Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
There was a recent 4K of The Trial from Studiocanal. Wonder if I'll regret having that one and not the Criterion version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

There was a recent 4K of The Trial from Studiocanal. Wonder if I'll regret having that one and not the Criterion version.

Seems like no

https://twitter.com/jlalibs/status/1669384597614780416?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is that the first Criterion UHD to not have HDR? It's pretty rare for the format, I think the only UHD I own that doesn't have it is The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I think several of the Criterion UHDs don't have HDR. Probably has to do with their purist idea about how a film should look/sound.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seventh Seal doesn’t have HDR for sure (but it still looks extremely good)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1669435407635828743?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

Sounds fun

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Johnny Mnemonic on the Criterion Channel gently caress yes :getin:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sometimes they update the specs later. Breathless was initially listed as SDR and now it's updated to Dolby Vision. Like The Trial, the 4K restoration is from StudioCanal.

Here's all the releases in HDR (instead of Dolby Vision) and SDR:

HDR:
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
Mildred Pierce
Raging Bull
The Virgin Suicides (technically SDR, but encoded HDR to use the increased color space)

SDR:
Branded to Kill
In the Mood for Love
Night of the Living Dead
The Rules of the Game
The Seventh Seal
Sound of Metal
Triangle of Sadness
Wings of Desire

I'd expect The Trial and Moonage Daydream to be updated eventually.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zardoz and A.I.

:waycool:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Dreams absolutely loving whips and rarely pops up on streaming

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

That list is conspicuously missing S1m0ne :mad:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh wow, Teknolust? That's gonna be interesting to revisit again (Lynn Hershman Leeson was one of my professors in undergrad until she was forced into retirement).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ex Machina is a good AI film, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know I’ve never seen Johnny Mnemonic, looking forward to that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

Oh wow, Teknolust? That's gonna be interesting to revisit again (Lynn Hershman Leeson was one of my professors in undergrad until she was forced into retirement).

she came to one of my film class lectures at cal in the early 2000s and told us she was working on a modern version of Frankenstein

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ex Machina is a good AI film, too.

Automata is way better. Automata kinda hosed me up for other robot movies because the ideas it has about intelligent robots are so clever and immediately obviously way more realistic than how robots are depicted in most other sci-fi. It's like, if you're just doing a killer robot story or whatever fine but if you wanna make me think seriously about the emergence of intelligent machine life you need to bring ideas to the table as or more compelling than what Automata did.

It's just a shame Automata is super loving boring.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Never seen it, I'll check it out.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

she came to one of my film class lectures at cal in the early 2000s and told us she was working on a modern version of Frankenstein

Yeah, I spoke to her about that when she came back for some event at my undergrad after her forced retirement. It was supposed to star Tilda Swinton but I guess it never got off the ground due to funding and Swinton’s star rising astronomically in the years since doing Teknolust.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 17, 2023

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
I hope they have the black & white version of Johnny Mnemonic available since it’s just relegated to an iTunes special feature now

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1627952275023925249

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kaizerkunkun/status/1670117182146228225?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

if he could pick any

taxi driver
joker
escape from new york
fight club
american psycho
nightwalker
drive
evangelion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Woodenlung posted:

if he could pick any

taxi driver
joker
escape from new york
fight club
american psycho
nightwalker
drive
evangelion

I don’t think any of those have Criterions.

And why Evangelion instead of Gundam? Zone of the Enders is very blatantly just a straight up remake of the first bit of Mobile Suit Gundam.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 17, 2023

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Gripweed posted:

I don’t think any of those have Criterions.

badly phrased, but that's what i meant with my first line.

and idk tbh. i have big blind spots in anime.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

taxi driver had a criterion LD

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Woodenlung posted:

badly phrased, but that's what i meant with my first line.

and idk tbh. i have big blind spots in anime.

You gotta make time for Mobile Suit Gundam. It's genuinely an excellent series, holds up to modern standards with flying colors. And it's like a goddamn skeleton key for understanding the anime that came after. Gundam was so influential that once you've watched it you will see the legacy of Gundam in tons of anime that came after.

Fun fact, at an event to promote the first Gundam movie two Gundam fans (who would both go on to become important figures in anime in their own right) cosplaying as Char and Lalah took to the stage and read a prepared statement in which they proclaimed that Gundam marked the beginning of a "New Century" of anime. Anime was no longer just mindless entertainment for children, it was serious stories that explored the breadth of human experience, and Gundam was the light that showed the way. Neon Genesis Evangelion's Japanese title is Shinseiki Evangelion. New Century Evangelion. The very title was a promise that Evangelion was an anime in the vein of Gundam!

Listen to Hideaki Anno, the creator of Gunbuster, Evangelion, and Shin Godzilla, when he says

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

But which Gundam? Where do I go to watch it?Gundam seems so daunting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kart Barfunkel posted:

But which Gundam? Where do I go to watch it?Gundam seems so daunting.

