Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

what im trying to say here is the liberal politicians are getting more overtly racist than trump.

Lmao, of course that's what you're trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

MIR is Мир, translates to "world" or "peace". loving brilliant

It also refers to a pre-1917 Autonomous peasant commune, in control of forests and arable land,responsible to pass taxes on to the imperial administration. It would redistribute land amongst the peasanta every so often. Mh...

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Orange Devil posted:

Lol I'm im the 6%, so nice to always feel politically isolated.

name-post accuracy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

video excerpt of his remarks
https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1669312294319210499

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

If this map is accurate, Ukraine broke up their corps/division artillery bdes

Which is less than ideal

Question about the units not identified to an area. The "artillery" icon with some kind of wing under the dot, would that be a target acquisition battalion even if missing the partial circle with lightning into it from NATO or some weird type of artillery unit?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

genericnick posted:

Lmao, of course that's what you're trying to say.
trump afaik has not invoked throwing an entire ethnicity into concentration camps as a justification for one of his ethnic-based discrimination policies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-sweden-erdogan-nato-no-membership-vilnius-summit

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://time.com/4140050/donald-trump-muslims-japanese-internment/

quote:

Exclusive: Donald Trump Says He Might Have Supported Japanese Internment

Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump told TIME that he does not know whether he would have supported or opposed the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.

“I would have had to be there at the time to tell you, to give you a proper answer,” he said during a recent interview in his office in New York City. “I certainly hate the concept of it. But I would have had to be there at the time to give you a proper answer.”

Trump added that he believes wartime sometimes requires difficult choices. “It’s a tough thing. It’s tough,” he said. “But you know war is tough. And winning is tough. We don’t win anymore. We don’t win wars anymore. We don’t win wars anymore. We’re not a strong country anymore. We’re just so off.”

Pressed numerous times during an appearance Monday morning on MSNBC to say whether or not the internment violated American values, Trump refused to respond.

trump was non-commital and refused to answer whether or not throwing japanese into concentration camps was a good idea -- as opposed to the czech president who is invoking it specifically as justified to racially profile an ethnicity.

more overt. case closed
:doink:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

trump afaik has not invoked throwing an entire ethnicity into concentration camps as a justification for one of his ethnic-based discrimination policies

Don't care about the dude though

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ice cream cone man at it again.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Question about the units not identified to an area. The "artillery" icon with some kind of wing under the dot, would that be a target acquisition battalion even if missing the partial circle with lightning into it from NATO or some weird type of artillery unit?

It refers to artillery UAV, like 4 RCA.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Big picture, Russia needs to be taken off the board before pivoting to China, even moreso now that de-dolarization is starting, countries like Egypt are joining BRICS etc.

I would guess they're hoping to weaken, then colour revolution, the governments of Russia and Belarus by making this war as costly as possible for Russia.

Isn't this the military strategy of Germany/Japan in WW2? Both Germany and Japan tried to rely on surprise and speed to knock out one side of the opponent and race to the other side to face the other opponents. Both Germany and Japan tried to avoid "two front war" because they had less access to oil and industrial strength to fight long term war.

It was smart for Russia to retreat from Kherson and setup the trenches for long term conflict. Turning the war long term relies much more on industrial output capacity, and much less on NATO intelligence and reconnaissance.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

lmao and Sweden just extradited a PKK member back to Turkey as well

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

There must be literally a dozen books in my house about the existential threat of China and the inevitability of conflict, and CATO is not even on a China desk.

Dozens of books published every year about the evil of China except there are only handful of think tanks who can read Chinese and almost all of them are Chinese immigrants.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

Isn't this the military strategy of Germany/Japan in WW2? Both Germany and Japan tried to rely on surprise and speed to knock out one side of the opponent and race to the other side to face the other opponents. Both Germany and Japan tried to avoid "two front war" because they had less access to oil and industrial strength to fight long term war.

It was smart for Russia to retreat from Kherson and setup the trenches for long term conflict. Turning the war long term relies much more on industrial output capacity, and much less on NATO intelligence and reconnaissance.

I would love to see a graph comparing European dependance on Russian gas to Japanese dependance on US oil.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Dozens of books published every year about the evil of China except there are only handful of think tanks who can read Chinese and almost all of them are Chinese immigrants.

AI will solve this

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DancingShade posted:

The EU is definitely on the decline on the whole and if the US ever stops propping up NATO expect it to collapse as everyone starts grabbing the remaining pie. Slowest EU nation to act gets the tab.

