Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kaldaris posted:

I feel like fully over half the aspects for my class (rogue) are almost completely worthless.

Then I looked at the aspects for the other classes. Why are so many of them so bad? There's far too many utility aspects in a game about pushing damage numbers, and far too many aspects that do next to nothing. The offensive aspects in particular are very disappointing for so many classes.

You're not wrong.
At least half the aspects for each class are trash, or so boringly generic it almost hurts to include them because they are still functional. Things like 'dealing damage increases your armor' - extremely unexciting, but a solid pick.
You have maybe 5-10 'viable' aspects, but then need to fit them across the 6 pieces of gear that will accept them (jewelry, gloves, weapons) for offence - while still trying to plug in a few defensive ones if needed.
Then you get to try and pick the ones that actually suit your build and that narrows down your actual 'choice' to maybe 4, with 2 of them being 'must haves'.

Like, looking at a sorc: 2-3 of your aspects are almost ALWAYS going to be dedicated to your main damage thing i.e. ice shards penetrate + treat enemies as frozen while barriered + avalanche procs twice
Then you probably are going to run 'damage to CCd enemies' (our best generic aspect), damage while barriered (our second best), and ideally 'damage to unstoppable' (amazing - but drop only, not codex)
That's 6 pretty much 'best in slot' options right there, and using anything else for your ice build is going to be a downgrade.

For lightning, my 3 'mandatory' ones are 'static bolts penetrate' unique staff + static bolts home in on amulet (because you NEED that +50% efficacy)+ Raiment of the infinite is almost mandatory (another unique).
You can guess which other three aspects I'm running from reading above.
This build only works because of the unique staff. Chain lightning doesn't even come close to the amount of power afforded by static bolts staff.

If I wanted to run fire, I would have to invest huge amounts in raising Lucky Hit, while also digging into crit/damage for meteors and/or dots with firewall - they're the only two really viable fire skills. Fireball is terrible by comparison.

It's this frustrating mixture of builds being 'defined' by certain uniques - or at the very least corralled in a direction, mixed with the weirdly finicky itemization choices:
I can roll + static damage AND + lightning damage and +lightning critical damage - neat! Super nice! Worthless for any other spec.
I'm heavily invested in damage to stunned enemies - it rolls high, and I have a steady supply of stun - but its worthless for any other spec.
The same can be said of 'damage to frozen'.

If I want to switch specs I have to also have alternative gear in almost every single slot - the 'generic' choices like 'damage to crowd controlled', crit rate and crit damage aren't prevalent enough (for me, on my gear, yet) - to be able to swap, and the builds REALLY want you to focus on their specific debuffs/interactions in any case.

The only 'universal' buff that most sorcs are going to benefit from is 'X to Burning enemies' which itself is kind of telling: firebolt enchantment to make all of your attacks burn is one of the best, if not the best choice overall since it unlocks so many of our good damage talents.

I get they said they want people to reroll characters instead of respeccing but they've almost made it a reality - It's a high bar to swap from one element to another. Maybe other classes have it easier? I certainly hope so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Was watching Kripp talk about D4... was he saying that 100% Damage Reduction isn't actually "take no damage" or was I musunderstanding?

Also he was saying they're going to start a season next month? No loving way am I doing these fetch quests again.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Have they ever talked about bringing Set quality gear back? I miss seeing greens drop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaldaris posted:

I feel like fully over half the aspects for my class (rogue) are almost completely worthless.

Then I looked at the aspects for the other classes. Why are so many of them so bad? There's far too many utility aspects in a game about pushing damage numbers, and far too many aspects that do next to nothing. The offensive aspects in particular are very disappointing for so many classes.

So the seasons can make those the good ones temporarily.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Aphrodite posted:

So the seasons can make those the good ones temporarily.

I hate that you are probably right about this.

SettingSun posted:

Have they ever talked about bringing Set quality gear back? I miss seeing greens drop.

I'm pretty sure they said they disliked sets because it funneled people into certain builds too much e.g. you had a choice of 3-sets and anything not-set was pretty terrible by comparison.
They DID fix this with certain items that rewarded you for using non-set pieces in D3 - but I'm not sure that 'free range build' was ever quite as viable as the best sets?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

DarkDobe posted:

I'm pretty sure they said they disliked sets because it funneled people into certain builds too much e.g. you had a choice of 3-sets and anything not-set was pretty terrible by comparison.

Kaldaris posted:

And what was the point of removing gear sets if the aspects are going to try to pigeonhole you into a build anyways based on the level of support certain core abilities get over others?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Aspects seem fine to me. I’m constantly having to decide which ones I want to put on my limited gear slots and which ones I can possibly live without.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Found an incredible 2h weapon upgrade for the first time in days. Max upgraded it and threw on one of my max roll aspects. Then promptly salvaged it instead of my old weapon by mistake. Whoops.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Sets are just badasses until Runewords come around.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

They DID fix this with certain items that rewarded you for using non-set pieces in D3 - but I'm not sure that 'free range build' was ever quite as viable as the best sets?

