Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Peggotty posted:

If it only applies to uninhabited islands, what should, in your opinion, happen to all the very inhabited non-islands the British also conquered?

I agree, we should all just revert to the ancient and from this moment on eternal borders just before the Finno-Korean Hyperwar kicked off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

Nothing explains Gotland.

Vacationing stockholmers do a lot of genetic damage as well.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Count Roland posted:

"This might be Ukraine's 'Chernobyl'" for thread title?

:yeshaha:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Darkest Auer posted:

I agree, we should all just revert to the ancient and from this moment on eternal borders just before the Finno-Korean Hyperwar kicked off.

the decolonization proposal here seems to be that everybody lines up, we determine their racial category via standard blood quanta and phrenological methods, and then everybody gets a personalized "invisible fence"-style dog collar based on the results that gives the wearer light to moderate electric shocks if they violate the geofencing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could set mine to keep me north of york and I'd be happier for it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*looks at wrist* *does some bloodletting* well I'll have Palestine, Alsace-Moselle, and south-side Chicago. This is definitely mine by blood.

congrats to owlfancier, the gruff northern sort of english has always been my fave

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Tree Goat posted:

the decolonization proposal here seems to be that everybody lines up, we determine their racial category via standard blood quanta and phrenological methods, and then everybody gets a personalized "invisible fence"-style dog collar based on the results that gives the wearer light to moderate electric shocks if they violate the geofencing

Since the Falklands were uninhabited we should just let the current residents starve so we can give the islands back to the penguins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Historically I think that has led to people just eating the penguins.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Can we apply retrophrenology in some cases?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Grape posted:

Are you trying to twist yourself into enough logic pretzels that you can tell your own prostate how progressive you are?

Lol @ the progressive ideology of allocating people to allowed geographical regions based on their ancestry without regarding the living individuals

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 14, 2023

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
lol @ the progressive ideology of having a colonial outpost that costs tens of millions per year to defend & maintain for the sole purpose of allowing a bunch of tories to LARP loving Emmerdale in the south atlantic. the UK government hems, haws and handwrings over funding trivialities like healthcare and energy infrastructure, but god forbid the Flaklands and its military base don't get their precious pennies

I'm from Britain and I say relocate them all, just shove them in the Cotswolds or somewhere and they won't know the difference. god forbid some Brits find out what it's like to be displaced from their place of birth by forces beyond their control, eh? it's not like that's the behaviour which defined our country for the best part of a few centuries, not at all!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dadrips posted:

lol @ the progressive ideology of having a colonial outpost that costs tens of millions per year to defend & maintain for the sole purpose of allowing a bunch of tories to LARP loving Emmerdale in the south atlantic. the UK government hems, haws and handwrings over funding trivialities like healthcare and energy infrastructure, but god forbid the Flaklands and its military base don't get their precious pennies

I'm from Britain and I say relocate them all, just shove them in the Cotswolds or somewhere and they won't know the difference. god forbid some Brits find out what it's like to be displaced from their place of birth by forces beyond their control, eh? it's not like that's the behaviour which defined our country for the best part of a few centuries, not at all!

You sound like a lot of fun.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Look, i'm completly fine with "Gott strafe England", too. But it's not the same if _you're_ the one blaming current brits for the countries' former crimes, you spoilsport.

[Edit:]
And, to have a picture again. So many names for "England".

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 14, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Letting the English decide unilaterally who gets deported where for cost saving reasons is how the Windrush Scandal happened.

Keep the Falklands precisely because it costs those people money and also irks the Peronistas. Build a second Falklands next door as a public works program. Build a third one and give it to the Dutch.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
lol @ the progressive ideology of mapping the points on an oblate sphere to a two dimensional manifold even though there’s no way of doing so without singularities and then using that “map” to “navigate” the surface of this sphere like a loving idiot

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

lol @ the progressive ideology of mapping the points on an oblate sphere to a two dimensional manifold even though there’s no way of doing so without singularities and then using that “map” to “navigate” the surface of this sphere like a loving idiot

They have taken us for absolute fools

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tenebrais posted:

They have taken us for absolute fools

“I do some trigonometry based on the beeps I hear from space to figure out which of a set of totally imaginary parallel lines I am standing on. This helps the pizza guy find my apartment”

“A couple guys in the 18th century tried to walk west in a straight line as best as they could and that’s what some places in America serve sweet tea and some don’t”

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

Look, i'm completly fine with "Gott strafe England", too. But it's not the same if _you're_ the one blaming current brits for the countries' former crimes, you spoilsport.

