Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mrmcd posted:

Wasn't this a strategy in the old Daggerfall game from like 1995? They made a big deal about having a HUGE MAP and I vaguely remember one of the things you could do it travel to a backwater provence, take out a huge loan, and then gently caress off forever with the money. If you ever went back to that section of the map your creditors would send assassins to murder you but the map was so big you didn't have to.

Yeah, High Rock has like 80 (e: 41 lol) provinces (e: maybe counties, since technically High Rock is a "province" itself) and only like 10 are involved in the story in any way. Each of them has entirely independent banks from the others. If you want to break the economy of the game you can go borrow a giant pile of money as soon as you leave the starting dungeon, then just never come back to the province you borrowed it from.

Of course, if you just play the game normally you pretty quickly end up at the point where you can clear a dungeon over and over until your horse+cart are loaded down, then go sell it all at any old lovely pawn shop which mysteriously has the tens of thousands of gold everything is worth. Rinse and repeat and you can have a house + ship well before you're high enough level to actually beat the game.

The second part is why TES games from Morrowind onward have a limited currency supply on each vendor - even if Almalexia's soul in the Star of Azura is "worth" 15 million gold or whatever you can't break the economy with it alone because no shopkeeper is capable of giving you more than 10k.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I always thought it was interesting that you don't need a license to fly an airplane (specifically ultralights, if you're wondering), but you do need one to fly a balloon.

but, do you need a license to fly a lawn chair?

(this is Lawnchair Larry for the curious)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Haven't heard anything about NFTs in a while wonder what's happening?

It seems they found a needlessly involved way to...give anonymous strangers money over the internet at usurious rates!

https://twitter.com/cirrusnft/status/1669064880949985280

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

quote:

If they default? The lender can use the NFTs to redeem the watches

Uh… how exactly?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They'd simply exchange the tokens for something of equal value

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sounds like they would repo the watches but probably in reality you receive the appraised value?

Dumb solution looking from a problem as always

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Scratch Monkey posted:

Uh… how exactly?

the nft part is useless extra cruft

the borrower gave their watches to a crypto-branded pawn broker named "4k protocol" in exchange for some money in their digital wallet. if they don't pay it back, someone else can pay the money to the pawn broker and get the watch. all of this could easily be done without nfts or cryptocurrency, and in fact is done all the time in the real world

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’ve never used a pawn broker, but I always thought you ate a substantial immediate loss by pawning something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

rjmccall posted:

I’ve never used a pawn broker, but I always thought you ate a substantial immediate loss by pawning something.

You do.

They basically give you 15% of the item's value in cash and they either keep the item if you don't pay them back or you come back and pay whatever you borrowed + interest within 30 days.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

rjmccall posted:

AIUI you have a certain number of weeks to either buy it back with X% interest or pay the interest and extend the loan some extra number of weeks. Otherwise your collateral is forfeit and they put it out for sale.

But the loan value offered is always gonna be substantially lower than what the shop owner thinks they can resell it for because unsurprisingly a huge number of people don't come back to repay the loan, and they have a whole bunch of operating costs for running the shop plus a desire for a predatory profit margin. On the other side, people who want to sell valuable second hand items and don't have extremely urgent short term cash flow problems with zero available credit generally don't use pawn shops.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

It seems they found a needlessly involved way to...give anonymous strangers money over the internet at usurious rates!

There’s always more and it’s always stupider

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Guest2553 posted:

That's pawning. He pawned them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"look at this purely on chain transaction, which necessitates a physical escrow" lmao

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It's like a pawn shop in every meaningful way, but even dumber. I'm impressed.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mrmcd posted:

AIUI you have a certain number of weeks to either buy it back with X% interest or pay the interest and extend the loan some extra number of weeks. Otherwise your collateral is forfeit and they put it out for sale.

