Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I... don't see a resemblance? The shape of their face is, broadly speaking, the same, but like, nothing else is? At all? Can you explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
they've got the same haircut :haw:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
They both feel useless without a sword in their hand.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Poe wrote on both

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

I... don't see a resemblance? The shape of their face is, broadly speaking, the same, but like, nothing else is? At all? Can you explain?

There's a person with short white hair that's been buzzed on the sides. They're wearing beige robes. They are utterly focused on Defeating Their Opponent. Of who am I speaking?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kim Byeong-Ok! Love that dude

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I would have simply dodged the slice

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's a person with short white hair that's been buzzed on the sides. They're wearing beige robes. They are utterly focused on Defeating Their Opponent. Of who am I speaking?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

habeasdorkus posted:

I get the sense that this is one of those tests that you don't give to a student unless you're very sure they'll pass it. First solo flight as a pilot, first solo skydive, the type of things where if they aren't ready for it it'll kill them. Baby birds gotta learn to fly.

IIRC Maya was listed as "antagonist" and not "villain" - but I could be misremembering.

I think it's less "sure she'll pass" and more "sink or swim". If at this point Allison can't survive being bisected by the maybe sword, what's the point in training her?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

(accidentaly stabs entire six hand lengths sword into my torso & leg with 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Maya’s pulling the exact thing Incubus did where he decided she’d failed when she had the mindbreak at Cio’s death and tried to dice her. They’re both very much wrapped up in how Meti taught them and how they internalised the sword lessons: Incubus and Maya both ultimately fall back into Cutting because it’s their paradigm.

Even while Maya’s explaining sword poisoning and abandoning the maybe sword, she’s falling into the trap where the core of the universe is Cutting - being able to Cut all not, deciding if it’s worth using or abandoning, the philosophy etc. all still centre it. Maya putting the sword aside to raise a family is still her making a life choice centred on using/not using the sword first.

Imo Allison can’t win with More Cutting, and it’s not throwing out the sword just because it won’t work, she needs to go beyond that paradigm. She needs to transcend the idea that swords and cutting even matter at all.

She needs to make Jagganoth a frappucino.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
if she kills allison: new cool master key

if allison lives: congrats you have passed the training

this is a win-win

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I kind of hope Allison’s response here is to use something she learned from Incubus: Act, don’t wait or stall or ponder in the face of someone else you hate getting everything they want for the world. Maya watched Incubus wreck Creation for literal centuries and still can’t prioritize doing something about Jagganoth over winning an argument with Allison. And yes, I use winning advisedly.

One thing you can say about Incubus is that when he sees what he thinks is good, he takes action. Immediate horrible murderous action.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

if only he thought baths were good

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
He regularly bathes in blood

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
You think she could trick him to jump in some diet Mountain Dew Code Red? He'd...probably smell better.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 14, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

thechosenone posted:

You think she could trick him to jump in some diet Mountain Dew Code Red? He'd...probably smell better.

that was yabalchoath's first go at stealing a key and didn't quite take

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I should realized he'd be the one between the two who could tell the difference between regular and sugar free due to his time dumpster diving: Meti only drank Old Milwaukee cut with horse piss, and Maya probably thought Tab was good given what she thought of swords.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I am really hoping she stiches back together and loudly makes it clear that she will always have a choice. She will drat's well make sure from now on.

Even if I'm not sure if that's the right mood for the scene or the desired answer overall.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm pretty sure she's not actually cut in half judging by the last panel. There's a lot of ways this particular moment could go but I really don't think Maya hauling off and attempting to murder her for giving the wrong answer is the intent here because it wouldn't make any sense at all

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think she was and she's dead. Good ending everybody

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's not over yet, just Allison's story, we still need to answer the truly important questions like can Zaid skate on the Maybe Sword.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I, for one, applaud operant for swapping to a tony hawk lp 6/7ths of the way through the comic

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
if anything Zaid is the reverse Tony Hawk because randos keep confusing him for the real thing

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I meant not that I'm making the astounding deduction that Allison is going to survive this but that just straight up killing her isn't the intent

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Watching Zaid perform a frontside 270 backside tailslide kickflip to fakie on a sword to achieve royalty would be magical.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
But what about the basket ball? :ohdear:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Glagha posted:

I'm pretty sure she's not actually cut in half judging by the last panel. There's a lot of ways this particular moment could go but I really don't think Maya hauling off and attempting to murder her for giving the wrong answer is the intent here because it wouldn't make any sense at all

When Maya asked what Allison thinks of death, Allison said she doesn't really think about death at all. So Maya kills her to force her to think about it. It makes a lot of sense from the perspective that Maya is very obsessed with that question and also not very nice.

