Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

ATACMS?

ATACMS!!

Red Fructidor fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

The MIC already has a perfect solution for Ukraine's newly acquired Antonov planes actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0jL1d7MscM

Once again proving the real war winner is weaponized pallet technology. Russia is doomed.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

lmao that's incredible. The US military industrial complex is simply unparalleled in new, creative ways to reach out and touch someone.

we also did this with nukes (the Minuteman iirc), managing a successful air-launch test shoving it out the back of a cargo plane before deciding there wasn't a whole lot of point.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1669098931186282497
Apparently the vatniks have begun legging it from Polohy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Putin sides with military chiefs over placing Wagner under direct control; the Russian leader says move must be made as quickly as possible after Prigozhin refused to sign contracts:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/14/vladimir-putin-sides-with-military-chiefs-placing-wagner-under-direct-control

Why Ukraine can punch through a defense line, but Russia can't:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/6/14/2175065/-Quick-Explainer-Why-Ukraine-can-Punch-Through-a-Defense-Line-but-Russia-Couldn-t

One week into Ukraine's counteroffensive, Russia is losing far more than Ukraine - Deputy PM:

https://english.nv.ua/nation/one-week-into-ukraine-s-counteroffensive-russia-is-losing-far-more-than-ukraine-deputy-dm-50331974.html

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Btw that ammo that was in serious disrepair isn't artillery. They are APFSDS rounds. For your run of the mill MBT.

They are sabot rounds for main battle tanks sorry I should clarify the very specific acronym.

Russia claims to have lost 54 tanks versus Ukraines bla bla gla. But I wonder how many of those were breaching charge explosions from using this ammo. I mean honorableTB posted a few photos of breach charges... Yeah this can kill or contuse crews. And the level of disrepair this ammo is in means the frequency of failure is probably very very loving high.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 15, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Btw that ammo that was in serious disrepair isn't artillery. They are APFSDS rounds. For your run of the mill MBT.

They are sabot rounds for main battle tanks sorry I should clarify the very specific acronym.

Russia claims to have lost 54 tanks versus Ukraines bla bla gla. But I wonder how many of those were breaching charge explosions from using this ammo. I mean honorableTB posted a few photos of breach charges... Yeah this can kill or contuse crews. And the level of disrepair this ammo is in means the frequency of failure is probably very very loving high.

Also note that unloading a dud from a tank cannon can be quite an adventure. There's minimal room to do so and you want to be kind of careful not to bang the round against poo poo. Unless there's something obvious wrong with the firing pin or electronic ignition source, there's no way to tell why the round didn't go off while it's still in there.

Let's say you touch off the cannon and all it does is go "click". You'll want to wait a little bit to open the breech in case the primer is slow to ignite (a hangfire), as the now uncontained deflagration could burst the case, sending hot flaming gasses into the fighting compartment, through the loader or gunner and onto all the ammo crammed into every space in many tanks. After waiting, you open the breech, hope the extractor/ejector pops the shell out, catch it before it hits something, and send it out the nearest hatch. Until you find time do all that, you are riding around with a live cartridge in the barrel and unable to fight with your main weapon.

e: This applies to all firearms, but with lower stakes and the ability to manuever the gun so it's safe for all involved

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 15, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

madeintaipei posted:

Also note that unloading a dud from a tank cannon can be quite an adventure. There's minimal room to do so and you want to be kind of careful not to bang the round against poo poo. Unless there's something obvious wrong with the firing pin or electronic ignition source, there's no way to tell why the round didn't go off while it's still in there.

Let's say you touch off the cannon and all it does is go "click". You'll want to wait a little bit to open the breech in case the primer is slow to ignite (a hangfire), as the now uncontained deflagration could burst the case, sending hot flaming gasses into the fighting compartment, through the loader or gunner and onto all the ammo crammed into every space in many tanks. After waiting, you open the breech, hope the extractor/ejector pops the shell out, catch it before it hits something, and send it out the nearest hatch. Until you find time do all that, you are riding around with a live cartridge in the barrel and unable to fight with your main weapon.

e: This applies to all firearms, but with lower stakes and the ability to manuever the gun so it's safe for all involved

Thank you for putting this into terrifying perspective.

