Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

TheCenturion posted:

Of course, it's so simple!

What a lovely post. I literally gave 4 (5?) examples of former car cities that made the choice to change and you come in with this crap.

Because yes, it is in fact simple. Very simple. Proper urban design and planning is not a mystery, multiple of the cities I listed have released in-depth handbooks on how to design properly. They have created advocacy and consulting organizations that any municipality can contact for visits and discussions. They have 50+ years experience of doing this stuff.

The only reason our Canadian cities are like they are is because our various levels of government refuse to do it. We redo our roads all the time and just have to add reconfiguration in when we do that instead of rebuilding them the exact same way. Ottawa (and I assume other places) is already doing this somewhat where some roads have been reduced to single lane with cycle tracks when they were due for maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Well it's really not so simple. You need to consider the political realities of the situation unique to Canada. Before we can have infrastructure more suitable for pedestrian, cyclist, and transit users, we need to convince the voting public that it is in their best interest to give up their cars so that we can start re-shaping our existing infrastructure. If you think it's an important issue I'd suggest you join some sort of advocacy group to raise awareness and let democracy have it's say. Currently people are happy with the way things are, so you can't really say that it's wrong.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZShakespeare posted:

Currently people are happy with the way things are, so you can't really say that it's wrong.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I've decided not to become a UCP doomer or flee Alberta. Instead, I'm gonna become the kind of smug prick who says "I told you so" everytime health care goes to poo poo. I think it'll come naturally to me.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fidelitious posted:

The only reason our Canadian cities are like they are is because our various levels of government refuse to do it voters refuse to elect individuals to government that will do it.

Fixed for you.

ZShakespeare posted:

Well it's really not so simple. You need to consider the political realities of the situation unique to Canada. Before we can have infrastructure more suitable for pedestrian, cyclist, and transit users, we need to convince the voting public that it is in their best interest to give up their cars so that we can start re-shaping our existing infrastructure. If you think it's an important issue I'd suggest you join some sort of advocacy group to raise awareness and let democracy have it's say. Currently people are happy with the way things are, so you can't really say that it's wrong.

The place to start is at the local municipal level. They are simultaneously the elections that generate the highest volume of civic interactions on a day to day basis that govern the lives of voters yet ate also the elections with the lowest turnout in Canada at sub 40% engagement. It is also the elections in which the average citizen can actually participate in and win without a massive war chest in funds or go through the brutal process of being nominated by a political party.

Also you don't convince people to give up cars. Thats putting the cart in front of the horse. You will fail because the current infrastructure is laid out so you can't live without one (all due respect to the goon who did but no one is willing to live an rear end life style while vehicles still exist and make sense). You start with zoning and density. The rest will fall into place.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

MikeC posted:

Also you don't convince people to give up cars. Thats putting the cart in front of the horse. You will fail because the current infrastructure is laid out so you can't live without one (all due respect to the goon who did but no one is willing to live an rear end life style while vehicles still exist and make sense). You start with zoning and density. The rest will fall into place.

I completely agree. What I meant was that the only way we can convince people to give up their cars is to give them better alternatives.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Albino Squirrel posted:

I've decided not to become a UCP doomer or flee Alberta. Instead, I'm gonna become the kind of smug prick who says "I told you so" everytime health care goes to poo poo. I think it'll come naturally to me.

The problem is that in Manitoba at least, when you have a badly sick relative who waits for three days in hospital in a former staff lounge with five other people, the smugness of being able to say "I told you so" wears off too fast to be fun anymore.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MikeC posted:

You will fail because the current infrastructure is laid out so you can't live without one (all due respect to the goon who did but no one is willing to live an rear end life style while vehicles still exist and make sense).

