Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DLC Inc posted:

Feels like I really need some Spirit-maxing gear because I want to be a shredwolf and zip around the field but I run out of steam quick.

It comes later, there's some pretty key upgrades in the paragon tree and aspects that refund you spirit as you crowd control people. It is pretty rough until you're able to get those upgrades but that build is definitely a bit of a late bloomer because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DLC Inc posted:

so far my one gripe is that I've been doing Tier 2 for 95% of the story but usually need to drop it down to Tier 1 for Big Bosses. I don't really need to do it if I play Necromancer but with Druid it's rougher earlygame.

Feels like I really need some Spirit-maxing gear because I want to be a shredwolf and zip around the field but I run out of steam quick.

I recommend focusing on claw and using shred as your gapcloser until you get one of the aspects that really fleshes out shred. Auto-attacker wolf is surprisingly solid for T2 with yellow gemmed weapons, stacked attack speed and crits.

Creeper and ravens both have perks that help with crit, and there's a druid specialization that can reset their actives when you crit. Meanwhile they also provide much needed aoe damage.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 15, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i hope the season resets absoltuely everything

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
According to Blizz, the Butcher is responsible for about 2.6% of all player deaths since launch. Outpacing every other mob significantly despite being a rare spawn that only appears in dungeons.

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the panacea posted:

I just opened the thread to ask if anyone tried thorn necro. :skeltal:

considering how barebones ( :dadjoke: ) my gear was it was surprisingly effective. If it wasn't a fallen dungeon my clear time might have been half as long but I had absolutely no killing power for the elite shamans lmao.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to Blizz, the Butcher is responsible for about 2.6% of all player deaths since launch. Outpacing every other mob significantly despite being a rare spawn that only appears in dungeons.

lol

everything about d4 butcher owns. reminds me of nemesis in RE3.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My friend wants me to catch up to him, he's level 70 and I'm 17. I'm using sorc. What's good for fast leveling - everything, don't worry about it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

trevorreznik posted:

My friend wants me to catch up to him, he's level 70 and I'm 17. I'm using sorc. What's good for fast leveling - everything, don't worry about it?

Running dungeons or helltides + legion events.

If you haven't finished the campaign, then run the campaign with him.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

trevorreznik posted:

Have your friend ferry you into wt4 by doing all the dungeons for you and then leech exp from them while they solo nms.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

trevorreznik posted:

get your friend to do the wt3 and 4 capstones for you then just stand at the start of a dungeon while he clears it so you get xp and can eventually follow in his footsteps for all the loot that dropped

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

IMHO renown should be static and not have to be redone after the first completion. It should be tied to world exploration a la GW2.

If they want to have renown turn off and seasonal reward tracks for each zone after completion that would be fine, but they should be more engaging than statues.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

everything about d4 butcher owns.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, there is an actual secret highest item tier that is only dropped by the rare spawn mobs with a base ilvl of 845.

The problem is that the rare mobs always drop items with fixed affixes and most of them are garbage.

But, if you want the highest base DPS possible on your weapon and are one of the very few builds where the fixed affixes for one of these items actually work for you, then it is technically the best drop in the game currently.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d4/news/where-to-get-the-highest-item-level-gear-in-diablo-4-840-base/

The main use for this is that they are a guaranteed drop. So you can hit World Tier 4 and immediately get an 845 ilvl weapon to massively boost your damage even if it has garbage affixes.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 15, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've only fought him once and won because lol waiting until I was 58 to show was not a good plan, buddy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

tell him to roll an alt and stop being a prick

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wonder how many HC characters bit it to the Butcher, especially if anyone went HC first and didn't know what to expect.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok pulverize druid is kinda slow and boring now after like 70 levels, ive seen some arc lash sorcs obliterating poo poo, gonna try that. will I eventually have to swap to ice shards or can i stay arc lash right into nighmare stuff?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

queeb posted:

ok pulverize druid is kinda slow and boring now after like 70 levels, ive seen some arc lash sorcs obliterating poo poo, gonna try that. will I eventually have to swap to ice shards or can i stay arc lash right into nighmare stuff?