What Maya hasn't yet realized is that what she cut in half is an after image and the real Allison is standing right behind her.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Eric Sparrow is worse than Incubus

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I suppose either this will result in Allison realizing the person in front of her almost cut her in half to prove a point and things derailing from there, or Allison having already expected this much and just considering it an example of poor humor.

I mean she apparently did everything the others did, just marginally shorter and smaller versions thereof, and started a family only because her mentor told her to (which honestly isn't the worst reason but it isn't usually how you decide to plan your family). If she and Zoss weren't able to beat there heads against this before the Universal War to begin with, Allison is going to probably make most of the pieces herself, only taking a few key points from those two, and a point on what not to from the other demiurges.

As for the comic itself, it seems pretty clear why this won't work. If he can just will himself back together it's pointless beyond him probably not being as coordinated if he's been Buggy the Clown'ed despite that being not a so far in the comic and explicitly not a thing for someone who is invincible (though when you think it if this is all meant to relate to life on Earth, perhaps he is more invincible 'in all respects you care about at the moment'? Jadis doesn't seem like the type to answer straightforwardly (given she is technically following a script, which is about as perfectly random as it gets if you think for a second the fact that either Yisun or nobody wrote it).

edit: Don't mind me I've taken to posting word salad to force myself to communicate instead of endlessly deleting messages.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 14, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Thyrork posted:

But what about the basket ball? :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1668705013722677248

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

YaketySass posted:

if anything Zaid is the reverse Tony Hawk because randos keep confusing him for the real thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYXMDmyd4g

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I just feel like a bunch of people read the Maya is labeled an antagonist thing and are trying to jump the gun and read a bunch of motivations into this whole training arc that hasn't really been shown at any point. Like it's definitely a possibility that this is the moment Allison realizes she might not want someone like Maya as a mentor and maybe she's trying to guide her down a bad path I just think the logical leap from Maya appearing to cut Allison in half with an invisible sword to "she's just like Incubus and killing her because she's not doing what she wants" or something doesn't really follow the comic so far and is more short cutting to an assumed end point where she's an enemy to overcome. Especially with the last panel being the red fading away as if she's slowly realizing death isn't coming I feel like it's far more likely that this is an intentionally non-fatal blow. But I guess the glowing key could be her I dunno, shrugging it off, defying death? I guess I'll know Friday

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I mean Maya technically was an antagonist when she was one of the Pursuers, at least in appearance. It would just be a repeat of something we've already seen if she became one again.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Demilich posted:

(accidentaly stabs entire six hand lengths sword into my torso & leg with 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]

my master cuts me in half with the maybe sword and asks me if i have a choice. i simply choose not to die. everyone in throne groans at my bullshit

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zoss spins the wheel back 10 seconds and calls Maya an idiot

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Zoss spins the wheel back 10 seconds and calls Maya an idiot

I'm hoping it's al-yisun that does this, and the lesson she learns is that she can do this, not that she needs to use the fires of creation like a particularly sharp rock.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
I mean, she already lost an arm and a leg and still walks around just fine. Why would losing the other leg/torso chunk slow her down any more?

A few more lessons like this, and we can look forward to the final book being Jagganoth getting punked by a rude invisible barista.

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 14, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Glagha posted:

But I guess the glowing key could be her I dunno, shrugging it off, defying death?

i agree with the rest of this post but i immediately assumed the glow was exactly that, her manifesting "no, that isn't happening and i will not be bisected right now thank you very much" (as maya literally encourages her to, saying she has to choose whether she's alive or dead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Brain Candy posted:

I'm hoping it's al-yisun that does this, and the lesson she learns is that she can do this, not that she needs to use the fires of creation like a particularly sharp rock.

I do kind of wonder if that's not what the bottom row of panels is showing.