Colossus where you ride around big empty zones hunting down a single mob to kill. Not to mention killing more monsters in a smaller space is more fun in an ARPG. Grabbing multiple packs and elites and then burning them down is awesome. If they equalized total XP out of all the dungeons, I'd still run the one with the most density. If anything, I'd like to see Blizzard double the amount of monsters in each dungeon and cut the xp they grant.

Mystery Chests are a similar thing where they are the most efficient use of your currency in helltides. Why do so many players try to do them instead of just taking whatever is nearest?

People keep saying the game has a problem with density but I don't agree. I also don't think that my subjective assessment of whether the density is good or not is an interesting thing to talk about. I know how a certain kind of player views and plays this game but that doesn't make it comprehensible to me. That’s OK. Everyone does things differently.

And though I don't have any complaints with density I would also probably be cool with your idea about reduced xp but now more dudes to compensate.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 14, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I did a tier 1 NM dungeon at level 52 and got a tier 4 sigil. :shrug:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The occultist can make sigils. I do not know what level that starts. That would require an in game notification that lasts more than 3 seconds.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Hmm.. I've got maybe a dozen sigils so far but they are all tier 1. I'll just kill more stuff I guess.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

weird that people playing a game in a genre that focuses on optimization are actively optimizing their play patterns, concerning

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Givin posted:

The occultist can make sigils. I do not know what level that starts. That would require an in game notification that lasts more than 3 seconds.

You have to clear a tier 3 NM dungeon first I believe

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I ran half a dozen t1 nms and did a bunch of whisper stuff before I had a higher tier sigil drop. It was annoying!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Yeah I did 3-4 tier 1s and didn’t get any sigils then I did one where 4 higher tier sigils dropped. Sometimes I still don’t get a sigil from a dungeon but it evens out. I also don’t understand how regular dungeons can be efficient for leveling past like level 52. All the mobs stopped scaling and I get plowed in the t3 capstone still at level 55.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Why does the game pop up text labels onscreen for completely mundane poo poo like JARS .. CONTAINER. . Like, is this just a Diablo thing? I started noticing it last night and decided it's weird.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just went to a level appropriate dungeon and had no issues with it until the boss who was a brick wall of HP that would not ever get off my rear end.

Is this expected

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

DarkDobe posted:

I love that people are getting banned for the crime of *checks notes*:
Giving gold and or items to friends.

Excellent multiplayer game, blizz!

How's that happening?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

AcidCat posted:

Why does the game pop up text labels onscreen for completely mundane poo poo like JARS .. CONTAINER. . Like, is this just a Diablo thing? I started noticing it last night and decided it's weird.

Have you considered destroying them for their loot

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

You can tell these cowards never step foot in the pvp zones either which is the highest density elite and mob packs in the game. Awww, scared to lose your ears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55H0M2N-oA4&t=50s

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Have you considered destroying them for their loot

You mean spare change and maybe a health pot?

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

AcidCat posted:

A lot of the environment is destructible, so they specifically label the stuff that actually drops loot.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

I just went to a level appropriate dungeon and had no issues with it until the boss who was a brick wall of HP that would not ever get off my rear end.

Is this expected

Was the boss named the butcher?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

:agreed:

The shockwave aspect will not drop for me, seems much rarer than any other aspect.

I've had that aspect drop 3 times:

First one had a perfect roll, I imprinted it on a weapon then did the first capstone dungeon. I think I used the weapon for about an hour.
Second one had an 84% roll, it was used on the replacement weapon from level 50 to 60.
Third one had a 62% roll, it is currently on my new weapon I started using at 60.

Its frustrating that I feel like I pretty much wasted my good rolls.

I wish the aspect system was a catalog you imprint from. Extracting legendries just updates the roll amount to what you extracted. It would make the chase for perfect rolls more fun.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
E nevermind

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AcidCat posted:

This thread loving owns!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AcidCat posted:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Punkreas posted:

A lot of the environment is destructible, so they specifically label the stuff that actually drops loot.

I understand these things drop completely negligible 'loot' I just don't think it warrants a label popping up onscreen all the time informing me of JARS. Yes it's a completely microscopic nitpick I just thought it was odd.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i only play video games for the meta aspect these days so using several different build guides, following along with my favorite streamers, and optimizing runs to get the most reward out of the fewest clicks / least amount of player activity is the best way to play this game for me. i don't like having to take risks or plan things out on my own. that said, it's a pretty boring game and after clocking a couple hundred hours into it since it opened up in early access, i don't really see it having much of a lasting impact like D2. way to go Blizzailures.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ive been playing this game for 8 hours a day the past two weeks and the cracks are starting to show

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I play at a nice slow pace, I'll play until I kill 1 enemy and then stop for the day. No rush and I have so much to look forward to.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I wake up thinking about diablo and spend my entire day thinking about when I can do more nightmare dungeons and pvp. I read about farming strategies online at work until I can get home. I doordash every day so I can get back to finding legendaries and uniques to minmax my build. At the same time I can't help but feel like I didn't get my moneys worth, seems like a solid 6/10 game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AcidCat posted:

I understand these things drop completely negligible 'loot' I just don't think it warrants a label popping up onscreen all the time informing me of JARS. Yes it's a completely microscopic nitpick I just thought it was odd.

welcome to diablo

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

tmfc posted:

i only play video games for the meta aspect these days so using several different build guides, following along with my favorite streamers, and optimizing runs to get the most reward out of the fewest clicks / least amount of player activity is the best way to play this game for me. i don't like having to take risks or plan things out on my own. that said, it's a pretty boring game and after clocking a couple hundred hours into it since it opened up in early access, i don't really see it having much of a lasting impact like D2. way to go Blizzailures.

I do wonder if you see how these things interrelate.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

AcidCat posted:

They can drop all types of items. I don’t want to tell you how to play the video game, but skipping things that give you free loot is not very Diablo of you.

Ferrin
Sep 4, 2012

probably not
Has the black river weapon dropped for anyone in T3? I seem to get everything except black river.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Imagine how many legendary or unique items you've missed by not breaking those jars.

Just sad if you think about it.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Mayveena posted:

I do wonder if you see how these things interrelate.

It’s not a bad thing to want the actual gameplay to be more fun. Not everyone likes trying out builds nor do they have the time to pay for the respec/reitemization.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Maybe I just want to find the JARS on my own. Maybe I don't need all this hand-holding to find a bustable stump gad dangit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

wemgo posted:

Not everyone likes trying out builds nor do they have the time to pay for the respec/reitemization.
Agreed. Glad someone finally came out and said it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

wemgo posted:

It’s not a bad thing to want the actual gameplay to be more fun. Not everyone likes trying out builds nor do they have the time to pay for the respec/reitemization.

My brother in christ, trying out builds is the point of the game. You have the time to do it if you're playing the game. Plus respecs take literal seconds to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Ferrin posted:

Has the black river weapon dropped for anyone in T3? I seem to get everything except black river.

I got it in T3 at a 699 power level :fuckoff:. It was still glorious to use until my character croaked.