Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Stux posted:

this is so backwards its crazy. i have one levelled glyph giving me more overpower damage than exists on all the necro paragon boards, and more than the 430 willpower ive got provides. for a whole 7 paragon points. youre grinding a dungeon to get xp so you can eventually grind the nm dungeons which give xp + the actual rewards you want and think this is more efficient lol

also lmfao at 3-5 levels over. think more like 20.

Where did you get the idea that I haven't leveled my glyphs and paragons? I have 3 glyphs at level 15 giving me some chonky benefits - but going past that is meaningless (for now) - and the NM dungeons themselves suck for XP, and aren't very good for item drops, so why would I run them? The benefit for going 20 levels over is negligible for XP - it caps at something like 3 or 5 levels higher. NMs exist to level glyphs, not characters - which is the core of the problem: if they actually gave significant amount of experience vs just doing regular dungeons I'd be doing them more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

DarkDobe posted:

Where did you get the idea that I haven't leveled my glyphs and paragons? I have 3 glyphs at level 15 giving me some chonky benefits - but going past that is meaningless (for now) - and the NM dungeons themselves suck for XP, and aren't very good for item drops, so why would I run them? The benefit for going 20 levels over is negligible for XP - it caps at something like 3 or 5 levels higher. NMs exist to level glyphs, not characters - which is the core of the problem: if they actually gave significant amount of experience vs just doing regular dungeons I'd be doing them more.

paragon board is where a huge portion of your endgame power comes from.. with glyphs being one of the main sources of that power. l2p.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
glyphs dont stop getting better at 15

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Committing to a build involves reassigning a bunch of legendary aspects, which is extremely expensive.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
[looking at glyph saying radius ownt increase anymore] well theres no more benefit to this. time to go back to running through a t0 dungeon to get levels and gear for ??. wouldnt want to do any content that needs those things... scary...

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
How are people having trouble with resources other than poo poo from helltides or world bosses? And with helltides the only reason I ever run low is because I don't want to loving do them because they're terrible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Stux posted:

glyphs dont stop getting better at 15

There are a few glyphs with static bonuses such as the "Get 13% resistance to the element of the spells in your enchantment slots" for sorc that don't have any real benefit to going above level 15.

But, most of them do scale equally per level all the way to max.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 14, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Now that I've pretty much reached all my goals with my Necro I'll play other games until season 1 comes out. It was a solid nearly-2 weeks.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
why do gems take inventory slots and why do they only stack to 50

they literally fit INSIDE the pieces of gear

get my dude a little pouch, for gems, so i never have to think about them again. pick them up off the ground automatically

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Now that I've pretty much reached all my goals with my Necro I'll play other games until season 1 comes out. It was a solid nearly-2 weeks.

I played DOTA for the first time since before TOTK came out, this week :ohdear:

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You can still tweak your build pretty heavily, so it's a pretty good middle ground IMO. I've been bouncing back and forth from Bone Spear and Bone Spirit with a combination of both without much trouble.

This is probably easy if you're in the same category (bone)

Going from summoner to bone is a pain in the rear end, I'd have to redo all the aspects on my gear, or probably find new gear entirely that has crit on it instead of shadow over time damage, minion damage, etc.

It's probably easier to just roll a new character (assuming you have all the statues) as you start with 10 points and respecs are free to get a feel for whatever you wanna try

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sab669 posted:

I played DOTA for the first time since before TOTK came out, this week :ohdear:

Dota 2's the first non-Diablo 4 game I'm gonna play this month. Gonna Tinker it up!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

kaxman posted:

why do gems take inventory slots and why do they only stack to 50

they literally fit INSIDE the pieces of gear

get my dude a little pouch, for gems, so i never have to think about them again. pick them up off the ground automatically

The upcoming Gem Bag will be available as part of a DLC Bundle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shredder posted:

This is probably easy if you're in the same category (bone)

Going from summoner to bone is a pain in the rear end, I'd have to redo all the aspects on my gear, or probably find new gear entirely that has crit on it instead of shadow over time damage, minion damage, etc.

It's probably easier to just roll a new character (assuming you have all the statues) as you start with 10 points and respecs are free to get a feel for whatever you wanna try

You can get all of the aspects via the codex. Also, hang on to aspects with good rolls.

It is definitely not easier to roll a new character unless you are sub level 30 or so.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

soggybagel posted:

When an elite hits you in the gem bag, you'll be stunned for 5 seconds. Can't be interrupted.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can get all of the aspects via the codex. Also, hang on to aspects with good rolls.

It is definitely not easier to roll a new character unless you are sub level 30 or so.

