Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

can we just make multi-disk UHD DVDs? I don't mean HD-DVD I mean just slap a 4k output on the DVD player and fit as much of the movie as you can on each disk. I remember some ultra quality VHS tapes that you had to swap mid movie. god that sucked, but multi-disk CD players exist so I guess you just put in like a 4-5 disk rotator and let the machine do it's thing. (All to avoid paying Sony)

okay now I'm involving special playback devices this might not be profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

Because the old people buying tv shows on physical media only have DVD players.

The only people buying stuff on physical media now are collectors and they sure as poo poo have better equipment than a $20 DVD player.

Sony charges $0.11 a disc for blu-ray licensing. DVD licensing is like $0.025. I'll pay the extra 9 cents.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 13, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't care about the quality. I want the commentary tracks. Are those present? Cause if so, the box set is perfect. Jackson and Doc end up rewatching the entire series before they write each new season and the movie. The only copies they have are usually lovely promotional dvds. If this has the commentary, putting this on a dvd player plugged into an old crt is probably the closest we'll ever get to sitting in the room with them as they brainstorm the next release.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If I buy these, that's the niche I'm trying to hit. I can more easily pull up an HD version on my computer or TV faster than I can get something out of a box. But if these have the commentary, well, I have an old dvd player I'll hook up to a tv in the corner and just turn that on and enjoy it while I work. That's the gold, to me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

pixaal posted:

can we just make multi-disk UHD DVDs? I don't mean HD-DVD I mean just slap a 4k output on the DVD player and fit as much of the movie as you can on each disk. I remember some ultra quality VHS tapes that you had to swap mid movie. god that sucked, but multi-disk CD players exist so I guess you just put in like a 4-5 disk rotator and let the machine do it's thing. (All to avoid paying Sony)

okay now I'm involving special playback devices this might not be profitable.

my original copy of Fellowship was on 2 discs, plus 2 discs of extras

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Got my box set!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Amazon says “Including all the bonus materials that have been lovingly created over the years, and carefully curated for you now. Buy this box of history today!”

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Already on sale for $95.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll pick it up if it goes under 60

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I want Best Buy to get their poo poo together and start preorders (they just have a placeholder page with "Coming Soon" at present) because I've got a $5 credit with them that expires on 6/30. -_-

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Having worked there for a while, don’t hold your breath on that ever working correctly. I worked so many game releases that just got catastrophically hosed

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Disc 1 doesn't have the commentary. I only watched part of the first episode, and I can't remember if there even was commentary for that first one, so I'll have to compare it to the original. The aspect ratio is stretched, and whether or not you can fix that depends on your player or TV, so your kilometerage may differ.

I slid in Season 7, Disc 1, and the commentary is available. Aspect ratio is normal.

In both cases, the menu screens seem to be rips of the original DVD releases.

Because it was the longest season, I checked out Season 4, Disc 1. Audio commentary is present. Special features are there, but I have the DVD and BluRay, and I think they have different special feature complements. So, I can't say for sure whether anything was added or subtracted.

I'm guessing that this box set consists of direct rips of the DVD releases. If that proves to be true, then I'd only recommend buying it if you're a super-fan and want all iterations of the physical media for collection purposes, or if you just want DVD-quality versions of the show in one complete package for some reason, like to loan out to someone who has a player and is Venture-curious. Or, to keep in your cabin in the woods where internet speeds are either slow or non-existant.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I mostly grabbed it so I'd have commentaries because streaming services and pirate sites still haven't figured that out

Also that streaming services can just disappear shows

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah I mostly grabbed it so I'd have commentaries because streaming services and pirate sites still haven't figured that out

Also that streaming services can just disappear shows

There's :filez: with the commentary. Most episodes do not have commentary, it's probably a smaller post with just the commentary track episodes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
DVD Netflix was a godsend for whitest kids u know commentaries

And then wkuk just posted them all to YouTube like a month later (I wish more old shows would just do this)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Have any of you ripped just the commentary by chance? I'd like to have it on as a podcast. I get distracted seeing the video and wanting to just watch the ep when I try to watch it from DVD. And I don't have a DVD Drive in a computer anymore.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure Season 2 is when they have commentary for every episode. Season 1 only has maybe half the episodes with commentary.

