Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
One of my first thoughts was "if you define life in microaggressions, Germany is probably not for you"

Then immediately followed by "hell, neither is Korea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Haha, next duty station: Fort Liberty, welcome to Fayetteville. Enjoy your stay.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This person was happy in Korea and wasn't happy in Germany. Might be happy in the US. Don't really understand everyone's pushback, it's conceivable that she's right a bunch of old Germans are rude to a person of color who doesn't know the language well enough for their tastes. :shrug:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

germans have a word for everything

except microaggression, which is translated as mikroaggression, because the concept of what it means to them is just 'being german'

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

She also complained about the price of gas which is kinda lol as well.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

quote:

In-person shopping takes forever because there aren't big-box stores, and online purchases — excluding Amazon — take up to a week to arrive.

quote:

Germany offers cuisines from other cultures, but it's nothing like the Asian or Mexican dishes I grew up with.

Wahhhhh this place is not exactly like my home

I had a buddy with a wife like this. Took her to an amazing Greek restaurant in the town we lived in, she bitched that they didn't have an English menu and that they didn't have burgers. gently caress her and every single idiot like her. She at least had the excuse of being a 20 year old who had never lived anywhere besides Watertown, NY

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Do department stores not count? I remember KaDeWe in Berlin being loving awesome

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Do department stores not count? I remember KaDeWe in Berlin being loving awesome

She’s not in Berlin so there’s clearly nothing like that anywhere near her.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GD_American posted:

Wahhhhh this place is not exactly like my home

I had a buddy with a wife like this. Took her to an amazing Greek restaurant in the town we lived in, she bitched that they didn't have an English menu and that they didn't have burgers. gently caress her and every single idiot like her. She at least had the excuse of being a 20 year old who had never lived anywhere besides Watertown, NY

Ah, Ft. Drum. Heard good things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I spent a weekend in Freising in 2012 and it was great. I spent an afternoon just sitting at a table off the town square reading books and drinking beer. Loved it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ehh, being not-white is deffo hard mode when navigating moves. There are large swaths of places I wouldn't go to because that race amplifies the standard culture shock issues, especially when kids are involved. This applies to places both domestic and oconus now, too! Thanks, America!

The stuff in the 'muh gas prices' vein is :laffo: tho.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Online orders take a week to arrive, the horror…the horror…

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
These all seem to indicate that her husband dragged her to some base in the middle of asswards nowhere where the older racists live and where things are expensive while also not having decent public transportation or convenience you'd get in a reasonable metropolitan area.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So just write “the vibes are bad”. We all get that. Places and situations that don’t have anything overtly wrong about them, but just do not feel comfortable.

Dralun
May 22, 2012
Her town is like 5 miles from Ramstein, Landstuhl, and Kaiserslautern. K-town used to be called little America. Does she just refuse to leave her village?

Mexican food is super hard to find, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dralun posted:

Her town is like 5 miles from Ramstein, Landstuhl, and Kaiserslautern. K-town used to be called little America. Does she just refuse to leave her village?

Ramstein (8,057), Landstuhl (8,356), and Kaiserslautern (99,292), not really impressive metropolises.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

GD_American posted:

Folks, I give you the Ur-Dependa.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-germany-relocation-american-move-disappointing-2023-6
I moved to Germany and regret it. I've felt unwelcome by the people, and not even the great healthcare can convince me to stay.

Vielen Dank für Ihren Service

o7

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

pmchem posted:

germans have a word for everything

except microaggression, which is translated as mikroaggression, because the concept of what it means to them is just 'being german'

makroaggression

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

GD_American posted:

Watertown, NY

oh dear god

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Absurd Alhazred posted:

These all seem to indicate that her husband dragged her to some base in the middle of asswards nowhere where the older racists live and where things are expensive while also not having decent public transportation or convenience you'd get in a reasonable metropolitan area.

It's a bit like complaining about being stuck in Reading, PA when NYC, Philadelphia, and DC are each ~2 hours away. Get on a bus, train or Ryanair and go to Frankfurt, Zürich, Köln, Luxembourg or Paris for a weekend.

