Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus these days your wait is determined just as much by how long lightning is than standby.

Last week at DLR we got in line for Spider-Man with a posted 45 minute wait that took like 90 minutes because the lightning lane was just constantly pouring in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Aphrodite posted:

Last week at DLR we got in line for Spider-Man with a posted 45 minute wait that took like 90 minutes because the lightning lane was just constantly pouring in.

Not sure of your circumstances but Spider-man has a single rider line.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

smackfu posted:

Wow, a top tier vegetarian bbq place?

The vegetarian platter of bbq cauliflower and fake ribs and sausage hit my spot pretty darn good the sides were great, bbq beans with jackfruit, great roasted veggies, all A+ the pickle spears were dull.

If you eat meat I can only say those options looked and smelled amazing

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 12, 2023

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Satuli is good but Yak and Yeti and Flame Tree are both fantastic quick service spots (as long as you don't mind dealing with Kevin :argh:).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Are we just talking vegetarian-wise, because I'm not qualified to weigh in on that, but man, I've never gotten the hype on Satuli.

Also new thread title :neckbeard:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

We could rename this thread "A salute to all theme parks but mostly Disney"
it happened at last!!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
WHAT WE CHANGED THE THREAD NAME

BBQ place was good but drat, I’m obsessed with the salads (all mixed together) and I typically don’t even acknowledge salad at a place like this)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Field report from day 3 at Disney World I asked for advice a few months ago and was told it would be hot. I laughed and said yeah ok I deal with Okie summer heat and y’all were like. No it’s unconscious-ably hot.

Y’all were right. By 2pm each day I’ve never felt more drained in my life. Pounding water and liquid IV.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

Field report from day 3 at Disney World I asked for advice a few months ago and was told it would be hot. I laughed and said yeah ok I deal with Okie summer heat and y’all were like. No it’s unconscious-ably hot.

Y’all were right. By 2pm each day I’ve never felt more drained in my life. Pounding water and liquid IV.

Was there last week. By Thursday we had switched to parks in the morning, pool, parks in the evening. It got rough. And I looked at this weeks weather and it’s worse than last week. Brutal heat index. Stay hydrated and if you don’t have them, splurge for some Mickey cooking towels.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Spent yesterday at Islands of Adventure, and finally got to ride Hagrid’s coaster. While it’s interesting and pretty innovative, I still prefer Velocicoaster overall. Did not help things that my shoes are so big I literally could not move my feet in the sidecar seat on Hagrid’s. And yeah, it was pretty darn hot in the middle of the day.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Spent yesterday at Islands of Adventure, and finally got to ride Hagrid’s coaster. While it’s interesting and pretty innovative, I still prefer Velocicoaster overall. Did not help things that my shoes are so big I literally could not move my feet in the sidecar seat on Hagrid’s. And yeah, it was pretty darn hot in the middle of the day.
That's an odd design miss. Intamin is normally pretty good with legroom even back in their folding chair-inspired era and their new generation seats are among the best on all rides I've been on that has them (Taron, Kondaa, Hyperion*)

*Guess this count as a sneak preview for my next park writeup?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is there a bigger gap between a land's potential and what it actually is than the Jurassic Park section of IoA? Like... it's not a coincidence that the two best Jurassic Park movies are the ones where, for a significant portion of the runtime, the park is running properly. Everyone wants to go to that! It would be amazing. The parts of those movies where you just hang out and watch The Theme Park With Motherfucking Actual Dinosaurs run are really, really fun.

And Universal has an entire land devoted to it, in what ought to be the easiest layup of all time, and... it is some trees. And one crashed jeep.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They had an attraction where you just got to meet a cool dinosaur and it wasn't very popular.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Why dont they just get real dinosaurs

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Bottom Liner posted:

Why dont they just get real dinosaurs

Well first Universal would have to make a movie about a park that pursues creating dinosaurs in service of their own IP about a movie about a dinosaur park, then they could put real dinosaurs in service of *that* IP

I am advocating for a Jurassic Park multiverse

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

"Make it look like you're walking through a working Jurassic Park by themeing the concessions and ride buildings so they look like that from a distance and maybe stick a statue of an apatosaurus in the trees" is a ridiculously low bar, c'mon. The Dr. Seuss land manages to hit its theme to that level.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

"Make it look like you're walking through a working Jurassic Park by themeing the concessions and ride buildings so they look like that from a distance and maybe stick a statue of an apatosaurus in the trees" is a ridiculously low bar, c'mon.

This is literally what the land is though?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For real lol. It’s a pretty great area that you can sorta immerse yourself in except for the Harry Potter castle

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Maybe it's me, then; all I've ever gotten out of it was a bunch of trees and one random crashed jeep.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the current layout the Discovery Center is backwards and should have the main facade facing the path behind and not the water, but otherwise when you're not headed to Velocicoaster it's pretty good for a pre-Wizarding World/Galaxy's Edge themed land.

My first time going was with Velocicoaster already up, but I can see how having it sitting on the edge of the water before a rollercoaster was in the way made sense.

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe it's me, then; all I've ever gotten out of it was a bunch of trees and one random crashed jeep.

You gotta remember when we do see the public areas of the parks in the movies, it's cheesy as gently caress. There's merch cabanas and Margaritaville. The carnival games and bad pun restaurants fit the park aesthetic we see in the movies.

