Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hockenheim posted:

Suggesting a J70 is good for anything but spending a lot of money on (bad) OD racing is bold.

A J22 however, is a reasonable suggestion.

J/70s seem to have hit the bottom of the depreciation curve, and are holding their value, so that's something. They're also awesome daysailers

J/22 is a great boat too but the giant traditional keel makes for a unwieldy, tall trailer, difficult to trailer launch. If it lives in an estuary or lake full time then that's less of a problem

J/24 is another decent(ish) option but I don't love them, they're goofy looking (no windows) and the cockpit isn't designed for daysailing

J/80 is another great boat (big brother to the J/70) but holy hell for the number built there just aren't any on the market ever, and they want $30g for a 20+ yo boat unless you want the one hell blasted boat for $15k that's gonna need 10k in work. The J/80 is also notably the largest boat J boats makes that doesn't have a plumbed head. You can jump up to the J/92 which is basically a J/80 that can (and has) sailed to hawaii and has a pump head, for about the same price (when you can find one). J/92 is also the largest J boat that you can hoist with a 5 ton crane which seems to be the limit for most smaller marinas that have them

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Gonna do the (hopefully) majority of the work on my big lithium upgrade this weekend.

3xVictron 330Ah SmartLithium batteries and all the Victron fixin's to go with it.

I honestly think the uninstall of the existing Lead-Acid house bank and such may be more work than the install, at least on a physical level...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kenshin posted:

I honestly think the uninstall of the existing Lead-Acid house bank and such may be more work than the install, at least on a physical level...

Get help hauling that loving ballast out of your boat. It would be a drat shame to gently caress your back right at the start of the season :v:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wibla posted:

Get help hauling that loving ballast out of your boat. It would be a drat shame to gently caress your back right at the start of the season :v:
Thankfully I have several friends helping me! But yeah those are gonna be a chore to move.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Gonna do the (hopefully) majority of the work on my big lithium upgrade this weekend.

3xVictron 330Ah SmartLithium batteries and all the Victron fixin's to go with it.

Lithium was a game changer. I'm excited for you!!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Trailering isn't a thing for me since I don't have a driveway, but saving some ducats on mooring and wintering is always welcome.

First year or two just trips around Lake Ontario, eventually as far as Niagara and Kingston. Maybe dipping into Erie. Taking friends and family for a day sail and maybe a game of D&D. In a decade I'd get a different boat for ocean stuff (that the wife won't be joining me for so I wanna get good at soloing). It's gotta be comfortable enough to nap in/on, at least.

I have nothing against smaller boats but everything that catches my eye at a decent price point has been in the 30ish range and built in the 70s/early 80s.

I don’t know how tall you are but I’m 6’2” and more miserable than I thought I would be not being able to stand up straight in my cabin with the pop top down (Catalina 25). I put up with it for the ability to trailer it once in a while, but if you’re not trailering it, go stand in whatever you’re interested in and make sure you can stand comfortably.

Or maybe standing up straight isn’t as important to other people but I’m old.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
re: first boat: folkboat or bust, imo

doesn't matter which variant, even the wooden ones are fine but in that case you'd better be prepared

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You can gently caress in a J70 cabin if your repertoire begins and ends with missionary.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Removing all those lead-acid batteries was quite an effort today but we got the uninstall of the old electricals done and the new batteries fit with room to spare in the battery compartment, which is a big relief even though I measured it beforehand :v:

Tomorrow I'll finish installing and doing the setup.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hadlock posted:

1000' is the "there's a good chance it'll either dissolve or float away from other people" totally not a real rule, hadlock rule of thumb
:stare:

wesleywillis posted:

Sounds more like the Hadlock rule of poo poo.
:hmmyes:

Hadlock posted:

To be fair that could be applied to most of my advice on these here forums
:hfive:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Things are up and running! I'm not finished yet entirely but I have 120v AC and 12v DC power enabled again in the boat, and I'm charging the three batteries one by one before I attach them all in parallel. Two are done, I'll do the third in the morning since I'm exhausted, but I've even got remote monitoring running through the Cerbo GX.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Things are up and running! I'm not finished yet entirely but I have 120v AC and 12v DC power enabled again in the boat, and I'm charging the three batteries one by one before I attach them all in parallel. Two are done, I'll do the third in the morning since I'm exhausted, but I've even got remote monitoring running through the Cerbo GX.

