Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Nothus posted:

Major crop failures in the west combined with another lost growing season in Ukraine seems bad

it's fine most of the food we produce is destined to be trashed anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
If things get dire, at least ending the historical aberration of having giant quantities of meat with every meal would allow sufficient food even with significant declines of ag output. Of course we’ll blow past the point where the world can be fed even with plants only.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

cat botherer posted:

If things get dire, at least ending the historical aberration of having giant quantities of meat with every meal would allow sufficient food even with significant declines of ag output. Of course we’ll blow past the point where the world can be fed even with plants only.

Going without meat? Impossible. We should just figure out which groups of people don't deserve to live instead

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Spaced God posted:

Going without meat? Impossible. We should just figure out which groups of people don't deserve to live instead
we start with the plump and meaty, solve two problems at once

World Famous W has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Jun 14, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

this post made me so mad I ate 3 steaks

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

ok but like… that zero isn’t absolute zero so maybe just redefine the y axis? then everyone can get on with their lives in peace. this ain’t that hard folks, take a class on data viz

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Spaced God posted:

a new meat source! two birds with one stone

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

World Famous W posted:

we start with the plump and meaty, solve two problems at once

motherfucker

I should probably have read ahead at least 1 post lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Koirhor posted:

this post made me so mad I ate 3 steaks

For every three steaks you eat I'm going to eat nine

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I can cause as many real actual emissions now as I want because I promise I'm going to avoid even worse emissions in the future, which actually means I'm doing good by emitting a lot now.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Microplastics posted:

For every three steaks you eat I'm going to eat nine

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lol

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

actionjackson posted:

AQIs around 175 here in the Twin Cities ugh

my lungs hurt just going outside

Get better lungs

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

<3

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Trabisnikof posted:

I can cause as many real actual emissions now as I want because I promise I'm going to avoid even worse emissions in the future, which actually means I'm doing good by emitting a lot now.

Yeast, I'm releasing as much ethanol I can now but I promise to reduce this in the future.

Narrator: And the yeast was true to his word, for he and the multitudes produced so much that they all died.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just a Moron posted:

Get better lungs

the sun is really orange

just waiting for it to go down so I can hang with Dracula

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Still been wanting a famine thread to go with the war and pestilence threads

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Spaced God posted:

good news! this is exactly what the free market is great at, and best of all it does it automatically without any single person or organization to direct the blame at, therefore it's not famine or murder, it's just efficient resource allocation

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

how flexible is the cattle industry? like if there are food shortages, but the US is fine, and the price of grain goes up, corn is gonna get rerouted out of the country rather than fed to cows at some point. and the cost of beef will go up etc.

but its not like you can kill off 90% of the herd cause itd take so long to build it back to full capacity right? it looks like cows have a 9 month gestation and generally have one calf, so thats not a crazy fast doubling rate

i guess my point is theres probably significant financial incentive to keep the cattle herd size a pretty high fraction of what it is currently, beyond the cost of the meat itself, that will be acting against the welfare of human beings not starving even farther beyond what would have guessed previously

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I'm gonna have to fight a cow for a corn cob at some point in my life

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

celadon posted:

how flexible is the cattle industry? like if there are food shortages, but the US is fine, and the price of grain goes up, corn is gonna get rerouted out of the country rather than fed to cows at some point. and the cost of beef will go up etc.

but its not like you can kill off 90% of the herd cause itd take so long to build it back to full capacity right? it looks like cows have a 9 month gestation and generally have one calf, so thats not a crazy fast doubling rate

i guess my point is theres probably significant financial incentive to keep the cattle herd size a pretty high fraction of what it is currently, beyond the cost of the meat itself, that will be acting against the welfare of human beings not starving even farther beyond what would have guessed previously

Alberta ranchers are going to sell their cattle instead of letting them starve this year. Its not looking good so everything is on schedule.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Ham Cheeks posted:

all of it, the town is literally on fire and people are evacuating

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire town

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

celadon posted:

Nah I think it’s more that since milk cows must keep calving there’s always more calves (and milk cows are worth keep feeding)

They do have to kill off 90% of the herd for disease or heat reasons already.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Just a Moron posted:

I'm gonna have to fight a cow for a corn cob at some point in my life

Pro-tip: simply push the cow and it will slide away (assuming the cow is spherical and frictionless and in a vacuum)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Blowdryer posted:

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire town

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i think my poops on average are probably worse than other peoples

im doing my part

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i think my poops on average are probably worse than other peoples

im doing my part

you come at the king you best not miss

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cromulent_Chill posted:

Alberta ranchers are going to sell their cattle instead of letting them starve this year. Its not looking good so everything is on schedule.
so what you're saying is meat will be cheap this year, score!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

ikanreed posted:

Still been wanting a famine thread to go with the war and pestilence threads

isnt that the doomsday econ thread?

"i cant afford food" is what modern-day famine looks like

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

we're at 250 now lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

AQIs around 175 here in the Twin Cities ugh

my lungs hurt just going outside

you should wear a respirator. like, try to protect yourself from a hazard

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tuyop posted:

you should wear a respirator. like, try to protect yourself from a hazard

yeah i will next time

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
definitely been something watching every major city get their big AQI doses

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

hey Apples weather app is showing a little news widget telling me about the bad air quality in my area. the apps are adapting

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cat botherer posted:

I posted in this thread years ago that the US will let African children starve before one cow goes hungry. I believe the famine in the Horn of Africa has proven me right, and things are only going to get worse.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Chamale posted:

I posted in this thread years ago that the US will let African children starve before one cow goes hungry. I believe the famine in the Horn of Africa has proven me right, and things are only going to get worse.

bruh it’ll let American children starve just because, much less denying a cow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Defeatist nonsense rationalizing inaction

Whoever remains will just recreate the problem

The off switch is revolutionary change