Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Wheeee posted:

there's kind of a ridiculous number of affixes on gear combined with stats not rolling based on class

Stats roll based on class, try again

Which makes collecting a great set of gear harder and easier depending on class because some have a much bigger pool of possibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm leveling sorc as lightning and picking up what items I see with lucky hit, grabbed the +15% passive for lucky hit, got an aspect that's +20% lucky hit when any barrier is up. Key passive for crackling energy reduces cooldowns.

Getting Unstable Currents going twice a minute(and an aspect for 17% chance of double spells under it) and all the shock passives for stacking crit chance, stun on crit, free crackling, etc has been fun as hell. Pop currents, machine gun sparks and see dozens of spell casts filling the screen, chain lightning to mana dump. Ice Armor, Lightning Spear, Hydra. The spear gets pretty stunny at times, Ice Armor is smooth for early survival, might change Hydra out but like the multi-hit theme and all.

Enchant is CL(free CL every 3 casts) and I guess Charged Bolts for now(free bolts 40% of stuns.) I'm hoping to take this higher and it's pretty fun to see crowds perma stunned and zapped to death by a thousand sparks. Sure survival will get harder and something something arc lightning meta but hey this is what's fun to me, take some goofy looking niche looking build and try to hammer it as high as I can.

I'd laugh if this was a new meta build or something but honestly when your skill tree has like 20 parts at most and most of them operate independently of each other how many winning combos are there? And I was using Ball Lightning for a long time, tried CL and my kill speed in all situations tripled. The meta will really define itself when experimentation yields results like that.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 15, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Revitalized posted:

The feeling of chasing a treasure goblin and then proccing Execute is one of the most satisfying feelings that you never really expect.

The realization that a trail of gold you see was a treasure goblin that was activated by another player or something while you were faffing about in the menus is one of the most heartbreaking.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Good game and has a bright future. However, I do hate hitting mobs with my spirit generator for 300 damage.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Good game and has a bright future. However, I do hate hitting mobs with my spirit generator for 300 damage.

This has been and continues to be my biggest complaint with the game ever since the first closed beta.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Doomykins posted:

I'm leveling sorc as lightning and picking up what items I see with lucky hit, grabbed the +15% passive for lucky hit, got an aspect that's +20% lucky hit when any barrier is up. Key passive for crackling energy reduces cooldowns.

Getting Unstable Currents going twice a minute(and an aspect for 17% chance of double spells under it) and all the shock passives for stacking crit chance, stun on crit, free crackling, etc has been fun as hell. Pop currents, machine gun sparks and see dozens of spell casts filling the screen, chain lightning to mana dump. Ice Armor, Lightning Spear, Hydra. The spear gets pretty stunny at times, Ice Armor is smooth for early survival, might change Hydra out but like the multi-hit theme and all.

Enchant is CL(free CL every 3 casts) and I guess Charged Bolts for now(free bolts 40% of stuns.) I'm hoping to take this higher and it's pretty fun to see crowds perma stunned and zapped to death by a thousand sparks. Sure survival will get harder and something something arc lightning meta but hey this is what's fun to me, take some goofy looking niche looking build and try to hammer it as high as I can.

I'd laugh if this was a new meta build or something but honestly when your skill tree has like 20 parts at most and most of them operate independently of each other how many winning combos are there? And I was using Ball Lightning for a long time, tried CL and my kill speed in all situations tripled. The meta will really define itself when experimentation yields results like that.

running a similar build but no hydra only really hitting survivability rn mid 60s but thats just because sometimes i kinda fall asleep at a wheel so a skeleton archer or poison pool will catch me slipping every now and then and nuke like 2/3rd my health. Just now really diving into paragon board stuff though so I think I'll be fine

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

going to make a build that uses the basic skills for main damage

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Stux posted:

going to make a build that uses the basic skills for main damage

Get off the meta scrub arc lash is already a thing lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sounds good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Enjoying my necro but the screen gets awfully busy with all these skeletons etc, gonna try the other classes and probably go with the least visually intensive one lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc lash build sounds stupid on paper but once its built and you have a ton of attack speed you’re basically whipping things at light speed while everything around you explodes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does anyone know what the echo of lilith actually gives you for beating it?

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does anyone know what the echo of lilith actually gives you for beating it?

