Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Democratic Pirate posted:

With how much healthcare costs are going up, I’m hoping my org throws in some fitness cost coverage for healthy living incentives. Playing tennis has helped me lose 25 lbs but it is expensive once you start breaking strings.

This reminds me I need to look in to what I can spend my allotment on. It would be nice to put towards an e-bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

Based on what Omne has posted I think they absolutely want him to stay in the role he is in but absolutely don't want him to move from it for whatever reason.

This is solidifying there is no path up. Even if this new guy flames out then you'd just get the position begrudgingly which is not an environment for success.

If the new guy were to flame out they'd give Omne the responsibilities without the pay or title and in addition to his existing job until they hire someone else again. He'd get a courtesy interview but would not be considered a serious candidate.

Omne has to either leave ASAP or accept his fate and the company's ownership of him.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Congratulations on being so indispensable in your current job that you won't be promoted I guess

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

CancerCakes posted:

Congratulations on being so indispensable in your current job that you won't be promoted I guess

A fate worse than death for some.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

it's shaped like a TV, the TV part is clear and it has a slit that you can put a picture inside of it so it's like you're making your own TV show!! But in mousepad form!!!!

This is actually kind of a fun gimmick gift as long as the mouse actually works on it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Smithwick posted:

A fate worse than death for some.

Thanks! I hate it!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Doc Control just migrated to compliance quest and as part of that migration decided the new format for page numbers would be "page X" not "page x of y". I had to tell them that this was absolutely not acceptable and they told me this was the standard a cross all documents now so deal. So I escalated to their director who had no idea this change was made and immediately agreed with me. I feel like an rear end in a top hat, but at least I'm not the rear end in a top hat stuck updating hundreds of document footers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Spikes32 posted:

Doc Control just migrated to compliance quest and as part of that migration decided the new format for page numbers would be "page X" not "page x of y". I had to tell them that this was absolutely not acceptable and they told me this was the standard a cross all documents now so deal. So I escalated to their director who had no idea this change was made and immediately agreed with me. I feel like an rear end in a top hat, but at least I'm not the rear end in a top hat stuck updating hundreds of document footers.

I don't think you should feel bad about that at all. People hosed up, you gave them the opportunity to unfuck it, they refused so you escalated appropriately.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

compliance quest

This sounds like something a german video game company would make as a RPG. From the makers of Euro Truck Tire Replacement Simulator 2022 comes a German Regulatory Paperwork Game (GRPG): Compliance Quest!

Compliance Quest: Where referring to the manual for how to get past the piracy protection is all part of the fun.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

This sounds like something a german video game company would make as a RPG. From the makers of Euro Truck Tire Replacement Simulator 2022 comes a German Regulatory Paperwork Game (GRPG): Compliance Quest!

Compliance Quest: Where referring to the manual for how to get past the piracy protection is all part of the fun.

This is amazing and the truth is so much worse. Compliance quest is made and sold by Salesforce.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat, but at least I'm not the rear end in a top hat stuck updating hundreds of document footers.

unless there's an obscene number of section breaks it seems like it would be a matter of setting the pagination format and then clicking "continue from previous" a few times at most.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 14, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sundae posted:

Strange game, the only winning move is not to play.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Lockback posted:

Based on what Omne has posted I think they absolutely want him to stay in the role he is in but absolutely don't want him to move from it for whatever reason.

This is solidifying there is no path up. Even if this new guy flames out then you'd just get the position begrudgingly which is not an environment for success.

Yeah it's really this. I have the support and backing of everyone except the person that ultimately makes this decision. They (and I) have spent months convincing my boss that he isn't capable of doing this job, so I assume there's some grudginess in there too

Eric the Mauve posted:

If the new guy were to flame out they'd give Omne the responsibilities without the pay or title and in addition to his existing job until they hire someone else again. He'd get a courtesy interview but would not be considered a serious candidate.

Omne has to either leave ASAP

I'm working on it!

Also, going way back into my posting history a few years, you'd be SHOCKED to learn that...the previous guy flamed out and left the week I was hired, and I took over (with the new title and a large pay bump). My boss just does not understand product management at all, other than it's important to a SaaS company. I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been a C-suite revolt and the BOD step in to replace him

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

HiroProtagonist posted:

unless there's an obscene number of section breaks it seems like it would be a matter of setting the pagination format and then clicking "continue from previous" a few times at most.

