Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
All I know about Cinderella III is that it redeems one of the sisters and gives the Prince an actual personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQrEUZDJCk

Draga fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I always had a soft spot for Lion King 2 following up the first movie's "Hamlet with cartoon animals" and being "Romeo and Juliet with cartoon animals"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have a soft spot for the Aladdin sequels and TV series. Now that's something I don't think anyone sane has done, watching all the Disney movie tie-in series.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have a soft spot for the Aladdin sequels and TV series. Now that's something I don't think anyone sane has done, watching all the Disney movie tie-in series.

nearly everyone who was underage in the 90s did this.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Whilst I did watch the Aladdin and Herc shows as a kid, I was too young to remember much about them now. I'm more familiar with the Lilo & Stich show and Emperor's New School/

Also the Tarzan show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Tangled series is rather good. Possibly great.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Draga posted:

Whilst I did watch the Aladdin and Herc shows as a kid, I was too young to remember much about them now.

Yeah I know I watched both but my memory is extremely vague. That said I'm going to posit they were not very good or at least not all that notable because this was around the same time I was also watching stuff like Hey Arnold, Pete & Pete, etc and I remember those extremely vividly despite having been a whippersnapper.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Sydin posted:

Yeah I know I watched both but my memory is extremely vague. That said I'm going to posit they were not very good or at least not all that notable because this was around the same time I was also watching stuff like Hey Arnold, Pete & Pete, etc and I remember those extremely vividly despite having been a whippersnapper.

What little I do remember of them I enjoyed but I was a Cartoon Network kid until I was like 11 so I was more into Dexter's Lab, Ed Edd 'n' Eddy and Powerpuff Girls

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Now that's something I don't think anyone sane has done, watching all the Disney movie tie-in series.

quinton in the corner taking notes

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Disney sequel chat reminds me of the Laura Crone video on the Swan Princess sequels. 1 hour of mediocre-to-hideous animation and a 20 minute detour about the Gospel of Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saM3afhPfO8

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Draga posted:

Whilst I did watch the Aladdin and Herc shows as a kid, I was too young to remember much about them now. I'm more familiar with the Lilo & Stich show and Emperor's New School/

Also the Tarzan show.

Oh right, Hercules had a show, and I recall that show and Aladdin had a crossover. I wonder how that idea came about.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm kind of still shocked that The Swan Princess got as many sequels as it did. I remember falling down that rabbit hole after seeing a booth for one of it's more recent CGI sequels that aren't even about Odette anymore, they're about her daughter. I think Swan Princess is one of the more interesting direct-to-dvd franchises that I can think of. One of my other favorite Musical Youtubers talked about a couple of them and they are...well, they're direct-to-dvd!

(note: she was having trouble keeping these vids up on youtube for a lot of reasons so the link to the actual video is in the video description)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sk-xIaUsnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuYoNi9H2hY

Musical Hell is also a great account if you're looking for videos that aren't super long that talk about Musical theater and their various movie adaptations. Her Descendants videos are really good but I highly recommend her Love Never Dies video, the Phantom of The Opera sequel; a sequel so bad it actively made me have to sit there and think whether or not I actually liked the original show or not (spoiler: I still do! Love Never Dies is just bafflingly bad!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Un7kg7WUno

Edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot Yuri Lowenthall was the screenwriter on both of those movies :eyepop: He also voices Derek

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 15, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Happy Landfill posted:

Musical Hell is also a great account if you're looking for videos that aren't super long that talk about Musical theater and their various movie adaptations. Her Descendants videos are really good but I highly recommend her Love Never Dies video, the Phantom of The Opera sequel; a sequel so bad it actively made me have to sit there and think whether or not I actually liked the original show or not (spoiler: I still do! Love Never Dies is just bafflingly bad!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Un7kg7WUno

I watched the entire video and I'm still confused on how and why this exists. Who wants a sequel that says, actually, everything in the original was wrong and the opposite should have happened. Surely even Phantom/Christine shippers would feel patronized.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

mycot posted:

I watched the entire video and I'm still confused on how and why this exists. Who wants a sequel that says, actually, everything in the original was wrong and the opposite should have happened. Surely even Phantom/Christine shippers would feel patronized.

Lindsey Ellis's last youtube video goes in to the history of this show a bit more, but just know that this wasn't a, "oh, what the hell, let's make a sequel to Phantom, my most beloved show," this thing was in the works, off and on, for 20 years. It wasn't an accident. They genuinely wanted this to be successful

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 15, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mix. posted:

quinton in the corner taking notes

Quinton, voice barely breaking a monotone: "And then from out of nowhere comes a new figure on the water. Sebastian the Lobster proclaims it to be Ursula's crazy sister."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The ghost of youtube has decided to float this to the surface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwrPTiOKgMI

An extremely deep cut into the history of a surf map.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Lola Sebastian made a video about James Franco's adaptation of The Sound and the Fury.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plik21DkJz4

New Thew has him coin the phrase "pure violence gremlin" which I am going to make a point to introduce into my lexicon.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In today's episode of It Came From the Algorithm, I bring you,

The Saga of Leon the Lobster!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Schwarzwald posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plik21DkJz4

New Thew has him coin the phrase "pure violence gremlin" which I am going to make a point to introduce into my lexicon.

This person is way too British and loud for me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXqXgGHRNkc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anti-click field

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Dude almost certainly understood none of the actual plot or themes, if he actually played it at all. He called Evrart "The owner of the shipping company " and Joyce "This lady".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Sardonik posted:

Dude almost certainly understood none of the actual plot or themes, if he actually played it at all. He called Evrart "The owner of the shipping company " and Joyce "This lady".

People not understanding the plot or themes of Disco Elysium is par for course, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I agree with the title based on the existence of The Pale alone.