:hfive:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I finally got my free Sunfish out on the water after getting it around September 2021. I was told by the PO it had sat on the side of his garage for around 20 years not getting used. I ended up revarnishing the dagger board, tiller, and rudder. Repainted the bottom since the PO's sloppy paint job was flaking off. Moved the mainsheet block and made a backing plate to support it and the lip of the cockpit where it was previously (needs a crack repaired later on). Lastly I got a line kit and some 1.7mm dyneema for the sail ties.

There are more improvements to do but it was pretty motivating to finally sail it. The first thing I'm going to do is replace the old tiller extension with a rubber U joint and a cut down ski pole I got from goodwill. The stock one was pretty terrible to use. I also have to install the hiking strap I got, cut the old seized up metal bailer out, install the new bailer, and install a deck plate so I can check the foam out and find whatever chunk of wood is banging around in there.

I got some decent video with my gopro on the end of the boom. This was out on the Columbia river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBXx7IwSqcQ

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I spotted this over in the osha thread and thought of this thread.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Supradog posted:

I spotted this over in the osha thread and thought of this thread.

:stare::stare::stare:

They're doing thunderboat poo poo in a wooden ski boat. I didnt see any restraints, life jackets, or helmets. Literally if anything goes wrong, they're dead

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

People have been putting too big engines in fjordlings for 50 years but boy... that's a new level

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That much power in that size boat isn't uncommon, but that hull was not designed for that.

Speaking of LS powered boats, did anyone ever figure out why the original batch of LS-1 powered Malibu ski boats from the late 90s all had their engines blow up? I've heard that they figured out what the problem was, but never what the problem was.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah they are a stiff cross breeze or unmarked swimmer (or maybe just a well placed duck) away from doing an 80mph barrel roll. Instant death. Looks like fun though

Tangentially related, I have a 5.3L chrysler straight 8 sitting in the side yard of some goon in socal right now, waiting to be picked up, same engine as this. I guess in addition to putting them in New Yorkers and Imperials in the 30s and 40s they also were used in marine applications, and even powered air raid sirens up and down the west coast. I probably paid too much for it, but it's pretty rare to see an inline 8 (not 6) for sale that still runs as none have been manufactured since ~'55

I was going to put it in a car but wooden speed boat seems interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08DCsH-WHk

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I saw an old racing boat at the museum in Gravenhurst that has a 3000 hp Roll Royce Griffon aircraft engine in it. Miss Canada IV. There’s a few poorly filmed videos of it running on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9I3-Fi2quk4&pp=ygUObWlzcyBjYW5hZGEgaXY%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VafEIoObQ&pp=ygUOTWlzcyBjYW5hZGEgaXY%3D

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the military always have the bigger toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIP77rlh8I&t=578s

this one is weird though, the engines (there's three of them) are italian, isotta fraschini, 18 cylinders in a W configuration, 57 liters displacement, twin turbos, sodium cooled exhaust valves and 1500 hp at 2000 rpm. gasoline, originally, but then later converted to diesel which apparently was a thing you could do, and and now they're at 1650 hp each with better fuel economy too.

the next logical step is to go to turbines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mtraBA2qA

this thing started its life as a torpedo boat but later they added some missiles on top and called it a missile boat. three rolls royce turbines with 4500 hp each. thing displaces like 250 metric tons and doesn't even plane but behaves like a MTB anyway

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

the military always have the bigger toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIP77rlh8I&t=578s

this one is weird though, the engines (there's three of them) are italian, isotta fraschini, 18 cylinders in a W configuration, 57 liters displacement, twin turbos, sodium cooled exhaust valves and 1500 hp at 2000 rpm. gasoline, originally, but then later converted to diesel which apparently was a thing you could do, and and now they're at 1650 hp each with better fuel economy too.

the next logical step is to go to turbines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mtraBA2qA

this thing started its life as a torpedo boat but later they added some missiles on top and called it a missile boat. three rolls royce turbines with 4500 hp each. thing displaces like 250 metric tons and doesn't even plane but behaves like a MTB anyway

:monocle:

Were these things intended to intercept the Caspian Sea Monster

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Last year I made this post, where I talked about going on a yachtmaster course where the practical parts were done on an ex-Swedish navy minesweeper from the 1940's. Well, I did that course together with an old friend who has always been somewhat eccentric, and the experience apparently set some wheels in motion, because this past winter he bought himself a sister ship to that minesweeper.