Jurassic World is basically Universal Citywalk with dinosaurs.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 14, 2023

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We’ve got a week long Disneyland/DCA trip next week. I need your hottest takes and recommendations. We’ve been to WDW several times so I’m familiar with Genie+ and things like that.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Welcome to CA, where it is cloudy and cool in the morning, the sun peeks through the clouds in the afternoon and it might hit 80 degrees, and then the clouds come back for a cool evening. It is not Summer, it is still very much June Gloom.

Seriously, pack layers and plan on it being cool/cold in the morning and evening. Also, there are a handful of Disneyland groups on Facebook worth joining for info (Gothic Rosie, Disneyland with Kids) and download the app to get familiar with the layout of both parks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yep, I was just in LA for the week and it was like 66 highs and a cool breeze. We wore pants and hoodies most evenings. Wild.

I also got sick after running at the beach in the cool air then coming back to 104 heat index.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Funzo posted:

We’ve got a week long Disneyland/DCA trip next week. I need your hottest takes and recommendations. We’ve been to WDW several times so I’m familiar with Genie+ and things like that.

You ask for hot takes, so this might be one of those... if you like roller coaster thrill rides as much as, or more than just "great theming" and are willing to take one of your days, you could head to Magic Mountain. It's about an hour drive from Disney from what I can tell and its pretty much a Roller Coaster park. I haven't been since I was very young but I remember it being great. I only bring it up because I don't think Disneyland really needs a whole week devoted to it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Superrodan posted:

You ask for hot takes, so this might be one of those... if you like roller coaster thrill rides as much as, or more than just "great theming" and are willing to take one of your days, you could head to Magic Mountain. It's about an hour drive from Disney from what I can tell and its pretty much a Roller Coaster park. I haven't been since I was very young but I remember it being great. I only bring it up because I don't think Disneyland really needs a whole week devoted to it.

We’ve got two days in each park which I agree is more then enough time. None of us are really coaster fans though, and we won’t have a car in any case.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Funzo posted:

Cars land at night, even if you hate the Cars movies.

my hottest Disney take is that Star Tours is the best ride but you can get that any where I guess

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2023/06/15/exclusive-disney-world-hotel-discount-announced-for-disney-subscribers/

My wife did this this morning. She saved us $600 on our Pop Century holiday trip. That's the first time there has ever been a discount during a normal time of year, usually its for the summer.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I was just coming in to post about the discounts. 35% off for Disney+ subscribers and 25% off for room only.

As always I am available for you Disney travel needs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know if the CM 40% off hotels for friends and family is an eternal thing, or only offered at specific times?

(My CM friend is famously bad at reading messages so it's easier to ask here.)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Aphrodite posted:

Does anyone know if the CM 40% off hotels for friends and family is an eternal thing, or only offered at specific times?

(My CM friend is famously bad at reading messages so it's easier to ask here.)

When we have used it in the past, it has depended mainly on how many rooms they had available for it at a given time. The last few years there have never been any rooms for us when we want to go (at the holidays).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...Q3wo0615230001A

My wife and I are all about the holidays and paying for exclusive parties...This is right up our alley. As millenials we love the Muppets too so this is hopefully gonna be great.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Not excited about the price of that party but Mickey has me by the balls so I’ll be there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CapnAndy posted:

Are we just talking vegetarian-wise, because I'm not qualified to weigh in on that, but man, I've never gotten the hype on Satuli.

Also new thread title :neckbeard:
I'm still suspicious of vegetables but Satuli's freedom to just order what you want in the bowl ends up with a wide spectrum of how well stuff works together. I went once, guessed right, and it was real good. I can see how guessing wrong would result in a mediocre bowl.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1669375320602935296

Fuuuuuuuuuck

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm still suspicious of vegetables but Satuli's freedom to just order what you want in the bowl ends up with a wide spectrum of how well stuff works together. I went once, guessed right, and it was real good. I can see how guessing wrong would result in a mediocre bowl.

That sweet potato hash is sooo good

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm not going two years in a row, but goddammit.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We're looking at Art of Animation, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Coronado, or Port Orleans for an on-park vacation. I've only ever been to Animal Kingdom Lodge, but she's done Pop Century and AoA. Caribbean Beach is kind of sprawling so we're not sure about skyliner access. But I think this thread has said nice things about Orleans, and I like the idea of boat transportation. Any thoughts?

edit: should add it's a very short trip (Saturday to Monday)

Hazo fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 15, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If you are going to Epcot or DHS, there's no reason not to stay at Pop Century. If you are doing a short trip, i wouldn't stay at a nicer resort since you aren't likely to use it. But the Skyliner is a must now imo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

alg posted:

If you are going to Epcot or DHS, there's no reason not to stay at Pop Century. If you are doing a short trip, i wouldn't stay at a nicer resort since you aren't likely to use it. But the Skyliner is a must now imo.

It's actually kind of the opposite-- We have APs so we wanted to take a trip where we aren't rushing around the parks and can just kind of chill and enjoy the pool or whatever. She really likes Pop Century though. I'd love to see Orleans but it's also the most expensive (~$480 total) for only two nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Braksgirl posted:

Not excited about the price of that party but Mickey has me by the balls so I’ll be there.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Tourism & Travel > A salute to all theme parks but mostly Disney: Not happy about the price but Mickey has me by the balls