But the loan value offered is always gonna be substantially lower than what the shop owner thinks they can resell it for because unsurprisingly a huge number of people don't come back to repay the loan, and they have a whole bunch of operating costs for running the shop plus a desire for a predatory profit margin. On the other side, people who want to sell valuable second hand items and don't have extremely urgent short term cash flow problems with zero available credit generally don't use pawn shops.

If you are shopping, pawn shops often have some really good deals on tools and musical instruments. You just have to push past the aura of tragedy behind every item on the shelf.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You used to be able to get some ripping deals on vintage audio gear as well but those days are mostly behind us.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Back in 18th century Denmark, the government ran a public pawn shop called "Assistenshuset" (The House of Assistance), officially as a public service to the poor, but they paid so little that profit margins were enormous. To protect this racket, the state granted itself a monopoly on offering loans based on personal property as collateral.

However, the loans paid were such a small percentage of the value of the items that a thriving industry of private pawn shops arose, allowing people to pawn their Assistenshus receipts for more money - the monopoly law did not prohibit using receipts as collateral. For example, say you pawn a ten-dollar item and receive three dollars in return. Now you have a receipt allowing you to redeem a ten-dollar item for three-dollars, giving the receipt a theoretical value of seven dollars. You then pawn that at a private pawn shop for another three dollars. If you don't pay back that loan, the private pawn shop redeems the original item for three dollars, making a net profit of four dollars.

As a matter of fact, Niels Heidenreich, the man who stole the famous Golden Horns of Gallehus started his criminal career by counterfeiting Assistenshus receipts. The penalty for counterfeiting legal tender was death, but the state did not give a poo poo if someone made fake receipts to scam private pawn shops evading the state monopoly.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that none of this required NFTs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Miami's "Bitcoin Mayor" is running for President on a cryptocurrency platform.

quote:

During the coronavirus pandemic, Miami – also called "Magic City – drew an exodus of tech workers from Silicon Valley and New York. Several crypto firms relocated there permanently.

quote:

During my campaign, I will be highlighting Bitcoin's democratizing impact on the future of wealth for every American.

quote:

His platform will highlight his focus on cryptocurrency as Mayor. He has examined ways to accept taxes and pay municipal employees in the currency. He also announced MiamiCoin (MIA), built on the Bitcoin adjacent blockchain, Stacks, which he hoped could someday pay a recurring BTC stimulus to Miami citizens.

quote:

By 2022, MIA had shed roughly 95% of its value from an all-time high of around 5 cents eight months earlier, according to data from CoinMarketCap. In March, crypto exchange OKCoin suspended the trading of MIA – and a second city coin, NYCCoin – citing limited liquidity as the reason for the decision.

In a 2022 CoinDesk interview, Suarez said that despite MIA's struggles, he remained a believer in crypto. "People ask me the same thing about bitcoin, the fact that it's lost more than 50% of its value, but that doesn't change my feelings about the fundamental technology," Suarez said.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1669093253629485061
https://twitter.com/FrancisSuarez/status/1669319236949352453

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

interesting that he is asking people to donate in United States currency

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bitcoiners will be a delightful new addition to the gop primary.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

There is no way this guy is serious about running and has created a blatant cash grab that will mysteriously disappear in a rugpull of some kind, as is tradition with butts.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cacafuego posted:

There is no way this guy is serious about running and has created a blatant cash grab that will mysteriously disappear in a rugpull of some kind, as is tradition with butts.

Creating a new channel through which crypto types can hand him bribes donations does seem pretty GWM on his part, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potato Salad posted:

"look at this purely on chain transaction, which necessitates a physical escrow" lmao
"And how exactly does the NFT prove that the watches exist?"
"It's an NFT"
"How do you know the two actual physical watches are in the possession of the person the NFT says they are?"
"It's an NFT"
"What is the mechanism that ties the NFT to two actual physical watches?"
"It's an NFT"
"How do you know the person minting the NFT didn't just lie?"
"It's an NFT"

I stopped writing here because I was going for humorous exaggeration but realised this is literally how such a conversation would go.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I suppose it could go either way:

Accidentally bought a cemetery, now what?

quote:

After review my attorney does confirm we own it. Statement I never imagined saying, "We own a cemetery."