Well, long story short, I seem to have let myself get talked into helping out with running and maintenance. He needs a chief engineer for lazy trips around the Stockholm archipelago and I'm the only guy he knows dumb enough to even entertain the idea (I will of course not accept any financial responsibility whatsoever). So, I think I'm about to be at least a part time boss of this engine room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVknX3JGes

The two green beasts here are the main power plant, two Scania DSI 11's, 6-cylinder intercooled turbo diesels with 11 liters displacement, making 265 hp each. In addition to these there are also two Valmet auxiliary engines/gensets off on the sides (you only run one at a time; without one of the auxiliary engines running you have no steering, so there's two for redundancy).

The Scanias are of course marine converted truck engines and were installed in the last major refit the navy did in 1993. They apparently have a reputation for being reliable and they do seem to work fine but everything is at a concerning scale compared to what I'm used to. For example, doing an oil change requires 20 liters of 15W-40 mineral oil, per engine. I'm quite sure I will regret this but at least it's not my money being thrown into the ocean...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
As I slowly get ready to buy my first boat (a bunch of posts about it elsewhere in the thread), while I've got the sailing part down fine I don't really know the logistics of taking possession of one. So some super basic questions:

- I'll need to get insurance. How bad and long is the process for this? All the boats I'm looking at are like pre-1981. Is that a huge issue? Will every insurance company demand a survey be done?
- Gotta get mooring. Does this normally take a long time or, assuming the marina has room, is it some paperwork and I can pull up the next day?
- no need to register in Ontario for the size of boat I'll get, so no issue there. But does that mean I can just give the dude cash and sail away assuming the other stuff is ready to go? Or is there something like a UVIP (used vehicle information package) that has to be done?
- I'll need winter storage. Lots of boats come with trailers and cradles and that stuff. I can't trailer. Do I need a cradle? Or is that the sort of thing that's included by the storage facility?

I know what i need to meet boat equipment requirements (lights, lifesaving, bailing, etc etc), but I'm sure there's other basic logistical poo poo I'm missing. Like, I don't even know the order that the above should be done in.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Normally you swing aboard with a cutlass, make an example of the first person who resists, and sail away keeping the treasure for yourself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

1- I'll need to get insurance. How bad and long is the process for this? All the boats I'm looking at are like pre-1981. Is that a huge issue? Will every insurance company demand a survey be done?
2- Gotta get mooring. Does this normally take a long time or, assuming the marina has room, is it some paperwork and I can pull up the next day?
3- no need to register in Ontario for the size of boat I'll get, so no issue there. But does that mean I can just give the dude cash and sail away assuming the other stuff is ready to go? Or is there something like a UVIP (used vehicle information package) that has to be done?
4- I'll need winter storage. Lots of boats come with trailers and cradles and that stuff. I can't trailer. Do I need a cradle? Or is that the sort of thing that's included by the storage facility?

I know what i need to meet boat equipment requirements (lights, lifesaving, bailing, etc etc), but I'm sure there's other basic logistical poo poo I'm missing. Like, I don't even know the order that the above should be done in.

Question 0 - what kind of boat is it? what length? makes a big difference

1- Call the marina you want to keep it at and ask them what they need. They'll probably direct you to their website to download their application form that has everything. It'll probably have these two
--a. insurance for ~$350,000 usd payout, payable to the marina
--b. a recent inspection report (less common, but kind of common for boats older than 20 years old) basically they want to make sure the boat at their marina isn't a floating hulk that's ready to sink at any moment
Also for boats over a certain size/over certain age they'll require an inspection. Inspections in my area cost ~$16/ft I paid about $600, plus another $600 to have them haul the boat out for an hour at lunch so the inspector could check for problems on the hull

2- Depends on the marina. If you're trying to get a slip on the chicago waterfront, it could take decades, if you want a slip at Frank's Mosquito Swamp 20 miles away he probably has 20 half sunken slips ready to go. I've gotten slips in as little as two days in SF bay but I and my boat are a known quantity after 7 years. As a new boat owner they will probably slow walk your application especially if you don't have an inspection. Start talking to marinas now

3&4 these are location specific, no idea. Cradles are generally for sailboats > 20 ft, stuff ~25' and under just live on their trailer.