Half the aspects aren't in the codex

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

soggybagel posted:

How much for a Dota courier to sell and salvage my trash?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lhet posted:

Committing to a build involves reassigning a bunch of legendary aspects, which is extremely expensive.
Adding a new aspect to my level 70 ancestral gear costs.... 22k and half a dozen salvage items.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is it possible to bail on poo poo that's going badly (like a boss fight or whatever) by quitting the game, or is it fully Do or Die on a hardcore character

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Verviticus posted:

is it possible to bail on poo poo that's going badly (like a boss fight or whatever) by quitting the game, or is it fully Do or Die on a hardcore character

If you disconnect on hardcore your character dies. That's how the world first 100 HC guy lost his character.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shredder posted:

Half the aspects aren't in the codex

I've been getting aspects that weren't in the codex before added into it. So I think they're a drop of some kind. Either way, it's still better to save all high-rolled aspects for items you're not using.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Verviticus posted:

There's a get out of jail free teleport scroll and you can map it to a hotkey.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's something like 10 seconds before log out, so in theory you might survive.. I dunno. Tomb Lord before he drops low enough to start blowing up his walls. And no such luck once you hit WT3/4.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Aphrodite posted:

If you disconnect on hardcore your character dies. That's how the world first 100 HC guy lost his character.

wait, you're just straight up killed if you disconnect? or you stand around and the mobs beat you to death like in other games

Doomykins posted:

It's something like 10 seconds before log out, so in theory you might survive.. I dunno. Tomb Lord before he drops low enough to start blowing up his walls. And no such luck once you hit WT3/4.

there's the aspect that gives you invuln when you drop out of healthy i guess

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
youre killed for being a little bitch

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Glad I mentioned it, thank you for the heads up!

Yeah the game gives you a ton of xp compared to what's needed to level to 50. If you beeline the main story you may not get to 50 before completing it, but if you're doing all of the dungeons, exploration, and side quests you'll also run into a wall at 50 in like Scosglen, which is why I've seen a few places say that leveling in WT2 isn't really worthwhile, and I'd agree with that. While the only thing standing between a player and WT3 is the capstone dungeon, the dungeon can't be attempted until after the campaign, so don't be like me and try to do all the side content as it becomes available.

I ended up completing the campaign at like 52 from just killing level 50 mobs for five acts of story. Definitely had optimized gear for the 50 capstone, at least lmao.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 14, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Verviticus posted:

wait, you're just straight up killed if you disconnect? or you stand around and the mobs beat you to death like in other games

You linger long enough to get killed.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah the game gives you a ton of xp compared to what's needed to level to 50. If you beeline the main story you may not get to 50 before completing it, but if you're doing all of the dungeons, exploration, and side quests you'll also run into a wall at 50 in like Scosglen, which is why I've seen a few places say that leveling in WT2 isn't really worthwhile, and I'd agree with that. While the only thing standing between a player and WT3 is the capstone dungeon, the dungeon can't be attempted until after the campaign, so don't be like me and try to do all the side content as it becomes available.

I ended up completing the campaign at like 52 from just killing level 50 mobs for five acts of story. Definitely had optimized gear for the 50 capstone, at least lmao.

On the flip side, you don't have to go back and hit up a bunch of missed quests and dungeons to get to max rep for the area. I really wish I would have gone slower through the campaign and did all the side quests as they showed up.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

poemdexter posted:

On the flip side, you don't have to go back and hit up a bunch of missed quests and dungeons to get to max rep for the area. I really wish I would have gone slower through the campaign and did all the side quests as they showed up.

Yeah, for me, I ended up hitting 50 in Scosglen after having done all of the dungeons and side quests (except for the one dungeon and two side quests that required campaign completion) in Fractured Peaks and a couple of the Scosglen zones. At that point I burned through the remainder of the campaign, acts 2 through 6, and I'm now using the exploration and dungeon content to push to 70, which is a lot slower but is at least possible now that I'm on WT3.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 14, 2023

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've been getting aspects that weren't in the codex before added into it. So I think they're a drop of some kind. Either way, it's still better to save all high-rolled aspects for items you're not using.

(x) Doubt

Aspects that aren't in the codex don't show up on the codex later.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Magus42 posted:

(x) Doubt

Aspects that aren't in the codex don't show up on the codex later.

I mean you can't go to a dungeon to unlock every single class specific codex, some of them are random drops only.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

They basically made it incredibly cheap to add sockets to items and gave every item slot multiple sockets. So, you can be loaded up on gems relative to D3.