It's going to be Germany. Macron is already pushing for independent EU foreign policy in the middle of the Ukraine war. Funny thing about Macron is he doesn't walk back on the things he said during visit to Beijing. Other fence sitters like little Marcos would say one thing in Beijing and say different things when he get back home. Macron hasn't changed his tune. There is even rumor of him attending the upcoming BRICS summit.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Jun 15, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don't see the EU really breaking up in so far, there isn't a strong reason for the French/German rivalry to return, and most of Western Europe really doesn't have an actual issue with each other. It is really the Balkans/Eastern Europe where it is going to be more hairy.

The Germans are will always bank on Mittleeuropa, and if the "experiment in the East" fails again for a third time, they will go back to what they normally do and make a deal with the Russians in exchange for dominating Central Europe as they normally do. There isn't a real reason to break up Schengen or trade, Europe is just too interdependent at this point.

The big shift will be just being more reliant on trade and investment from China and potentially cheap energy from the Russians again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Watching this documentary of Bear Grylls interviewing Zelenskyy and... Bear Grylls is British?!?!?!

What the fucj

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

While I dig around for something answering this, it's worth remembering that these people have as close to no self-awareness as you can imagine. For example, published this year, Plato Goes to China: The Greek Classics and Chinese Nationalism, which is essentially a book about how all of the Chinese students we smugly educated in elite western universities about how we're the heirs of Classical Greece had the nerve to universalize those philosophers and see China as part of a global civilization.

"The surprising story of how Greek classics are being pressed into use in contemporary China to support the regime’s political agenda

As improbable as it may sound, an illuminating way to understand today’s China and how it views the West is to look at the astonishing ways Chinese intellectuals are interpreting—or is it misinterpreting?—the Greek classics. In Plato Goes to China, Shadi Bartsch offers a provocative look at Chinese politics and ideology by exploring Chinese readings of Plato, Aristotle, Thucydides, and other ancient writers. She shows how Chinese thinkers have dramatically recast the Greek classics to support China’s political agenda, diagnose the ills of the West, and assert the superiority of China’s own Confucian classical tradition.

In a lively account that ranges from the Jesuits to Xi Jinping, Bartsch traces how the fortunes of the Greek classics have changed in China since the seventeenth century. Before the Tiananmen Square crackdown, the Chinese typically read Greek philosophy and political theory in order to promote democratic reform or discover the secrets of the success of Western democracy and science. No longer. Today, many Chinese intellectuals use these texts to critique concepts such as democracy, citizenship, and rationality. Plato’s “Noble Lie,” in which citizens are kept in their castes through deception, is lauded; Aristotle’s Politics is seen as civic brainwashing; and Thucydides’s criticism of Athenian democracy is applied to modern America.

What do antiquity’s “dead white men” have left to teach? By uncovering the unusual ways Chinese thinkers are answering that question, Plato Goes to China opens a surprising new window on China today.

Yes, the Chinese care about the Western classics"

How loving dare they!

Its hilarious that they're mad that Chinese might have a different interpretation of the same texts because they're not the same interpretations their teachers told them were the right ones.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Watching this documentary of Bear Grylls interviewing Zelenskyy and... Bear Grylls is British?!?!?!

What the fucj

Also Survivorman is ten times better than Bear Grylls

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the fucj

did his love of piss not give it away?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

If this map is accurate, Ukraine broke up their corps/division artillery bdes

Which is less than ideal

Jesus they're really doing August 1914, again, but somehow dumber

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Springer has put out a bunch of books on China, NATO and Ukraine I’ve been meaning to read these past few months, but my understanding is that they all say Russia needs to be defeated for NATO to do the same thing to China (the real threat) and save the “Post Cold War Order”.

of course, throwing Ukraine under the bus seems to be the best way to have done that, so I wonder if they feel pot committed and how far they are willing to push things with Russia. China obviously knows what the game is but has refrained from straight up arming Russia, which is weird considering that it’s all but admittedly a proxy war, of a proxy war with them, but maybe that’s out of consideration of the global south?

In the recent (upcoming) temporary truece one item China got out of US is that the US has allowed all TSMC and 2 S. Korean semiconductor companies (basically the big 3) expand their plants in China. So China still consider economic growth more important than outright supporting Russia. There going to be a few more Sino-US deals announced in Nov when Xi visit US.

