Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Good idea for next year's forum challenge

Looking into this along with the 'will Chelsea or Luton finish with more points' challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Nuclear Spoon posted:

richarlison is going to score 25 goals next season

i suppose if celtic are going to lose big ange he can at least send them some of his wasters on loan

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

"How many times will he wheel off in celebration ripping his shirt off for a subsequently disallowed goal"

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

or, put another way, 5 suspensions for yellow card accumulation

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Pochettino will Make Chelsea Great Again. If they do not in a CL spot at the end of the 2023-2024 season, I will gladly donate $100 to charity.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

lol you just had to one up my completely unrealistic dream scenario

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Eric Cantonese posted:

Pochettino will Make Chelsea Great Again. If they do not in a CL spot at the end of the 2023-2024 season, I will gladly donate $100 to charity.

With charity?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

25 goals celebrated, 25 yellow cards

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Eric Cantonese posted:

No matter how much you tell us, trying to buy Chelsea a European spot isn't charity no matter how impaired they are.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

:toxx:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Jose posted:

With charity?

With charity or which charity? I'll toxx myself so I'll for for these guys if this forum is okay with it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The most surprising thing about City's treble is how little people care about it. I always saw them winning the Champions League as a nightmare scenario but in reality you just roll with it. Mourinho's 'historical treble' with United upset me more than this. Losing 2-1 at Old Trafford upset me more than this.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I think most fans are pretty aware of City being well-run and immensely wealthy, so them winning a treble is like watching the inevitable happen. It was nice to see Pep stumble a bit in years past, but most fans knew this moment was going to come.

Also, City weren't the first to do a Treble, so I think it's always going to have a slightly lower impact.

I will readily admit to still being very annoyed at City's even higher level of success right now because I don't see the sport getting any easier for Liverpool from here. The prospect of watching Newcastle and City turn the Premier League into another La Liga doesn't fill me with joy, but rest of you see way more mature than I am.

I do see a lot of hope from online fans of multiple clubs that Guardiola will supposedly leave soon but I doubt that. I think he'll be at City as long as he wants to work because he's at a club where he doesn't have to care about budgets and he can just concentrate on getting a good side that can play the way he wants.

EDIT: Does City have any real, emotionally and historically charged rivalry with anyone besides United? The rivalry with Liverpool is more about current sporting circumstances.

2ND EDIT: Also, I think United fans have been happy to see City pip Liverpool to 3 league titles, so there's probably a low ceiling to how angry they can really get about anything City is doing.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 14, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eric Cantonese posted:

I do see a lot of hope from online fans of multiple clubs that Guardiola will supposedly leave soon but I doubt that. I think he'll be at City as long as he wants to work because he's at a club where he doesn't have to care about budgets and he can just concentrate on getting a good side that can play the way he wants.

I imagine the £20m+ a year (disclosed) helps quite a lot too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Supposedly Guardiola said he wants to leave City when his contract's up in two years, but I recall him saying something similar last time around and then changing his mind when he saw the size of his birthday cake, so he'll probably stay forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can win him over with the right sort of Colin the Caterpillar cake

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I imagine the £20m+ a year (disclosed) helps quite a lot too

Are you telling me Pep isn't worth 0.57 Andy Carrolls a year

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
In addition to City winning everything forever having seemed inevitable for a while now, Barca and Inter have also managed domestic trebles so it’s becoming a less interesting accomplishment.

Plus, aside from being owned by cheating, sportswashing human rights abusers City are a relatively faceless club and I find it hard to care about anything they do.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

In addition to City winning everything forever having seemed inevitable for a while now, Barca and Inter have also managed domestic trebles so it’s becoming a less interesting accomplishment.

Plus, aside from being owned by cheating, sportswashing human rights abusers City are a relatively faceless club and I find it hard to care about anything they do.

Yeah I just mostly feel indifference

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Gardening on amphetamines is where it's at, bro. Those weeds won't stand a chance.

That's not what a speedweeder is

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
tbh city's treble isn't that exciting because it's felt inevitable for like 5 years now, whereas the '99 treble felt pretty precarious at every point

City (realistically) walked the league again this year, whereas in '99 United only secured the title on the final day.
City's cumulative FA cup score this season is like 18-2, while United of course had that semi against Arsenal (and a come-from-behind win against Liverpool in i think the 4th round)
City never looked like losing in the CL either, whereas United qualified from a group including Bayern and Barca, the Juventus comeback, and of course the final comeback

I think the Champions League also doesn't feel particularly special at this point? United were the first English club to make the CL final in like 15 years, let alone win it, while in the last 15 years English teams have won it five times (including multiple all-English finals). So it doesn't exactly feel rare at this point.

Plus of course the whole sportswashing thing, the financial fraud, and ultimately it's just kinda boring that the richest club with the best-paid players, the deepest bench and the best coach win everything. Not a particularly interesting narrative.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I have been reliably informed by the British media that Man city winning the treble is the greatest club football story ever told.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

webmeister posted:

tbh city's treble isn't that exciting because it's felt inevitable for like 5 years now, whereas the '99 treble felt pretty precarious at every point

City (realistically) walked the league again this year, whereas in '99 United only secured the title on the final day.
City's cumulative FA cup score this season is like 18-2, while United of course had that semi against Arsenal (and a come-from-behind win against Liverpool in i think the 4th round)
City never looked like losing in the CL either, whereas United qualified from a group including Bayern and Barca, the Juventus comeback, and of course the final comeback

I think the Champions League also doesn't feel particularly special at this point? United were the first English club to make the CL final in like 15 years, let alone win it, while in the last 15 years English teams have won it five times (including multiple all-English finals). So it doesn't exactly feel rare at this point.

Plus of course the whole sportswashing thing, the financial fraud, and ultimately it's just kinda boring that the richest club with the best-paid players, the deepest bench and the best coach win everything. Not a particularly interesting narrative.

triggered

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

webmeister posted:

The older we get the more poo poo we’ve already seen...mopeds on fire off the shoulder of the Curva Sud...I watched Wout Weghorst tap a sign in the dark near the Anfield tunnel. All those moments lost like Lukaku in front of an open net. Time to buy another midfielder.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Frankston posted:

I have been reliably informed by the British media that Man city winning the treble is the greatest club football story ever told.

pure barclays m8

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

The older we get the more poo poo we’ve already seen...mopeds on fire off the shoulder of the Curva Sud...I watched Wout Weghorst tap a sign in the dark near the Anfield tunnel. All those moments lost like Lukaku in front of an open net. Time to buy another midfielder.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gigi Galli posted:

"It's too bad the charges won't stick"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

I like this post

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Gigi Galli posted:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

:five:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Gigi Galli posted:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gigi Galli posted:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
lol if true

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_DT/status/1669429566669049858

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
3 (Years before our new sponsors are banned)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

"time...to dive"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

they should sign an 8-year contract imo

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
So ready for the hammers to sell rice to the highest bidder, not only am I tired of hearing about it, he deserves to play on a better club/in better european competitions. I like to think the ownership will take the windfall and balance the team out but they haven’t been able to find a striker since they stumbled onto arnautovic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are you telling me Pep isn't worth 0.57 Andy Carrolls a year

tbf I just checked pep's stats and he never once scored 17 goals in a season as main striker for a team too good for the championship

not once