Hundreds of unique documents not pages. But also pages and sections

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spikes32 posted:

Hundreds of unique documents not pages. But also pages and sections

There are certainly ways that the change could be automated to some degree, but I agree that the better approach is to tell the people mandating an arbitrary change that no one else wants to pound sand.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

There are certainly ways that the change could be automated to some degree, but I agree that the better approach is to tell the people mandating an arbitrary change that no one else wants to pound sand.

also this.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Oh yes, now that swqa and this person's director is aware of this change they made without informing anyone, I'm out of it because I know it will be fixed and I don't need to step back in. How they hired someone this clueless to run their doc control system is beyond me though.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Omne posted:

Yeah it's really this. I have the support and backing of everyone except the person that ultimately makes this decision. They (and I) have spent months convincing my boss that he isn't capable of doing this job, so I assume there's some grudginess in there too

I'm working on it!

Also, going way back into my posting history a few years, you'd be SHOCKED to learn that...the previous guy flamed out and left the week I was hired, and I took over (with the new title and a large pay bump). My boss just does not understand product management at all, other than it's important to a SaaS company. I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been a C-suite revolt and the BOD step in to replace him

What did you do to get on your bosses bad side? It doesn’t have to be something that makes sense either.

I’ve gotten put on a poo poo list twice now, maybe at my next shop I’ll learn not to do this. My two confirmed things(there were others I’m sure) that put me on a poo poo list:

1: not tucking my shirt in to attend a (corporate event at a) sports stadium where it said dress code was jeans
2: not pretending that project was going ok, and by pointing out it was hosed and needed more resources to hit the unreasonable goals.

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 15, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Tempted by a username change:

https://i.imgur.com/YJ7TziL.mp4

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Trabant posted:

Tempted by a username change:

https://i.imgur.com/YJ7TziL.mp4

furiously updates dating profile

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Well my company just announced forced return to office. And managed to do almost everything as stupidly as possible.

1. No warning to managers or directors this was coming. Just an email to everyone this morning. So everyone has been in panic meetings trying to figure out how to talk to your people about it. No work is getting done.

2. It's 3 days a week in office but it's the same 3 days for everyone. Which means crowded desks, cafes, and parking lots on some days and empty on others.

3. Correction: it's 3 days for some and 4 for others. Managers and up are expected to come in 4 days (again specific days). The reason is so they can "collaborate and share with other managers" on that day too. (All the other managers in my department are at other cities across the country. I'm going to literally be sitting by myself in the office on video conferences every Tuesday)

4. It's everyone. No consideration for role or situation. So a lot of people who have no need at all to come in (like maybe they are on a team spread across the county and just do a support or tech role) still have to come in 3 days.

5. There is a limited exception process that requires you to apply and reapply every 6 months. The exception approvals will be made only at the Executive Committee level (aka good luck).

6. The communication failed to state any reasons for the decision and benefits to being in office were listed as "taking to coworkers" and "free coffee". It's clear that the execs just want people back in office because that's how things used to be.

7. I'm sure we will lose some talented people over this. I already had to talk with one of my team members who was on the verge of tears. Maybe I won't worry about that.... they might lose me too, tbh.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Wow they couldn't even be bothered to pretend it's for "the culture" and for "onboarding new hires?"

We're being pushed from 1 day to 2 a week, and it's clear to anyone paying attention the end-game is as many days back as they can get away with. But they are least disseminated the news like professionals.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Urgh I’m feeling adrift and could use some advice. Almost 2 weeks at my new job I don’t know, I just feel lost. I thought I was managing 2 proposals, but it turns out all that really meant was “make an outline and the PM will fill in the content.” I’m used to doing everything myself. I have nothing to do now. There is no one training me. The CEO told me on day one that she won’t give me projects and I need to be a self-starter. But I’ve dicked around doing busywork and don’t even know what to pretend to do anymore. Should I schedule a meeting with her to ask for some more direction, or just lie low and try to enjoy the slow times?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are we to understand this is a role where you should be given work to do, and being told "nah you're on your own buddy gl;hf" is unexpected and unusual for your role/field?