Boat equipment:

If you don't use your boat after dark you won't need lights. 12v LED lights are cheap though and you can get a bow and stern pair that run off AA batteries pretty cheap these days under $50.
You'll need a life preserver for every person on the boat, and probably at least one of those square throwables
If you're going more than an hour from the marina (or your boat is bigger than X) you'll need/want at least a $50 VHF handheld radio
Pick up a basic flare gun kit, throw it in a waterproof tackle box along with a $10 first aid kit
Pick up like, 50' of marine grade rope, you'll use it for something. If you need a tow (you will, it's a 40 year old boat) it's really embarrassing to have to borrow the other guy's rope.
Buy a 10 pack of the cheapest sunglasses on amazon. And some sunscreen. And a blender for margaritas. With those three things you have a party.
You'll need to replace the battery, just accept that and move on. You need a deep cycle battery don't cheap out on this, see two lines up
Buy at least one good fender that isn't encrusted with marina crap

edit:

I should say, if it's your first boat don't skimp on the safety equipment, accidents can happen to anyone, but as a new boat owner you're kind of the target group safety equipment rules are made for

if you want a list of safety equipment to aspire to, this is a gold standard. this is a list for ocean racing to hawaii, but gives you an idea of what you can aspire towards, or alert you to what you should prioritize to fix

https://admin.pacificcup.org/sites/default/files/PacCup2024-PCER-01-final.pdf

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 6, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hadlock posted:

If you need a tow (you will, it's a 40 year old boat) it's really embarrassing to have to borrow the other guy's rope.

Last year I put my boat in the water, drove about 500 feet then it stalled and wouldn't start up. Flagged a guy down to tow me back to the launch, and I got it to start just as he was untying his end of the rope. Didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

Boats are the best.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Some ontario specific answers (I'm on Lake Ontario)

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

- I'll need to get insurance. How bad and long is the process for this? All the boats I'm looking at are like pre-1981. Is that a huge issue? Will every insurance company demand a survey be done?

I found insurance really straightforward. Gave insurance a call, they wanted a make and model and an insurance survey (we had a recent one from the buyer and they just wanted new pictures and were happy to use that). Only other thing I had to provide was my old CANSail certificate which got us a modest discount. We get insurance through Skippers plan for a 1980 27' Mirage, it's about $400.

Marinas will universally require $2 million in liability, but it's standard so you don't even really need to mention it to insurers, that's what the standard plans will have.

Note that insurance surveys and purchase surveys are different, and this is important both ways. Insurance surveys are basically "is boat seaworthy? Y/N" and that hides valuable information from you if you're looking to purchase, and a buyers survey is a lot of stuff insurance companies aren't interested in.

quote:

- Gotta get mooring. Does this normally take a long time or, assuming the marina has room, is it some paperwork and I can pull up the next day?

You may not be able to pick and choose your marina, but there are available slips on Lake Ontario if that's where you are (in my neck of the woods Newport always takes new people and I think maybe Lasalle as well). It might take a bit of searching, we had to contact 4 or 5 marinas, and they don't really have online availability - you've gotta e-mail or preferably call, and marina managers aren't always the best at responding.

quote:

- no need to register in Ontario for the size of boat I'll get, so no issue there. But does that mean I can just give the dude cash and sail away assuming the other stuff is ready to go? Or is there something like a UVIP (used vehicle information package) that has to be done?

You should write up a bill of sale just to have documentation - you can find samples online. If you ever want to go to the US it's useful to have something pointing to you actually owning the boat. It's also good to have one if there's anything you want to put as conditions - if you haven't done a sea trial or had a survey done it's absolutely standard to include those as conditions on the bill of sale.

quote:

- I'll need winter storage. Lots of boats come with trailers and cradles and that stuff. I can't trailer. Do I need a cradle? Or is that the sort of thing that's included by the storage facility?

You will need a cradle. Some marinas have their own winter storage and I'm sure they can hook you up with someone who can provide you with a cradle. For others you'll have to move the boat to a marina that does (the same thing applies, talk to the manager there and they can probably sort you out)

I've never seen anyone use those leg things that you see sometimes in Ontario, I would assume that dock crew would be annoyed with something non-standard.