You can do either shards or lash and be fine…

But be aware that Im considering switching to druid because sorc is kinda slow and boring now, lol.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wemgo posted:

You can do either shards or lash and be fine…

But be aware that Im considering switching to druid because sorc is kinda slow and boring now, lol.

diablo4.txt

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Haven't played a Diablo game since the late '90s. Diablo IV hype piqued my interest again, so I downloaded Diablo from GoG and having a good nostalgic time that has me thinking about jumping into Diablo IV. But I wanted to ask, is there a any reason to buy D2 and D3 and play a run through each of those prior? Or just jump right in?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pioneer42 posted:

Haven't played a Diablo game since the late '90s. Diablo IV hype piqued my interest again, so I downloaded Diablo from GoG and having a good nostalgic time that has me thinking about jumping into Diablo IV. But I wanted to ask, is there a any reason to buy D2 and D3 and play a run through each of those prior? Or just jump right in?

They are both good games, but not really necessary at all to play and understand D4.

You can watch the Book of Lorath Lore videos they put out and get caught up on the story from both games and their expansions in about 25 minutes.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
When I switched to T3 the Butcher was in the very first dungeon I wisited and he kicked my rear end. Haven’t seen him since but it would be nice get a payback.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are both good games, but not really necessary at all to play and understand D4.

You can watch the Book of Lorath Lore videos they put out and get caught up on the story from both games and their expansions in about 25 minutes.

D3 is a really fun first playthrough imo.

Edit: oh. This guy would be buying it. Idk. It goes on decently steep sale sometimes on console, maybe watch for that if you're curious. But the story is poo.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Sorbus posted:

When I switched to T3 the Butcher was in the very first dungeon I wisited and he kicked my rear end. Haven’t seen him since but it would be nice get a payback.

That’s rough.

I’ve run in to him 6 times now or so? He killed me when I was level 15 but every other time I’ve got him (sometimes just barely) and he always drops good stuff.

Also no idea how I’m going to fill my renown. I can’t find any other side quests in dry steppes and doing all the dungeons will leave me 60 or so short. Just let it drop from world events please blizz.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 15, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pioneer42 posted:

d2 is godlike and a must play game. d3 is a hard skip.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

D3 rules and the RoS story is good but if you're only buying it for one playthrough of the story then just watch the Book of Lorath videos.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

butcher owns. ran into him at level 13 and I hadn't gotten an upgrade or upgraded my potions since like 5 and i got stomped. ran into him at 53 and stomped him back.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
D3 is a good game but ultimately very shallow. The campaign is rotten rear end though, avoid unless you like watching saturday morning cartoons

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I got questions on the sorc basic enchants

If i use the enchant passive that adds % chill to direct attacks, is it chill per hit or per attack. like if i hit someone with the ice shard gatling gun blast is that adding % chill for all of the projectiles or just one

Does the chill passive add more chill to the direct attacks from deep freeze

Does it do literally anything at all with blizzard, because that doesn't feel like a Direct Attack and doesn't seem to proc the fire basic passive

Does anyone think it's worthwhile even with the ice shards passive or is it definitely take the fire basic attack passive always

Also, how long do people think I have to get to high level and benefit from the infinite mana ice shard builds before they nuke it and I give up on sorc

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mst4k posted:

Also no idea how I’m going to fill my renown. I can’t find any other side quests in dry steppes and doing all the dungeons will leave me 60 or so short. Just let it drop from world events please blizz.

Have you done all your statues and map reveals? Strongholds? I've got 630 to go in the area (been slowly working my way through other zones first) but I still have two strongholds and 16 dungeons to go so I don't have to do any more sidequests if I really want to (I don't I am going to do as many as I can find)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm almost done with the campaign on my necromancer and one thing I feel they really whiffed on is the early itemization & progression for slower players, where the campaign and 1-50 may be a week or two of playtime. (I'm a new parent)

In D3 with loot 2.0 around level 10 you'd start getting legendaries with at least temporary build defining affixes or fun abilities. They usually wouldn't scale of course, to progress you did need a Set or the One Item that let you power up without them.