If so, I think the best way to play this situation is to be super upbeat and agreeable while not actually doing anything, unless/until you're directly given things to do. It probably leads to your eventual termination, but that could take years and in the meantime you'll be getting paid to do nothing (besides job search). This company is hosed and you should go right back into job searching mode IMO.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Why would they hire you if they didn't have work for you?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Zero One posted:

Well my company just announced forced return to office. And managed to do almost everything as stupidly as possible.

1. No warning to managers or directors this was coming. Just an email to everyone this morning. So everyone has been in panic meetings trying to figure out how to talk to your people about it. No work is getting done.

2. It's 3 days a week in office but it's the same 3 days for everyone. Which means crowded desks, cafes, and parking lots on some days and empty on others.

3. Correction: it's 3 days for some and 4 for others. Managers and up are expected to come in 4 days (again specific days). The reason is so they can "collaborate and share with other managers" on that day too. (All the other managers in my department are at other cities across the country. I'm going to literally be sitting by myself in the office on video conferences every Tuesday)

4. It's everyone. No consideration for role or situation. So a lot of people who have no need at all to come in (like maybe they are on a team spread across the county and just do a support or tech role) still have to come in 3 days.

5. There is a limited exception process that requires you to apply and reapply every 6 months. The exception approvals will be made only at the Executive Committee level (aka good luck).

6. The communication failed to state any reasons for the decision and benefits to being in office were listed as "taking to coworkers" and "free coffee". It's clear that the execs just want people back in office because that's how things used to be.

7. I'm sure we will lose some talented people over this. I already had to talk with one of my team members who was on the verge of tears. Maybe I won't worry about that.... they might lose me too, tbh.

Did they not explain the penalty for not coming in? Did they not carve out exceptions for people who were approved for remote work pre-Covid? Did they not have a clear answer for people who aren’t physically close to any offices to return to? Do they have no clear path in place for managers to ask those questions for their reports? Those gaps are all usually missing from return to office plans poorly thought out like yours.

For a lot of companies right now it feels like it’s purposely vague because they don’t want to be in the news for another round of layoffs, so a lovely return to office plan is designed to encourage people to quit instead.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eric the Mauve posted:

If so, I think the best way to play this situation is to be super upbeat and agreeable while not actually doing anything, unless/until you're directly given things to do. It probably leads to your eventual termination, but that could take years and in the meantime you'll be getting paid to do nothing (besides job search). This company is hosed and you should go right back into job searching mode IMO.

I'd also recommend socializing relentlessly and getting invited to a lot of meetings. That looks like you're working.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

This is the corporate thread. It's entirely possible to get hired because someone had an open headcount requisition and would either lose it if it wasn't used or someone else would get poo poo on if they couldn't fill it within X amount of time. Plus empire building by raw numbers.

Yes, I've watched this happen multiple times.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

remigious posted:

Urgh I’m feeling adrift and could use some advice. Almost 2 weeks at my new job I don’t know, I just feel lost. I thought I was managing 2 proposals, but it turns out all that really meant was “make an outline and the PM will fill in the content.” I’m used to doing everything myself. I have nothing to do now. There is no one training me. The CEO told me on day one that she won’t give me projects and I need to be a self-starter. But I’ve dicked around doing busywork and don’t even know what to pretend to do anymore. Should I schedule a meeting with her to ask for some more direction, or just lie low and try to enjoy the slow times?

Lie low, be super nice, look busy and job search your rear end off. The red flags this is throwing off are insane; I was in a similar situation and I wish I’d gotten out a whole lot faster.

Jenkl posted:

In my case, it was so my manager could grow his domain, and brag that he had me on staff. Despite not allowing me to do anything.

Basically trying to use the credibility of my qualifications / experience / reputation while ignoring everything I told him. It was not a great career move for me, but I did manage to get out and I’m doing much better now.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are we to understand this is a role where you should be given work to do, and being told "nah you're on your own buddy gl;hf" is unexpected and unusual for your role/field?

