Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Char
Jan 5, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

So this is a perfect example of what I was saying before about splitting your focus. Blight and decompose are your only sources of shadow damage but you only have one point in blight, and you have six points in gloom and terror when the only one doing shadow damage is yourself because you're using cold mages. Those aren't a problem though, coldbringer's aspect is a ton of damage, though you should try to find the aspect that gives you two extra mages (three if you put it on your amulet) to really get them going.

Other optimizations that stand out to me:

-You don't have any blood orb generation. That unique chestpiece is literally just armor value and nothing else. Mother's Embrace isn't super useful either because of what I mentioned above but at least the crit strike and damage carries over to your summons.
yeah I know, I hoped I could find a way to generate orbs but I can't do it safely. I was looking into other options but had no decent chest enchants.

quote:

-Skeletal defenders don't do enough damage to make them worth using offensively and monster/summon AI makes them way too unreliable to use defensively.
hm, I got the impression other types died a lot

quote:

-Hellbent commander is good but I find it's generally better for using at a distance with your mages because you're less likely to take damage that way, which makes Death's Embrace wasted points. I'd pick between the two because if you want to stay in melee range to get the Death's embrace buff you're going to be taking a lot of incidental hits that knock off Hellbent commander. If you keep hellbent commander then your death's embrace points should be going to Death's reach
to be honest I don't know where to spend points anymore!

quote:

-Try to get the aspect that makes blight pull enemies in so you can ditch corpse tendrils for army of the dead or decrepify
-Just on a personal level I don't like using blood mist because its uptime isn't enough where I feel like it will save me from a situation that I can't get out of in other ways, which frees up that slot for the skill you didn't take from the previous point.
Otherwise it's just a matter of finding aspects and being able to use them. Once your survivability gets better you can swap the blood golem for the iron golem and use his cooldown as an additional source of vuln as well.
ok, that means dungeons in WT2 I guess. thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

zoux posted:

So it's only doing anything if you got that little shield around your health globe?

Also I've seen some screenshots with all the UI elements "left justified" I guess you'd say, is that a setting or is that just for consoles

It’s a drop down setting in gameplay options for all platforms!

Edit: didn’t refresh the thread, my bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Char posted:

hm, I got the impression other types died a lot

Are you making sure to keep them topped off with skeletal priest? You have three points in the passive that does a big heal after five seconds and you should be generating plenty of corpses with the rest of your build. It also just gives a straight 20% bonus to all their damage while the heal over time is running so constantly popping corpses with it during the fights is going to serve dual purpose of keeping them alive and increasing their damage.

Char posted:

to be honest I don't know where to spend points anymore!

Well, you don't have any points in the passive that increases your damage from a distance so just moving them over there would work :)

I know I say that you shouldn't split your damage but if you check the build I posted earlier I have points in damage stuff too for the same reason, I ran out of places to put it that would buff my minions. The reason I pointed the ones I did out specifically was just because they're contradictory/inefficient.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 15, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Magus42 posted:

Supposedly each bit of DR stacks multiplicatively so if you had 50% and 50% that'd halve the damage once, then halve it again instead of adding together to be 100%

Oh, that's big time diminishing returns then.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gully Foyle posted:

So the codex is basically a repository of basic powers/bonuses that you can apply to your weapons/armor/jewelry. You primarily get these from the first time you clear a dungeon - you can see ahead of time what codex aspect is going to be rewarded, so you can look on the map to find ones that seem useful to your class and build. The occultist can imprint that codex on any rare or better (I think) that meets the requirement - offensive aspects go on weapons, gloves, and jewelry for instance. It does take some materials including needing the mats you get from salvaging legendaries, so it can be hard to imprint a lot until you are finding spare oranges you don't mind salvaging. The codex aspects can be imprinted unlimited numbers of times once unlocked - though of course you can only have one copy of that aspect equipped (additional copies do nothing).

Aspects you imprint from the codex are always the minimum roll on any range value. If theres an aspect that says 'Basic Skills have a (10-25%) increased attack speed', the aspect from the codex will always be the 10%.

If you find an orange that has a power that you might want to use but it's on an item that sucks you can extract it at the occultist and later on put it on a better item. Extracting costs nothing but gold. This is one-time only though - so don't use the aspect on a weapon that you are constantly replacing as you level. The aspects you get from drops can roll higher than the ones in the codex, and there are aspects that can only be found as drops.

If the orange item looks like it has a power that it useless to your build, salvage it for mats that you can then use for imprints.