So, they nerfed the impact of gems a lot because you can have so many and people complained about the 10 million different levels of gems + gold sinks + mandatory emeralds in every weapon in D3.

I think they went in the right direction, but kind of overcorrected. Especially since they drop so frequently now and have no real purpose once you get your basic slots filled.

?????? D4 has 1 fewer available gem slot on gear than D3 has.

Literally the only difference is D3 gets 3 sockets on chests and D4 gets two sockets on two hand weapons.

D4 gems suck, they do so little per gem it's not even really noticeable.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 14, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gwaihir posted:

They made it much cheaper and easier to add sockets, though.

You just roll up to the jeweler. In vanilla D3, there was no way to do it except enchanting (which became unsustainable due to exponentially increasing costs for enchanting a single item). It wasn't until years later that they added a very rare drop that could add sockets.

Now, you can just add them to every item without even taking up an affix slot for just some gold.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yep.

I believe sorcerers (and necros?) are supposed to have a build around stacking lucky hit, but I haven't had a chance to play around with that yet - so for anything other than that/those builds, you want to avoid it.
Overpower and fortify works the same way - they're things that specific classes build around (although in the case of overpower and fortify, they also have some synergies).

sorcs have an annoying amount of skills based on lucky hits. i honestly hate it. i just want an effect!!! Even some of our aspects are just glorified lucky hits. (chance for +2 chains to lightning for example). Various enchants are just "Another Lucky Hit effect". sorcs are just gamblers really based on these thigns

They made it much cheaper and easier to add sockets, though.

You just roll up to the jeweler. In vanilla D3, there was no way to do it except enchanting (which became unsustainable due to exponentially increasing costs for enchanting a single item). It wasn't until years later that they added a very rare drop that could add sockets.

Now, you can just add them to every item without even taking up an affix slot for just some gold.

it's cheap but i would not say it's easy since the material for it only drops from world bosses and treasure goblins. quite limited

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 14, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Comparisons to vanilla d3 are pretty laughable because it was so loving bad, but also, we're not in 2012 anymore and presumably there's at least one person left at blizzard that remembers all the fixes required to turn d3 from a trash game to a great one.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

Literally the only difference is D3 gets 3 sockets on chests and D4 gets two sockets on two hand weapons.

D4 gems suck, they do so little per gem it's not even really noticeable.

I dunno, +72% critical strike damage to vulnerable enemies for barbarians seems really nice considering you can have 100% vulnerable on hit chance from paragon board.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Aphrodite posted:

Your character doesn't just explode if you lag out. They just stand in place for 20 seconds and won't retaliate if attacked, so if you dc'd in the middle of a dungeon you're hosed. I have seen a few people say that if you have Scrolls of Escape on you they will be used automatically to TP you back to town, but I'm not going to test that out on my own character.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Comparisons to vanilla d3 are pretty laughable because it was so loving bad, but also, we're not in 2012 anymore and presumably there's at least one person left at blizzard that remembers all the fixes required to turn d3 from a trash game to a great one.

They just didn't want to put a lot of end game content out day one. So, instead we'll have to wait a while until loot tables are evened out (I'm loving done with trying to find a decent Aspect of the Umbral) when there's greater rifts or whatever leader boards to push.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Givin posted:

Pretty much every capstone tier brings you into the next level. You'll start seeing regulars about 40/50ish, then 70. There really isn't an in game notifier that I saw. You can craft sigils at the occultist but I don't remember getting a notification that I could even do that until I went there once and saw two new tabs I didn't remember seeing. Someone posted this happens when you clear a tier 3 sigil.

Same for the alchemist. Some recipes unlock once you cross a world tier.
Excellent, thank you!

BurningBeard posted:

Too true. If resists ever change that will change as well but even in that case it's pretty boring as upgrades go.
Yeah with all the modifiers in the game they could definitely get more creative or add multiple bonuses or something, sheesh.

Aphrodite posted:

Most builds use Emeralds in weapons.
I forget what Emeralds do, but I definitely felt a power spike once I added three Chipped Skulls to my available weapons as a Barb around level 30. Speaking of it, do I remember correctly that for Barbs (and everyone, I guess) that bonuses and gems in weapons that you do not currently drawn still add their bonuses, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I find it more incredulous that whoever devved for D4 couldn't just launch Diablo 3 and write some notes down, rather than hope they maintain a chain of dev knowledge unbroken since vanilla D3. In fact, definitely break it because vanilla D3 is when somebody said "double it" without testing about Inferno.

Surely they'll say "hey all this stuff is coming whooo-eee crunch is hard please be patient" in the stream.