Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

teagone posted:

If you can't ever catch a DI on reaction, don't feel bad. Know that Mike Ross missed 3 times in a row:

https://clips.twitch.tv/TsundereCooperativePuddingPhilosoraptor-F4LU1qb3j2Gti0Qo

He's just like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

guppy posted:

I have the presence of mind to try to shimmy, but not the reflexes to do something about it when they whiff the throw. Am I supposed to be able to react to these in time, or am I supposed to proceed on the assumption that they'll go for it and reflexively press the button?

For a lot of stuff in fighting games, you want to reflexively press the first button or two, and then react to whether your button gets blocked or hits in order to hit confirm into a full combo.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Gonna yell into the void here and say the worst thing about this game is the menus/UI. It's SO. SLOW.

and is there anyway to get right into matchmaking without having to go into the menu and back out? it's so irritating

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'll also toss out an interface complaint that probably won't register to the vast majority of players. I hate that they included such a comprehensive set of audio options for visually impaired folks, but the lack of text to speech narration of the interface is such an odd exclusion. Kind of a half measure there. Luckily I can magnify and read the stuff but others won't be so fortunate.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
This is something im just now getting to terms with, I successfully shimmy people all the time, even back in SF5, but my brain just never thought of "hit button after you shimmy to punish" and always tried to react to the throw

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

guppy posted:

I have the presence of mind to try to shimmy, but not the reflexes to do something about it when they whiff the throw. Am I supposed to be able to react to these in time, or am I supposed to proceed on the assumption that they'll go for it and reflexively press the button?

You can practice this in training mode by setting one of the wakeup reversal options to normal throw. Throws are 23f including recovery, so if you can react to drive impact (26f) you can react to throw whiff. It actually should be easier once you practice it, since you only need to look for one thing.

First have them do it 100% of the time and make sure you have the space and timing correct, and only focus on pressing your whiff punish button.

Then, have them do it 100% of the time, whiff punish, and do the whole combo.

Then add another wakeup option where they do nothing but block. Now you can look for the whiff punish opportunity and do it correctly.

Once you do this enough you'll be able to do this in matches.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Gah. I think my biggest problem in any given round is that I stop blocking too early during combos. it constantly gets me in trouble, especially with Jamie whose combos for some reason really trip me up

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
People in silver love to walk into supers. I've just started spamming the motions and waiting for them to throw an attack. They never notice the telltale super jiggles.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If I join the JurisFeet Goon Group will I actually get any pics of Juris Feet?

Can I get pics of Luke's Feet instead?

Is there a LukesFeet Goon Group?

Do I need to be the change I want to see in the world?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reflexes decline with age :sigh:

The greatest gift SFVI has given is the return of Mike "Always Reacts" Ross.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

If I join the JurisFeet Goon Group will I actually get any pics of Juris Feet?

Can I get pics of Luke's Feet instead?

Is there a LukesFeet Goon Group?

Do I need to be the change I want to see in the world?

Its full. There are imitators tho

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this game is cool and i wish all of you horrible suffering for being impossibly stupid. bye

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

learning to take the throw has improved my WR so much, even when I'm getting throw looped my opponent eventually tries to shimmy a tech that never comes or reversal and I get out. I'm holding down back forever and it feels great.

Throw is all I know how to do so if I throw you 3 times in a row that poo poo is going forever until I'm convinced otherwise lol. I threw a Ryu 8 times the other day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://twitter.com/JD__FGC/status/1668647455641030658?s=20

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well that's the expected trend until what, platinum where you can get knocked back down?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

Well that's the expected trend until what, platinum where you can get knocked back down?

I was thinking that as well. I guess eventually everyone just sort of ends up in gold at some point right? With only the newest players being beneath that in terms of match making

Kind of like in Strive how everyone ends up around Floor 9/10 so you get insanely variable skill levels

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The placement match also heavily handicaps any future characters you do if one is like in Diaomond.

I lost 9/10 with one character and still made gold because I have two characters at platinum and one in diamond.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gold 1 will become by far the biggest rank, as that's where all the people who can't really go further will accumulate. Even people who are not really gold-level will get out of silver eventually with some win-streaks.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

It's not a steering wheel, but we're getting there.

https://twitter.com/WDBTHtGP/status/1668673675141296129

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 14, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think that's a sign that I should just be playing Luke on Modern instead of grinding away with Classic.