While leveling, if you find an aspect from a dungeon or a drop that seems cool for your build, plop it onto an item that isn't important - unused weapon slots are perfect for this, or gloves/boots etc. Generally don't waste materials imprinting on your weapon since you replace it often, and your torso armor is also one that provides a huge chunk of armor so is important to replace as you level.
Thank you for the detailed breakdown, that helps a lot.

soggybagel posted:

It's pretty straight forward in that its a thing you will do in town when youre also selling off random junk and stowing stuff in storage.
This is a good point, thank you.

explosivo posted:

Maybe I'm just doing a bad job explaining it, I don't really find it tedious or sucky; unlocking codex aspects only takes one dungeon clear and can be accessed across all of your characters. You're doing those dungeons anyway so the codex unlocks are a side benefit. The ability to extract aspects means you can get a piece of gear that has a loving fantastic aspect but everything else is irrelevant to your build or is a piece of gear that you can't afford to replace and put that aspect on a different piece of gear with better stats. I think it's a pretty great system that allows for a lot of flexibility with regards to what gear you have or are looking for since you can pretty affordably shuffle around aspects from one piece to another.
Eh, I tend to initially dislike things then come around on 'em, and the additional explanation helps. Im still figuring things out so I'm sure once it all makes more sense and I do it a few times I'll be much less negative about it.

SettingSun posted:

Barb skills will auto-pick the weapon it thinks does the most dps until told otherwise.
Figures. Good to know, thank you.

kumba posted:

you can change what weapon is used when you assign the ability - if you're on PC hit A and mouseover any ability, hitting mouse3 rotates through the weapons you have equipped
Ahhh you're a gentlegoon and a scholar, thank you. I was going with the "Walking Arsenal" aspect at the bottom of the skill tree and felt like I was missing out. I was thinking: Leap (Blunt two hander) => Ground Stomp to stun => Double Swing to apply vulnerability => Spin2win.... and now I can try it out!

Oh ok cool, thanks for your contribution.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Skeleton Rotation is usually dropping a Curse, using your Golem activated, then spamming Raise Skeleton to proc priest heal+attack buff, then Whatever the Core thing you're doing is (blight, corpse explode, bone spear whatever) It's very flexible at the point I'm at. You could just go straight blight, or get blight from corpse explode. I use bone spear to proc vulnerable since I have the Splintering Aspect, but if i had the blight vaccum i'd consider that.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm around 60ish and I'm still having a pretty good time with minions, the Army of the Dead ultimate + as much cooldown as you can get and the legendary that gives a huge attack speed bonus to the skeletons is pretty effective at putting out big bursts of damage. Since I'm using Blood Surge too I'm hoping I'll find that amulet Stux found because it'd match up nicely

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only thing I don’t get and haven’t bothered to really read up on is how ilevel works because as far as I can tell… nothing affects it? It’s just a very wide net and most of your drops will be garbage? Like I’m almost 60 and my items are just under 700 power. I know the cap appear to be somewhere in the 800’s and I’m trying to see if there’s any sense to harder content = more power but as far as I can tell I’m better off just clearing regular dungeons and only bothering with NM for glyph levels.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
hyped to get home and drop some more firewalls

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Vashro posted:

hyped to get home and drop some more firewalls

What's your firewall build look like? I'm jonesing for a good build that isn't arc lash or ice shards

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, that's big time diminishing returns then.

That’s the opposite of diminishing returns actually. The first 50% doubled your effective hp. The second 50% doubled your effective hp again.

In other words: if you have 100 health the first 50% gave you another 100 damage you could take. The second 50% gave you 200 damage you could take.

TheSwizzler posted:

I'm around 60ish and I'm still having a pretty good time with minions, the Army of the Dead ultimate + as much cooldown as you can get and the legendary that gives a huge attack speed bonus to the skeletons is pretty effective at putting out big bursts of damage. Since I'm using Blood Surge too I'm hoping I'll find that amulet Stux found because it'd match up nicely

As I said above it worked pretty well for me until I got a ways into t4. It still worked but there were some nightmare dungeons I had to nope out of because there were elite packs I had no way to kill. Pretty sure I could’ve made it to 100 no problem if I didn’t press my luck with nightmare dungeons and die on my hc character. When i respecced out of pets my clear speed went up massively even without appropriate affixes for a “meta” build. It’s a video game play what you think is fun, but i think a pet focused necro is one of the weaker options in the game.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Mailer posted:

I'm guessing you skipped D3, where rerolling was cheap and easy (instead of locked behind time-limited events) and you could both upgrade into legendaries and reroll ones you didn't like?

I played a ton and remember rerolling one affix which is the same as D4. The cube recipes to upgrade rares into legendaries was random what legendary you would get so that's more like gambling instead of crafting. Same with rerolling duplicate set items.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How do i get a "better" aspect? If I run a dungeon and it gives an aspect with a range of let's say 1-4 for a value rolled as 1, how do I obtain a "better" roll for that aspect?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

How do i get a "better" aspect? If I run a dungeon and it gives an aspect with a range of let's say 1-4 for a value rolled as 1, how do I obtain a "better" roll for that aspect?

