Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DarkDobe posted:

Nightmare Dungeons aren't necessarily giving higher experience - and when you are running them at the 'correct' e.g. 3-5 levels over your character level - they will at best offer you a similar yield as the dungeons would have otherwise, but mixed in with potentially tedious modifiers like 'monsters take 45% less from your main damage type'
Yes you get the added benefit of getting a bit of progress in your glyphs - but it doesn't particularly outweigh the overall time investment, especially when you consider how long it takes to travel to a lot of these dungeons when you pop open the next NM.

this is so backwards its crazy. i have one levelled glyph giving me more overpower damage than exists on all the necro paragon boards, and more than the 430 willpower ive got provides. for a whole 7 paragon points. youre grinding a dungeon to get xp so you can eventually grind the nm dungeons which give xp + the actual rewards you want and think this is more efficient lol

also lmfao at 3-5 levels over. think more like 20.

Devorum posted:

Yeah, let me figure that out in Tier 3. I'm an adult, I don't need to take a test. I'd much rather jump a tier, get wrecked, and drop back than fight my way through a dungeon full of annoying teleporting enemies to get to a boss and discover I can't beat him.

you would complain about that as well. fix your build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I easily beat the capstone at 49 and then proceeded to get my rear end kicked up and down WT3 until I scrounged myself up to level 52 or so. If you can’t beat the capstone you arent going to enjoy WT3

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

this is so backwards its crazy. i have one levelled glyph giving me more overpower damage than exists on all the necro paragon boards, and more than the 430 willpower ive got provides. for a whole 7 paragon points. youre grinding a dungeon to get xp so you can eventually grind the nm dungeons which give xp + the actual rewards you want and think this is more efficient lol

also lmfao at 3-5 levels over. think more like 20.

you would complain about that as well. fix your build.
This.

Lolling at the guy earlier who spent like 4 seconds looking at the Paragon board after he unlocked it and just assumed the whole thing was “+2 intelligence” per point.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If you can't beat the capstones, there is a problem here, and it's not the dungeon my gamers. Upgrade your potato. I'm not being a smartass either. You are literally doing something incorrect. They are literally basic bitch dungeons.

Do you have an upgraded weapon within a decent level of yourself? Are you gemming with the best gems available to you? Is your build just a mishmash of whatever you think is good or is there a plan here? Are you using any defensive aspects if you're a squishy glass cannon?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Givin posted:

Are you gemming with the best gems available to you?
This reminds me - what is the gate on building better gems? I have several dozen of each at Chipped or whatever status but cant upgrade them further (I'm level 32 still on WT1).

edit: Also, let me take this opportunity to say "holy loving poo poo do the gems loving suck except for Skulls in weapons".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kaldaris posted:

It's more like, when I think of D3 and their legendary weapons with unique effects, most of them push damage in some way and are actually, you know, unique. Spawning a demon to follow you around with a fire chain, turning enemies into lightning rods, summoning angels, creating an AoE zone of holy damage. Like all of that was at least as visually interesting as it was mechanically advantageous. So many aspects just feel ... Uninspired.

And what was the point of removing gear sets if the aspects are going to try to pigeonhole you into a build anyways based on the level of support certain core abilities get over others?

those exist and are called uniques. legendaries are rares with an aspect stuck on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This reminds me - what is the gate on building better gems? I have several dozen of each at Chipped or whatever status but cant upgrade them further (I'm level 32 still on WT1).

edit: Also, let me take this opportunity to say "holy loving poo poo do the gems loving suck except for Skulls in weapons".

40, 60 and 70.

Most builds use Emeralds in weapons.

Edit: You can use the top 2 tiers at 50 and 60 though so they can start to drop before you can make them.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 14, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Too true. If resists ever change that will change as well but even in that case it's pretty boring as upgrades go.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Pretty much every capstone tier brings you into the next level. You'll start seeing regulars about 40/50ish, then 70. There really isn't an in game notifier that I saw. You can craft sigils at the occultist but I don't remember getting a notification that I could even do that until I went there once and saw two new tabs I didn't remember seeing. Someone posted this happens when you clear a tier 3 sigil.

Same for the alchemist. Some recipes unlock once you cross a world tier.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

American McGay posted:

This.

Lolling at the guy earlier who spent like 4 seconds looking at the Paragon board after he unlocked it and just assumed the whole thing was “+2 intelligence” per point.

ppl have no idea what theyre looking at in general, only know what they heard or read someone else say lol

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
what if there was a tier of equipment called "unique" and it could do unique things like give you a trail of frost when you walk, or make corpse explosion spawn a skeleton that runs at enemies, or completely change how you generate essence?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gems are kinda underwhelming, especially not having more unique slots effects like helms.

Kinda weird they absolutely shower you with them too. Maybe they’ll do something more interesting with them in the seasons.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

acumen posted:

what if there was a tier of equipment called "unique" and it could do unique things like give you a trail of frost when you walk, or make corpse explosion spawn a skeleton that runs at enemies, or completely change how you generate essence?

hosed up if true, op.

The only thing that sucks about uniques is that they take away from defensive affixes your gear may normally have so you'll never push high level nightmare dungeons with them.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
My biggest complaint with the game is I can't see it under the clouds of black death and bonersmoke I'm throwing out.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

skill issue

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Givin posted:

My biggest complaint with the game is I can't see it under the clouds of black death and bonersmoke I'm throwing out.