I refuse to watch the video however

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
DE videos are great because so many of them are people trying to approach its ideology and themes with video game youtube essayist brain which is like, possibly the worst way you could try to engage with the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I like how both Big Joel and Schaffrillas put out videos going over every Disney sequel just weeks apart from each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU_7fm4XJ6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KecGR0xuNs

I'm still a big fan of Lindsey's Disney sequel videos from...2012, I think? They're such interesting movies to talk about because they're so creatively bankrupt from their inception where the bad ones are just shockingly bad and the good ones are best described as Least Bad. Every single one has at least one scene where they recreate the most iconic shot from the original with worse animation and lacking the emotional weight that made the original good

edit: oh god, and the songs are significantly worse

I've seen Mulan 2 as one of the worst examples of completely missing the point of the original, but then it got dethroned by the live action re-make.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Draga posted:

All I know about Cinderella III is that it redeems one of the sisters and gives the Prince an actual personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQrEUZDJCk

Which was set by the second movie, as BigJoel pointed out.

Sydin posted:

DE videos are great because so many of them are people trying to approach its ideology and themes with video game youtube essayist brain which is like, possibly the worst way you could try to engage with the game.

I'll make fun of that one essay that didn't clearly understand Klaasje's character which also featured a segment on how the Sunday Friend sucked. Ok if you tried to understand what horseshit SF was talking about, didn't you get that he was also there to locate her so she can be disappeared by the MoralIntern for potential corporate espionage. You can totally gather this from just talking with her on the roof without getting compromised by Volition. How didn't you get that during making a 1 hour video about it that made you made cutesy cartoons for.

Also... the final guy? Yes, you can totally sympathize with the trauma of having to hide on that one island for years while the mainland gets taken over the MoralIntern with bomber ships ready to blitz the people there into smithereens, but you know WHAT ELSE you can see there? The giant bug thing with antideluvian foresight and pheromones that excite and entrance not only the player character, but also the sole human that lived there for decades! He turns into a blubbering baby as soon as it leaves and happily lets you have all of the info! Stupid essay didn't even get Evrart Claire as a character! ONE HOUR OF THIS poo poo!!!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 16, 2023

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Archer666 posted:

People not understanding the plot or themes of Disco Elysium is par for course, though.

... wait really

The game beats you over the god drat head if you finish it. You'd have to go out of your loving way to not get the story when the literal ending of the game tells you what happened and explains everything about you. The only things I can imagine not getting are the things you're not supposed to, the fantastical sci-fi concepts that no one around you really understands because they're not sciencemen.

This is "wait I thought Gandalf DIED, PLOT HOLE" level of media illiteracy here

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Sydin posted:

what is youtube essayist brain? is there a particular lens that they look through things as a group that makes them fail to understand stuff? or is it just that they're blind to thematic elements in a work in general?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Impermanent posted:

what is youtube essayist brain? is there a particular lens that they look through things as a group that makes them fail to understand stuff? or is it just that they're blind to thematic elements in a work in general?

It's any number of things but one of them is failing to develop fundamentals and instead aping the work of previous youtubers who may have also aped the work of previous youtubers.

Imagine a content ouroboros.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

It's any number of things but one of them is failing to develop fundamentals and instead aping the work of previous youtubers who may have also aped the work of previous youtubers.

Imagine a content ouroboros.

yeah-- it is really obvious which essayists have a background in college level literary analysis and can do proper research and analysis and which are former fandom folks who watched a lot of YouTube.

you obviously don't need to be through college or whatever to be the former but unless they put a lot of effort into those skills it's pretty uncommon.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Impermanent posted:

I'm assuming it's referring to a specific type of analysis common in some nerd circles that treats a work of fiction as being a puzzle box to solved, usually exclusively through in-story content and without regard to the larger thematic or ideological elements of the work as a whole.

So stuff like that dumb theory that was floating around YouTube that Wendy Torrence was actually the abusive one in The Shining and all the scenes of Jack being a murderous d-bag were her hallucinations because *hrmmrm*, or videos where people try to figure out whether or not the end of Inception was still in a dream.

A more benign example of this would be something like trying to piece together the timeline of when characters were infected in John Carpenter's The Thing or arguments over what was REALLY in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

So stuff like that dumb theory that was floating around YouTube that Wendy Torrence was actually the abusive one in The Shining and all the scenes of Jack being a murderous d-bag were her hallucinations because *hrmmrm*, or videos where people try to figure out whether or not the end of Inception was still in a dream.

Wow, I finally get to see 'Daniel was the real Karate Kid villain' topped.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I always considered essayist to be a different thing than X Explained and lore head dudes. Matt Pat is probably worse for media literacy than Cinema Sins.

edit: Not sure exactly where Upisnotjump lands on that spectrum because I find their thumbnails extremely repulsive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh okay, so they meant all those obnoxious 'Well actually, every villain was actually the hero of the story' takes on things.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

To be fair this is basically Cobra Kai.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the Wendy Theory is especially stupid. Here's a video of a guy explaining all the underlying problems with this theory and ones of its ilk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBLsmZ1PNrA

I've actually been watching a bunch of that Eyebrow Cinema guy's videos lately and am surprised he doesn't get mentioned in the thread more often

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You know what DOES explain the shining? Kubrick ruining the original emotional heart and conflict of King's story. No I will not be taking questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Impermanent posted:

A generally formulaic, generally surface level type of analysis that attempts to identify, classify, separate out from one another, and then "explain" a game's mechanics, characters, themes, and story. The kind of person who says "okay now let's talk about Evrart" and then tries to dissect his dialogue for 20 minutes before coming down hard on one side of him either genuinely having good intentions for Martinaise or just being a corrupt schemer, framed as that being the intentional message of the game that just needed to be teased out of the dialogue.