Okay so the solution to a dud round it juggle it out of the rucking rank as fast as possible..

Now just for my own education. Are leopards any different from the equation you just laid out other than the dud rate of the ammo is far far far lower than 60 year old sabot rounds

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Double post because I'm not editing that poo poo.

Degraded powder can burn slower or faster than it should, causing pressure spikes that the cartridge case, breech, and barrel are not designed for. This could result in a bad kaboom, a projectile stuck in the barrel, and/or hot gasses going where they shouldn't.

An off-kilter projectile, if it loads at all, might decide it wants to make a new hole in the barrel.

Worn, corroded cartridge cases may burst or crack, sending hot gasses where they shouldn't be. They could also seperate on firing, leaving the head stuck in the opening and the "body" stuck in the chamber. The head could seperate from the rest of the case on extraction/ejection, causing the same problem.

This is poo poo you do not want to deal with whether being shot at or not. While being shot at is going to create a sense of urgency, increasing the chances of making a mistake to fix the problem, even for an experienced crew.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay so the solution to a dud round it juggle it out of the rucking rank as fast as possible..

Now just for my own education. Are leopards any different from the equation you just laid out other than the dud rate of the ammo is far far far lower than 60 year old sabot rounds

As I understand it. If the commander deems it safe, you could keep a dud in the cannon until there comes a good time to deal with it. Once the breech opens, some alacrity in disposing of the dud would be wise.

Leopard ammo should be a lot newer, decreasing the chance it's been stored or handled incorrectly. While the Leopard 2 does store ammo in the hull, ready ammunition is better protected and less likely to go off from fire than, say, the seperate ammo of the autoloading T-Series tanks. As to specifics, you could ask in GiP. There are a few Leo 2 crew members there, including one that later crewed the M1 Abrams.

Am I right in thinking you were in a line company? Many of the same rules apply to hand held firearms.
If the .50 goes down, switch to the 249 or your carbine, find time in cover to bring the bigger gun on line, continue until something breaks again.

Rucking rank is a good username.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All this while the end of the dud isn’t just some jacketed lead but might be high explosive.

Also in the Leopard, is it doctrine to use the in body ammo first?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm not aware of any tank having a special method that saves the crew from having to manually unfuck the gun's state. anything that does automatically eject brass is expecting spent brass and will not react nicely to brass full of propellant and a warhead.

I've only had to deal with something like this with small arms, when I got a bad batch of ammunition. doing so with a 100+mm cartridge instead of <10 is an experience I never want to have.

Doesn't The Beast (Of War) have a scene where this happens? I remember it being pretty faithful, and the actors clearly understood the assignment because they seem to be bricking it just as much as I would be in that situation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

appears to have been recovered from the bottom of khakovka reservoir based on the condition

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tiaz posted:

I'm not aware of any tank having a special method that saves the crew from having to manually unfuck the gun's state. anything that does automatically eject brass is expecting spent brass and will not react nicely to brass full of propellant and a warhead.

I've only had to deal with something like this with small arms, when I got a bad batch of ammunition. doing so with a 100+mm cartridge instead of <10 is an experience I never want to have.

Doesn't The Beast (Of War) have a scene where this happens? I remember it being pretty faithful, and the actors clearly understood the assignment because they seem to be bricking it just as much as I would be in that situation.

I mean, it seems to me that most tanks have redundant systems to fire the main gun. Gunner's trigger, with a manual backup at the cocking lever and the commander's trigger. A manually loaded tank cannon is "semi-automatic" in the artillery sense. That is, upon recoiling, the breech is opened, the spent cartridge is ejected, and the firing mechanism (if mechanical) is reset. "Misfire!", jam the firing switch(es) again, manually cock the gun, jam the switch(es) a couple more times, manually fire at the cocking lever, work from there. In some designs, it's possible to use a string attached to the cocking piece to try and fire the gun from outside the tank.

I've read an account from the US Army during WW2 where the commander took it upon himself to unload a misfire with no one else in the tank. I'm not sure if that's specified anywhere, but it's certainly taking responsibility for the failure!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

madeintaipei posted:

As I understand it. If the commander deems it safe, you could keep a dud in the cannon until there comes a good time to deal with it. Once the breech opens, some alacrity in disposing of the dud would be wise.