Mobile Suit Gundam. That's the first Gundam. There are arguments in favor of the TV series or the movie versions, but frankly either is fine. That's the historically important one and still one of the top shows in the franchise. The movies are on Netflix and were just added to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9iRU93dLzo

While that's the first Gundam, Many other excellent Gundam series are available, and most of them make excellent entry points to the franchise. The currently running Gundam series, Witch From Mercury, is bringing in a lot of new fans, as it requires no previous familiarity with the franchise and is the first Gundam series to have a queer protagonist. It's all on Youtube as well (watch the proglogue first, then episode 1 and so on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGW2JRxWUU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There's a stand-alone series airing right now if you just wanna get a footing which is pretty good, The Witch From Mercury. But most people will tell you to just hit the original 1979 series and dip around after that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
MS Gundam is so good but yea, be aware of the slow pace. I remember telling a bunch of friends in undergrad how much I liked the original MS Gundam and I got shouted down primarily because they weren’t patient enough to watch the entire thing through. :smith:

If you like it, highly recommend moving onto the sequel Zeta Gundam. Even better than the original but man, prepare to be bummed out (in a good way).

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 18, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The original series is absolutely worth watching because while the animation may look superficially dated at first glance and there are the occasional moments that are very obviously the production team bowing to investor pressure due to working on a project ostensibly intended for advertising toys to children, they get genuinely experimental in both the writing and visual style in ways that just weren’t being done at the time in the medium, and in ways that you absolutely would not expect from the pitch of “Giant robot TV show from the 70s.” It’s good as hell and genuinely compelling.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Alright fuckers let's make one thing clear: You start Gundam with a single alternate timeline one. Wing, G, whatever, pick your poison.

Then you go down the main timeline chronologically:
- MSG Movie Trilogy (compilation of the OG series with better animation at times)
- 0080 War In The Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- 0083 Stardust Memory (aka Top Gundam)
- Zeta (the GOAT Gundam series)
- ZZ
- Char's Counter Attack
- Unicorn
- Victory
- F91

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
G-Gundam is great because it starts out as a noir story, a man shows up in town with a torn picture asking everyone if they’ve seen the guy in the picture and getting the crap beat out of him by cops in a smoky backroom, then it almost completely loses that veneer and is a childrens tv show for a while, with some really goofy and fun gundam designs… then there’s a tournament arc.
It’s such a baffling show, and has some really fun moments, plus it’s not very long.

More on-topic, The Doom Generation is great. I saw Nowhere a couple years ago and wanted to watch the others he’s done, and drat is it good. I’m excited to round out the trilogy. I am glad I saved Nowhere because it’s impossible to find.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Alright fuckers let's make one thing clear: You start Gundam with a single alternate timeline one. Wing, G, whatever, pick your poison.

Then you go down the main timeline chronologically:
- MSG Movie Trilogy (compilation of the OG series with better animation at times)
- 0080 War In The Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- 0083 Stardust Memory (aka Top Gundam)
- Zeta (the GOAT Gundam series)
- ZZ
- Char's Counter Attack
- Unicorn
- Victory
- F91

That’s terrible advice. Mobile Suit Gundam -> Zeta -> ZZ -> Chars counterattack tell an ongoing story helmed by one creator, those need to be watched in order. But everything else came later and can be watched whenever.

0080 and 0083 especially are standalone side stories created by different people, you watch them by themselves just fine. And your experience with Zeta will not be richer for having seen them, because Zeta came first and wasn’t made for audiences that had seen those show because they didn’t exist yet!

Victory and F91 are set decades after Chars Counterattack, don’t continue any of the plot or character threads from it, and function as essentially standalone entries. They are also both rather polarizing so making them part of some “must watch” list will do nothing but put off a bunch of people.

Unicorn functions perfectly well as an entry point as it was created in part to get new fans interested in the older shows. If anything, people who haven’t seen the older shows yet end up liking Unicorn more than older fans because they don’t see how it’s retreading old ground.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This conversation is a great way to make sure nobody watches any Gundam ever

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gripweed posted:

That’s terrible advice. Mobile Suit Gundam -> Zeta -> ZZ -> Chars counterattack tell an ongoing story helmed by one creator, those need to be watched in order. But everything else came later and can be watched whenever.

0080 and 0083 especially are standalone side stories created by different people, you watch them by themselves just fine. And your experience with Zeta will not be richer for having seen them, because Zeta came first and wasn’t made for audiences that had seen those show because they didn’t exist yet!

Victory and F91 are set decades after Chars Counterattack, don’t continue any of the plot or character threads from it, and function as essentially standalone entries. They are also both rather polarizing so making them part of some “must watch” list will do nothing but put off a bunch of people.

Unicorn functions perfectly well as an entry point as it was created in part to get new fans interested in the older shows. If anything, people who haven’t seen the older shows yet end up liking Unicorn more than older fans because they don’t see how it’s retreading old ground.

I'm wrong then but NO.

What you actually want to do is start with Gundam Seed Destiny, then SD Gundam, then After War X, then Redo of Healer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s too late, Gundam Wing was basically my intro to anime as a kid :getin:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

piss?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Car Fire? Is Tokyo Drift finally getting accepted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
it's so hot in here