If Scotland did succeed would that mean it would no longer be the United Kingdom?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
In that case, we all wish Scotland much success

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NI also needs to leave for the name to fully change I think

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Count Roland posted:

If Scotland did succeed would that mean it would no longer be the United Kingdom?

Based on that taxonomy, you'd need to fission off Northern Ireland, thus reducing the United Kingdom back to the Kingdom of Great Britain. If you instead split off the Scots, you'd end up with the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland, I'd guess? Wales still gets ignored, as is tradition.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2050: United Kingdom of Essex and Sussex

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Count Roland posted:

It would still be the United Kingdom, just not the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
Maybe "United Kingdom of Global Britain and Ireland"?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Petite Britain is in France though.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Petite Britain is in France though.
Good call.

"United Kingdom of Midsized Britain, Ireland and the Falkland Islands"?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Unfortunately, although the theoretical output of kingdom fusion is orders of magnitude greater, sustainable fusion has proven to be impractical given the tremendous forces that must be generated to contain the reaction without a great deal of collateral damage. Until researchers discover a more efficient method, we must rely on the relatively inefficient but well-studied approach of splitting apart United Kingdoms to generate power by means of one of the reaction's main byproduct particles: gammons.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wipfmetz posted:

Good call.

"United Kingdom of Midsized Britain, Ireland and the Falkland Islands"?

Let's try another definition of "great" to invert:

"The United Kingdom of lovely Britain and the Falkland Islands"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
All British people are the same.

Find strength in your unity, bland food, and using hard H's when pronouncing "Herb."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All British people are the same.

Find strength in your unity, bland food, and using hard H's when pronouncing "Herb."

I have it on good authority from cartoons that many British people do not use hard hs for any word whatsoever

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Unless it’s a French word then it has to sound as un-French as possible

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

'on 'on 'on

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

using hard H's when pronouncing "Herb."

extremely niche thing to be mad about. nice

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Wipfmetz posted:

The problem I have with current Brits, English people in particular, is that they have never had any kind reckoning with their history. The British Empire was the most evil country that has ever existed and the consequences of their evil actions resonate today, and will for a long time. The English don't in any way engage with those facts, they have their stupid monarchy and they venerate Victoria and they still somehow believe that they matter in any way. They don't, they're awful, and they should really engage with the things their forbears did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The problem I have with current Brits, English people in particular, is that they have never had any kind reckoning with their history. The British Empire was the most evil country that has ever existed and the consequences of their evil actions resonate today, and will for a long time. The English don't in any way engage with those facts, they have their stupid monarchy and they venerate Victoria and they still somehow believe that they matter in any way. They don't, they're awful, and they should really engage with the things their forbears did.

Lmao source your quotes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Why should they engage with the things their forebears did if they no longer matter? That doesn't sound like a productive use of anyone's time.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Wait are you posting this poo poo for real? Wtf is wrong with you. I thought you were making dumb jokes, not being an actual absolute shithead.

You can hate Charles for this stuff, that’s fine, but hating some random Falklands sheep farmer or some dude with a pub in Chesterhamshireville for this stuff just makes you a piece of poo poo yourself.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sure, the Brexit Stuff and it's driving forces are somewhere between "dark" and "slapstick", but overall today's UK seems to be kinda reasonable and kinda wellmeaning?
I'm not so much looking at the isolated UK but comparing it to other current actors on the stage.

Please also consider that engaging with the things one's forbears did is a really hard thing to do _right_. If you do it wrong, you won't actually help anybody _today_ or you won't actually be prepared for the same mistakes as long as they look just _slightly_ different.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 15, 2023

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I think more it is annoying when english people go on their (justified) anti American rants but fail to realize everything they hate America for england either did too (Iraq war) or did their own little version of.
That's more of disliking stupid people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These days it's usually Russian sources bringing up Iraq as a reason why they get to do whatever they want geopolitically, and the only Brits who are still hung up on it get all their news from RT.
(Or they're people who want both Putin and Blair imprisoned for war crimes, which is fair.)