And maybe with a mouse.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I think that's a sign that I should just be playing Luke on Modern instead of grinding away with Classic.

And maybe with a mouse.

tbh if someone sat down next to me at a tournament and plugged in a mouse and keyboard I'd be terrified

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

And maybe with a mouse.

it's not the worst if you've got one of them MMO mouses, but i switched to pure KB after a while because of the difficulty in fitting everything into reachable range while still being to get the correct directional inputs

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

And maybe with a mouse.

I keep seeing tokido switch back and forth between modern and classic Luke. I'll be interested to see what he ends up sticking with

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

tbh if someone sat down next to me at a tournament and plugged in a mouse and keyboard I'd be terrified

They show up and set this thing up, you know you're hosed.

This on the other hand?

I guess you'll find out soon enough.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

chumbler posted:

Well tbf you were a rookie.

Maybe, but that guy was definitely giving me scrub energy

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I'm taking a break from the nobly struggling to learn Classic Luke for a while and been playing modern Juri. It is an altogether different game when I can instantly nail DPs at will.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think ken players are the scariest people in ranked rn

That character seems so good, hoo boy. I swear his heavy punch goes way further than it looks like it should though I guess he steps into it

Hit plat with cammy at least after quite a lot of grinding. Now back to chun for awhile

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think ken players are the scariest people in ranked rn

That character seems so good, hoo boy. I swear his heavy punch goes way further than it looks like it should though I guess he steps into it

Hit plat with cammy at least after quite a lot of grinding. Now back to chun for awhile

Ken has really good pokes. Thankfully scrub tier Kens just furiously shoryuken and lash kick so you can simply block and then beat them up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

AndyElusive posted:

what the gently caress is the usecase for this

is this for zoomers who want to be keyboard/mouse elite but cant not use a controller

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is this for zoomers who want to be keyboard/mouse elite but cant not use a controller

Technically analog movement offers a lot more than keyboard movement. A lot more directions and different speeds without holding other buttons

I wonder who actually goes to this effort, but I kinda like the idea

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

It's for Woolie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AndyElusive posted:

They show up and set this thing up, you know you're hosed.

This on the other hand?

Would these be tournament legal on the capcom pro tour? Lol.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm trying to do character guides, and there's a button that's labeled BS that says "TRY" which I presume lets me test out the thing they're talking about. ... What the hell is that button?

I am playing on keyboard.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
backspace?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

yeah I'm pretty sure it's backspace

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

WarEternal posted:

backspace?

.... Thank you. I've never seen it referred to as that in shorthand so my mind went blank.
Especially since I'm an rear end who rebinds a bunch of keys and I thought I somehow hosed it up.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
using the new steam overlay features to make a note that just says "REACT TO DRIVE IMPACT"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Need to see competitive play with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GF99sr7MDQ

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

1:30 made me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

The_Fuzzinator posted:

This is something im just now getting to terms with, I successfully shimmy people all the time, even back in SF5, but my brain just never thought of "hit button after you shimmy to punish" and always tried to react to the throw

Ok so, just walking back and pressing a delayed button no matter what, and hit confirming on that button, is a totally valid way to shimmy. If your character can do that (not everyone has a good normal for this), it works great in most scenarios and depending on your character might even be the most reliable way to get high damage on your successful shimmy.

However, it has weaknesses, because if they got out of the way of the button somehow, you are probably going to eat poo poo. People holding up on their wakeup will come down with a punish combo on you. A backdash might let them whiff punish. Characters with slow reversals (like Ed's DP in SF5) will just always beat you. In SF6 in particular, now you have to react to what your button is getting when it touches. You'll need to do something different if it was a DI, or a hit (presumably punish counter if you're hitting a throw whiff, but this isn't guaranteed to be why you hit them of course), or a block.

So the other version of the technique where you actually try and react to the throw before you press anything, is also valid. It can even be considered the more "correct" version but it's definitely a much harder skillcheck.