Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Super-NintendoUser posted:

So what's the best way to get Star Trek TOS into Sonarr without any of the new fangled edits?

Probably set your series profile to grab only SD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I figured there'd be a release label, but I can't seem to find one that specifies it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Probably set your series profile to grab only SD?

This is the way, SD or DVD quality profile on the series will do it. Worked a treat for TOS, DS9 and Voyager.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Voyager doesn't have a HD release yet, probably never will.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

+1 on the SD profile for any show that predates HD

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
:yeah: Most things that old or from the early video era are just going to be upscales anyway. Unless they go back and physically rescan the film like TNG it won't be significantly different than letting your TV do the same thing, and it saves you HD space.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

British stuff was notoriously shot on video rather than film (barring some exterior shots) and I’ve done comparisons between 1080p files coming in at 6gb or so for 30 minutes and the original DVDs, and there’s essentially no difference. The only thing you really gain is codec maturity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Super-NintendoUser posted:

So what's the best way to get Star Trek TOS into Sonarr without any of the new fangled edits?

Just your somewhat regular reminder that talking about specific warez stuff isn't allowed on SA.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Just your somewhat regular reminder that talking about specific warez stuff isn't allowed on SA.

That was just a typo. They meant Star Trek FOSS :rms2:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, in that case carry on.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Takes No Damage posted:

That was just a typo. They meant Star Trek FOSS :rms2:

https://lcarsde.github.io/ not sure how to get it into Sonarr though. Maybe there's an LCARS skin for it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got tired of having to free up space or having to buy a bigger networked drive and decided after years of dithering over spending the cash required to finally bite the bullet and get a dedicated QNAP enclosure I can just throw more drives into, and since it has the option of running docker containers on it I might as well migrate all my *arrs too.

Are trash guides still the best way to do it?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are trash guides still the best way to do it?

Yep. This helps with keeping up with trash guide quality updates as well.
https://github.com/recyclarr/recyclarr

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh gently caress someone said warez that takes me baaack. Talk about a word lost to time. SA has this incredible capability to just exist in 2002 out of absolutely nowhere.

W00t anyone have a 1337 irc bot we can use to exchange filez? I want to download the Anarchists Cookbook mate. Wanna learn how to get high off banana peels and get free payphone calling to impress my girl when we go to the arcade.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember way back when trying to get some ancient anime, I had to look up the episodes in a giant list of bot commands off the group's website, then log in to their IRC and laboriously paste in each one and hope the bot was actually running and would respond :tizzy: *arrs are magic by comparison.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Taima posted:

Oh gently caress someone said warez that takes me baaack. Talk about a word lost to time. SA has this incredible capability to just exist in 2002 out of absolutely nowhere.

W00t anyone have a 1337 irc bot we can use to exchange filez? I want to download the Anarchists Cookbook mate. Wanna learn how to get high off banana peels and get free payphone calling to impress my girl when we go to the arcade.

Eh warez has kind of lived on as a basic lingo term and not as dated / cringe as the rest of the stuff you mentioned

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DogNZB has warez, if you have Bitcoin.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I haven’t seen or heard anyone use the term warez for at least a decade if not longer

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQqrnX7BsM

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

History Comes Inside! posted:

I haven’t seen or heard anyone use the term warez for at least a decade if not longer

I come across it fairly often. I don’t see the others that they listed though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Taima posted:

Lmao if you don’t use a unlocked/uncensored local LLM “AI” instance to tell you how to make napalm gramps. The future is weird and somehow even dumber than we ever thought was possible.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Taima posted:

if you don't have a six digit ICQ # GTFO

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Silly Burrito posted:

I didn't even realise ICQ was still a thing until I googled it just now. Apparently Russian owned, which is probably marginally worse than being owned by AOL.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I think they changed away from the numeric identifiers too, which is a fate worse than death as far as I'm concerned

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Charles Leclerc posted:

I didn't even realise ICQ was still a thing until I googled it just now. Apparently Russian owned, which is probably marginally worse than being owned by AOL.

I tried to sign into my old account a few years ago and mail.ru wanted my phone number and more contact info before it would let me proceed. Farewell, ICQ, you weren't great.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Charles Leclerc posted:

Still the second best way to contact people on SA.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why is your home page not set to some insane tifosi conspiracy blog

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

Why is your home page not set to some insane tifosi conspiracy blog

You mean the F1 thread?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I've always seen this thread when browsing this subforum and finally got my interest piqued. I watched a few videos on what Usenet is and the benefits of it. Is the OP still up to date with how to get started? Any youtube primers out there that I might have missed?

e: funnily as i post this, the frugal usenet pig banner is showing at the bottom of this page.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s 11 years old, so probably in the most general way as nothing major has really changed in that time period but maybe the specifics aren’t all correct.

Essentially you’ll still need

1. A Usenet subscription or two. A lot of people combine an unlimited one with block accounts so DMCA hits aren’t as bad, personally I’ve been using just a newshosting unlimited for years and years with very few issues.

2. An indexer. Some are private but plenty aren’t and usually throwing a $10 tip gets you good access to them for a year or more.

3. Software. Both a client for pulling the files, and ideally a combination of sonarr/radarr to do automation which is your best way of getting stuff before DMCA strikes as well as not having to lift a finger for the stuff you want.

That’s pretty much it. It’s fairly straightforward. Look up the TRaSH Guides for more specifics about configuring things exactly.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

9296799, I'm just not cool enough :(

buglord posted:

So I've always seen this thread when browsing this subforum and finally got my interest piqued. I watched a few videos on what Usenet is and the benefits of it. Is the OP still up to date with how to get started? Any youtube primers out there that I might have missed?

e: funnily as i post this, the frugal usenet pig banner is showing at the bottom of this page.