Find it in the wild. If you're imprinting out of the codex that roll will always be 1, if you were wondering.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

AlternateAccount posted:

Extract it from an item. Easiest option for the umbral aspect is gambling for rings.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Propaganda Hour posted:

What's your firewall build look like? I'm jonesing for a good build that isn't arc lash or ice shards

fireshield, ice nova, teleport as usual. I'm using firewall and inferno and ice shield with enchant on firewall and fireshield b/c on hardcore and too scared to not use it. I'm not into the paragon board yet. You can get more damage if you use meteor enchantment to combo off the firewalls. There's a long video by Kripparrion on youtube about his late game build.
So far it's been fun and easy to gear but I am not even at WT3.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i finally got the aspect that reduces shout cooldowns by gambling legendary rings after 68 levels. some of them just seem to be much more rare than others, or it's just rng doing it's thing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Alright figured out the cheesiest multi-hits from this Lightning Sorc build.

Ice Armor(Barrier for +20% lucky hit with Barriers up)
Swapped Hydra to Fire Armor(It was this or ice blades and ice blades just feel super anemic and limp animations, so nice AoE buzzsaw multi-hits + immunity is satisfying)
Lightning Spear(crits/stuns everywhere, crit on stun passive)
Unstable(zap)

Left click Spark(make crackles passive, 4 tics of stacking crit until crit chance)
Right click CL(crits make crackles)

Key passive Overflowing Energy
All the passives for Lightning builds crit, stuns, damages on stun. Passive for +Barrier on CD use.
Enchants CL(+1 CL auto-cast per 3 CLs) and Arc Lash(melee stun pulse on CD use)

Already got 22.8% base lucky hit and 18.9% Cooldown Reduction at level 37 and using the 1-2 good early aspects I got and a bunch of utility codex aspects. Just stuns, crits, free crackles everywhere, aoe pulses and bouncing lightning everywhere, boss stagger bars zip up and already half time CD on my Unstable Currents. Zap zap fast attack multi-hit go brrrrrrrrr. Popping Unstable + Ice and seeing your barrier slam to 100% and never drop is great too.

Casting CL 3 times during Unstable with CL enchant is amazing. 3 CLs, +1, +4 random Shock spells of Ball, Chain, Spear or Charged Bolts. Do this standing on top of elites/bosses and they melt. UNLIMITED POWAAHHHHHH

I'm interested in trying other builds out but I'm leveling slowly and steadily again so it's up to whatever the game wants to drop for me especially when I am eligible for uniques and get back to WT3.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 15, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the best way to gamble the shockwave aspect

I may have uh removed it from my gear on accident

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

euphronius posted:

Gloves. But good luck. I'm level 62, and I've spent 10k obols looking for it and still don't have it.

Honestly I hate you for selling/salvaging your shockwave. You got some nerve coming in here telling me that. SOME NERVE BUCKO

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have 4 including a 96 roll :smaug: AND I got Vasily's almost immediately

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got vasilys last night yeah

Which caused the aspect reshuffling which lead me to inadvertently nuke shockwave

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jaytan posted:

That’s the opposite of diminishing returns actually. The first 50% doubled your effective hp. The second 50% doubled your effective hp again.

In other words: if you have 100 health the first 50% gave you another 100 damage you could take. The second 50% gave you 200 damage you could take.

Well, diminishing compared to if they had gone Additive. Being able to take infinity damage would have been nice, like I did with D3 launch Wizard.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Gone Fashing posted:

i finally got the aspect that reduces shout cooldowns by gambling legendary rings after 68 levels. some of them just seem to be much more rare than others, or it's just rng doing it's thing

if u asked a few days ago i wouldve said its rarity not rng bcos i had one aspect i really wanted drop a single time between levels 1 and 70, but the last couple of days ive seen it like 6 times so now i dont know wtf

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
was it normal odds and i was ultra unlucky? is it super rare and im being ultra lucky? Impossible to say. but its one fo the two.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

I have 4 including a 96 roll :smaug: AND I got Vasily's almost immediately

I've gotten 2 Vasily's. loving shockwave continues to elude me.

It's not the end of the world, because even without it pulverize druid is really fun and I'm not sick of it yet, but comeon... just one. Give me min roll for fucks sake let's do this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm feeling the burnout, and it's mostly because of the stunlocks that constantly kill me as a rogue. I almost want to start a barbarian or druid to get that sweet unstoppable action.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if gambling with a level 1 Druid would give better odds

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Alright figured out the cheesiest multi-hits from this Lightning Sorc build.