LoD builds, the no set stuff, was frequently S tier across seasons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DarkDobe posted:

Those are called Legacy of Dreams builds in D3, and many of them are still best in class to this day. Firebell Monk and Corpse Explode Necro in particular, although Energy Twister and Meteor Wiz are also GR150 soloable this season.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ferrin posted:

Has the black river weapon dropped for anyone in T3? I seem to get everything except black river.

It took a while but I got one. It whips rear end. Took my corpse explosion to another level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the store the same for everyone?

It seems to be the exact items as before reset, did they only actually make 4 per class? Going to be hard to tempt anyone if these ugly designs are all they have.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I don’t miss having to wait every 20 seconds for Convention of Elements to loop around to my damage type.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

rally posted:

Found an incredible 2h weapon upgrade for the first time in days. Max upgraded it and threw on one of my max roll aspects. Then promptly salvaged it instead of my old weapon by mistake. Whoops.

I did this ages ago with an upgrade on my sorc and I'm still a bit salty about it. I wouldn't put it past me to do it again, too.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don’t miss having to wait every 20 seconds for Convention of Elements to loop around to my damage type.

Yeah that’s absolutely the worst designed thing in D3 and they should never bring it back

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Death Trap Rogue is bonkers. I switched from Poison Flurry to this and have been annihilating large packs. There's a bit of a learning curve in learning when to Dash out, keeping an eye on resources plus when Death Trap is ready, etc., but getting to spam an ultimate is amazing. If they nerf CD reduction more it's probably unusable, but until then I'll be creating black holes to succ demons.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I asked this before but am still wondering, for druids, is two handed just the best choice in general because of the increased damage? It seems like going one handed plus totem tends to average out to similar damage and you can get cdr and spirit cost reduction on the totems. I'm not entirely sure which would be preferable tbh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DarkDobe posted:

I get they said they want people to reroll characters instead of respeccing but they've almost made it a reality - It's a high bar to swap from one element to another. Maybe other classes have it easier? I certainly hope so!

I recall them saying that it would be better off re-rolling because the cost to Respec was so great (a statement which they later backpedaled from and said no it won't be prohibitively expensive).

But I do agree that it certainly feels easier to just re-roll than trying to experiment with builds on a single character. Aspect Storage is so limited, gear storage in general is, and there's no way to Search through all your poo poo. So I rolled up a second Druid to experiment with stuff while keeping the main where he is, because it's a huge pain in the rear end to maintain 2 sets of gear and consuming Aspects as a resource makes it even harder to "go back" if your new build sucks.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

BurningBeard posted:

I asked this before but am still wondering, for druids, is two handed just the best choice in general because of the increased damage? It seems like going one handed plus totem tends to average out to similar damage and you can get cdr and spirit cost reduction on the totems. I'm not entirely sure which would be preferable tbh.

depends on the build. lightning druid needs all the spirit cost reduction so you'd definitely go 1h + totem.
meanwhile most pulverize druids i've seen were using big rear end staves

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

I recall them saying that it would be better off re-rolling because the cost to Respec was so great (a statement which they later backpedaled from and said no it won't be prohibitively expensive).

But I do agree that it certainly feels easier to just re-roll than trying to experiment with builds on a single character. Aspect Storage is so limited, gear storage in general is, and there's no way to Search through all your poo poo. So I rolled up a second Druid to experiment with stuff while keeping the main where he is, because it's a huge pain in the rear end to maintain 2 sets of gear and consuming Aspects as a resource makes it even harder to "go back" if your new build sucks.

Yeah as far as I can tell, at least for necro, there's not much build defining stuff in the paragon. So getting your character up to 50 for all the skill points is good enough, which was pretty fast compared to leveling after that point.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

depends on the build. lightning druid needs all the spirit cost reduction so you'd definitely go 1h + totem.
meanwhile most pulverize druids i've seen were using big rear end staves

Yeah I'm more lightning oriented atm and that seemed better. Got that D3 two handed supremacy habit baked in. Lol

Using storm strike kinda sucks. It's best for spirit generation but having to dip into melee, while sometimes fun because of the flow, really blows when things get hectic. I also have ravens but that's mostly a dead button, high damage aside because it doesn't really have much synergy with everything else. People seem to be going for earth spike for the generator, but am not sure about replacing ravens. I imagine hurricane is probably the best call since having an ultimate is just another excruciating cooldown to manage.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 14, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally finished the story. Thought I could jump to T3 like in Diablo 3...but found out about Capstone Dungeons, which has been the most unfun experience I've had in a video game in months. Absolutely grueling and unnecessary addition to the game. Just let me jump Tiers like I could before...what's the point of this weird, artificial gating?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The T2 capstone is just another dungeon? I didn’t see what made it so special over any other dungeon in the game, aside from those annoying teleporting guys that daze you when they warp

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LifeLynx posted:

Death Trap Rogue is bonkers. I switched from Poison Flurry to this and have been annihilating large packs. There's a bit of a learning curve in learning when to Dash out, keeping an eye on resources plus when Death Trap is ready, etc., but getting to spam an ultimate is amazing. If they nerf CD reduction more it's probably unusable, but until then I'll be creating black holes to succ demons.