Russia is not doing too badly in the war so China doesn't need to publicly take a side yet.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Jesus they're really doing August 1914, again, but somehow dumber

it's cool, no one knew how to do a peer war, it was all just theory and the theory was all bullshit haha

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

"The West wants to take out Russia so they can pivot to China" isn't really comparable to what Germany or Japan did because the latter was through direct military conquest from one front to another.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay so Bear Grylls says he wants to know how common ordinary Ukrainians are dealing with the war, so he interviews an average citizen, Alina Poliakova

It is not mentioned that this person is the managing editor of Ukrainska Pravda

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay so Bear Grylls says he wants to know how common ordinary Ukrainians are dealing with the war, so he interviews an average citizen, Alina Poliakova

yeah that's how this poo poo always goes.

I remember when the troubles in Venezuela were going on the BBC sent its reporter to interview a 'normal Venezuelan'. So he goes into the totally normal house thats huge, just a huge kinda McMansion style house complete with grand piano in the background. They very much supported Guaido.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

are we winning?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
if winning means having a good time then the only winner is Erdogan

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

OctaMurk posted:

Also Survivorman is ten times better than Bear Grylls

yep

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

In the recent (upcoming) temporary truece one item China got out of US is that the US has allowed all TSMC and 2 S. Korean semiconductor companies (basically the big 3) expand their plants in China. So China still consider economic growth more important than outright supporting Russia. There going to be a few more Sino-US deals announced in Nov when Xi visit US.

Russia is not doing too badly in the war so China doesn't need to publicly take a side yet.

Big brain foreign policy people see this as corporate interests weakening US hegemony,

"The changing alignment of US corporate and geopolitical interests regarding China is summarized in Table 4. There is not a period in which US corporations compete with their Chinese counterparts while the United States is China’s geopolitical ally (bottom row, left). We could put the US–Europe or the US– Japan relation there as a substitute. US corporations always saw European and Japanese corporations as competitors, even as the United States was in a formal alliance with Europe and Japan under NATO and the US–Japan Security Pact. Table 4 shows that while US geopolitical interests have conflicted with China’s most of the time, US corporate interests vary. Only when corporate and geopol- itical interests align on the side of enmity does Washington turn to a more antagonistic posture toward China. Varying US corporate interests in China are, in turn, a result of China’s changing political economy. Both the economic interests of capital (as definied from a Marxian perspective) and the geopolitical interests of the state (as defined from a Weberian perspective) are significant in shaping the US–China relationship."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Brookings Institute: Meet Alina Polyakova, David Rubenstein Fellow in the Center for United States and Europe in the Foreign Policy program
:thunk:

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the fucj

If you really want to be tripped out, watch an interview with Christian Bale sometime

Not only is he British, he may be the most British man alive. He sounds like a dude who sells jellied eels for a living

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

If you really want to be tripped out, watch an interview with Christian Bale sometime

Not only is he British, he may be the most British man alive. He sounds like a dude who sells jellied eels for a living

Superman witcher guy talking in Brit accent weird me out.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Brett Goldstein's real voice fucks with me after three seasons of Roy Kent's growl.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

Wait till you hear the superman witcher guy swoon over some Warhammers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
My favorite surprising accent is how Welsh Matthew Rhys' real accent is. Timothy Dalton's is fun too.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

Big brain foreign policy people see this as corporate interests weakening US hegemony,

"The changing alignment of US corporate and geopolitical interests regarding China is summarized in Table 4. There is not a period in which US corporations compete with their Chinese counterparts while the United States is China’s geopolitical ally (bottom row, left). We could put the US–Europe or the US– Japan relation there as a substitute. US corporations always saw European and Japanese corporations as competitors, even as the United States was in a formal alliance with Europe and Japan under NATO and the US–Japan Security Pact. Table 4 shows that while US geopolitical interests have conflicted with China’s most of the time, US corporate interests vary. Only when corporate and geopol- itical interests align on the side of enmity does Washington turn to a more antagonistic posture toward China. Varying US corporate interests in China are, in turn, a result of China’s changing political economy. Both the economic interests of capital (as definied from a Marxian perspective) and the geopolitical interests of the state (as defined from a Weberian perspective) are significant in shaping the US–China relationship."

i genuinely do not understand this table

what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“power corrupts” is a liberal shibboleth to attack anything like a functioning democratic government