Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In Training posted:

That sucks. Was the pay good at least.

well, it was a lot more than her previous job and about double what she had been making one year prior. but after just 4 or 5 months at bytedance she quit and got a much lower stress job that pays only slightly less, so i guess in a sense it was worth it as a stepping stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fart simpson posted:

my working hours (traditional electronics industry) are a normal 40 hours per week, nothing on the weekends. my wife worked at bytedance for a while and that was nuts, like 9 am to 10 pm 5 days a week and had to be on call on weekends. but her other jobs at non bytedance companies are much more reasonable

Yeah those international renown tech companies seem to have their own rules. All sound like (western) video game industry final stage crunch time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was at a dinner party last night where it was suggested that any Canadian working in China can be arbitrarily arrested because of the Two Michaels lol.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Telluric Whistler posted:

Generally working culture is more sane but not like... European style take a month off in summer.

If you're in the big prestige companies working hours can be insane but that's kind of a global thing.

It's kind of a more "get poo poo done" in the office culture, which can be tough when there's actually projects that require discussion. I had a few nightmare system implementations and process optimization projects until I figured out how to navigate the culture.

Working on global projects the Chinese part of the team would get frustrated with the Americans always wanting to talk endlessly, the Americans would get frustrated at the Chinese team being inflexible (usually it was because the Americans didn't present a good case for making any changes despite talking so much) -- the hours worked seemed to be pretty similar between the two though

What about real.jobs, not bullshit office make work?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Frosted Flake posted:

I was at a dinner party last night where it was suggested that any Canadian working in China can be arbitrarily arrested because of the Two Michaels lol.

🤞

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

should have said that only happens to spies as in the case of the Two Michaels

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There are 300,000 Canadians living in Hong Kong alone.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Chinese way of "groping for stones to cross the river" is something that I've found to be more effective

when you’re Chinese, they let you do it. you can do anything. grope them by the stones.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
good one

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

should have said that only happens to spies as in the case of the Two Michaels

It's led to screaming arguments with my wife, and her friends are even more in that world, so no dice lol.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

It's led to screaming arguments with my wife, and her friends are even more in that world, so no dice lol.

Wife thinking about joining The Crisis Group heh?

Just specialize in the small countries the west can bully around so you are safe.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Frosted Flake posted:

ive heard like, nobody english teachers say that here in shenzhen. they’re worried it will happen to them too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

ive heard like, nobody english teachers say that here in shenzhen. they’re worried it will happen to them too

I hope it does

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

I hope it does

if im ever actually part of the conversation and people say that i tell them to leave if they’re so worried about it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fart simpson posted:

Wild.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Wife thinking about joining The Crisis Group heh?

Just specialize in the small countries the west can bully around so you are safe.

They've all been there on their green passports, so I'm not even sure what the concern is. They're convinced that MSS broke into their hotel rooms while they were there, that their driver was a spy, translator, bartender at the hotel bar.

And to be fair, maybe - I have no idea if 2020's Beijing is like 1970's Moscow in how they handle western government visits - but that still doesn't mean the Michaels were arrested for no reason. They also weren't there on green passports, so far as I know.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:07 on Jun 14, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

crepeface posted:

when you’re Chinese, they let you do it. you can do anything. grope them by the stones.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Wild.

They've all been there on their green passports, so I'm not even sure what the concern is. They're convinced that MSS broke into their hotel rooms while they were there, that their driver was a spy, translator, bartender at the hotel bar.

And to be fair, maybe - I have no idea if 2020's Beijing is like 1970's Moscow in how they handle western government visits - but that still doesn't mean the Michaels were arrested for no reason. They also weren't there on green passports, so far as I know.

everyone acts as though these paranoid thoughts aren't from seeing how western governments treat their foreign visitors, it's adorable

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Delta-Wye posted:

everyone acts as though these paranoid thoughts aren't from seeing how western governments treat their foreign visitors, it's adorable

Well that's what I was thinking, because didn't we arrest a telecom executive on the flimsiest pretence at the US' behest?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

crepeface posted:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/longshortgamma/status/1668943085152382976

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

But at what cost?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

millionaire genocide..........................