I know someone who spent a couple years in Osan and through the magic of cheap regional flights went to 8 different countries on weekend trips.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Ramstein (8,057), Landstuhl (8,356), and Kaiserslautern (99,292), not really impressive metropolises.

I was just there last year for a month. Ramstien has a giant mall on base that caters to the uniformed services. It’s completely like a mall in the states. K-Town or “Kaiserslautern” has tons of shopping and a very nice mall. It’s extremely tolerant of stupid Americans. Try the coke and beer a lot of places serve. It’s better than it sounds.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dralun posted:

Euro mex is often dire, the best I've had was in a basement in old town Prague near the Charles Bridge that was run by a couple of guys from Mexico who made their own tortillas and imported the ingredients they couldn't get locally and it was pretty legit.

Edit: this joint https://fosil.cz

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 15, 2023

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Crab Dad posted:

I was just there last year for a month. Ramstien has a giant mall on base that caters to the uniformed services. It’s completely like a mall in the states. K-Town or “Kaiserslautern” has tons of shopping and a very nice mall. It’s extremely tolerant of stupid Americans. Try the coke and beer a lot of places serve. It’s better than it sounds.

I was stationed at Ramstein for 3 years in the 2000's. This story is nuts. K-town is a large city and has everything normal cities have, including big box stores (?!?). Not to mention the mega-mall on base mentioned above (they were just starting on that when I left) Everyone in the K-town area speaks English, you wouldn't have to learn a lick of German if you didn't want to and no one seemed to care if you had crappy German or not because there are so many Americans there.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Small German towns are picturesque. Take a walk on the Hauptstraße and your cares will melt away.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I get a vibe we get a lot here in Quebec that’s basically “the retail workers won’t help me practice my French!”

And it’s like, lady, I’m not your loving tutor. I have poo poo to get back to. I switched to English for a reason.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Midjack posted:

Euro mex is often dire, the best I've had was in a basement in old town Prague near the Charles Bridge that was run by a couple of guys from Mexico who made their own tortillas and imported the ingredients they couldn't get locally and it was pretty legit.

Edit: this joint https://fosil.cz

She's a travel blogger, part of travelling is embracing the local cuisine and what's good. Find the restaurants that you like! Websites exist explicitly for this purpose! I get that it's not Berlin or Frankfurt, but she would run into the same problem in any other small town in the US.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I don't remember any Germans ever asking exasperated or impatient with my lovely shopping Deutsch. Most of them seemed pleased that I was making an effort instead of pantomiming and speaking loud, over-enunciated English.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

She's a travel blogger, part of travelling is embracing the local cuisine and what's good. Find the restaurants that you like! Websites exist explicitly for this purpose! I get that it's not Berlin or Frankfurt, but she would run into the same problem in any other small town in the US.

By 'travel' she means 'all the way to the outer suburbs'.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This person was happy in Korea and wasn't happy in Germany. Might be happy in the US. Don't really understand everyone's pushback, it's conceivable that she's right a bunch of old Germans are rude to a person of color who doesn't know the language well enough for their tastes. :shrug:

This was my initial take as well. Person is POC, experienced a number of racist interactions early on, and it influenced their overall experience, tainting all subsequent experiences with bias out of defense. That's perfectly understandable.
Anti-asian racism has seen an increase since the beginning of Covid, so there's nothing to criticize regarding that aspect of her experience.

That said, there are several other issues she reports on that are not just "traditional-barricaded-in-military-dependant"-false, but outright comical.
Especially when I realized that Otterberg - which sounded like it could be in East Germany, thus possibly cementing some of her points - was literally next to Kaiserslautern.

quote:

And public transit isn't very accessible in our rural town. It feels like a lose-lose situation.

Horseshit.
You're sitting in the middle of the VRN, a well-established public-transportation network which runs 460 individual lines (bus, rail, regional-rail, express-rail) over 12,000km of connections.