Leopard ammo should be a lot newer, decreasing the chance it's been stored or handled incorrectly. While the Leopard 2 does store ammo in the hull, ready ammunition is better protected and less likely to go off from fire than, say, the seperate ammo of the autoloading T-Series tanks. As to specifics, you could ask in GiP. There are a few Leo 2 crew members there, including one that later crewed the M1 Abrams.

Am I right in thinking you were in a line company? Many of the same rules apply to hand held firearms.
If the .50 goes down, switch to the 249 or your carbine, find time in cover to bring the bigger gun on line, continue until something breaks again.

Rucking rank is a good username.

Oh yeah that's what I assume same rules apply. I just imagine that Russians dont have that sort of discipline in terms of not immediately trying to get the round out causing marinara based death. Or more spectacular explosions or misfires that end up causing the gun to split turning the crew into thick borscht

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

madeintaipei posted:

I mean, it seems to me that most tanks have redundant systems to fire the main gun. Gunner's trigger, with a manual backup at the cocking lever and the commander's trigger. A manually loaded tank cannon is "semi-automatic" in the artillery sense. That is, upon recoiling, the breech is opened, the spent cartridge is ejected, and the firing mechanism (if mechanical) is reset. "Misfire!", jam the firing switch(es) again, manually cock the gun, jam the switch(es) a couple more times, manually fire at the cocking lever, work from there. In some designs, it's possible to use a string attached to the cocking piece to try and fire the gun from outside the tank.

I've read an account from the US Army during WW2 where the commander took it upon himself to unload a misfire with no one else in the tank. I'm not sure if that's specified anywhere, but it's certainly taking responsibility for the failure!

Oh for sure, I didn't mean to suggest that you pull the trigger once and then decide it's done and dusted, just that once you-the-crew have decided it's definitely a misfire and you can't convince it to go bang there's no automatic (that is to say, pushbutton) ejection of the dud round, that one way or another someone is getting hands on with the thing and getting it out of the crew compartment.
I don't know the exact details but I'd bet there's a quick troubleshooting checklist for the non-gunner's-trigger components involved in getting it to fire - check breakers, breech seating, etc. before you decide it's a dud, just because of how much that procedure must obviously suck for everyone involved.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Chieftain just dropped a video on the anatomy of a modern 120mm round, with discussions of misfire drill. He's a Lt. Colonel in the US Army reserves who deployed to Iraq once in Abrams and once in Bradleys, so he knows what he's talking about. It's a great channel if you're into tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJz8cVUvYws

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

A map of decolonized Russia. Each flag was a separate nation, people, culture, language, absorbed into muscovy through imperial conquest based on ethnic Russian superiority

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neat. I'm thinking that would probably be better. There's probably no nook nooks in there anyway.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Karate Bastard posted:

Neat. I'm thinking that would probably be better. There's probably no nook nooks in there anyway.

Or they'll accept money for development in exchange for decommissioning, which hell yeah

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HonorableTB posted:

A map of decolonized Russia. Each flag was a separate nation, people, culture, language, absorbed into muscovy through imperial conquest based on ethnic Russian superiority

Most of these would still have a Russian majority. But I guess it would be a nice dream if money from natural resources could be spent locally and not on apartments in Moscow or yachts in Monaco.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 15, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When heavy ammunition is stockpiled is it stored 'whole' or do they yank the more delicate components (primer, fuse etc) to reinstall when the stockpile is activated?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Putin has healing promoting touch

https://twitter.com/TheKremlinYap/status/1669225074467954695

it has nothing at all to do with casualties among officers

edit: map update (no update)

https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1669200409070542848

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 15, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

tiaz posted:

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6e3Qv6QrHg Once again worth reiterating that this is a great and sadly often overlooked movie. It's a fairly long scene. The misfire happens around the 1:30 mark. They clear the jam/misfire at around 4:10.

madeintaipei posted:

That's basically what happens in the film as well. They try a couple different alternatives before they bail out of the tank.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Maps like this (and the whole decolonisation talk that frequently pops out) are beyond stupid because they almost always use USSR administrative borders.