Also keep in mind that if you want to wrap your boat (you should), get that sorted pretty early (you don't need to now, but early september) .

quote:

Your #1 priority should be finding a slip. All the other requirements will either come out of that process, or would be something that the staff at the marina would be happy to help you with.

The post above covered safety stuff pretty well, but TBH if you have your pleasure craft operator's card their recommendations are fine to go with.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 6, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Last year I put my boat in the water, drove about 500 feet then it stalled and wouldn't start up. Flagged a guy down to tow me back to the launch, and I got it to start just as he was untying his end of the rope. Didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

Side note, we were sailing (upwind, against the current) out the houston ship channel towards Harvest Moon Regatta (140 mile one way coastal race between galveston and the outskirts of corpus christi) , everybody was about two+ beers deep, and this last minute crew addition we picked up was telling us his best topless sorority girls dancing on the bar story and the captain* was so enamored with the story forgot to watch the depth meter and we hit the shoal on the south side of the channel they warned us about at the skippers meeting the night before. Probably stuck the keel a good foot or two in the mud. We were stuck.

Anyways turns out we had three ~8' sections of dock line, and a 20' section of 1/8" line. We had no rope to tow us off the shoal. The 19' powerboat that offered to help us out had a 50' section of floating nylon water skiing rope (test rated to about 30 lbs), which we promptly broke. Some larger, much better equipped boat gave the power boat, and they towed us off with that. We had to find the skipper at the finish line party, return his rope to him, and bought his whole crew a round a drinks. 50' of 3/8" line would have been much cheaper, and saved us half an hour of pounding on the shoal.

*actually not me

enki42 posted:

we had to contact 4 or 5 marinas, and they don't really have online availability - you've gotta e-mail or preferably call, and marina managers aren't always the best at responding.

Marina staff are a whole different part of society. They are part amusment ride operator, part three pack a day smokers, part craftiest person you've ever met, and a whole lot part not at all qualified for office work. Frank's Mosquito Swamp 20 miles away is a real marina near Stockton, CA, maybe some day I'll tell that story. It hailed on a clear July day in California. A lot. I have pictures.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

As I slowly get ready to buy my first boat (a bunch of posts about it elsewhere in the thread), while I've got the sailing part down fine I don't really know the logistics of taking possession of one. So some super basic questions:

I'm in ottawa but have sailed on lake ontario & the st. lawrence as well.

Insurance: Contact Skippers Plan, they're great. I pay <400CAD/year for my 24ft sailboat, and it's only that expensive 'cause I'm racing, and that's for $2M liability.

Mooring - will depend on where you are. Call around, see what your options are and what they require. In ottawa I was able to get a slip for the following season, in Brockville it was an 8-10 year wait at the club or a 3-4 year wait at the City harbour.

Write yourself a bill of sale, but otherwise no documentation needed. Your biggest challenge will be finding a slip. Your boat will likely come with a cradle, but ask the current owner.

Hadlock posted:

Pick up like, 50' of marine grade rope, you'll use it for something. If you need a tow (you will, it's a 40 year old boat) it's really embarrassing to have to borrow the other guy's rope.

Given that it's a sailboat I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a line of some kind on board that could be used to tow!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm also on Lake Ontario, near the OP in fact.

Even though I'm a new boat owner I can probably answer a few questions too.

I didn't need a marine survey, but my boat was brand new. My broker, the one that I use for my condo and 2 vehicles filled out most of the poo poo. based on what I told him and all he really needed was the boat equivalent of a car's VIN, serial number for the trailer and engine info etc. It probably took a couple business days.

The marina wanted to know the particulars of the boat (Boat 'vin', registration number etc) and proof of insurance.

So what happened in my particular case starting last fall:

I emailed the people from the city run harbor facilities and was all like "I hear there's a waiting list. Based on *right now* how long of a wait is there? And I will of course keep in mind that *right now* is different from (whenever I buy a boat which might be) next year or whatever the gently caress"**.

**Not what I actually said but you get the idea.

The response was, "depending on the size of boat it might be a few years, or you might apply this year and get in this year."

In my case I've got a truck and could trailer it to and from the launch if necessary, but would have had to rent a spot at a storage facility.

