Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Who's next in line of succession? Is it still the blonde kid that looked like Joffrey Baratheon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Luka grumbled in ‘21 he wants to change the law so that on his death, presidential power would go to the National Council where Jeoffrey has been installed. In reality, Jeoffrey won’t be long for this world if Batka passes and the FSB kicks off a coup.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Any Bosnian goons around? We're on vacation in the Una river valley and I'd like to know how worried we should be about the flooding, on a scale of 0 to 'Leave Now.'

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Hannibal Rex posted:

Any Bosnian goons around? We're on vacation in the Una river valley and I'd like to know how worried we should be about the flooding, on a scale of 0 to 'Leave Now.'

Not a Bosnian goon, but your post just gave me some PTSD about some horrible flooding back in 2014 or something and it's probably for the best to do is to Leave Now just in case.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks. I'm quite a bit better oriented right now than I was last night, when we came back home late and saw how much the water had risen over the day.

Our host has been in touch and has pointed me to a site that monitors the water levels.

The situation is stabilizing where I'm at, but people downriver are going to have a rough night.

https://www.voda.ba/vodostaji

https://n1info.ba/english/news/bosanska-krupa-declares-a-state-of-emergency-doe-to-floods/

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 16, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
well, that was unexpected

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1660590923808374784

idk why Lukashenka bothered. it certainly doesn't seem like releasing one high-profile prisoner would endear him to western neighbors after the original airplane piracy stunt, much less the subsequent "sure Russian troops can stage an invasion from our territory" bit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

well, that was unexpected

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1660590923808374784

idk why Lukashenka bothered. it certainly doesn't seem like releasing one high-profile prisoner would endear him to western neighbors after the original airplane piracy stunt, much less the subsequent "sure Russian troops can stage an invasion from our territory" bit

He probably wants to use him for something. Everyone's already caught up with the fact that Yury Voskresensky, another 'reformed' political prisoner, is not a real politician and doesn't speak for anyone but Lukashenko, so Pratasevich could be intended as a new and more high profile face for lobbying international organisations and foreign countries to lift sanctions.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the guy probably snitched on some old friends and agreed to be very fawning about old batka

if you can turn an inconvenience into an asset, why not do it? even if the asset is not especially valuable, it makes sense.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
edit: just a gossip for now, will wait for news stories

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 29, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Latvian parliament has chosen the country's first openly homosexual president, Edgars Rinkevics. He will enter office in July. He was the foreign minister before and comes from a centre-right party. The Latvian president plays more than just a ceremonial role, but does not hold kind of executive powers that eg Biden or Macron have.

Also and perhaps more importantly Latvia won USA in the ice hockey world championship bronze match :toot:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Latvian parliament has chosen the country's first openly homosexual president, Edgars Rinkevics. He will enter office in July. He was the foreign minister before and comes from a centre-right party. The Latvian president plays more than just a ceremonial role, but does not hold kind of executive powers that eg Biden or Macron have.

Also and perhaps more importantly Latvia won USA in the ice hockey world championship bronze match :toot:

Incidentally, this may or may not lead to a collapse of the uneasy ruling coalition and a reshuffle. We'll see. In short, Rinkēvič's party (JV) may have made a deal with two opposition parties to elect R over the the millionaire businessman who may or may not have been in the GRU in the 1980s and was backed by the other two coalition partners, including the nationalists somehow.

True to form, we also made the Monday following the ice hockey game into a spontaneous public holiday. Which, was, apparently and unsurprisingly, quite a disruptive thing to happen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

When Finland won its first championship gold in 1995 in the middle of a recession, it came to be to be considered a generational uplifting event. Nokia's success came shortly afterwards. 95 never forget :finland:

Hopefully you guys will also have some moral boost from this! Being the best in the world at poking a rubber thing on ice right after Canada and Germany is no little merit.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Oh, we won gold this year? Cool.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Latvia deserved it. As did Canada with the gold. Germany was good but underdog story goes only so far.

Unlike the Finnish team, the only reason they got to die in the playoffs was because there were enough "also participants". Absolutely an egg of a team from out national hero.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What was this now? Only sport I know is pierogi all you can eat championship

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mokotow posted:

What was this now? Only sport I know is pierogi all you can eat championship

Ice Hockey is a thing in Eastern Europe, be all that "I do not follow plebeian stuff" if that floats your boat.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They play it in the summer? I mean I know there are ice rinks but having a championship not in the middle of winter seems like a lost opportunity.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mokotow posted:

They play it in the summer? I mean I know there are ice rinks but having a championship not in the middle of winter seems like a lost opportunity.

