Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh he had a great drive, especially on short notice without much practice. It's not his fault the weapon broke, and that was pretty much the only reason they lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Final scorecards. Interesting Fon saw aggression differently, but generally all in agreement.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1661919350729887744

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Huge basically will never win Control in judging because of how they're set up. They're just incapable of pushing another bot with any sort of reliability. Copperhead kinda has similar issues in that regard, but as it's actually on the ground it can at least direct its weight properly..

On mention of it not facing 4 wheeled verts, it finally faced one in the finals and won. Really, any team who'd at least try something different like Sawblaze or Hypershock can basically even things up against Huge

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

On mention of it not facing 4 wheeled verts, it finally faced one in the finals and won. Really, any team who'd at least try something different like Sawblaze or Hypershock can basically even things up against Huge

I dunno. Sawblaze has the reach to actually hit Huge. Madcatter's harpoon thing was at least an attempt, as was Copperhead reversing their weapon. I was pretty disappointed that Witch Doctor didn't try anything at all, just "Let's see if we can break their weapon with our weapon. Nope. OK, let's see if we can break their weapon with our face. Nope."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I thought the kid did a fine job of driving riptide. If their appeal really included "our main rear end in a top hat wasn't driving" then they're no better than "on paper we should've won"

I'm happy it's Jamison go who figured out huge (besides horizontal spinners). He seems like a guy who really loves and is enthusiastic with everyone about analysing and picking apart matchups/strengths/weaknesses.

Both the teams in the final were great. Wasn't it one of sawblaze's team members who was crying over a win because he was so happy his system worked?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ilmucche posted:

I thought the kid did a fine job of driving riptide. If their appeal really included "our main rear end in a top hat wasn't driving" then they're no better than "on paper we should've won"

I'm happy it's Jamison go who figured out huge (besides horizontal spinners). He seems like a guy who really loves and is enthusiastic with everyone about analysing and picking apart matchups/strengths/weaknesses.

Both the teams in the final were great. Wasn't it one of sawblaze's team members who was crying over a win because he was so happy his system worked?

Yea, it was Jamison Go's team member crying that his contributions were working. He's also the builder of Droopy from NHRL. So he's all about the complex systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcKt9S3Kls

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If the season memoriam music sounded familiar, it's the same track used in the "Deliver Hope" ad for Halo Reach apparently lmao

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

My bracket ended up mostly in shambles but I picked the right winner for once! I'm so glad Sawblaze won, it's such a cool design that I knew had a ton of potential. It's basically a fast armored wall that can attack bots directly on top where they tend to be weaker, and that is such a big advantage.

Props to Huge as well, they've really improved their power/reliability. It's so nice seeing unusual bot designs manage to get so far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I always get the impression that Huge's giant floppy wheels make it difficult to steer and the best it can do is to vaguely point in the right direction and blunder forwards, if they were able to aim it better and make it move forwards and retreat precisely so they could accurately attack specific sections of their opponents it'd be a real monster. But of course that's the trade off in having nigh-indestructible giant wheels

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

PostNouveau posted:

Internet rumor mill is that Team Riptide openly poo poo on their new driver after the fight and even included "We would have won with Ethan driving" as part of their appeal.

Again, internet rumor so maybe not based in fact. If true, it makes it all the worse that they put a high schooler in a high-pressure situation like that. It was inappropriate; you have actual adults on the team who would be better equipped emotionally to deal with losing a fight they had to drive on short notice. I know teen drivers are somewhat common, but they've got time to prepare at least.

Here's a hot take: that kid was a better driver than Ethan and probably kept them in that fight after their weapon broke in a way that Ethan could not. Ethan is a terrible driver that was never challenged until that fight. As for the substitute, the team was low key throwing him under the bus in their post-fight interview, saying something like, "we had a tough time because we didn't have Ethan but Copperhead did a good job." They're already paving the way for their excuses, and still complaining about their weight tests and poo poo. gently caress off with that whole team (except for that kid, I guess). Also: lol at getting that appeal stuffed down their throats. What a bunch of graceless assholes.

I finally finished the whole ep. Echoing the sentiment that it was a great ep, probably the best one ever. Some truly classic bouts in there, and Minotaur v. Sawblaze is an instant classic that every team should be using to train their drivers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

As for the substitute, the team was low key throwing him under the bus in their post-fight interview, saying something like, "we had a tough time because we didn't have Ethan but Copperhead did a good job."