As previously posted, 28% of Toronto households don't have a car (2016) and 17% of Canadians don't either (the commissioner of the study is suspect, but 15% seems reasonable).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

With any luck that number will hit 50% and they'll be able to elect a government that supports their lifestyle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Conveniently, you can elect majority governments with around 30% of the vote, so things are looking good!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's been a ton more car-free developments going up or getting approved in Victoria. There's massive demand for it, every public hearing has lineups of people coming up to say they don't have a car and would love to buy something that doesn't have the cost of parking forced on them. But every time there's also comments that "no one really can live without a car" and "Oh a car free condo building, I guess they expect people to pay their mortgages without being able to drive to their jobs??"

I've always found it funny the contrast between the actual existing car free people living totally fine lives and happily snapping up these units vs the people who act like it's this impossible new idea that will never catch on so the buildings should be illegal.

Cars are loving expensive to buy and even more expensive to keep on the road. With housing costs the way they are a lot of people are having to choose between one or the other. In a city like Victoria this is a very real option for a lot of people, specially with the whole ebike revolution. I know a few families with kids who don't have cars, they just have a small fleet of bikes and a big cargo e-bike and they love it. Even the fanciest electric bakfiets costs nothing compared to even a used car.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I mean telling people they have to live in shoebox condos and learn to code so that they don't have to drive to their jobs isn't exactly a recipe for success. This sort of pie-in-the-sky utopianism is flagrantly unserious.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The cost to insure a vehicle here in Toronto is usurious. OTOH, I pay $50-$100 a month via Presto for transit across the GTA, this manages to get me to and from job sites in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, and occasionally outlying areas.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Cities like to pretend that they'll expand public transit when people use it more, but it is obvious to anyone who has ever used it in a poorly funded city that it has to be the other way around.

They shouldn't let transit executives or city council members own cars imo.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Adenoid Dan posted:

I have been saying this for years.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The instability of modern employment works against reducing car ownership, unfortunately. Changing employers or an employer moving locations can make it very difficult for someone relying on transit to adapt.

This has happened recently to coworkers of mine, after years of working in Toronto their jobs relocated to outside the city and they had to get vehicles. Ironically this happened because a large part of the staff went to WFH and the company disposed of extra office space.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

The instability of modern employment works against reducing car ownership, unfortunately. Changing employers or an employer moving locations can make it very difficult for someone relying on transit to adapt.

This has happened recently to coworkers of mine, after years of working in Toronto their jobs relocated to outside the city and they had to get vehicles. Ironically this happened because a large part of the staff went to WFH and the company disposed of extra office space.

Housing insecurity is a problem as well. You can't move closer to a different job when it would double your rent.

It's almost like we created the dumbest loving society we possibly could by ignoring easily solvable problems until they became full blown crises that will involve a massive long term investment to fix and as such no short-term government will ever touch them.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Cities like to pretend that they'll expand public transit when people use it more, but it is obvious to anyone who has ever used it in a poorly funded city that it has to be the other way around.

Halifax is a good example of this. Packed busses but no real meaningful expansion of public transit (unless you count some new bus lanes).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Little aside about cars and jobs but if the job you're hiring for requires that the applicant owns a car, you should, instead, have to provide the car.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

That’s ridiculous. If you can’t afford a car you should get a better job.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

greatBigJerk posted:

Halifax is a good example of this. Packed busses but no real meaningful expansion of public transit (unless you count some new bus lanes).

Yup! I recently quit a job that was making everyone commute out to the rear end end of Burnside. The city used to have multiple busses out that way but they changed it to just one bus that only comes every hour and is always late. Just a punishing commute. Halifax’s public transit is complete garbage. Halifax overall is a pretty mean spirited city.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Fidelitious posted:

What a lovely post. I literally gave 4 (5?) examples of former car cities that made the choice to change and you come in with this crap.

Because yes, it is in fact simple. Very simple. Proper urban design and planning is not a mystery, multiple of the cities I listed have released in-depth handbooks on how to design properly. They have created advocacy and consulting organizations that any municipality can contact for visits and discussions. They have 50+ years experience of doing this stuff.