May is a spring month. In the spring most of the leagues are over so it's a good time for it. NHL is still going though so some of the best paid players are still busy, but not too many.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Summer starts on the first day the daytime temperature goes above 15C and ends when it dips below 5. I will die on this hill.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Summer starts when the males migrate to the yards to grill their garbage Billigfleisch and pour beer over it to douse flames. It typically starts at 10°C with sunshine for more than 3 hours a day.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 3, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Summer starts on the first day the daytime temperature goes above 15C and ends when it dips below 5. I will die on this hill.

June started with -7°C in Finland. Summer has ended.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/04/poland-hundreds-of-thousands-march-against-rightwing-populist-government

View outside my window this morning.

We’ve has what appears to be record-breaking rally in Warsaw with half a million people attending. This was called by the main opposition party, but most other opposition parties joined too. At the end of the day, there’s no agreement in the opposition to run together, though an unstable coalition of center-right parties seems possible. Our token left that spends most days embarrassing itself is nowhere to be found.

It looks more than likely that PiS will lose power in the autumn elections. Still, the opposition lacks a strong or popular program, opposed to PiS’s Leninist “one party to destroy them all” philosophy.

It’s heartening to have seen so many people, even if most of them were older than what you’d expect in rallies like this - after all, some polls are giving us much as 9% to a nationalist/liberal/fash party coalition, mostly young people. While no one really wants to deal with them, PiS has shown it’s willing to put them on their payroll in exchange for votes.

Inside PiS, the biggest break seems to be between the main party and Solidarna Polska, a minor partner ran by Zbigniew Ziobro, a noted Piece of poo poo. Not only an ultra conservative, Ziobro is a catholic authoritarian and his party is behind all the lovely things you can imagine: abortion hardline, anti-lgbt+ laws, politicization of courts and using the prosecutor’s office as his own internal police. Luckily, his party enjoys token support, though it’s not unlikely should push come to shove and the quibbles with Kaczynski evolve into open war, Ziobro will take a few percent of the hardline vote from PiS and continue to be a force by working with the fash parties.

I’m a left voter, but the Polish left is in a decades long downward spiral, due to most of its 90’s electorate drifting to PiS, horseshoe-theory style. What’s left are two wings - the olds that manage to cling to all the actual party assets inherited post ‘89 and clinging to them, waiting for the sweet, sweet release of death, and a bunch of urban youth, discovering with glee that running a political party is a lucrative job and you can sort or skirt along for years without having to do that much legwork.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nice. ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!

I've gotta ask - is it out of your window or from your glazed balcony? Because I don't understand the function of the anti-petcide or anti-bird web if it's a window that is supposed to be kept shut.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is from my (inset) window and not the balcony. The net is for cat-proofing - we have two cats and want to be sure they don’t fall when we open windows, which open to the inside of the house. Since we’re on the last floor, the flat gets extra hot in the summer. Also, there is a second room and a parapet you see in the picture running along most of the flat so the cats have some extra space to walk around and look down the street. There are some plants in this room on the inside parapet so I couldn’t open the window, hence the lovely glassy blur, and the view from the other room wasn’t as good.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 4, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Okay, that makes sense. Also I think there is a lot more demand for anti-defenestration nets these days.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I sure feel safer annoying my wife :v:

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/04/poland-hundreds-of-thousands-march-against-rightwing-populist-government

View outside my window this morning.

We’ve has what appears to be record-breaking rally in Warsaw with half a million people attending. This was called by the main opposition party, but most other opposition parties joined too. At the end of the day, there’s no agreement in the opposition to run together, though an unstable coalition of center-right parties seems possible. Our token left that spends most days embarrassing itself is nowhere to be found.

It looks more than likely that PiS will lose power in the autumn elections. Still, the opposition lacks a strong or popular program, opposed to PiS’s Leninist “one party to destroy them all” philosophy.

It’s heartening to have seen so many people, even if most of them were older than what you’d expect in rallies like this - after all, some polls are giving us much as 9% to a nationalist/liberal/fash party coalition, mostly young people. While no one really wants to deal with them, PiS has shown it’s willing to put them on their payroll in exchange for votes.

