Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

biznatchio posted:

They're just so transparently operating in bad faith.

Emptyquoting this because it's the root problem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Shredder posted:

hey buddy you wanna buy some fuckin' mangosteens or what

Lol

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cyks posted:

The large tech subreddits are all absolutely useless for anything beyond basic helpdesk questions.

The person who actually knows what they are talking about but doesn’t get a chance to reply until later that day gets buried in the comments while the person who just spends all day sorting by new has 100s of upvotes and 30 responses all of “this is the way” regardless if their post is correct or at all relevant to the thread.

And if you dare to go against the hive mind and respond with actual correct information, the OP who started the thread will get super argumentative with you.

I used to post advice for configuring niche home network situations. I have a career worth of professional domain knowledge and it felt nice to use that to help people with their stuff instead of helping megacorps surveil said people.

Then one day a few years back I started getting bizarre replies from redditors angrily dogpiling on to screech that I was wrong. They’d confidently explain some nonsense that would sometimes technically accomplish what the OP was asking—but, it was always terrible advice that would create other problems. Usually security problems.

For awhile I’d very politely explain why the wrongposters were wrong, provide supporting documentation, and explain to OP why they shouldn’t open their home network 100% to the internet.

Then I was downvoted so much that I was essentially banned from providing correct answers.

So what I’m saying here is maybe think twice before you +reddit your searches.

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.

Shredder posted:

Lowtax was kind of jerky to my cousin in that thread so I didn't really care when he puffed his gun. I wish he hadn't done a wife beating though. That was kind of jerky too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The most horrifying part of Reddit to me imo is r/legaladvice. The quality contributors are people who post the most and don’t get contradicted frequently enough to be notable, and a lot of them are cops.

I deal with employment law a lot in my state as a union rep. Searched for my state and was in awe at the horrible advice being given. Subreddits like that definitely need to be shut down

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SodomizeTheWeak posted:

Lowtax was kind of jerky to my cousin in that thread so I didn't really care when he puffed his gun. I wish he hadn't done a wife beating though. That was kind of jerky too.

We're not making the Lowtax jerky anymore.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The most horrifying part of Reddit to me imo is r/legaladvice. The quality contributors are people who post the most and don’t get contradicted frequently enough to be notable, and a lot of them are cops.

I deal with employment law a lot in my state as a union rep. Searched for my state and was in awe at the horrible advice being given. Subreddits like that definitely need to be shut down

Dick Fontaine posted:

Then one day a few years back I started getting bizarre replies from redditors angrily dogpiling on to screech that I was wrong. They’d confidently explain some nonsense that would sometimes technically accomplish what the OP was asking—but, it was always terrible advice that would create other problems. Usually security problems.

Isn’t being confidently wrong enough of a problem there that they made a subreddit for it?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

SodomizeTheWeak posted:

Is your cousin named Todd, by chance? :buddy:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

That sub is run by cops. That’s not an exaggeration or joke, the people who run it are not lawyers but are police. When you realize that it makes a lot of the terrible advice make more sense.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Animal-Mother posted:

We're not making the Lowtax jerky anymore.

bobmcdynamite
Sep 6, 2011

FAH Q posted:

Reddit banned the Trisha Paytas snark page so it can get hosed in my books. If I can't poo poo on internet personalities for reenacting Jon Benet Ramsey's murder, than what is the internet even for?

Wait, back up. What the gently caress?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lowtax jerky shoes

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

SodomizeTheWeak posted:

It was a doom house

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Shredder posted:

00s stay huckin 'steen forever like the guy who stayed behind to run the heavens gate website

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

FAH Q posted:

Reddit banned the Trisha Paytas snark page so it can get hosed in my books. If I can't poo poo on internet personalities for reenacting Jon Benet Ramsey's murder, than what is the internet even for?

I heard that was an incredibly abusive and nasty subreddit targeting a mentally ill woman.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That sub is run by cops. That’s not an exaggeration or joke, the people who run it are not lawyers but are police. When you realize that it makes a lot of the terrible advice make more sense.

lmao

I wouldn't trust reddit for anything serious, though I only used it for resources and tips on semi-niche video games to begin with. I've actually used a ton of the various subforums here to help with problems and decision-making, and more often than not they've steered me in the right direction. SA's various resources may not be as extensive as reddit's, but I certainly trust the people here a hell of a lot more.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol reddit mods really think they're special, putting out statements and poo poo. as much as i enjoy a couple of subs like simracing or rocketleague i hope the whole site crashes and burns.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

redditors killed r/askhistorians with idiocy so they deserve to be punished, painfully.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Reddit made me post in GBS for the first time in over a decade.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

My condolences.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

well the tree law stuff was pretty funny

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Headcase Fargone posted:

Are we still doing the whole stairs thing?

I can't speak for anyone else but i am protected ,yes.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
the cycle will begin anew, and a new hero will emerge

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

what was the reddit secret question again? something about narwhals iirc

Charenton_
Sep 19, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Reddit made me post in GBS for the first time in over a decade.
Isn't it wild that basically nothing has changed?

I think I'll be hanging out again, probably forever.

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

what was the reddit secret question again? something about narwhals iirc

When does the narwhal bacon?

The narwhal bacons at midnight.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

stellae posted:

ah bacon, of course.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

stellae posted:

wow

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

stellae posted:

I can’t tell if I’m too young or old to get this one.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
The narwhal has stairs in his bacon house to be protected.

There now I've made everyone disappointed.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

might just not be brain damaged enough (no offense to actual brain damaged people ITT, of which there are many)

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Reddit died when they sacked that AMA lady for no reason.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

its that "random" internet humour style

*holds up spork*

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

its that "random" internet humour style

*holds up spork*

To be fair, "the narwhal bacons at midnight" is 14 years old at this point. It started in 2009. It's old enough to be rAnD0M all on its own.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

All I know is that I started a sid Meier Civilization 1 for MSDOS subreddit back in the day, and it grew a little, and then I got a bunch of angry dms about taking traffic away from the main fan made /civ subreddit. And when I said no I am not going to shutdown civ1 I started to get anonymous very threatening dms about my personal life, including anonymous threats to my personal email and I think also pms here from burner accounts. So like, gently caress all that I shut down civ1 and deleted my stupid vintage 2005 reddit account. I hate the internet and I hate reddit it's evil and dumb and enables internet mod types to actively harass people for... Internet points?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

lol reddit mods really think they're special, putting out statements and poo poo. as much as i enjoy a couple of subs like simracing or rocketleague i hope the whole site crashes and burns.

lol is that the stars wars font

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

All I know is that I started a sid Meier Civilization 1 for MSDOS subreddit back in the day, and it grew a little, and then I got a bunch of angry dms about taking traffic away from the main fan made /civ subreddit. And when I said no I am not going to shutdown civ1 I started to get anonymous very threatening dms about my personal life, including anonymous threats to my personal email and I think also pms here from burner accounts. So like, gently caress all that I shut down civ1 and deleted my stupid vintage 2005 reddit account. I hate the internet and I hate reddit it's evil and dumb and enables internet mod types to actively harass people for... Internet points?

People take their stupid internet hobbies way too loving seriously, loving weirdos.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Lampsacus posted:

OP, you might want to sit down for this because I have some terrible news about Something Awful

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
hahaha reddit, what a bunch of scoundrels they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lusty Grundles posted:

Reddit died when they sacked that AMA lady for no reason.

It wasn’t for no reason, she was fired over a “difference of opinion” because the current CEO wanted to pivot to video and make the AMAs more monetizable along with clamping way down on unscripted interactions

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 14, 2023