Now what...

Before I go into the below... we do find his fairly comical and at the moment not to stressed about it but for sure wondering what does this actually mean for us?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Owning a cemetery seems pretty GWM - I mean, people are literally dying to get in!

:dadjoke:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Depending on where he is that could actually be a windfall. I'd be willing to bet he could find an existing cemetery to sell that lot off to as a remote location. Might not make a ton off it, but easier to deal with that than leaving it to rot (hah) or trying to figure out how to de-cemetery it for other use.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

That’s the fourth Republican running for president living in Florida that I’ve heard about, dang.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Folks will do anything to get out of that state I suppose

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

If you are shopping, pawn shops often have some really good deals on tools and musical instruments. You just have to push past the aura of tragedy behind every item on the shelf.

My experience has been that they're cheap lovely tools, and cheap lovely musical instruments. Only thing I've found worthwhile in pawn shops is guns.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depending on where he is that could actually be a windfall. I'd be willing to bet he could find an existing cemetery to sell that lot off to as a remote location. Might not make a ton off it, but easier to deal with that than leaving it to rot (hah) or trying to figure out how to de-cemetery it for other use.

Or you can do what Greenlawn Cemetery did with their Oddfellows section and just kinda ignore it, bulldoze the markers to the edge of the lot, and grow flowers on top: https://oddfellowscemeterycolma.org/odd-fellows-cemetery-colma/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got a pretty fancy midi controller & sequencer from a pawnshop for a ridiculously low price this year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I remember a movie where they built a bunch of houses on an old cemetery, but I can't remember the outcome. I'm sure it was fine.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cerekk posted:

interesting that he is asking people to donate in United States currency

Using blockchain currency to track political donations/bribes might be the only good use for it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Guest2553 posted:

https://twitter.com/furiousanger/status/1669078916219260929

lmao

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Using blockchain currency to track political donations/bribes might be the only good use for it.

My industry came up with a good use for a blockchain: verifying the authenticity of pharmaceuticals. The whole chain from manufacturing to patient can be verified at any point. And yes, counterfeit and improperly shipped medicine was enough of a problem that it was worth creating an industry-wide solution. The cold-chain data being available is of particular interest to me, my very first validated project in Pharma involved cell culture shipments that had to be kept to under -160C and us being able to prove to the FDA that they were, so there's some regulatory value to this as well.

https://www.ibm.com/blockchain/resources/transparent-supply/pharma/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats a db. thats a solution for a db

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah there's a billion pre-crypto authentication solutions in existence within the medical and pharmaceutical industries already aren't there? Sounds like they were being implemented sloppily if there are industry wide concerns

No way they decided to finally tackle/fix this problem in 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

IBM has been trying to push blockchain for supply chain for at least a half-decade now, and none of their projects have resulted in anything more than glorified tech demos. The problem is that there is no advantage to using the blockchain system over just having a QR code on the box that reports back to the manufacturers DB when scanned. The fact that IBM’s blockchain department still exists is proof that sometimes little idiosyncratic departments can live on in a giant company purely through old hype inertia.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

When IBM or Accenture touch something, run.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah Accenture is absolutely hosed, I'll leave it at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

My industry came up with a good use for a blockchain: verifying the authenticity of pharmaceuticals. The whole chain from manufacturing to patient can be verified at any point. And yes, counterfeit and improperly shipped medicine was enough of a problem that it was worth creating an industry-wide solution. The cold-chain data being available is of particular interest to me, my very first validated project in Pharma involved cell culture shipments that had to be kept to under -160C and us being able to prove to the FDA that they were, so there's some regulatory value to this as well.

https://www.ibm.com/blockchain/resources/transparent-supply/pharma/

this is solving the wrong problem; you can shove bullshit data into a ~*bLoCkChAiN*~ as readily as you can a database.