The only reason our Canadian cities are like they are is because our various levels of government refuse to do it. We redo our roads all the time and just have to add reconfiguration in when we do that instead of rebuilding them the exact same way. Ottawa (and I assume other places) is already doing this somewhat where some roads have been reduced to single lane with cycle tracks when they were due for maintenance.

I work in this field and this is accurate. Every year cities are digging up old sewers/water mains. You can put the street back together however you want afterwards and the cost is more or less the same. Similarly, huge amounts of road are being repaved yearly and you can easily change up the line paint while you're at it to narrow/remove lanes, remove parking, add painted bike lanes, etc. In Ottawa most of the bicycle infrastructure these days is implemented "for free" through these regular renewals rather than the capital projects driven by the active transportation planners. You just need to change the policies and have the political will to stand firm when people rage about losing on-street parking.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Entering this car chat late to add that Winnipeg sucks at everything including transit and building properly, and is currently going to spend a billion dollars on new roads despite having no money. Also the few times the city decides to build things correctly, the province appointed Municipal Board denies development because our province also sucks.

So yeah, at least you’re not in Winnipeg.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wippersnapper posted:

at least you’re not in Winnipeg.

My daily affirmation

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OK, but who do people in Winnipeg look down on?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

People in Winnipeg. It's non-Euclidean

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
We look down on people in Saskatchewan but I’m not sure it’s valid.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
One Great City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Mad Hamish posted:

Pretty much everyone but BC and maybe the maritimes and territories

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's a really good song.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Winnipeg Jr (Thunder Bay)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mad Hamish posted:

The unfortunate answer is the native population

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Religious nutters keep leaving religious propaganda in my mailbox. Would it be wrong to buy a statue of Baphomet to out outside my house with a sign saying that any further religious propaganda will result in more satanic imagery being put on display?

That's how this works, right? You use scarecrows to keep away crows, statues of demons to keep away evangelicals?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

stab posted:

The unfortunate answer is the native population

As someone who works with indigenous people, yeah. It's this unfortunately.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

i'm not too late to share this classic!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrD-OYuEkyY

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mad Hamish posted:

People from Winnipeg look down on Regina, while rural Manitobans look down on godless Torontonians. Toronto only exists as a concept for them because most of them have a panic attack if there are more than 12 people around them at any given time (except at church), especially if one or more of those 12 people has a slightly different skin tone, so it's not like any of them would ever go there but they've heard that Justin Trudeau might be from there so ...

EDIT -- whoever said the local indigenous population is, sadly, right on the money

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 15, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Since switching to a rural postal box I get zero junk mail. No one cares enough to give trailer people anything. Not 1 flyer or coupon in the 9 months I've been here.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Perspective of Vancouver / its suburbs: I think people raised with cars have a difficulty imagining any other lifestyle despite it being absolutely achievable in much of the MetroVan area.

I used to drive, realized budget wise if I moved to the area I kept driving for leisure anyways and tried to get a job there I could get a better apartment in a more desirable are and come out actually spending way less money due to all the costs associated with car maintenance that I no longer have to pay.

I’m way healthier, less stressed and I have many friends who have done exactly the same thing. Some own cars just to go camping, most use ride share when they have to move heavy poo poo.

And no, I don’t think people like to have cars other than to be able to do road trips. Or at least car drivers will never shut the gently caress up about traffic and commute times.

I think the solutions are a combination of what has been said: aggressively density with the right kind of infrastructure and don’t listen to the suburban people who want a say in how your city is built, just because they work downtown. We need to virtually eliminate private vehicles in major cities if we want a chance to get through climate change. So ignore the exurbs they can drive, whatever. Get the majority living in nice dense areas served with public transit and hella bike lanes.

Too bad Vancouver’s mayor is a corrupt puppet for developers and also caters to car-addicted losers (who live in a city where the alternatives rock).

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The local NDP candidate for the Westmount-NDG by-election setting up a campaign office in a defunct lingerie store amuses me because I am 5.

NDP: Embrace your curves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God, this specter of Wab Kinew's past will never be shaken, eh? Just a "dirty indian who can never get better". gently caress this province - rot.