Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Did they say somewhere that those PC minimum specs are for 60 or are we about to see a PC game that runs 30-50 fps on most machines most of the time?

Once again, this is Bethesda, so probably the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

orcane posted:

No mainline Forzas on BC so I have to do with 5 (bad), 6 (alright I guess?) or 7 (awful) :argh:

There can't be another genre of games that's been as badly let down by digital preservation as racing games. The 360/PS3 gen was a treasure trove and you can play nearly none of them on any hardware since (or at least buy them today - 360 back compat makes it a bit better if you bought them digitally at the time)

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mirrors Edge at 4K60 looks better than most games now lol

DICE made a ton of smart decisions for the game graphically. The game had rather high resolution textures (and I think fairly detailed environment models) for the time, as well as some really well done pre-rendered lighting, and its let the game age pretty great

For as mid as the sequel is its a shame that its still locked to 720p, though you can play it at 120fps on the Series X if you really want

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bumhead posted:

There can't be another genre of games that's been as badly let down by digital preservation as racing games. The 360/PS3 gen was a treasure trove and you can play nearly none of them on any hardware since (or at least buy them today - 360 back compat makes it a bit better if you bought them digitally at the time)

The funny thing is there's PC racing games from 2003 that are still available on Steam, licensed content and all. Though GTR2 and GT Legends had their Ferraris and I think Lamborghinis removed but also you can just install the NoCD crack and restore those. It does reinforce my major opinion that if you're not doing realism you should just make up some cars, Split/Second and the Burnout games have nothing stopping them from being backwards compatible. Though EA will never put anything except Burnout Paradise up and while I think it's a bad game Activision is never going to renew licenses to make Blur available.

Twerk from Home posted:

Did they say somewhere that those PC minimum specs are for 60 or are we about to see a PC game that runs 30-50 fps on most machines most of the time?

If they've tied physics to framerate again and the PC version is 30 locked I'm going to laugh so loving hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats the kind of situation where you airlift in the guy that fixed darksouls 2 and offer him to name his price

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats the kind of situation where you airlift in the guy that fixed darksouls 2 and offer him to name his price

Why? He or someone else would just do it for free.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Didn't he say he was quitting modding because he'd heard companies explicitly say that they could just wait for him to do their work for free?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Starfield is locked to 30 so it can run on the S

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Is Xbox Live acting weird for anyone else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit that I spent too much time with TotK to really care if a game is 30fps as long as it has fun stuff to do.

The latter is to be seen with Starfield honestly

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

ZeeBoi posted:

the S stands for Stable Frame Rate

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The last two letters weren't included in the name to decrease the processing load to render and ensure the stable frame rate.

It's smart thinking like that gets you stable!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox 2023: addition by subtraction

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I admit that I spent too much time with TotK to really care if a game is 30fps as long as it has fun stuff to do.

The latter is to be seen with Starfield honestly

Switch is running on ~8 year old hardware, they had no choice.

Xbox Series X is the “world’s most powerful console” according to Microsoft. They made a choice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZeeBoi posted:

It is locked to 30 fps because Todd Howard and Bethesda Game Works are fail OP.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://youtu.be/i9ikne_9iEI

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
mods please make me IK so i can Perma Ban anyone who tries to respond to any post with a Youtube Link

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have the smooth brain of a console player but 30FPS is fine to me

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ZeeBoi posted:

Switch is running on ~8 year old hardware, they had no choice.

breath of the wild was also 30 fps when the switch was new tho

TotK feels great for 30fps, and i say that as a pc player who always prioritizes fps over resolution.

if starfield feels responsive at low fps like the new zeldas or bloodborne, great. if it feels like clunky poo poo like redfall then yeesh.

either way I'm playing starfield on my pc thru pc gamepass!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Df starting off with:
"Lets get right into it...i've always said framerate is chosen to help realize a developers vision..."
is very funny given that all they do is criticize fps. Didnt watch passed that maybe it gets less funny

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This MF Posted A 45 Minute Youtube Video As A Rebuttal

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

Didn't he say he was quitting modding because he'd heard companies explicitly say that they could just wait for him to do their work for free?
The DSFix guy has gone full commercial and does professional PC and Switch porting work nowadays.

