Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ytlaya posted:

The impression I got is that he was biting its beak to prevent it from shooting him with another blast, and then just held it down and burned it to death.

Watch it again, you missed some pretty important stuff.

The bite was indeed just to immobilize but there was no burning going on. Ifrit punched a truck sized hole in Phoenix’s chest cavity/heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Watch it again, you missed some pretty important stuff.

The bite was indeed just to immobilize but there was no burning going on. Ifrit punched a truck sized hole in Phoenix’s chest cavity/heart.

Oh yeah, I see now. It's hard to tell if the explosion is the Phoenix exploding because he punched through it, or if it's Ifrit's "charged punch" exploding after going through him (since Ifrit sort of starts burning with more intensity leading up to it). I think the former? Like he maybe broke the "core" of the Phoenix leading to the explosion.

That actually makes the Phoenix coming back seem more likely, since it seems like it exploded after being impaled by Ifrit's arm, and "Phoenix exploding" seems like the sort of thing they revive from.

Jellybonedisorder
Jan 26, 2020
As long as Tetsuya Nomura has nothing to do with this game, I feel like this one is going to be great

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nomura not being involved is a regrettable black mark but I have confidence regardless

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

I like how FF8 kind of set the standard for Ifrit's design. Before 8, Ifrit usually had a more human-like face, but 8 made him more bestial and that design stuck ever since.

When XIV's Eden raid series was going on I was desperately hoping for its Ifrit redesign to be like Ghost Rider after we got ATV champion Titan in the first Eden raid tier but alas.

Maybe XVI can right these wrongs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why is the text in the menu so drat tiny?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Bongo Bill posted:

Why is the text in the menu so drat tiny?

Maybe I just didn't notice this until MY eyes started having issues but it's definitely a thing I've noticed in a lot of games lately and it does drive me a bit nuts. You can resize subtitles but not UI script?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Text size gets complained about with every single AAA release so I don’t know why resizing it isn’t a standard feature yet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

Seems more like the plot is Clive and Cid making their own nation of dominants/magic users and by the end all the dominants will either be part of that nation or dead

Cid: Screw you guys, I’m gonna make my own nation, with blackjackEquality and hookersPeace

That is the goal of the Odin guy, so I doubt that's gonna be Clive's angle

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That also seems like it wouldn't be practical since new Dominants would still pop up elsewhere after the current ones died, and it only takes one to gently caress up the balance of power and lead to mass destruction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was not expecting the UI to be the part of this game that I hate. They got all this negative space on screen at all times, but they won't spend a single pixel of it on increasing the font size? I can read it, but it's the principle of the thing. HDTV has been a thing for 20 years, and developers are still loving this up? gently caress you!

Does this demo have a feedback form?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

I was not expecting the UI to be the part of this game that I hate. They got all this negative space on screen at all times, but they won't spend a single pixel of it on increasing the font size? I can read it, but it's the principle of the thing. HDTV has been a thing for 20 years, and developers are still loving this up? gently caress you!

Does this demo have a feedback form?

The best way to contact Square is to insert your $70 into the PS5 at the end of the demo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
We are all 7 days and 3.5 hours from playing this game in full.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Here is my tinfoil hat.

Was Dion anywhere mentioned in the prologue? What if that isn't the name he was born with?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is there any place selling the game for less than 90+ canadian dollars? Cause that price is ridiculous.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there any place selling the game for less than 90+ canadian dollars? Cause that price is ridiculous.

Nope, that’s just games now. At least Canada doesn’t have it as bad as Australia

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I haven't preordered a ps5 game yet. Do games unlock at midnight in each region by region or is it all at like midnight pst?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RatHat posted:

Nope, that’s just games now. At least Canada doesn’t have it as bad as Australia

The federal minimum wage in Australia is like $8 an hour higher than Canada

E: FFXVI is $90 at JB

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 15, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
In my experience it can vary sometimes but usually it’s midnight EST. I am usually able to play stuff starting at 9PM PST

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The demo unlocked at a specific time shared worldwide as opposed to per-timezone so I have the feeling that the main game will be the same.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Shoehead posted:

I haven't preordered a ps5 game yet. Do games unlock at midnight in each region by region or is it all at like midnight pst?