Inside PiS, the biggest break seems to be between the main party and Solidarna Polska, a minor partner ran by Zbigniew Ziobro, a noted Piece of poo poo. Not only an ultra conservative, Ziobro is a catholic authoritarian and his party is behind all the lovely things you can imagine: abortion hardline, anti-lgbt+ laws, politicization of courts and using the prosecutor’s office as his own internal police. Luckily, his party enjoys token support, though it’s not unlikely should push come to shove and the quibbles with Kaczynski evolve into open war, Ziobro will take a few percent of the hardline vote from PiS and continue to be a force by working with the fash parties.

I’m a left voter, but the Polish left is in a decades long downward spiral, due to most of its 90’s electorate drifting to PiS, horseshoe-theory style. What’s left are two wings - the olds that manage to cling to all the actual party assets inherited post ‘89 and clinging to them, waiting for the sweet, sweet release of death, and a bunch of urban youth, discovering with glee that running a political party is a lucrative job and you can sort or skirt along for years without having to do that much legwork.

The biggest problem right now is almost 13% support for Konfederacja, pro-Russian, anti-EU ultralibertarian far right party. Konfederacja+opposition coalition will be bad, but Konfederacja+PIS coalition will be loving disaster

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Russian Duma will most likely pass a law that bans all gender-affirming care and prohibits legally changing person's sex on official documents. The only exception might be for intersex people, and even then one would need to get a special permission from doctors in Moscow.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/06/14/russian-lawmakers-vote-to-ban-gender-reassignment-a81507

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Polish bus route drops ‘devil’s number’ after Christian protests

quote:

There will be no more going to Hel on bus 666.

The bus to the town of Hel on Poland’s Baltic coast has long been popular with tourists. But some Christian conservatives have protested against the use of a number signifying the devil on a bus leading to a place that sounds like the word “hell” in English.

The new number - 669

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nice

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Like much of the creeping global warm with extensive not-desert wild areas, Kazakhstan is on fire:

https://twitter.com/masamediakz/status/1668862577923719174

https://twitter.com/Ordakazakhstan_/status/1669247733125857282

Complaints abound for the emergency services agencies lacking proper equipment and training due to being a corruption vector.

Meta-commentary from a personal level is that local Kazakh news now broadcast major stories in English around or before someone collects and translates them for Eurasianet, which is a neat trend. Granted, my Twitter network has expanded to encompass more authors at those publications, but that's not something i would have much expected a year or two ago.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

We used to have flight 666 straight to HEL (from Copenhagen) but some sourpuss at Finnair cancelled that route.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Hey sweet, Estonia actually legalized marriage equality, starting from January 1. 2024 :)
https://twitter.com/kajakallas/status/1671075778593792002
Glad to see that this coalition actually did it!
There was a lot of "the best ever chance to do it" talk, but also "we can't do it because the economy / war in Ukraine / whatever the gently caress" type of excuses, so I wasn't totally confident... so hey, yay!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
lol that Italy still hasn't

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
Latviaposting has been a lot more quiet lately, but this image from a survey jumped out at me on Twitter today:

The screenshot was, of course, clikcbaity, but the article is a good read if you're interested in that sort of thing.

https://spektr.press/poverty-trap-o...-in-particular/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:eng101: Estonia will also become the first post-Soviet nation to legalize equal marriage. For comparison, Slovenia was the first post-communist country to do it in 2022. Interestingly, Cuba also legalized it the same year, becoming the first one party state with marriage equality. It's good to see some progress starting to be made, hopefully more will follow so we can become one big gay family! :gaysper:

I guess we still need a non-Soviet former Warsaw Pact member to complete this. Czechs, I'm looking at you.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 21, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Congratulations Estonia!

In Lolish news (typo, not correcting tho), Kaczynski is back in the cabinet as a deputy prime minister, kicking off the other deputy prime ministers we’ve had (they’re all from his party). He’ll be the de facto prime minister, and his come back after a health-related absence is seen as a sign of rampant in fighting in the government between the economic-minded prime minister Morawiecki and Putin-inspired minister of justice Ziobro, the minority coalition partner leader.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Nenonen posted:

I guess we still need a non-Soviet former Warsaw Pact member to complete this. Czechs, I'm looking at you.

Given our current parliament, the best you are gonna get is a series of failed votes, brought on by the opposition that doesn't actually want it to pass, but expects it to bring in bunch of strife and obstructions in the parliament :ughh:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

RUMID: basically a TV comedy plot

https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/status/1672107216013500417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Someone should photoshop the guy slav squatting in some Adidas gear, it also leaves out the problem that Russia was supposed to have moved to the new site 10+ years ago.