Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Fresh mangosteen beats mango. :colbert:

Edit: What a fuckin' snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You are allignoring the best thing about mangoes.

Mango Thokku. Or Mango Pickle.

It's a spicy South Indisn Mango Chutney kind of thing that you can buy in any decent Indian grocery shop. I miss it so so much where i am now.

Make yourself some yoghurt rice and have a couple of tsblespoons worth of Mango Thokku by the side and then mix to personal taste, and eat it all with yourhands. Off a banana leaf if possible.

loving magnificent.

Edit: heres what it looks like:

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 13, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BrainDance posted:

Since I have only had them twice because of the previously mentioned throat closing up thing I can't speak definitively, but in that limited experience they're just fine, nothing amazing. One of those fruits that sounds like it should be great though for some ineffable reason.

The other fruit that really just sounds like it should be great but isn't, guava. I swear it's used as a flavoring in things almost entirely because people assume it's a delicious exotic fruit.

In reality it's like a mediocre apple with a meh texture and seeds in just the right way to make it annoying. I have tried many varieties at many stages of ripeness (which is a challenge because it doesn't last especially long) and theyre always very very just ok.

i'm extremely sensitive to urushiol but somehow like 95% of mangoes give me no problems. idk why if its a different regional cultivars thing or what, but perhaps it is also a ripeness thing? really ripe mangoes I've had no problems with and I say this as someone who has had incredibly bad experiences with poison oak and ivy. central american mangoes in particular give me zero problems

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 13, 2023

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

BrainDance posted:

This is what I think it is. Mango sounds fun, guava sounds exotic.

I tried this other niche fruit a couple weeks ago. It has a name in English I'm sure but it was sold to me as 鸡心黄皮果

It's the fruit of some pine tree. And that's what it tastes like, like a pine tree + a lemon with a little bit of some "funny" taste. So lemon pinesol I guess?

It wasn't bad, I actually kinda liked them, but I can absolutely see why they're not in every supermarket across the world.

I'm also all about these now which are decently common in fruit stores in China. Like a little tomatillo except sweet. They have a little bit of a vanilla flavor if you get them when they're perfectly ripe and I think they're really good.

kinda looks like loquat but smaller

for some reason my grandma had a loquat tree in the yard, this is in nz btw

further proof we're just a colony of china

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Not really sure why my preferred way to participate in the Greater (South)East Asia Co-Propserity Thread is to let several thousand posts pile up and then binge-skim all of them on a day I'm feeling under the weather, but here we are.

I don't think anyone made this at the time, so here's my contribution to the thread.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

yaffle posted:

Fresh mangosteen beats mango. :colbert:

Edit: What a fuckin' snipe

Absolutely, 100%

Fresh mangosteen (rip in piss lowtax) is incredible.

Just doesn't stay fresh long I guess

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Booty Pageant posted:

biting right into a mango???

are you not cutting it like this

i find the yellower the mango the better

you just eat the mango like an apple my dude. what you posted is crazy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
slice off a flat slice, keep the skin intact as you gently do the cross-hatch and invert a la minute

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

BrainDance posted:

This is what I think it is. Mango sounds fun, guava sounds exotic.

I tried this other niche fruit a couple weeks ago. It has a name in English I'm sure but it was sold to me as 鸡心黄皮果

It's the fruit of some pine tree. And that's what it tastes like, like a pine tree + a lemon with a little bit of some "funny" taste. So lemon pinesol I guess?

It wasn't bad, I actually kinda liked them, but I can absolutely see why they're not in every supermarket across the world.

I had these quite often when I was living in Guangzhou. Not my favorite, but pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausena_lansium

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

goblin week posted:

you just eat the mango like an apple my dude. what you posted is crazy

like when i give my white friends a mooncake and just watch them bite into it like a cake

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

stereobreadsticks posted:

I had these quite often when I was living in Guangzhou. Not my favorite, but pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausena_lansium

I guess they're not any kind of pine but goddamn do they taste like it.

At first I didn't care for them, like my very first bite because it was not at all what I was expecting. Just had a sort of Christmas tree taste to it.

But, I dunno it grew on me. It was ok. I don't think I would seek them out but I might buy them with some other fruit.

I just want to try everything. There are so many fruits out there and they're all so wildly different. I don't wanna be on my deathbed and be like "I never tried ackee!" (Which I haven't and I really need to for my try all lychees and lychee like things. But I haven't found a way to get them in China yet.)