Almost level 50 and have absolutely, literally, none of those. A few marginal abilities around doing extra damage in a barrier. Not a single piece of gear has been much better than "green number slightly up," which has made progression feel really slow and lame. D3 was far too item based but D4 feels too skills based on where the power comes from.

The entire game, from the large map to the static side dungeons to the way individual skills have levels reminds me a LOT of Grim Dawn, which is a great ARPG but also suffers from (IMO) a pretty boring first play through and weak initial itemization.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 15, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
If you move counterclockwise around the butcher in melee range he tends to just whiff you with most of his attacks

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Add my freaking lucky hit blizzard... I am stacking this poo poo and only got 3 percent change on orb come on boys.

The meteors are starting to rain pretty heavy though and my stats are still tended towards arc lash. Supressor elites are tough on their own but otherwise smooth as silk. Considering a two hander with good stats may be the go, is anyone aware if blizzard ticks faster with weapon speed?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

trevorreznik posted:

Just play on T1 and do the story and your friend can join if he wants, you're gonna burn out if you try poopsocking to 70. The story is real good and you'll be close to 50 by the end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bus hustler posted:

I'm almost done with the campaign on my necromancer and one thing I feel they really whiffed on is the early itemization & progression for slower players, where the campaign and 1-50 may be a week or two of playtime. (I'm a new parent)

In D3 with loot 2.0 around level 10 you'd start getting legendaries with at least temporary build defining affixes or fun abilities. They usually wouldn't scale of course, to progress you did need a Set or the One Item that

Almost level 50 and have absolutely, literally, none of those. A few marginal abilities around doing extra damage in a barrier. Not a single piece of gear has been much better than "green number slightly up," which has made progression feel really slow and lame. D3 was far too item based but D4 feels too skills based on where the power comes from.

The entire game, from the large map to the static side dungeons to the way individual skills have levels reminds me a LOT of Grim Dawn, which is a great ARPG but also suffers from (IMO) a pretty boring first play through and weak initial itemization.

I think you might've been unlucky, I was in full orange by level 25. You also get legendary aspects, some of which are build defining, as dungeon rewards and I think those are squarely targeted at early to mid-game levelling.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

zoux posted:

I think you might've been unlucky, I was in full orange by level 25. You also get legendary aspects, some of which are build defining, as dungeon rewards and I think those are squarely targeted at early to mid-game levelling.

That's insane I've still not even seen orange items in a number of slots and most have them have been unusable

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bus hustler posted:

That's insane I've still not even seen orange items in a number of slots and most have them have been unusable

Have you been imprinting Rares to make Legendaries? That's kind of the whole point of the codex and ability to extract things from one piece of gear that you need to put in a different slot.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

IcePhoenix posted:

Have you done all your statues and map reveals? Strongholds? I've got 630 to go in the area (been slowly working my way through other zones first) but I still have two strongholds and 16 dungeons to go so I don't have to do any more sidequests if I really want to (I don't I am going to do as many as I can find)

Yeah getting all the statues was actually fun? Took a few hours with a map so wasn’t that bad. All strongholds as well. I guess I’ll do all the dungeons and hope I run in to more side quests… I didn’t know the “!” only appeared when you were in the same little sub zone as the quest giver until recently :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bus hustler posted:

What content did you do while leveling, I got a ton from events and rolling shards. I think gambling has a much higher hit rate than D3, I don't think I've had a obol dump that didn't result in at least one orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

explosivo posted:

Have you been imprinting Rares to make Legendaries? That's kind of the whole point of the codex and ability to extract things from one piece of gear that you need to put in a different slot.

yes the legendaries have been absolute dog poo poo, bad roles even if you can squint and find the affix somewhat useful. ive not found a single piece of gear in almost 50 levels that has really improved my life or made me feel more powerful. the game has been a really tedious slog up until now and im glad im just having bad luck, because it made me literally never want to level an alt.