Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

yo anyone else hanging around on cadia just noticed the air is getting thinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Black Griffon posted:

yo anyone else hanging around on cadia just noticed the air is getting thinner?

Don't look up

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I need Chris Wraight to bust out at least two books on the reconstruction of Terra after the Siege

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

a lovely king posted:

In the past the ebook has become available at the same time as the special editions and hardbacks.

Still the case, but it depends a bit on the book in question.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It wasn't even that big of a change tbh, just changing it from the end of the indomitus crusade to a few years info the crusade

Pretty sure they made some noise about parts being rewritten and not just the timeline adjusted.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Is there a general agreed upon notion of when exactly the chaos gods came into being?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Time doesn’t really work for them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mikojan posted:

Is there a general agreed upon notion of when exactly the chaos gods came into being?

I'm pretty sure Slaanesh is the only one with a direct cause, effect, and time frame for their existence. It used to be stated that the other Gods were born from bullshitery done on Earth, like Tzeentch being born from the 3000IQ backstabbing and counterbackstabbing happening during the War of the Roses but that's become so nonsensical as time goes on that Trayzn has a bit in a story where he almost doubles over laughing at mankind arrogance as to assume their petty squabbles meant diddly poo poo to Chaos.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

In the grand scheme of things, they exist because they have always existed, and they came into being because they are.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The chaos Gods definitely have specific dates of birth and causal reasons for being created, and they maybe even have deaths, but they're also acausal and timeless. And have their hands in a number of different pots, since they're the same entities loving around with Warhams Fantasy and AoS. Which means we COULD see a Great Horned Rat appearance in 40k.

I'm curious about is what things are like a galaxy or two over, one that wasn't et by Tyranids. Do they have the Empyrean or are they a completely different format? Would be bleakly amusing if over in the Triangulum Galaxy you've got The Culture - all this grimdarkness so close (on universal scale) to utopia.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

I'm pretty sure Slaanesh is the only one with a direct cause, effect, and time frame for their existence. It used to be stated that the other Gods were born from bullshitery done on Earth, like Tzeentch being born from the 3000IQ backstabbing and counterbackstabbing happening during the War of the Roses but that's become so nonsensical as time goes on that Trayzn has a bit in a story where he almost doubles over laughing at mankind arrogance as to assume their petty squabbles meant diddly poo poo to Chaos.

God if it needed to be any more obvious that this was originally written by the British

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Mikojan posted:

In the older lore Khorne came into being around the 1200s due to the massive death count of the Mongol conquests. His first daemon prince was Doombreed, implied to be Gengis Khan.

Nurgle was created during the Black Death (~1350), and Tzeentch during the renaissance and enlightenment.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

humanity birthing the chaos gods is just a little silly in a galaxy where gods have used entire star systems like pocket dust in their personal duels.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The lore has always implied that humanity is uniquely psychic in the same way apparently the eldar were but most races aren't. They all are psychic to some extent but somehow the humans are special which given the fact all the races don't have an emperor equivalent seems to be true. It would be cool if the emperor was actually at fault. Like he was a one in a quadrillion chance but his emergence was so early in human history and his psychic influence was so strong that humanity is special in the warp because they've all been bathing in his psychic jizz since birth.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It mentions somewhere that even though Slaanesh came about right about when humanities golden age ended, due to the nature of the warp, when Slaanesh came into being it was simultaneously always existing.

There is no time in the warp so if a new god came into being it would also simultaneously be present in all ages.

Which is probably exactly as confusing as the warp is supposed to be.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait so if the Emperor is a warp God or a proto warp God, maybe that's why Humanity is special. From the moment of apotheosis he existed always and such reached back to grant the gift?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We will see when the next abnett book comes out, if it even answers it directly

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait so if the Emperor is a warp God or a proto warp God, maybe that's why Humanity is special. From the moment of apotheosis he existed always and such reached back to grant the gift?

He seems determined to delay the occurrence of the Dark King indefinitely; always destined, never arriving.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Stop trying to rationalize something that cannot be rationalized.

If the emperor becomes a god then he will always have been a god.

History isn’t real.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Galvanik posted:

In the older lore Khorne came into being around the 1200s due to the massive death count of the Mongol conquests. His first daemon prince was Doombreed, implied to be Gengis Khan.

Nurgle was created during the Black Death (~1350), and Tzeentch during the renaissance and enlightenment.