Ice Armor(Barrier for +20% lucky hit with Barriers up)
Swapped Hydra to Fire Armor(It was this or ice blades and ice blades just feel super anemic and limp animations, so nice AoE buzzsaw multi-hits + immunity is satisfying)
Lightning Spear(crits/stuns everywhere, crit on stun aspect)
Unstable(zap)

Left click Spark(make crackles passive, 4 tics of stacking crit until crit chance)
Right click CL(crits make crackles)

Key passive Overflowing Energy
All the passives for Lightning builds crit, stuns, damages on stun. Passive for +Barrier on CD use.
Enchants CL(+1 CL auto-cast per 3 CLs) and Arc Lash(melee stun pulse on CD use)

Already got 22.8% base lucky hit and 18.9% Cooldown Reduction at level 37 and using the 1-2 good early aspects I got and a bunch of utility codex aspects. Just stuns, crits, free crackles everywhere, aoe pulses and bouncing lightning everywhere, boss stagger bars zip up and already half time CD on my Unstable Currents. Zap zap fast attack multi-hit go brrrrrrrrr. Popping Unstable + Ice and seeing your barrier slam to 100% and never drop is great too.

Casting CL 3 times during Unstable with CL enchant is amazing. 3 CLs, +1, +4 random Shock spells of Ball, Chain, Spear or Charged Bolts. Do this standing on top of elites/bosses and they melt. UNLIMITED POWAAHHHHHH

I'm interested in trying other builds out but I'm leveling slowly and steadily again so it's up to whatever the game wants to drop for me especially when I am eligible for uniques and get back to WT3.

There's a unique staff that is also really nice to have for that sort of set up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The easiest way to obtain shockwave is to roll wth obols for totems.

Since totems only roll for offensive aspects posible pool is smaller than other objets.

Also i can confirm i have obtained two shockwaves using this method.

Hmmm

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

The easiest way to obtain shockwave is to roll wth obols for totems.

Since totems only roll for offensive aspects posible pool is smaller than other objets.

Also i can confirm i have obtained two shockwaves using this method.

Hmmm

Good to know

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

euphronius posted:

Supposedly totems are the best, because totems can only roll offensive aspects (like shockwave) while gloves can roll both offensive aspects and uhhh one other type. This is just based on something I read on Reddit though so :shrug:. When I finally got shockwave it was from a drop on I think a ring, though.

e: I see you already found this info

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Trying to do T50+ NM as Ice Shards sorc is so goddamn annoying. Love getting oneshot from offscreen by ranged monsters. gently caress corpse bows in particular.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only thing I don’t get and haven’t bothered to really read up on is how ilevel works because as far as I can tell… nothing affects it? It’s just a very wide net and most of your drops will be garbage? Like I’m almost 60 and my items are just under 700 power. I know the cap appear to be somewhere in the 800’s and I’m trying to see if there’s any sense to harder content = more power but as far as I can tell I’m better off just clearing regular dungeons and only bothering with NM for glyph levels.

I don't think anyone knows the exact ranges, but some combination of your level and the level of the monster you kill seems to determine the average ilvl of things that drop. The average ilvl of things that drop for me around nightmare tier 50 at level 78 "feels" like it's somewhere in the 770s, but I haven't dutifully kept track. Then again I got an 819 weapon like the moment I set foot into WT4 and have never replaced it, so who knows. Re: the cap, the highest ilvl item I have seen anywhere is 826. That was on DatModz's stream when he was level 100.

LifeLynx posted:

I'm feeling the burnout, and it's mostly because of the stunlocks that constantly kill me as a rogue. I almost want to start a barbarian or druid to get that sweet unstoppable action.

You are pretty much required to get some source of unstoppable in the endgame, yeah. I had to add Shadow Step as a CC break to my Penetrating Shot build, and am considering adding a second in the form of Concealment as well.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

Drinking a curing potion is supposed to immediately give you 1 second of unstoppable and break stuns. You'll need to do a sidequest to unlock the recipe. Also make sure you have topaz in your armor slots.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ojetor posted:

Trying to do T50+ NM as Ice Shards sorc is so goddamn annoying. Love getting oneshot from offscreen by ranged monsters. gently caress corpse bows in particular.

Honestly one of the bigger limitations I've come across for this frozen orb / blizzard build I'm devising is the loving zoom of the screen. You want to be able to cast the vuln orbs basically to the edge of our vision now, for the perfect land, but it's just zoomed in too much. This is amplified when poo poo is blasting you from off-screen and you can't just move.

The game zooms out all the time so it's not an engine limitation, what an annoying decision.

I have only been able to achieve nm40 though so I at least usually don't get one shot yet.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does anyone have an idea of the breakdown of which classes are more and less popular? eyeballing it, it feels like druids/barbs are the least but i cant figure the most

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anecdotally I see basically nothing but sorcs and necros out in the world in T3

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anecdotally I see basically nothing but sorcs and necros out in the world in T3

Same. Necros seem really popular.

For me it's probably Necros, Sorcs, Rogues, Druid, Barbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I only notice minion necros because of all the minions and druids because they are chunky folks. This is probably not representative of the population.