According to a blogger who was there, they interviewed Ethan on the iPad but it wasn't shown on TV:

https://battlebotsupdate.com/battlebots-s12-e19/ posted:

Chris and Kenny actually talked to Ethan after the fight and the one thing I remember Ethan saying was “we would have won if I were driving”.

quote:

I finally finished the whole ep. Echoing the sentiment that it was a great ep, probably the best one ever. Some truly classic bouts in there, and Minotaur v. Sawblaze is an instant classic that every team should be using to train their drivers.

Yeah, the whole fight card was great outside of WD-Huge.

Can't wait for the golden bolt tourney. I wonder when that's going to air.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 27, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I havent seen anyone really make that talking point from the team but it wouldn't have made a difference who drove, that beater was cooked and going to break no matter who was driving.

The only argument that might hold any water is it would have gotten swapped out for a fresh one if they had time due to dealing with all the other things but sometimes it be that way, the nature of events is you don't always have all the time you need.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's been a couple days and I'm still thinking about how great this season was. Lots of bots that didn't seem like they had a chance in the past did great this year. Shout out to Clawviper for going from almost a joke to very competitive. Too many to list but so many non-meta bots did so well this year.

Anyway I am very pleased.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I always get the impression that Huge's giant floppy wheels make it difficult to steer and the best it can do is to vaguely point in the right direction and blunder forwards, if they were able to aim it better and make it move forwards and retreat precisely so they could accurately attack specific sections of their opponents it'd be a real monster. But of course that's the trade off in having nigh-indestructible giant wheels

Huge definitely has gotten better at precision driving in this tourny compared to previous ones, i suspect both design and experience contributed to that.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thoughts

Great finale, probably best ever.

Riptide out - don't care how it happened, be humble and be a good example. Schticks are fine but you can tell they aren't playing well with others.

Looks like teams are gonna get away from ground game shenanigans simply because the floor is continually hosed.

The editors focusing on meta really throwing the game out is cool because they are clearly signalling, "give us some unique poo poo".

Would like to see some more face time with the judges next season. Seems weird that we never hear from them. And the Bot Wisperer disappeared?

Anyways, big robots go smash = cool.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
My take on the finals fight was... can't Huge spin their weapon both directions? I guess they'd need the correct type of bar to do that, but after hitting Sawblaze's plow once or twice I'd be thinking about an overhead attack.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rarbatrol posted:

My take on the finals fight was... can't Huge spin their weapon both directions? I guess they'd need the correct type of bar to do that, but after hitting Sawblaze's plow once or twice I'd be thinking about an overhead attack.

Don't they do that whenever they reverse directions?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

apatheticman posted:

Would like to see some more face time with the judges next season. Seems weird that we never hear from them. And the Bot Wisperer disappeared?

Would be cool to hear more from the judges during the fight. But also seems like it would cause controversies if it became clear some judges had some bias on their judging.

Not sure what's going on with the Bot Whisperer's lack of airtime on the show. There's a handful of videos with him from the season on the YouTube channel though, only one I've watched is this one with a breakdown of Blip's damage after Sawblaze. (Don't think the others are damage reports though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51akwv6Ew-g

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Tunicate posted:

Don't they do that whenever they reverse directions?

True, they do, but that changes how the entire thing drives and handles quite a bit from the looks of it. I want to say that earlier in the season they mention changing the weapon direction to downward for a specific fight?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure what's going on with the Bot Whisperer's lack of airtime on the show. There's a handful of videos with him from the season on the YouTube channel though, only one I've watched is this one with a breakdown of Blip's damage after Sawblaze. (Don't think the others are damage reports though).

Here's a great one where he interviews Claw Viper's builder/driver Kevin Milczewski and they talk about the bot's design, it's pretty crazy how much thought and planning went into just the magnets that hold it to the floor and allow it to drive so quickly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvR-62KPGco

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Finally caught up on the final episode. Incredibly happy to see two of my favourite teams in the finals, but a little sad that only one of them could finish off their incredible seasons with the win! Whoever won, it couldn't have been a more deserved championship. Unbelievable season all around, but Sawblaze and Huge were both absolutely perfect this year.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If Huge won, it's goofy eyes would be permanently on a one of those banners and wouldve been hilarious

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The banners show the winner from above though.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I think it might be nice to have a rule where you can't modify your 'bot to face this opponent or that opponent. You have to plan for the whole field in your one design. Bring spare parts and spare frames, but they have to be direct replacements.