I want to know what graphics settings we can tweak to make it less bad.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Been in a bit of a slump with druid. I'm landslide/trample, level 68, and really would rather be another spec, but from what I can tell there are basically 3 viable builds, one of those being slide, and the other two of those are basically hard locked under unique helmets (one making earth skills bear and one making storm skills wolf). Am I just stuck with grinding for one of two uniques to change things up or are there other viable builds floating around?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

American McGay posted:

Gems are kinda underwhelming, especially not having more unique slots effects like helms.

Kinda weird they absolutely shower you with them too. Maybe they’ll do something more interesting with them in the seasons.

It really sucks that they all just grant +Resistances which is completely broken :(

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
“I’m an adult, I don’t need to take a test.” <— guy who repeatedly failed the test

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lhet posted:

Been in a bit of a slump with druid. I'm landslide/trample, level 68, and really would rather be another spec, but from what I can tell there are basically 3 viable builds, one of those being slide, and the other two of those are basically hard locked under unique helmets (one making earth skills bear and one making storm skills wolf). Am I just stuck with grinding for one of two uniques to change things up or are there other viable builds floating around?
Quit reading about what’s viable or not and just engage with the mechanics of the game and try to come up with something that’s fun.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lhet posted:

Have you the good word of our lord and savior, Tornado?

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/tornado-druid-leveling-guide
https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/tornado-druid-guide

The latter is an Endgame guide, so it also require a Unique.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I cleared the 70 capstone dungeon at 61 and most likely could have done it a few levels earlier. If you are stuck at the 50 dungeon and are 40 or higher there is something wrong with your build.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
the best graphics setting was to switch off necro so the corpses aren't giant red piles

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

American McGay posted:

Quit reading about what’s viable or not and just engage with the mechanics of the game and try to come up with something that’s fun.

But the meta.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Beware stormwolf is extremely clunky to play, but does get better the more you play it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I want to know what graphics settings we can tweak to make it less bad.

"Low FX" under Graphics helps a tiny bit. Each smoke batch is more transparent. It still turns pitch black if you stack it though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The paragon boards are such a upgrade over the old system.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

American McGay posted:

This game does not make it easy to casually respec. Huge material and time cost for something that might leave me unable to play remotely near the level I was at before. Tried speccing into a companion build earlier and it was time consuming, expensive, and ended up being an awful build anyways.

Sab669 posted:

Close range is too dangerous for me at this point, so I think I still need the homing tornado aspect for that to work. But at least that's a bit easier to achieve - so will keep an eye out for it. (also would be leaning towards the endgame wolf build, which looks really good if the helmet ever comes)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

I'm doing poison flurry myself but I think I'll switch to this. I don't have all the gear for it yet but it sounds better than penetrating shot for pushing NM tiers

Maybe this would change with better gear, but then again other people are also saying this: Flurry is too squishy for WT4. Not that it's not doable, there are 3.5 good Rogue builds (PenShot, Flurry, TB, and Death Trap which is a variation of TB). Whenever I die it's to big damage spikes, which Flurry's healing can't stop. Flurry Rogues want to be in the thick of it more than the others, and when you see a big GTFO circle on the ground you need to GTFO right away or it's instant death.

Supposedly there's not a big reason to push NM tiers aside from bragging rights, so I'm not that interested in it right now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

American McGay posted:

“I’m an adult, I don’t need to take a test.” <— guy who repeatedly failed the test
Whenever people say "I'm an adult", in my head it always sounds exactly like Andy Samberg in the Lonely Island song.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not being able to easily respec is good. It gives your choices more weight

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I will always stack 5 smoke clouds and none of you haters can stop me!!!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

You can still tweak your build pretty heavily, so it's a pretty good middle ground IMO. I've been bouncing back and forth from Bone Spear and Bone Spirit with a combination of both without much trouble.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

American McGay posted:

They basically made it incredibly cheap to add sockets to items and gave every item slot multiple sockets. So, you can be loaded up on gems relative to D3.

So, they nerfed the impact of gems a lot because you can have so many and people complained about the 10 million different levels of gems + gold sinks + mandatory emeralds in every weapon in D3.

I think they went in the right direction, but kind of overcorrected. Especially since they drop so frequently now and have no real purpose once you get your basic slots filled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eventually we will get a cube and they will probably be ingredients

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
If something says "Lucky Hit: 5% chance to proc something"

does that mean first you need to roll for Lucky Hit, and *then* you roll again for the 5%?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lhet posted:

This game does not make it easy to casually respec. Huge material and time cost

???

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Revitalized posted:

does that mean first you need to roll for Lucky Hit, and *then* you roll again for the 5%?
Yep.

I believe sorcerers (and necros?) are supposed to have a build around stacking lucky hit, but I haven't had a chance to play around with that yet - so for anything other than that/those builds, you want to avoid it.
Overpower and fortify works the same way - they're things that specific classes build around (although in the case of overpower and fortify, they also have some synergies).

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Revitalized posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Revitalized posted:

Yes.

If your lucky hit chance is 100% and you have something that has a 5% chance to proc on lucky hit, then it has a 5% chance to proc.

If your lucky hit chance is 50%, then it is a 2.5% chance to proc.