When I finally pulled the trigger(January of this year), I emailed the harbor people and told them to put me on the list. I went to their office, filled out the appropriate paper work including the length, beam and draft of the boat and was told they go through the list in February and they'd call/email if I made the cut.

A few weeks later (February) they emailed and said "we have a spot available, but you need to make your decision by (date that was like 3-4 days after they emailed). We will require payment in full, proof of insurance (2 million liability) and ownership, etc....."

At that point all I had was money. No ownership as I had only put down the deposit and no insurance.

I asked if they'd accept just the payment and I'd get the other poo poo asap but they declined. So I had to get my rear end in gear and get poo poo done. It didn't happen by the time the few days were up, but I emailed back a couple weeks later and asked if they still had availability. They did and so I asked if they'd hold it for me till March 1st, which they did and I was able to get enough poo poo together by then to get the spot.

I guess the point of all that rambling is, you might need to actually own the boat so you know all the specs before you can apply and if you don't have a way to trailer it/move it to and from the dock or launch then it might sit for a while before you can use it. But theres lots of marinas along lake Ontario in the GTA that you might find something within a reasonable drive.

FWIW, the cost for my slip is something like 75$ per foot + 5$ per foot for "harbour improvement fee" +(~)25$ fee for the local rescue force guys, +tax for an unserviced dock. If you want power and water, then its about 85ish per foot plus the other fees. People from out of town pay a higher fee per foot. Just FYI.
For an extra fee (180+ tax) they also have stored my trailer for the season. If I want to take my boat out and go to a different lake I get one "pull" (they bring my trailer out of storage) for free, and after that its like 70 bucks or something per "pull". The trailer is stored off site somewhere.

Winter storage, the marina will store it for me. I think they charge by the sq/ft for storage. I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or just get a parking spot at a storage facility and wrap the thing in a couple tarps.

Not trying to brag or whatever, but having it docked is fuckin sweet because I can take it out for a quick one after work if I want. If I had it off the water I'd probably only have taken the fuckin thing out like 3 times.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 6, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

Not trying to brag or whatever, but having it docked is fuckin sweet because I can take it out for a quick one after work if I want. If I had it off the water I'd probably only have taken the fuckin thing out like 3 times.

Back in the 90s my dad used to get his boat hitched up, go to work in another car, then come home on his lunch break so he could put the boat in and go tool around for a while until it was time to go back to work. It was a tiny private boat launch for people in his neighborhood and he would just leave his trailer on the ramp until he saw someone pull into the lot.

They have a rule against parking on the ramp now and I joke that it's because of him (in reality, he was pretty good at keeping an eye on things to see if he needed to go park).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Given that it's a sailboat I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a line of some kind on board that could be used to tow!

Yeah it was weird. There were jib and main halyards in the mast, but the main sheet is a weird short thing over the companionway, and the jib sheets were short half sheets. And then 100' of oversized rusty chain nobody wanted to deal with

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

FWIW, the cost for my slip is something like 75$ per foot + 5$ per foot for "harbour improvement fee" +(~)25$ fee for the local rescue force guys, +tax for an unserviced dock. If you want power and water, then its about 85ish per foot plus the other fees. People from out of town pay a higher fee per foot. Just FYI.
For an extra fee (180+ tax) they also have stored my trailer for the season. If I want to take my boat out and go to a different lake I get one "pull" (they bring my trailer out of storage) for free, and after that its like 70 bucks or something per "pull". The trailer is stored off site somewhere.

Winter storage, the marina will store it for me. I think they charge by the sq/ft for storage. I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or just get a parking spot at a storage facility and wrap the thing in a couple tarps.

drat that's pricy as gently caress, up in Ottawa it's like 43?ish per foot for a finger dock. And having a slip is absolutely wonderful, we'd barely use it if I needed to crane it in every time (though the club has cranes I can use).

I will also say that I'm just back from a really weird race night. Started with wind from the south, it shifted about 130 degrees and basically died (3 knts of wind) right before the start, so they reset the line and started us anyway. About 45 minutes into the *first* upwind leg they shortened the course, so we just had to get around the windward mark and then float our way back. Five minutes after that, the wind went from 1 gusting 3 knts to 28 gusting 40knts. We had the 180 genoa up and class rules for our boat do not allow reef points on our main. Might be the first time I've surfed our boat upwind - we were managing 7.5 knts, hull speed is about 6kts. Once we rounded, we decided not to launch the spinnaker (I wanted to, my wife on the helm overruled me which was probably the right call) and managed 9+ knts down wind on just the main & genoa.