It unlocks midnight eastern time. So 9pm Wednesday for the wbest coast.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I really like Joshua and I hope I get to see more of him soon

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like how everyone instead of quippy one liners and taunts just yells gently caress all the time like they're too pissed off to say anything else.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bobjr posted:

I do like how everyone instead of quippy one liners and taunts just yells gently caress all the time like they're too pissed off to say anything else.

“gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress” is the most real line in the entire franchise.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's definitely quips and one-liners after Cid shows up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

It unlocks midnight eastern time. So 9pm Wednesday for the wbest coast.

Halfway through my workday on Thurs for me then at GMT +8. I didn't take time off to play, oh well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the gamers are dyin, clive.

you gonna stand there and pretend you can't hear the gamers cryin out in pain?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People are predicting stuff like ancient futuristic civilisations and stuff but I think the devs have said they wanted to get away from the 'everything is Allagans' of FF14 and the way they had a scifi super-civilisation that did stuff like make space satellites that contain eikons.

There's definitely some ancient civilisations floating around though, based on the location that Ifrit and Phoenix fought.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Halfway through my workday on Thurs for me then at GMT +8. I didn't take time off to play, oh well.

Meanwhile my job is just about to enter a massive two week crunch period with long hours during the week and maybe some weekend work through the rest of the month. Perfect timing. :negative:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the gamers are dyin, clive.

you gonna stand there and pretend you can't hear the gamers cryin out in pain?
This game really is loving up a lot of streamers lmao. The tears meter is already approaching Shadowbringers/Endwalker levels and we are only at the demo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There is explicitly an ancient fallen civilization called "The Fallen". You can see the ruins and robots in trailers and screenshots.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tekne posted:

This game really is loving up a lot of streamers lmao. The tears meter is already approaching Shadowbringers/Endwalker levels and we are only at the demo.

It helps that Clive’s final voiced lines in the prologue are incredibly well acted.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

What’s the button for the Active Time Lore? I must have missed the demo part that mentioned it and I didn’t see it in the controls, but I was kind of blitzing through the demo to get it all in one night.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

epic weed mom posted:

What’s the button for the Active Time Lore? I must have missed the demo part that mentioned it and I didn’t see it in the controls, but I was kind of blitzing through the demo to get it all in one night.

Pause during a cutscene then hit the center button.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can also just hold down the touch pad whenever, no need to pause first

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Thanks. Game rules; all the control schemes feel a little unintuitive in parts, but the default was starting to click by the end. It feels like the endgame builds are going to be absolutely nuts, and I hope the game maintains coherence once you’re zipping around in a constant state of fiery midair explosive attack

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Tekne posted:

Like, they're dying? It didn't seem that tough, but I did die once at the end of the big boss battle right at the end, he managed to get off the super explosion before I got him to 0 health, that was a proper game over.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

redreader posted:

Like, they're dying? It didn't seem that tough, but I did die once at the end of the big boss battle right at the end, he managed to get off the super explosion before I got him to 0 health, that was a proper game over.

They’re talking about emotional responses to the story not struggling with fights.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Enjoyed the demo. I have some quibbles here and there, but nothing serious. I do wonder how to tell my ranking after a battle? Did I just miss that?

Also, the default control scheme feels weird and wrong. Gonna try the other setups when I get off work. I hear style B puts dodge on O, which is my biggest complaint.

Never played a DMC style game before. So much stuff I'm reading about is complete Greek to me. None of the accessories really help, I just don't understand combos and how to find them or know when to use what. Dodging, parries, and how to get magic burst is simple enough, I wanna know how some people are getting these huge combos going and getting massive airtime.

I guess I should play it less like a Souls game lol

On story stuff: I really hope Clive isn't actually Ifrit when Joshua dies. That honestly feels a little too grim for grimness' sake. I think it'd be fine if Joshua is secretly alive, though? And he is the Phoenix... I just like the little dude, he's great.

I do really like most of the characters. The Duchess is properly hateable, Benedikta seems like a solid antagonist as well. Most of this is too early yet, but it really feels very well done. I just hope the occasional theory I've seen that this is set in the XIV universe doesn't come to pass, but luckily that seems like it's mostly driven by people wanting to see Ascians in every hooded dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Active time lore is the funniest goddamn thing they could have called it