At least on the DVDs that were released in the past.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Yeah I seem to remember at least one episode missing commentary in Season 1

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
They also released a "lost commentary" for Home Insecurity online some time between S1 and S2 which is, amazingly, still up: http://asitecalledfred.com/2006/06/23/quickcast-commentary-the-venture-bros/

e: Now that I re-found this I am 100% just listening to this at work.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 14, 2023

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Monarch mentions at one point his henchmen prefer to be called minions. This is most likely because, just like the minions from Despicable Me, they are yellow and wear goggles.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Here's a review of the set Google updates suggested, sounds like there isn't a lotta bells and whistles

https://paulsemel.com/the-venture-bros-the-complete-series-dvd-review/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Machai posted:

The Monarch mentions at one point his henchmen prefer to be called minions. This is most likely because, just like the minions from Despicable Me, they are yellow and wear goggles.

That line is from season 3 which came out in 2008. Despicable Me came out in 2010. Jackson and Doc would not debase themselves by riffing on something like Minions. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you love Venture Bros you should watch the Minions movies. I get why you wouldn't think so but they are actually pretty in line with Venture Bros humor to the point some Minionsheads think one or both wrote for it under a pseudonym, since most of the writers lead to IMDb pages with only that one movie.

If you don't believe me just spend the time watching the franchise, some of the more Venture Brosish jokes are only apparent on a second viewing mind you.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’It’s going to take a lot more than that to get me to voluntarily watch a minions movie much less watch it twice.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
No they're right, at some point on my third (or fourth?) rewatch of Minions: The Rise of Gru I noticed that the film's second act lined up almost beat-for-beat with Venture Bros. Season 7's arc. And the third act? Bet you money it's essentially Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Khanstant posted:

If you love Venture Bros you should watch the Minions movies.

:wrong:

but you should probably watch the Harley Quinn animated series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What I've seen of the Minions movies is actually pretty good. They're not exactly ambitious but Illumination does great physical gags, and there's the same self-awareness of genre conventions.

Also they did a better job at explaining why they didn't work for Hitler than some franchises do.

I do like the explanation as to why no one considers them particularly weird or notable is that they've been around since long before humanity and everyone is used to them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:wrong:

but you should probably watch the Harley Quinn animated series.

This thread got me watching Harley Quinn. Probably the best thing DC has created.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I keep forgetting to finish it but yeah probably the only Batman cartoon I've liked since the 90s one

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I keep forgetting to finish it but yeah probably the only Batman cartoon I've liked since the 90s one

Same here

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does Justice League count as a Batman cartoon?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm not really a fan of DC as a whole and I really love the Harley Quinn show. In my head it's a pretty good VB successor

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DC's animated offerings are actually pretty great all around, shout out Zeta Project.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

DC's animated offerings are actually pretty great all around, shout out Zeta Project.

I tried to watch that last year. I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not, because the animation was so ridiculously amateurish that I couldn't watch much.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I tried to watch that last year. I couldn't tell you if it was any good or not, because the animation was so ridiculously amateurish that I couldn't watch much.

It’s extremely 1999.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So, when the moppets are watching tv in home is where the hate is, that's an interesting conversation. They're talking about gassing someone, presumably the henchmen so the monarch won't suspect something? I assume it's foreshadowing for the limb plot which happened quite a bit later. Very cool

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Whilst watching a stolen copy of Nell, assuming it was a skin flick.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Something I noticed after watching Operation P.R.O.M. with my gf. The suit that hatred puts the Monarch in is Rusty’s best man suit from his wedding.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Harley Quinn is the lemon La Croix to Venture Bros state fair lemonade, but it’s definitely better than a lot of the alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's a fun show, but it's no Venture Bros. To be fair they're going for different things, but watching HQ I couldn't help but miss the emotional groundedness VB somehow manages to maintain despite all the craziness of their universe. HQ has a throwaway "gag" lightness that undercuts any stakes.