Ok, yeah I agree. I don’t think this is a great place for me long-term. I really wanted a job where I could work in-depth on proposals in a neat field, which was what I thought the job was going to entail based on the interviews, but their processes are so completely rear end-backwards and not aligning with the professional goals I have set for myself.
At this point I’m thinking of staying on through the end of the year (want to take advantage of two paid weeks off during the holidays) and then bouncing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If my company mandated RTO like that there's two possible options for me:

1) Immediately test the limits by refusing and having them kill a golden goose over RTO policy
2) Become a terrorist

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I went in one day when my last company forced return to office. I left less than half a day in because a lot of people were coughing and sneezing. When I asked my boss what the penalty for not going in he had no idea, they never told him how they were tracking or penalizing people.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zero One posted:

I would just not go and see if anyone notices. gently caress that noise. Also,

Vasudus posted:

If my company mandated RTO like that there's two possible options for me:

1) Immediately test the limits by refusing and having them kill a golden goose over RTO policy
2) Become a terrorist

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

remigious posted:

Ok, yeah I agree. I don’t think this is a great place for me long-term. I really wanted a job where I could work in-depth on proposals in a neat field, which was what I thought the job was going to entail based on the interviews, but their processes are so completely rear end-backwards and not aligning with the professional goals I have set for myself.
At this point I’m thinking of staying on through the end of the year (want to take advantage of two paid weeks off during the holidays) and then bouncing.

Don’t wait this long. The longer you stay, the harder it is to explain to interviewers that you haven’t done poo poo for the last year.

Get out now. If anyone asks why you’re moving on so fast, just say the position isn’t as described or “the company’s strategic direction shifted shortly after my hiring and I find myself under utilized.”

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My company's RTO policy was basically:

1.5 years ago: hey! hey! COVID protocols are easing up, all our offices are open now! come on back!

10-12 months ago: We're doing a census of badge usage. If you want your office to stay open, you better go there regularly.

6 months ago: We're closing non-contractually mandated offices and consolidating our corporate real estate. If you wanted your home office to stay open, you should have gone back more often.

3 months ago: You have to badge in twice a year to your home office. We don't care if it's two days in a row and then you gently caress off for 363 days.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My response when my last company tried to enforce RTO was to just not do it and nothing happened, though I had the blessing of my supervisor

My job responsibilities currently require time in (as in, I cannot do my job without going there to see what exists) but I'd do the same after the probationary period anywhere at this point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I'd also recommend socializing relentlessly and getting invited to a lot of meetings. That looks like you're working.

Yes exactly. Networking is much better for your prospects than working anyway.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Chainclaw posted:

Did they not explain the penalty for not coming in? Did they not carve out exceptions for people who were approved for remote work pre-Covid? Did they not have a clear answer for people who aren’t physically close to any offices to return to? Do they have no clear path in place for managers to ask those questions for their reports? Those gaps are all usually missing from return to office plans poorly thought out like yours.

For a lot of companies right now it feels like it’s purposely vague because they don’t want to be in the news for another round of layoffs, so a lovely return to office plan is designed to encourage people to quit instead.

lol

I just got out of a 60 minute long "half hour" meeting that was nothing but unanswered questions.

What about this situation? What about that? What happens when? And so on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Don’t wait this long. The longer you stay, the harder it is to explain to interviewers that you haven’t done poo poo for the last year.

Why would you ever bring this up to an interviewer? There is no need to say this, therefore no reason to explain it.

FrozenVent posted:

Get out now. If anyone asks why you’re moving on so fast, just say the position isn’t as described or “the company’s strategic direction shifted shortly after my hiring and I find myself under utilized.”

This line works at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I just ignore the RTO stuff and keep working remotely.

We got the preliminary audit report and I wanted to yell at my screen when it hit my inbox. The TL;DR version: "You had like five things which would've been minors or recommendations, so we put them all together into one major finding."

NO. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT. gently caress.

So now instead of five to six minor little things I need to fix over time, none of which really were particularly big, I have five or six HIGH PRIORITY INSANELY VISIBLE small things that aren't small anymore because the text next to them says MAJOR, and because there was a major finding, I have to do this all again next year when they come back. Procedure says that any major findings = you get a follow-up audit the next year on top of your regular audit, so TWO audits minimum next year.

A usual year: 4-6 minors, 6-8 recommendations (no requirement to do anything at all), maybe one major, no criticals.
This year: 0 recommendations, 0 minors, 1 major for my area. 3 majors for other areas, each of which also received zero recommendations or minors.

gently caress OFF.