Surely nothing bad ever happens when a moron with a pencil decides to show off map partition skills.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Maps like this (and the whole decolonisation talk that frequently pops out) are beyond stupid because they almost always use USSR administrative borders.

Surely nothing bad ever happens when a moron with a pencil decides to show off map partition skills.

You don't have to take these literally as if random twitter people are policy makers. They are also really more something which serves to drive home the fact that the idea that Russia or the Soviet Union are not built on a legacy of colinization and conquest is bunk.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Randarkman posted:

You don't have to take these literally as if random twitter people are policy makers. They are also really more something which serves to drive home the fact that the idea that Russia or the Soviet Union are not built on a legacy of colinization and conquest is bunk.

Truly a unique case in world history.
What then? There are no significant indendependence movements and no places with those colorful flags can self-sustain, every place that was able to secede already did so in 1991. I get why Ukrainians dream of Russia turning into a warring states balkanized quilt straight out of a HOI4 mod but it is not happening in foreseeable future. (Neither are wet Russian dreams of Tejas coming back home to Mexico or whatever)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

Not if you consider these regional disputes as a feature, not a bug

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Truly a unique case in world history.

Yes, that's the point I mentioned, (that it can be used) to show that Russia is not a unique case.

fatherboxx posted:

What then? There are no significant indendependence movements and no places with those colorful flags can self-sustain, every place that was able to secede already did so in 1991. I get why Ukrainians dream of Russia turning into a warring states balkanized quilt straight out of a HOI4 mod but it is not happening in foreseeable future. (Neither are wet Russian dreams of Tejas coming back home to Mexico or whatever)

Nothing. It's a picture on twitter.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 15, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Agreed.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1669244004477685763

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Disco Pope posted:

The Russian elite are a sick people who think Fallout 4 was the best one.
Russians go to Miami for vacation, return home with a viscous hatred for the Patriots and Red Sox and Celtics and Bruins and whatever the MLS team is.

Which is really funny because Putin met Patriots owner Robert Kraft and stole his Super Bowl ring.
https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/09/10/robert-kraft-putin-super-bowl-ring/

edit: Putin, a piece of poo poo, stole a Super Bowl ring. Amongst his other shittiness.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 15, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

tbf robert kraft also really loving sucks, just not as badly, so it's more like a "root for injury" situation where i wish that both of them had combusted on contact.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Randarkman posted:

Of course the map is beyond ridiculous, but it highlights a point worth emphasising, as a big part of why tankies, as well as some in the third world, unconditionally support Russia - its supposed anti-imperialism.

Pointing out that Russia is in fact built upon centuries of brutal conquest, slaughter and oppression of countless indigenous peoples is important.

Just because you have fuzzy warm memories of the USSR because it sent your country some AK47s and MiG21s in the 1970s, it does not mean (as many claim) that Russia is some unique special snowflake that is special and 'clean' compared to the West when it comes to having a history of imperialism.

Much like the Brits pretend they woke up one day and ended up mysteriously in control of India and Africa, and the Americans gloss over the genocides of Manifest Destiny - Russia does almost exactly the same in whitewashing its history. Its a big part of why unconditional support for Russia should be challenged.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

NoiseAnnoys posted:

tbf robert kraft also really loving sucks, just not as badly, so it's more like a "root for injury" situation where i wish that both of them had combusted on contact.

No argument here, just pointing out a :lol:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

HonorableTB posted:

Oh heavens me the Olympic parade of nations (best part of the Olympics dont @ me) would take an extra hour

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1668600506141356032

:finland:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
That one place near Vladivostok looks like it's already sponsored by Pepsi so there's a lot of promise for independence.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Icept posted:

That one place near Vladivostok looks like it's already sponsored by Pepsi so there's a lot of promise for independence.

A holdover from th soviet fleet they almost acquired, no doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

stab posted:

Oh heavens me the Olympic parade of nations (best part of the Olympics dont @ me) would take an extra hour

Do the freedom of Canada, Spain, and Boba Fett really mean that little to you?