Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
VOLCANO ROBOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Vaati has an analysis of the demo up.

Looks like we're getting both a soft FCS lock and also a souls like lock on.

In fact, there's alot more souls in this than I expected. Looks absolutely sick

https://youtu.be/nUTPLucLU5I

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God this looks sick as hell, the robit zipping in swinging the sword or doing the kick is so cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

yeah this is every thing I like with Souls and everything I like with Armored Core, from soft stay winning

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

Holy poo poo that combat looks like Bloodborne with verticality.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I love the kick animations. Just yeeting staggered enemies.

Apparently you can access the garage if you die after a checkpoint without restarting the mission.

Melee attacks are just pure souls

Decon posted:

Holy poo poo that combat looks like Bloodborne with verticality.

Holy poo poo I couldn't put my finger on it but you're right. It seems to really reward aggression.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the bullet hell aspect looks like it's going to be extremely fun on top of everything else

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

I love the kick animations. Just yeeting staggered enemies.

Apparently you can access the garage if you die after a checkpoint without restarting the mission.

Melee attacks are just pure souls

Holy poo poo I couldn't put my finger on it but you're right. It seems to really reward aggression.

Yeah definitely seems like you're rewarded for just jamming your guns and swords down enemy mechs' throats.

I'm hoping that, sticking with the AC lineage, there's room for the "you'll die before you reach me" gameplay style of the sniper/missile barrage build that was viable in old AC games. And, well, given how strong magic was in Elden Ring, I think they'll have it handled, but time will tell.

Also curious to see how they handle the ol' lumbering tank style.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just hope the pilebunker is as satisfying as it has been in the past. Seeing enemy mechs die in a single punch was so goddamn good in 4/4A

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Decon posted:

Yeah definitely seems like you're rewarded for just jamming your guns and swords down enemy mechs' throats.

Yep, that's Armored Core alright

quote:

I'm hoping that, sticking with the AC lineage, there's room for the "you'll die before you reach me" gameplay style of the sniper/missile barrage build that was viable in old AC games. And, well, given how strong magic was in Elden Ring, I think they'll have it handled, but time will tell.

Also curious to see how they handle the ol' lumbering tank style.

They showed a tank running over something to kill it so I think our tanks are going to be just fine

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep, that's Armored Core alright

Agreed, but I think the distinction from my memories of 3/4 is that you're more explicitly cued and rewarded for tight play in a way that From really refined with, imo, Sekiro and Bloodborne.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Shields?!? It IS a soulslike!

Everything about that video was great and I am hype af.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It’s souls-like because it has dodging and giant bosses…but AC has always had that, if anything Dark Souls is the AC-like of fantasy games. :psyduck:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 14, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thundercracker posted:

Is it fair to say AC6 will be closer to the Soulsborne games than the series has been in the past?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Vaati thinks everything is souls, he’s got a brain disease

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fun fact: Armored Core had shields since AC2

One of the games they're bugged and some of them make you take extra damage lol

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I know it wont but I wish it would have Co-op

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This game looks loving cool

It also doesn't look anything like Bloodborne, what the hell

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

i could see a comparison being made between the lateral dashes here and the quickstep dance of BB

i think that's what people mean, that it encourages aggression and close weaving movement even if you aren't anime dodging straight through enemies

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that said, it's good game design, FROM design, and that's all it needs to be

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

this looks insane

I want to check out some of the previous AC games but lol at paying what they’re going for on ebay. really stoked to see fromsoft do sci-fi

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Like BeanpolePeckerwood said, I see it in the lateral dashes and quickstep dance. It very much looks like AC first and foremost (the jump, fly, dash left, dash right, close gap pattern when fighting smaller enemies is exactly how I played AC4), I just see some lessons learned from BB at play in AC6 and I think that's a good thing (I generally think BB was a pivot point for From's game design in a good way). It looks, to me, like this one might have more emphasis on reading and responding to enemy cues, but also it's been like a decade and a half since I played AC4.