Youtube will have 100s of videos about setting up every piece of software you might need, just search for 'media server' videos that mention your OS and most of the software you want to use. But very roughly you'll need:

A usenet account (Frugal is one of the better ones IMO)
An indexer to actually search usenet (NZBGeek is a good place to start)
A download client (SANbzbd or NZBGet)
Whatever media managers you need (Sonarr, Radarr etc)

Mash it all together feed it to Plex and you've got yourself a media server.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s 11 years old, so probably in the most general way as nothing major has really changed in that time period but maybe the specifics aren’t all correct.

Essentially you’ll still need

1. A Usenet subscription or two. A lot of people combine an unlimited one with block accounts so DMCA hits aren’t as bad, personally I’ve been using just a newshosting unlimited for years and years with very few issues.

2. An indexer. Some are private but plenty aren’t and usually throwing a $10 tip gets you good access to them for a year or more.

3. Software. Both a client for pulling the files, and ideally a combination of sonarr/radarr to do automation which is your best way of getting stuff before DMCA strikes as well as not having to lift a finger for the stuff you want.

That’s pretty much it. It’s fairly straightforward. Look up the TRaSH Guides for more specifics about configuring things exactly.

Perfect. That's enough to get me started. Also, would you mind chatting on discord/PM regarding DMCA/safety stuff? you...probably get that question so apologies

Takes No Damage posted:

9296799, I'm just not cool enough :(

Youtube will have 100s of videos about setting up every piece of software you might need, just search for 'media server' videos that mention your OS and most of the software you want to use. But very roughly you'll need:

A usenet account (Frugal is one of the better ones IMO)
An indexer to actually search usenet (NZBGeek is a good place to start)
A download client (SANbzbd or NZBGet)
Whatever media managers you need (Sonarr, Radarr etc)

Mash it all together feed it to Plex and you've got yourself a media server.

Ill look into Frugal then. Not sure if it helps/hinders that im on linux, and am still learning how linux works so the programs might be different. But thats a hurdle that I myselef have to overcome.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

buglord posted:

Perfect. That's enough to get me started. Also, would you mind chatting on discord/PM regarding DMCA/safety stuff? you...probably get that question so apologies

Ill look into Frugal then. Not sure if it helps/hinders that im on linux, and am still learning how linux works so the programs might be different. But thats a hurdle that I myselef have to overcome.

I'm using frugal + block news. Apparently if you do a year of frugal you get 300+ g of block . I'm monthly tho.
Dmca is mostly tied to upload. Torrents are typically ratio based, so up/down. Usenet is d/l only so sort of side steps all that. I'm sure there are cases that happen, but mostly were in the grey.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Luckily this stuff is pretty nerdy already, and nerds love Linux. You'll find no shortage of tutorials about getting everything set up on whatever distro you happen to be running.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I always figured having SSL on was the general key and not to worry about it too far beyond that. I've downloaded so many pdfs of the Anarchist Cookbook over the years that if there was some kind of flaw in that methodology it would have been flagged by someone, somewhere.

For provider I personally like Newsgroup Ninja; I've been paying $39 a year (which is just over $3 a month) since forever and it fully saturates a 1gig connection with no GB limits (that's a lotta Cookbooks my friends!) and the retention is insane so whatever backbone it's on, it's good. Legendary levels of Anarchist Cookbook retention- I've been downloading the same PDF that got uploaded in 2003 many, many times a day.

The secret though has always been reupping as soon as you can during a sale, and black friday is usually the best one. Once you're locked in most providers will happily charge you that price for perpetuity.

So yeah get SSL and if you care, make sure you get a provider on a good retention backbone and then you'll probably pay a little more if you can't wait for a sale but you can re-up on the sale price when that time comes and that time since it's june is probably black friday or labor day or some poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The people who get dinged are the people distributing stuff and seeding torrents.

I can’t think of a time I’ve heard about anyone ever being busted for just downloading their Linux ISOs without there being an element of “and it was off a p2p network so they also distributed it”.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah that's fair. Torrents make me paranoid as gently caress, I know it's irrational but here we are. It makes me feel like an old in some ways, since it feels like everyone has a VPN. But it's not just that; torrenting never sat right with me because I have zero interest in giving back to the system, so it makes me feel ethically dirty to get something off torrent with no intention to then seed it after, right?

Luckily now that I'm no longer on fiber, but instead gigabit cable modem, the problem is very helpfully solved for me since the connection is literally like 1000 download / 20mbps upload.

Just curious, is that a problem inherent in the cable modem structure, or do the cable companies just not want you to upload anything, ever?

On a practical level it feels ridiculous that a line can do 1000 in one way and then just going the opposite way it can barely do anything but what do I know...? I'm just a connoisseur of bespoke anti-society PDFs.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AFAIK which probably isn’t very far it’s still asymmetric because even though it goes both ways you’re making use of the same width of pipe for both directions and sharing most of it with other users, and since downloading is more useful to more end users the bulk of that width is dedicated to downstream.

You can get symmetric connections by paying out the rear end for them because then you’re obviously buying a bigger pipe to push all your poo poo through.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There was a limited amount of total capacity available on cable TV networks for broadband and the providers decided to focus on download speeds to advertise big numbers, and it’s sort of stuck. New fibre providers tend to go symmetric to give them a bit of a USP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
Anyone have any idea what happened to NZBCat?