It would lead to teams being very secretive and innovative, and the "reveal" of the bots would be fun and lead to speculation about why this feature or that.

Great to see Sawblaze win, those guys aways seemed really skilled, good sports, and always competitive.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Adapting is part of the sport though. Your idea would save teams like beta from themselves I guess

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
I remember hearing that Huge went with a lighter weapon to tack on some more armor. I wonder if they'll give the heavier blade a go next time they get a chance to fight them, and if that'll make any difference.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I want HUGE to keep a relatively traditional vert spinner configuration in their back pocket, and then have someone running a bike rack looking absolutely gobsmacked when they wasted all that extra weight just to fight a normal bot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oh jay posted:

I want HUGE to keep a relatively traditional vert spinner configuration in their back pocket, and then have someone running a bike rack looking absolutely gobsmacked when they wasted all that extra weight just to fight a normal bot.

It's be pretty funny if they wheeled it out one time and it had tiny little 10" wheels and a massive eggbeater spinner

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think claw viper has the right idea. Be super fast and maneuverable. I think if they had a real weapon they would have gone a lot farther. I dunno if it would have worked as good though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looks like Ray Billings is going to NHRL this month (June 24 & 25).

Put up a video of at least 1 bot he's bringing (not sure if he's bringing more than 1, but seems to be what the big builders do). Also classic Ray being unsafe spinning up a spinner within feet of himself and the camera guy :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SwCdYmZ7ms

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Destrucathon got an extension and running through September. Although with the F1 race setup, they were either shooting for the summer to film season 8 or early 2024. Not sure if that's changed and they will be able to get season 8 filmed in October. Koval Ln is supposed to get the final repave in August, and should be open in october, but not sure how F1 setups work.

https://twitter.com/TheVoxAgency/status/1667200683496419330

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Every year, a couple teams mention how little opportunity they get to actually drive their bots with active weapons.

Who's driving the Destructothon bots?

What's the chances that next season we have a crop of drivers with as much arena time as the most veteran of current drivers?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They said that some Vegas personalities are pretending to drive, but they have an actual staff driver off to the side.

Sooooo you might be right

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Team Hypershock has a nice FAQ on Destructathon.

quote:

WHO DRIVES THE ROBOTS AT DESTRUCT-A-THON?

So far it has been a mix of visiting builders and Trey. At one point there were discussions about teaching the ambassadors to drive the robots, but I think that’s been shelved. It’s much easier to have a rotating team of a few expert drivers. Veteran builders attending the show can probably convince Trey to let them drive a showbot.

(Trey is 1 of the 2 creators of the show, and the old guy with the crowbar & fire extinguisher when needed.)

https://hypershock.tv/blogs/inside-the-bot/dat-faq

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I wonder how much help that would really be, anyway. These are very different bots, designed to fit within a budget and be easily repaired. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were a little nerfed or tuned down to provide more of a show. A Battlebots tournament Witch Doctor would probably wipe the floor with a Destructathon Witch Doctor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

El Fideo posted:

I wonder how much help that would really be, anyway. These are very different bots, designed to fit within a budget and be easily repaired. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were a little nerfed or tuned down to provide more of a show. A Battlebots tournament Witch Doctor would probably wipe the floor with a Destructathon Witch Doctor.

Anytime being able to drive bots around is going to be good experience, even with a slightly different bot.

Although the one caveat to the Battlebot tournament bot vs a Destructathon bot is that the Destrucathon bots don't have the 250lb weight restriction. Although I'm sure they are probably still close, they might have some better parts and armor on them. I would imagine at least that the batteries would get extra protection to prevent a battery fire during the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned Team Malice raises enough money (or are wealthy and just love the sport enough) to sponsor other teams, including Banshee, Madcatter and Manta, which is an applicant a lot of the builders seem to want to see in the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgTIK-oAV-M&t=2246s

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
That's insane, and very worrying. If they stop doing that half the field wouldn't be able to turn up. I wonder how they're able to do that?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

That's insane, and very worrying. If they stop doing that half the field wouldn't be able to turn up. I wonder how they're able to do that?

I'd be curious on the full details of it as well. But at the very least, Bunny from Team Malice is listed as working for Send Cut Send. A company that does custom on demand fabrication. I think just about all the smaller American teams on the Battlebots website list them as a sponsor, although I assume many might just be getting a nice discount instead of free stuff cut. SendCutSend has also been a prominent sponsor at NHRL events also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Does Whyachi make money on the parts they sell to other teams, or are they supporting the community at a loss?