I've included langsat (I guess?) in my lychee like fruits adventure even though it's only superficially lychee like, and they're pretty good too

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 13, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Booty Pageant posted:

like when i give my white friends a mooncake and just watch them bite into it like a cake

they ARE cakes!!!!

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

BrainDance posted:

I guess they're not any kind of pine but goddamn do they taste like it.

At first I didn't care for them, like my very first bite because it was not at all what I was expecting. Just had a sort of Christmas tree taste to it.

But, I dunno it grew on me. It was ok. I don't think I would seek them out but I might buy them with some other fruit.

I just want to try everything. There are so many fruits out there and they're all so wildly different. I don't wanna be on my deathbed and be like "I never tried ackee!" (Which I haven't and I really need to for my try all lychees and lychee like things. But I haven't found a way to get them in China yet.)

I've included langsat (I guess?) in my lychee like fruits adventure even though it's only superficially lychee like, and they're pretty good too

Maybe off topic for a thread about China but if you want to try a wide variety of fruits you need to get yourself to South America. My last long backpacking trip before I took a job in China and got stuck there for the duration of the pandemic was from Cartagena, Colombia to Lima, Peru over the course of about 3 months, there are so many new and unfamiliar fruits in Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru it was mind blowing. Closer to where you're at now, Indonesia is also a great fruit eating destination, especially if you like Durian but my favorite discovery there (and relevant to your superficially lychee-like fruits quest) is salak, or snake-fruit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salak.

stereobreadsticks fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 13, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Man, snake fruit is so good.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

McGavin posted:

Man, snake fruit is so good.

I must have had an unripe one, because it looked awesome but tasted /shrug.

Re: earlier: mango chutney is great when you're happy. Lime pickle is great when you're angry.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BrainDance posted:

Those pastries look delicious

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Those pastries look delicious

That's just shrimp and fruit my man

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I just want to hear how Meatball Ron pronounces "China." Is it like Trumq with "'Gyna!" or is it a more sniveling tone like "Cheen-ah!?:

I don't know but I'm eager to learn!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BrainDance posted:

That's just shrimp and fruit my man

sounds like you don't read enough bfc

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sounds like you don't read enough bfc

ya no idgi, sorry

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

ya no idgi, sorry

Shrimp are pastries, but not all pastries are shrimp.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It even spawned a couple of avatars.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sorry not bfc, pyf

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/food-fad-shrimp/

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

BrainDance posted:

ya no idgi, sorry
:pastryno:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Snake fruit is blech.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

oh

im so ashamed :(

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

Snake fruit is blech.

same. tried some up in sumatra and it was like all tanins. sour and mouth turned to sandpaper

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Plan R posted:

I just want to hear how Meatball Ron pronounces "China." Is it like Trumq with "'Gyna!" or is it a more sniveling tone like "Cheen-ah!?:

I don't know but I'm eager to learn!

Can't go wrong with a good "Choina".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Atopian posted:

Re: earlier: mango chutney is great when you're happy. Lime pickle is great when you're angry.

lime pickle is great especially to eat by itself with a roti or paratha, but honestly i'm gonna put my vote in for regular old mixed pickle. The chunks of lotus root are rock-hard bullshit, but the mango and especially the carrot are worth the price of admission. I wish they'd take the pits out of the mango instead of chopping it whole & leaving big shards like a Chinese chicken dish, but I suppose that's just part of ~the experience~

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

pickle rules

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

The chunks of lotus root are rock-hard bullshit, but the mango and especially the carrot are worth the price of admission. I wish they'd take the pits out of the mango instead of chopping it whole & leaving big shards like a Chinese chicken dish, but I suppose that's just part of ~the experience~

You're not really selling it here.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McGavin posted:

You're not really selling it here.

more pickle for me, i guess.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
eddim, you promised me a grandchild before you'd dance like that again

e, wrong thread

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's spreading

https://twitter.com/NST_Online/status/1662352916630437889

https://twitter.com/brianhioe/status/1669085743522652160

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just why

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Why not? I'd give it a crack for sure.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

no why

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
You must consume.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I am assured durian fish soup complements surprisingly well, although I have not had the opportunity to try it myself. Bittergourd is a regular feature of these clear fish soups so it's plausible.

So potentially durian tonkotsu would work also - not that I have seen ramen served with Japanese bitter melon as such.

Maybe a miso soup would be better?

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I kind of like durian as a pizza topping (which kind of makes me think I spent too much time in China), I could see it working with ramen.