AC has rewarded aggression as long as I've played it, but AC6 just seems like it encourages a tighter playstyle than I remember.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

this looks insane

I want to check out some of the previous AC games but lol at paying what they’re going for on ebay. really stoked to see fromsoft do sci-fi

If you have a PS3 you can still buy AC1 or AC Verdict Day through the store both for cheap, though they might not be the best entry points atm to the gameplay 2 months before this drops.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah, I don't really see Souls DNA in this as much as I see design lessons learned by laboring in action game development over the last decade, BB and Sekiro chief among them.

the creative root of it all goes back a decade before Demon's Souls even existed but the confident flow of what we're seeing comes from a group of people who slaved away in the most recent decade making 2 of the best action games in history rather than the more wait and see approach of their dark fantasy rpgs.

any way you slice it ACVI is simply looking phenomenal. 2023 is truly goated

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Holy poo poo, that footage looked amazing. This game is going to be rule and utterly ruin my rear end trying to play it.

The only thing that worries me is the idea of all four weapons being tied to the trigger and shoulder buttons on the controller. A nifty idea for being able to shoot everything at once in a hail of :blastu:, but not being able to use the shoulder buttons for strafing seems a little... uhhh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AC6 is straying too far from its roots. If I can't use the triggers to badly look up and down am I really playing Armored Core? No. 0/10

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

this looks insane

At this point, given their general lack of accessibility through legitimate means, your only viable option for playing the PS1-PS2 Armored Cores at this point is probably emulation and :filez:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think I am going to die if I see another preview say that stability is a system taken from Sekiro.

nine-gear crow posted:

Holy poo poo, that footage looked amazing. This game is going to be rule and utterly ruin my rear end trying to play it.

The only thing that worries me is the idea of all four weapons being tied to the trigger and shoulder buttons on the controller. A nifty idea for being able to shoot everything at once in a hail of :blastu:, but not being able to use the shoulder buttons for strafing seems a little... uhhh

The preview video made it look like the camera locks onto enemies now so you probably don't need strafing buttons anymore.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

AC6 is straying too far from its roots. If I can't use the triggers to badly look up and down am I really playing Armored Core? No. 0/10

I genuinely hope the controls are as unintuitive as possible. More excited about this game than I probably should be

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgY-kTPY3Q

It's fun to see everyone else go "what the gently caress is this" to that stupid vertical platformer segment in AC1 that I got stuck in for like an hour and a half

turn off the TV posted:

I think I am going to die if I see another preview say that stability is a system taken from Sekiro.

The preview video made it look like the camera locks onto enemies now so you probably don't need strafing buttons anymore.

Jokes aside I really hope there's FCS systems again that can control how well this works

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Looks incredible hol gently caress

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
ugh if there's a lock on system that turns the camera for you does that mean there won't be lock-on disrupting gizmos anymore? i loved those for pvp

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

RBA Starblade posted:

It's fun to see everyone else go "what the gently caress is this" to that stupid vertical platformer segment in AC1 that I got stuck in for like an hour and a half

it seriously feels like they just forgot what sort of game they were making up to that point

Did anyone even fight Nineball there? I just ran past them

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Rockstar Massacre posted:

ugh if there's a lock on system that turns the camera for you does that mean there won't be lock-on disrupting gizmos anymore? i loved those for pvp

There is an expansion slot available that had nothing in it during the demonstration media and influencers saw. I wouldn’t be surprised if a radar/lock-on jammer could go there. Or something that replaces the scanner ping with a “break lock-on” ping.

A little sad to see the number of build slots decreased, but it’s probably for the best.

The only thing that seems Souls inspired are the repair kits. So many games these days put primary actions on shoulder buttons. Boss design seems indirectly souls inspired. In a “we now have the experience and understanding to make interesting boss fights that aren’t just other ACs or basically slowly moving buildings with lots of guns” kind of way.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rasamune posted:

it seriously feels like they just forgot what sort of game they were making up to that point

Did anyone even fight Nineball there? I just ran past them

I recently replayed the whole series on my Deck, and boy that fight sucked, ended going all energy weapons because he and him are to nimble for anything else.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
nice, I’m so glad they added souls targeting while keeping the soft lock FCS at the same time. seems like the wisest choice to maintain that armored core DNA, while having the ability for the more modern lock on style

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Too fast. Wanted slow gen 3.5 and below armored core. Purchasing day one.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
there are estus flasks and bonfires

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I think people aren't aware that the lock on system in for answer IS the souls camera lock on it's just alot less strong, it will auto center your camera on the next enemy dark souls style if you press the button. edit: obviously the stronger lock on option is new, but it's not like something that is alien to the series.

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RBA Starblade posted:

Jokes aside I really hope there's FCS systems again that can control how well this works

FCS is one of the parts categories and it wouldn't really surprise me if influences how the camera tracking works.