A horse made out of strawberry jam.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Just sacrifice your minions to chuck bones
at people

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2023

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Enjoying my necro but the screen gets awfully busy with all these skeletons etc, gonna try the other classes and probably go with the least visually intensive one lol

You can play without minions! But if you want the least visual noise you can get, that's bound to be barbarian.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm afraid to ask, but let's say there's a unique that defines my build... do I just have to hope it drops, and there's no guarantee it ever will, and no way to trade them?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah I gave up Necro at level 50 because minions are way undertuned and it was a nightmare for my bf to party with me and deal with 10 minions plus all the ninja smoke bomb corpse explosions. Rerolled as Thorns Barb and it's been 100% fine for leveling and beating campaign, very clutter-free. Plus with 3 shouts and the Berserk ultimate, and the movespeed passives I can traverse the map about as fast as my Horse. No idea why some roided out gym bro is the best endurance runner in D4.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 15, 2023

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mr. Baps posted:

You can play without minions! But if you want the least visual noise you can get, that's bound to be barbarian.

I did muck about with that and I love your bonuses and book of the dead system but it felt, I dunno, very un-necro

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I felt lonely playing classes other than necro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Necro has to raise skeletons for company because he has no other friends.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
(while eating a whole party sized bag of fritos by themselves) so would you agree that diablo 4 is only played by chuds who support blizzard and donald trump?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Doomykins posted:

I think I found an aspect in my inventory (might have been on a unique) that also gave a free currents cast chance on bolts, which only struck me as funny because it was sitting right next to one that gave free bolts on current, which seemed like it'd combine with talents and a few other aspects to be a wrecking ball. Whether or not that helps with single target I have nfi and without sets gearing up to a new build is hell, so it'll forever remain theoretical on my side.

Re: Lucky Hit in general - this is gonna take a huge nerf as more people push up to 70 and start getting like 50%+ lucky hit boost. I'm a convert from the normal builds I see (use Nova for vulnerable, CDR is everything, etc) for shards and have gone down the Vulnerable+Freeze chance on cold path for pure ice shards with nova being more of a defensive thing. It's not great as I'm only 60 and haven't stacked as much LH% as I should have, but each upgrade just makes it more and more ridiculous. As a bonus, unlike with nova, the enemies don't pre-empt the frozen status instantly with melee stuns so you spend more time damaging and don't have to forfeit two seconds every time you freeze. LH% sustains mana, barrier (which is more LH), damage, crit for more damage, cc, vulnerability, and aoe just pressing one drat button.

It is still super dumb that you suffer for hundreds of hours of game time for a build to come online and knowing it'll probably be nerfed soon ain't a great feeling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mr. Baps posted:

playing without minions is absurdly good

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

this game has been rock solid for me until tonight, i've had two CTDs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i cant believe an arpg would be about building power by putting together a build over a period of time and not being instantly god like the second you hit end game

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The balance is off though, running NMs for a hundred hours loving sucks

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The game has been out for 8 days, maybe 12 if you paid extra.

What have you been doing that you have spent 100 hours already doing dungeons?

Or how many hours of streams did you watch to make this call?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

playing without minions is absurdly good

for me to poop on

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Necro is the only class with a shield so IMO it is acceptable to build a necro as essentially a dark paladin and sacrifice your minions to do so.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

satanic splash-back posted:

The game has been out for 8 days, maybe 12 if you paid extra.

What have you been doing that you have spent 100 hours already doing dungeons?

Or how many hours of streams did you watch to make this call?

you know you can extrapolate from the pace of leveling right? it takes a ton of time to get both levels and to grind up glyphs, way past the rate where it feels rewarding

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

i much prefer greater rifts, or better yet baal runs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just got the unique gloves that turn my CE explosions into exploding skeletons so now I got even more skeleton buddies running around

I also don't think I need to use any other skills anymore

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I got bored of NM dungeons after doing them for two days straight. Rolled a new character and the fun train is back. Definitely not for everyone, and it'll get better as the game grows, like any other ARPG ever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Had two uniques drop within 20 minutes of each other! They were the same one. Ice heart Brais :shepicide:

This NM dungeon did get me a lvl 5 key so that’s nice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just got the unique gloves that turn my CE explosions into exploding skeletons so now I got even more skeleton buddies running around

It's good, but frankly it kind of peaks around lvl 60 or so. Trying to transition off of that is part of what burned me out on my necro.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you know you can extrapolate from the pace of leveling right?

no, you cant.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Do you need to beat the campaign to get these? Every legendary I get is for blood or bone skills which I haven’t been using.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

claim: it takes 100 hours of nightmare dungeons to make a good build
reality: a good build starts curving power so rapidly you run dungeons 20+ levels higher than you

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

meta builds win once again

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's good, but frankly it kind of peaks around lvl 60 or so. Trying to transition off of that is part of what burned me out on my necro.

Nooo I’m like level 58

I have been resigning myself to having to move to hone skills at some point I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you can get CE up to like level 11 or 12 and the blighted ones stack stupid damage. can def make a ce build scale fine.