The guy who created SilentPatch for the GTA games works on game porting professionally, but also still does hobbyist mods on the side and occasionally does freelance work where he pulls his modding tricks for official re-releases.
https://twitter.com/__silent_/status/1666072146215571456

There's probably a few other examples of similar cases.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I watched more and its like "they are trying to make tracking 1000 planets worth of sandwiches possible" so no its a very funny series of takes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thinking of buying cyberpunk again on Xbox…hmmm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait until the DLC is out and see if it actually justifies the hype. Thr big changes aren't coming until then anyway

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

breath of the wild was also 30 fps when the switch was new tho

Wii U game that was ported.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I watched more and its like "they are trying to make tracking 1000 planets worth of sandwiches possible" so no its a very funny series of takes

Shocking that DF, known to treat 30fps limits like a war crime, are way more generous with their language than usual when given exclusive pre-release access to something.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Achievement notifications aren't working or achievements aren't popping period. My profile says online status unknown. What the gently caress is going on.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

njsykora posted:

And the CPU minimum is also a generation older than the Xbox's so the theory that its CPU bound also doesn't really hold water. If I was being super cynical I'd say with Microsoft building its gaming business around a subscription service that needs to retain users when there's no first party releases gives them the option to release the 60fps mode later to bring people back to Game Pass. Since this is another first party game launching without a performance mode after Redfall which they straight up said would come after launch.

But also yeah, it's a Bethesda game so that 30fps is probably not going to be stable either way until a few months of patches have gone into it.

I don't think they're playing that kind of chess with Starfield and GamePass retention. I bet a Series X "Performance mode" is doable but takes man-hours, so it got de-prioritized to after launch so they can make their date.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ZeeBoi posted:

Wii U game that was ported.

ok

my point is that the switch has been underpowered to run its games at 60fps from the jump

it does not help its case that it could not run wii u games at 60fps either?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Do it op. It goes on sale digitally for $30 all the time, and you can probably even buy it physically for less.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Plague tale 2 launched with a normal 30 mode and a 40 vrr mode and said something like 60 was not doable for their game then months down the line put a 60 mode in. I'm hoping and thinking starfield will have something similar happen. Saying you can't do it or not mentioning a 60 mode is just simpler for the devs in regards to dealing with deadlines and expectations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

Shocking that DF, known to treat 30fps limits like a war crime, are way more generous with their language than usual when given exclusive pre-release access to something.

I don't know what it is about DF that gets people donning tinfoil hats like this. Lately they've been bending over backward to explain how TotK is a technical marvel despite its 30fps target with occasional dips. They take software demands and hardware limitations into account when critiquing performance

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

ok

my point is that the switch has been underpowered to run its games at 60fps from the jump

it does not help its case that it could not run wii u games at 60fps either?

Super Mario Odyssey runs at 60 fps, as does Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Metroid Prime Remastered, Smash, Splatoon, MK11, and a bunch of others. Every game that runs on a console at 60 fps got that way because the developers prioritized it at the expense of effects, rendering features, and (sometimes) gameplay mechanics that necessitate a longer rendering time for each frame on the given hardware. "30 fps console" and "60 fps console" isn't a thing, and the way you're talking about this makes you sound like some moron from TikTok comments.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

moon demon posted:

Do it op. It goes on sale digitally for $30 all the time, and you can probably even buy it physically for less.

I refunded cyberpunk after 5 hrs on launch cause it sucked rear end, then I tried the free play weekend when I was told "It's good now™" and tons of the underlying problems and unsatisfying elements were still there. Also I remember when they were selling the game to anyone they could for 10 dollars. They'll be lucky if I buy the game and DLC for 20 dollars total and that's only happening if the DLC actually does revamp the game like it promises. I'm skeptical of CPDR promises though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Seltzer posted:

Plague tale 2 launched with a normal 30 mode and a 40 vrr mode and said something like 60 was not doable for their game then months down the line put a 60 mode in. I'm hoping and thinking starfield will have something similar happen. Saying you can't do it or not mentioning a 60 mode is just simpler for the devs in regards to dealing with deadlines and expectations.

Plague Tale's 60fps mode still runs the rats at 30fps and looks worse than its 40fps mode.

A ton of 30fps Switch games run animations at 15fps and look heinous.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Plague Tale's 60fps mode still runs the rats at 30fps and looks worse than its 40fps mode.

A ton of 30fps Switch games run animations at 15fps and look heinous.

"a ton"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Listen, just because the physical media weighs practically nothing...

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

acksplode posted:

I don't know what it is about DF that gets people donning tinfoil hats like this. Lately they've been bending over backward to explain how TotK is a technical marvel despite its 30fps target with occasional dips. They take software demands and hardware limitations into account when critiquing performance

Yeah they've specifically called out multiple games even recently that are better to play at 30 because that's the more consistent option, or the graphical trade-off is worth it. Just enormous mischaracterizations ITT. Not to mention this all is just based off the publicly available footage, no special access at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digital Foundry aren't really all that dogmatic about 30fps and acknowledge when a game runs well at that target. They do call out when framerates are unstable and/or poorly optimized though, which is exactly what you'd expect a tech enthusiast channel to do.