This always seemed almost comically parochial in comparison to the scale that 40k tries to convey, to say nothing of being overly Eurocentric. Like the only one of those that was something like a global event were the Mongol conquests, which sure, was hundreds of genocides being carried out on a continental scale, but then 40k's got the Great Crusade, which was hundreds of thousands, if not millions of genocides being carried out on a galactic scale. Why would Khorne be born out of something so miniscule in comparison?

If this is still the lore they're trying to go with, it's right up there with every planet's culture existing, at best, on the scale of a city-state, despite the premise where human civilization had existed on many of those planets, by the time of the 31st millennium, for longer than it's existed on Earth in real life.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Wow, the Fabius Bile omnibus by Josh Reynolds is excellent, though slow. One of the most enjoyable Warhammer books I've read in a while and I keep going back to certain parts to reread them. An excerpt, where our hero meets Slaanesh:

"'You have committed crimes of such monstrous elegance that even the gods themselves grow uneasy. Look - see - they sit in judgement of you.' A too-long finger drifted upwards, and Fabius followed the gesture. He looked up, and something looked down.

It was not a face, for a face was a thing of limits and angles, and what he saw had neither. It stretched as far as his eyes could see, as if it were one with the whole of the sky and the firmament above. Things that might have been eyes, or distant moons or vast constellations of stars, looked down at him, and a gash in the atmosphere twisted like a lover's smile. It studied him from an impossible distance, and he felt the sharp edge of it's gaze cut through him, layer by layer. There was pain, in that gaze, and pleasure as well. Agony and ecstasy, inextricable and inseparable."

It's a very good omnibus.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

celewign posted:

Yeah, the relationship breaking down was a real loss for the franchises.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Especially for Fantasy stuff. Josh was the driving force behind so much of that and it really shows they had no plan once he left. Has taken a while for that side of things to get any momentum at all again.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Arbite posted:

Yeah, the relationship breaking down was a real loss for the franchises.

What happened?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Disputes between him and Black Library from what I can remember, he wanted to do one thing and his editors wanted him to do other things. Might've even been some more to it, from I remember he has been somewhat candid about it on twitter in the past.
Nowadays he seems to be enjoying himself writing history books about the revolutionary war.

orphean posted:

Especially for Fantasy stuff. Josh was the driving force behind so much of that and it really shows they had no plan once he left. Has taken a while for that side of things to get any momentum at all again.

I'd still say they're very aimless, especially with how scarce the AoS releases tend to be in comparison to 40k.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cooked Auto posted:

Nowadays he seems to be enjoying himself writing history books about the revolutionary war.

Huh, no kidding? What books?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fabius Bile omnibus is like the best BL read that there is (in my opinion, because Chaos is and shall forever be my favorite faction) so of course Josh Reynolds can't be writing for them anymore.

On top of wonderful bits of prose here and there, like the one shared above, it's just fun. It's about a ludicrous bad guy doing ludicrously bad things but with consistent logic, and the cast of absolute goofballs he surrounds himself with. Like how can you not love the World Eater more interested in horticulture than violence, the Word Bearer with daemons in pokeballs, the POV Emperor's Child with his constant low-key S&M bottom train of thought, and the no-poo poo Female Chaos Space Marine (a legionary no, a CSM absolutely) who is exactly everything you would expect one to be.

The one bad thing about the omnibus is the generic static-pose art of Bile on the cover, which is a problem with a lot of BL omnibuses. Look at the original covers and look at how much fun this guy is having.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cooked Auto posted:

Disputes between him and Black Library from what I can remember, he wanted to do one thing and his editors wanted him to do other things. Might've even been some more to it, from I remember he has been somewhat candid about it on twitter in the past.

I'd still say they're very aimless, especially with how scarce the AoS releases tend to be in comparison to 40k.

He still owes us 50 more books in 8 lamentations

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Mazed posted:

Fabius Bile omnibus is like the best BL read that there is (in my opinion, because Chaos is and shall forever be my favorite faction) so of course Josh Reynolds can't be writing for them anymore.

On top of wonderful bits of prose here and there, like the one shared above, it's just fun. It's about a ludicrous bad guy doing ludicrously bad things but with consistent logic, and the cast of absolute goofballs he surrounds himself with. Like how can you not love the World Eater more interested in horticulture than violence, the Word Bearer with daemons in pokeballs, the POV Emperor's Child with his constant low-key S&M bottom train of thought, and the no-poo poo Female Chaos Space Marine (a legionary no, a CSM absolutely) who is exactly everything you would expect one to be.

The one bad thing about the omnibus is the generic static-pose art of Bile on the cover, which is a problem with a lot of BL omnibuses. Look at the original covers and look at how much fun this guy is having.