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!
who are the two michaels

are they hot

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

our perfect baby angels

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!
trying to get to beijing but accidentally taking a left turn at the two michaels

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

croup coughfield posted:

who are the two michaels

are they hot

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/meng-wanzhou-affair

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

i remember the huawei exec getting arrested but not these guys lol. ty

"wolf warrior diplomacy"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am not saying Beijing has a list of confirmed spies for each country, but its highly likely Beijing doesn't bother with the likely visiting spies until they need to express a political gesture. This happened a couple months ago when Beijing detained a Japanese businessman spy when the Sino-Japanese relationship was in a bad place.

It happened a few times against Taiwanese spies too in the last few years. When KMT was in the government this kind of stuff wouldn't even see the news. Basically you only read about spy news when diplomatic relationship between 2 states is in bad shape. Taiwan does the same thing too, they detained a mainland college student(!) and a HK businessman couple during the pandemic and denies them leaving Taiwan island because "they are under investigation." I don't even want to google where they are now because I may get upset finding out they are still stuck in "can't leave" pergatory.

And the spies getting deporter always follows the spy logic, which is hush hush until you are suddenly put on a plane without formally charging or charged without officially serving your time.

There is only one exception when a Taiwanese guy was charged with overthrowing mainland government charges (rightfully, because he emailing with the mainland dissidents and was organizing some stuff), he got grabbed and normally after negotiation with the traditional cross-strait bodies, he would be sent deported. But his wife was a DPP party worker and a NGO worker. In her infinite wisdom, decided to send out the press to all the newspapers to make it as big a news as possible. So Beijing prosecuted her husband with the most standard legal procedure and made him serve 5 years. I think he just got out last year. I will see if I remember his name.

Here is the guy. It's very easy to find because this kind of stuff doesn't happen often. And DPP party memeber going to mainland to do business all the time. That's not the reason you go yo jail.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Ming-che

And his wife tried to use a Taiwanese is "not Chinese citizen" as an argument to bring the case to the UNEuropean Council, yeah mainland would let you claim a taiwanese person is not a Chinese citizen very funny. That's why you don't get reduced sentence.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jun 14, 2023

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

any competent country would be keeping tabs on spooks and spook assets especially if they're from the west

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they'd also be smart to keep an eye out for ghouls and draculas

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
and the west has made it clear that it'll use anyone in any official position to do shady spy work, so they can craft a sob story when they get held, so absolutely no one is off the table, which is good for no one but that's apparently how it's got to be

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also if you figure out someone is a spook you prefer to keep that under wraps letting the other side think they're still being sneaky, while you keep them busy and away from anything important, like a spook daycare.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

KomradeX posted:

What about real.jobs, not bullshit office make work?

It is probably pretty chill to be a compound guard

My friends in retail basically describe retail experiences

My friends with experience in factories made it sound kinda crappy mostly because you live on campus since many of you are migrant workers, but of those friends most also weren't doing it 12 months a year and would go back home to chill a couple months

Construction work is probably somewhat similar but seems like the crappiest job from my completely outsider perspective because you live on site in a prefab metal dorm

But the topic was "work culture" which is usually about how many hours office workers are expected to work. Though I guess we should hire some Chinese laborers to post itt and talk poo poo to us

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

heard this story on npr and did the joker laugh

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sc...r-women-workers

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AmbassadeChine/status/1667844441078472704

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

why would you need to spy on the west if it is incapable of taking any form of action from neoliberalism poisoning?

we cant even make new fighter planes, and you would be in a worse position if you had tried figured out their secrets to counter them, as it would be a waste of money

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

celadon posted:

why would you need to spy on the west if it is incapable of taking any form of action from neoliberalism poisoning?

I think I'm gonna have to side with China on whether or not that's a worthwhile venture

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they can fix me

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

sound on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Wait this is the official embassy account? When did Beijing become cool?