I'm doing poison flurry myself but I think I'll switch to this. I don't have all the gear for it yet but it sounds better than penetrating shot for pushing NM tiers

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Devorum posted:

Finally finished the story. Thought I could jump to T3 like in Diablo 3...but found out about Capstone Dungeons, which has been the most unfun experience I've had in a video game in months. Absolutely grueling and unnecessary addition to the game. Just let me jump Tiers like I could before...what's the point of this weird, artificial gating?

the point is to let you know you're not ready for the next tier. skill issue

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Devorum posted:

The capstone is a test to make sure you can actually survive and kill stuff in the next tier, because it has a minimum level (50 for 3, 70 for 4). If you're getting wrecked it's because you will not survive in tier 3

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

CharlestonJew posted:

The T2 capstone is just another dungeon? I didn’t see what made it so special over any other dungeon in the game, aside from those annoying teleporting guys that daze you when they warp

It was the first time I was unable to just facetank everything on my barbarian without thinking at all about dodging or mechanics. Died on the first try to the capstone boss but that was my first ever death.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Devorum posted:

What's so wrong with it? I'm still dicking around in tier 1.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I died a few times to the capstone boss before I unfucked my gear and started playing more carefully. If you can't beat that dungeon yet, you won't be able to do much of anything in WT3.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Is the store the same for everyone?

It seems to be the exact items as before reset, did they only actually make 4 per class? Going to be hard to tempt anyone if these ugly designs are all they have.

It's the same for everyone. I swear that they originally said something about it being like, tailored to you specifically or something. Maybe that's in the future when they have a lot more offerings, but either way it's just some fomo bullshit, which isn't even working very well since there's not enough stuff to worry about them not bringing it back for 6mo etc.

I think there's some decent sets in the store but for the most part they don't strike me as overly better than the in-game stuff. In fact some of the sets are like, less "ripped/destroyed" versions of in-game pieces with a few other tweaks.

Personally I would have been willing to buy a few sets by now if they were usable on more than one class.

I reckon by next summer is when the bikini sets will be in the store to get all the coomer cash.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spending the $$$ to fully upgrade your loot at the blacksmith is usually enough to push you over the top if you want to quickly beat the capstone.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

What's so wrong with it? I'm still dicking around in tier 1.

It's pretty hosed up the game about killing demons makes you kill some demons before you can kill some more demons

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's a single dungeon. That's all the capstones, and thus the only barrier to t3 and 4, are.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

The capstone is a test to make sure you can actually survive and kill stuff in the next tier, because it has a minimum level (50 for 3, 70 for 4). If you're getting wrecked it's because you will not survive in tier 3

Yeah, let me figure that out in Tier 3. I'm an adult, I don't need to take a test. I'd much rather jump a tier, get wrecked, and drop back than fight my way through a dungeon full of annoying teleporting enemies to get to a boss and discover I can't beat him.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I still can’t even begin to gently caress with the wt3 capstone dungeon at level 58. I can do a tier 15 nightmare but get plastered in the capstone. Maybe if I hadn’t salvaged that disgustingly good upgrade weapon lol.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
We already have a cool codex to collect the aspects from dungeons.

Can we add a 2nd "pip" or something that we can use to extract an aspect from an item to add to the codex? Then instead of getting a 2% higher roll on an aspect, shrugging, and dismantling it, I could extract it into the codex to use later. Make me look forward to seeing legendary items drop with duplicate aspects instead of just being garbage. Or give me double the inventory slots. Either way, hoping the QoL stuff gets looked at a bit because otherwise I'm enjoying just casually playing the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Devorum posted:

If you can’t beat the capstone then you’re definitely not ready for WT3 lmfao. Respectfully, skill issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Clocks posted:

It's the same for everyone. I swear that they originally said something about it being like, tailored to you specifically or something. Maybe that's in the future when they have a lot more offerings, but either way it's just some fomo bullshit, which isn't even working very well since there's not enough stuff to worry about them not bringing it back for 6mo etc.

I think there's some decent sets in the store but for the most part they don't strike me as overly better than the in-game stuff. In fact some of the sets are like, less "ripped/destroyed" versions of in-game pieces with a few other tweaks.

Personally I would have been willing to buy a few sets by now if they were usable on more than one class.

I reckon by next summer is when the bikini sets will be in the store to get all the coomer cash.

If they sold the Sorcerer power unleashed emote I'd buy that for like $3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Devorum posted:

Yeah, let me figure that out in Tier 3. I'm an adult, I don't need to take a test. I'd much rather jump a tier, get wrecked, and drop back than fight my way through a dungeon full of annoying teleporting enemies to get to a boss and discover I can't beat him.