I also liked how it setup an actual Reason for Fabius being literally everywhere doing insane super villain things and mostly getting thwarted at every turn. Plus the notion he's finally ascended to a minor god as Pater Mutatis is just metal as hell.

Man I really, really enjoyed that trilogy. Seriously read it if you haven't. Great characters throughout.

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't disagree but it was Even Worse right after he left and there was just nothing at all. At least the occasional book is shoveled out now.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I can't quite remember the last time I read a Warhammer Fantasy novel, before I went all 40k, all the time. Must have been one of the early Gotrek & Felix ones or something comparably ancient.

I do however remember checking out the GW website after having not looked at anything Warhammer for probably a decade and seeing Age of Sigmar on the splash screen, and my first thought was "what the gently caress is this bullshit?"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cessna posted:

Huh, no kidding? What books?

No wait, I had him mixed up with another ex-Black Library writer in that case. It's (Dr.) Robbie MacNiven that has done Revolution War history books. :doh:
https://twitter.com/RobbieMacNiven/status/1663883590013206529

Reynolds still writes though. Most 'recently' he did Wrath of N'Kai for Arkham Horror.
https://joshuamreynolds.co.uk/works/licensed-work/

orphean posted:

I don't disagree but it was Even Worse right after he left and there was just nothing at all. At least the occasional book is shoveled out now.

Definitely won't disagree there. Reynolds and McNiven getting dropped was definitely a loss for AoS fiction.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I just realized I don't think I've ever read the third Bile book somehow.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

sharknado slashfic posted:

I just realized I don't think I've ever read the third Bile book somehow.

Oh you should, totally sticks the landing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

sucks that audible doesn't do omnibuses, which would be nice and cool for me

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Mike Brooks just killing it again with the Lion returns book. Hope he gets to write Gulliman and the Lion meeting up.

quote:

“The galaxy might call them Fallen, but I call these sons of mine the Risen.’
He extends his hand. ‘Rise, Baelor.”

:swoon:

Also can’t wait for Lion to meet up with the main Dick Angels :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

orphean posted:

Mike Brooks just killing it again with the Lion returns book. Hope he gets to write Gulliman and the Lion meeting up.

:swoon:

Also can’t wait for Lion to meet up with the main Dick Angels :v:

:agreed:

I hope they add a 40K Unforgiven as a viewpoint character for a sequel to contrast with Zahariel’s perspective on things.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

celewign posted:

Wow, the Fabius Bile omnibus by Josh Reynolds is excellent, though slow. One of the most enjoyable Warhammer books I've read in a while and I keep going back to certain parts to reread them. An excerpt, where our hero meets Slaanesh:

"'You have committed crimes of such monstrous elegance that even the gods themselves grow uneasy. Look - see - they sit in judgement of you.' A too-long finger drifted upwards, and Fabius followed the gesture. He looked up, and something looked down.

It was not a face, for a face was a thing of limits and angles, and what he saw had neither. It stretched as far as his eyes could see, as if it were one with the whole of the sky and the firmament above. Things that might have been eyes, or distant moons or vast constellations of stars, looked down at him, and a gash in the atmosphere twisted like a lover's smile. It studied him from an impossible distance, and he felt the sharp edge of it's gaze cut through him, layer by layer. There was pain, in that gaze, and pleasure as well. Agony and ecstasy, inextricable and inseparable."

Is this the part where after that excerpt he starts having heart attacks (both his real heart and implant start failing) and he says (paraphrased) "There's nothing there. No Gods, no intelligence, just turbulent energy masquerading as consciousness." And he gets told that's a big reason the gods like him also?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/18/sunday-preview-warhammer-40000-essentials-and-blood-bowl-extras/

You want some books? Of course you do!

With barely anything getting release due to 10th ed model wise, there's a whole bunch of books coming out instead.

First up we have the sixth part in 40k's answer to the Horus heresy, The Martyr’s Tomb by Marc Collins.
Available in a Collectors Edition in 2000 copies.

But also available as Hardback, Audiobook and E-book.

The paperback version of Void King, also by Marc Collins goes up for pre-order as well.

On the Warhammer Crime front, we have The King of the Spoil by Jonathan D. Beer. Available for pre-order in the usual first run formats.

Lastly we have Lords of Blood , an anthology collecting Guy Haley's Blood Angel stories Dante, The Devastation of Baal, Darkness in the Blood, Astorath: Angel of Mercy, and Redeemer. Available in ebook and paperback.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Glad Marc is doing the next DoF, he is one of the better new authors so maybe this one will be better than the others.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah they've been trending down with each one in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
After Wolftime, the only possible trajectory was up.