Hell of a weird race. Washed our winches, saw the keel on a J80, saw a viper 640 go from people sitting on the low side and the boat completely flat to basically entirely out of the water. Very fun.

What sucked was coming back to the harbor in a mess of giant boats going quickly in that wind with 3-5' waves coming right at my beam (that's the channel, no other option!). In my boat, you take the outboard off the transom when racing. It was not fun getting it back on. And the waves were large enough that my extra long shaft (30"+) was popping entirely out of the water. Got cut off by a C&C27 who rounded the corner entering the harbour, cutting me off to do so, and then slammed it into reverse because... I dunno? So I was sandwiched between him and 4 boats coming in quickly, with rocks on one side and boats on the other, my boat at a dead stop, getting thrown around by waves. I lost all steerage when stopped, couldn't reverse because of other boats, couldn't go forwards. After much yelling the C&C27 finally realized the situation and got on the gas, but why the gently caress they stopped when it was clear ahead I'll never know. Watch what you're doing coming into the harbour please everyone. Personally I'm never going into the harbour in that much of a mess ever again. Happy to circle around and just avoid the mess next time.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Another thing like marina slips is that there's officially what is available, and then what's available if you're known to the marina manager and not a dick. We had to keep our boat in the marina we were stored at (that did not have slips available officially) for a few weeks due to a mess up where our actual reserved slip was located, and when that ended up falling through completely, magically a spot opened up on the waiting list.

Basically prioritize being old fashioned and actually talking to people, even going down there wouldn't hurt if they know you're coming ahead of time.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

As a socially anxious goon I can confirm that if you can convince the harbormaster you’re not going to be a pain in the rear end you are at the top of the list, they have enough weirdos to deal with, and that is most easily done in-person. Think of it like a gym membership, they want people with autopay that never show up, convince them that is you.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Thanks for the good advice y'all, I'm in the process of sweet-talking the nice old lady working a nearby town's marinas (the one I live in is being run into the ground and I don't have much faith in it) to get a good spot on the waitlist. As expected, I can't get a slip until I have the boat, so that's gonna throw a wrench into things, but it's not insurmountable.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I was going through some old rear end pictures and found this unlucky schmuck I saw while going past a boat launch:

I'm assuming they powerloaded onto the trailer and then forgot to attach the winch strap...right next to the big yellow out of focus sign that says not to drive onto your trailer because it damages the ramp. Makes me feel better about the couple times I've forgotten to put the outdrive up and dragged the skeg up the pavement at least.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well that was fun. Distance race in 25knts sustained, with gusts into the 40's. Saw 15knts of boat speed under spinnaker till it ripped (sail tape to the rescue) and 10knts up wind on a close reach. Hull speed of my boat is 5.5-6knts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I know approximately where you're located, so I don't know if you want to drive all the way to Stoney Creek, but Newport Yacht Club has slips available.
https://newport-ycsc.com/membership/

Going that direction is kind of a pain in the dick in the afternoon on the QEW, and the Eastport bridge has lane reductions for a few months. And the next several weeks, the Skyway going in that direction is also going to be closed Saturday nights. Mornings traffic is usually good though unless theres an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I know approximately where you're located, so I don't know if you want to drive all the way to Stoney Creek, but Newport Yacht Club has slips available.
https://newport-ycsc.com/membership/

Going that direction is kind of a pain in the dick in the afternoon on the QEW, and the Eastport bridge has lane reductions for a few months. And the next several weeks, the Skyway going in that direction is also going to be closed Saturday nights. Mornings traffic is usually good though unless theres an accident.

Oakville is closer to me and they have slips available too. Now it's just been an adventure finding the right boat. One that I really like hasn't had a survey done in forever, which the insurance company obviously didn't like, and the seller said I can do one after buying it. Not exactly a good sales pitch.

There's a couple of very affordable smallish boats that would be great for learning on but they're really biased towards racing and I really do want things like standing headroom. I might not get one until the off-season.