You're in a small-town with a footprint of about a 1 mile diameter with 22 bus stops that are being serviced by six different transit lines.
You're 10 minutes away from the closest rail connection, buses going there run - on average - every six minutes, and it takes you about 22 minutes to be at the Kaiserslautern main train station.

quote:

online purchases — excluding Amazon — take up to a week to arrive

Again, horseshit.
Average shipping time (non-Amazon) for packages is 1-2 days inside Germany (2-3 days EU) if you're not ordering your artisanal cold-massaged matcha leaves from outside the EU.
Even over the logistical clusterfuck that Christmas shopping has become, the average only goes up to 3.8 days

quote:

Each course in the sanctioned six-course program can cost upwards of $500 apiece and requires almost as much time as a full-time job. This high cost of time and money has prevented me from learning it as quickly as I'd hoped.
In other countries, such as South Korea, state-sponsored integration programs offer language classes for free.

One more time, horseshit.
I've googled less than a minute and found no less than SIX education institutions offering language courses in Kaiserslautern, spanning every proficiency level from A1 to C2, offered in any frequency that one's heart could desire, and adaptable to anyone between a full-time-job to uneployed-and-available schedule.
There's not a single one that requires you to commit to a "full-time-job" schedule as she indicates. They range between 90 bucks (full price, not session price) and 400 bucks (again, full price for the entire 20-session course).

I'm guessing she cherry-picked the most elitist course offer from some for-profit bullshit academy, because 500 bucks PER SESSION for a six-course-program is some bullshit tailored to either a) corporations that absolutely need an employee to go from zero to WAKARIMASHTA in four weeks before sending them on a business trip or b) people that can't be asked to study a language for more than 1-2 months and expect to throw money at the problem.
And even then, if that's what you're expecting and STILL balking because uuuugh MUH SCHEDULE, the problem is you. You have 18 months in-country, pick a chill once/twice-per-week 90-minute-course over 4 months for 90 bucks you lazy idiot.

The timezone/taxes/gas-price/exotic-cuisine arguments are just absolutely magnificent :qq:-bullshit.
I love that she's comparing her situation to both South Korea AND the US simultaneously. :lol:

/edit: She plugged the article via a public LinkedIn post and commented the following:

quote:

It’s mainly our area to be honest. I’ve had pretzels, donner, and spargle of course. Also schnitzel, gluwein, rouladen, and many other German dishes. The article wasn’t written by me, so I must say it really didn’t convey as much as I would have liked it to be. It’s more about my struggles adapting in an area where many Germans don’t want us and I can completely understand that. I’ve experienced amazing people outside of this area, especially in Bavaria.

Holy poo poo :lol:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 15, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

duzzy it says she's half korean, why don't you adopt her

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh my god i'm loving dying at 'i've had many german dishes such as schnitzel'

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit: She plugged the article via a public LinkedIn post and commented the following:

Now that's how you put the fish on the table.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

If only the Germans had dishes like Korean donkatsu, breaded and fried pork.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Why did this article even get published? What value does it have to...anyone? Who is the intended audience? I feel like these are questions that should have been asked before publication.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

it drove nearly a page of lols here, plus ten billion clicks of everyone sending it to their friends

mission accomplished

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

oh my god i'm loving dying at 'i've had many german dishes such as schnitzel'

Pork knuckle is were its at.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why did this article even get published? What value does it have to...anyone? Who is the intended audience? I feel like these are questions that should have been asked before publication.

were you expecting businessinsider to be publishing nothing but hard-hitting investigative journalism scoops?

i mean they have tried to, idk, level up from pure clickbait blog territory in the last few years, but still, this aint the fuckin new yorker here

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
My boss is German and that entire review is in his inbox. To make it spicier, he served in the East German Army.

He knows stupidity from both sides of the wall.

Hoping to evoke some anger, guilt, disdain, etc. Will likely just get laughed at. Sheltered Yanks and all that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

duzzy it says she's half korean, why don't you adopt her

Counterpoint, she's also half-Karen

Also, the Schweinebauch vs. Samgyeopsal battle is a close one, but Korea takes it by the sauces/marinades IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Duzzy Funlop posted:

quote:

The article wasn’t written by me, so I must say it really didn’t convey as much as I would have liked it to be.

:thunk: