Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's a bit silly to use multiple spices when you can just use allspice, the spice that has all the spices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Why are graham crackers pronounced "gram" but golden graham's are pronounced like the name?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
fun (fake) fact, 5 spice has the same origins as bakers dozens. so spicers give you an extra 5th or even 6th or more spice so they dont get accused of short changing and get their hands cut off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Probably explains why dirt cheap street food is usually way better than the poo poo you read about being served in the upper crust restaurants.

Glad to know that's not just me coping about not being able to afford to eat there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like most Western cultures are fair game for poking fun at, we don't get to pretend we're harmed by someone calling our food beige or saying all we eat is potatoes or whatever. We could stand to have a bit more of a sense of humour about ourselves.

Like yes, there is a double standard. yes, this would be a lovely thing to say if we swapped "white" for "black" or whatever, if we said "THEY" should have a sense of humor about THEMselves. (Even if a member of a minority said it about themselves.) But well, that's the point. We have a double standard because reality already has its own double standard

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like most Western cultures are fair game for poking fun at, we don't get to pretend we're harmed by someone calling our food beige or saying all we eat is potatoes or whatever

I wouldn’t say this around the Irish if I were you

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

oldpainless posted:

Well, to be fair, Irish people DO eat a lot of potatoes and many have quite strong opinions on which variety is the best*.

(*It's Roosters.
Golden Wonders and Records are trash potatoes and don't even get me started on the crime against spuds that is the foul Cultra. Maris Pipers are good for roasting or making chips, but the humble Rooster is a great all-rounder.
Theres a whole other conversation to be had about varieties of new potato, but this probably isn't the thread for it)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Sean posted:

Wow. Massive self-own in an attempt to own the poor.

Relatedly, the origin of graham crackers:

"The graham cracker was inspired by the preaching of Sylvester Graham, who was part of the 19th-century temperance movement. He believed that minimizing pleasure and stimulation of all kinds, including the prevention of masturbation, coupled with a vegetarian diet anchored by bread made from wheat coarsely ground at home, was how God intended people to live, and that following this natural law would keep people healthy. Towards that end, Graham introduced the world's first graham wafer product. It was a dull, unsifted flour biscuit baked by Graham himself. The sugarless wafers were a key component of the eponymous diet."

They're okay today with the addition of flavor.

And then they became a symbol of delicious sugary snacks when s'mores were created.

AceClown posted:

Why are graham crackers pronounced "gram" but golden graham's are pronounced like the name?

What? They're pronounced the same way, outside of regional dialects. Have not once heard someone pronounce them differently, not even on commercials.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol here we go again

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

It's pronounced "sword"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Schubalts posted:

And then they became a symbol of delicious sugary snacks when s'mores were created.

What? They're pronounced the same way, outside of regional dialects. Have not once heard someone pronounce them differently, not even on commercials.

people in some countries pronounce it closer to 'gray ham', where in the US it is pronounced exactly like 'gram' most of the time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Data Graham posted:

Like yes, there is a double standard. yes, this would be a lovely thing to say if we swapped "white" for "black" or whatever, if we said "THEY" should have a sense of humor about THEMselves. (Even if a member of a minority said it about themselves.) But well, that's the point. We have a double standard because reality already has its own double standard

I don't really think it's a double standard as such. Like, the reason it's okay to poke fun at whitey is because socio-economically white people tend to be at the top of the pile, and punching up is always acceptable. The reason it'd be lovely to make fun of what are in our communities minorities, is because that's punching down. Similarly, if I went out and acted gobsmacked that "OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE POOR PEOPLE EAT THIS poo poo LMAO" I'd be an rear end in a top hat, on the other hand if I went "lmao, rich people, they pay for moss and ants" that's hilarious and I'm a comedy genius.

People of power or privilege who are deeply fragile despite it are always comedy gold.

oldpainless posted:

As a Danish person I feel like we get poked fun at about potatoes even more than the Irish do. :v:

But hey, if someone wants to make fun of me for my potato-heavy diet, joke's on them, potatoes are great and they're missing out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't really think it's a double standard as such. Like, the reason it's okay to poke fun at whitey is because socio-economically white people tend to be at the top of the pile, and punching up is always acceptable. The reason it'd be lovely to make fun of what are in our communities minorities, is because that's punching down. Similarly, if I went out and acted gobsmacked that "OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE POOR PEOPLE EAT THIS poo poo LMAO" I'd be an rear end in a top hat, on the other hand if I went "lmao, rich people, they pay for moss and ants" that's hilarious and I'm a comedy genius.

People of power or privilege who are deeply fragile despite it are always comedy gold.

Yeah for sure, the punching-up/down framing is definitely the easiest way to frame it. It just really annoys me that all these chudly types are able to clothe themselves in some kind of rhetorical armor by saying "Oh well you see I'm just being fair and logical, I'm just applying the same yardstick to everyone" and I'm like ... yeah by accepting that framing we just ensure that nothing will ever change and the way it is now is just our destiny. Real life isn't about logic, and empathy and compassion and reading the room are a thing

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My Cajun blood boils at being lumped in with the yankees who can't handle salt and pepper.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Pookah posted:

Well, to be fair, Irish people DO eat a lot of potatoes and many have quite strong opinions on which variety is the best*.

(*It's Roosters.
Golden Wonders and Records are trash potatoes and don't even get me started on the crime against spuds that is the foul Cultra. Maris Pipers are good for roasting or making chips, but the humble Rooster is a great all-rounder.
Theres a whole other conversation to be had about varieties of new potato, but this probably isn't the thread for it)

I'm always amazed by how... isolated crop varieties are. Like, none of those potatoes are common in the US and (at least a good number of) US breeds are unknown over in Europe. As a example there was a Reddit post about how the poster was craving a Burbank potato, but apparently they just weren't grown/imported to where he was.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Life without Linda or Belana is possible, but pointless.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

The Sean posted:

"The graham cracker was inspired by the preaching of Sylvester Graham, who was part of the 19th-century temperance movement. He believed that minimizing pleasure and stimulation of all kinds, including the prevention of masturbation, coupled with a vegetarian diet anchored by bread made from wheat coarsely ground at home, was how God intended people to live, and that following this natural law would keep people healthy. Towards that end, Graham introduced the world's first graham wafer product. It was a dull, unsifted flour biscuit baked by Graham himself. The sugarless wafers were a key component of the eponymous diet."

the "ookie cookie" is the greatest of insults to Graham

Pookah posted:

Potatoes became central to Irish food because it was what the English left them to eat after taking all their grain

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm always amazed by how... isolated crop varieties are. Like, none of those potatoes are common in the US and (at least a good number of) US breeds are unknown over in Europe. As a example there was a Reddit post about how the poster was craving a Burbank potato, but apparently they just weren't grown/imported to where he was.

Oh yeah, there thousands of potato varieties around the world, and I believe they can be very picky about where they will grow. In Irish supermarkets/greengrocers , you'll probably have around 10-15 varieties, but when people grew their own, there were a lot more available. They aren't so central to the Irish diet now, since there is a lot more choice, but when I was a kid in the 1980's, families would commonly buy a 4 stone bag (56lb) around once a week. My Aunt's family went through more than one bag that size per week, and there were only 6 in the family.

As to the Irish Famine, the potato variety you most often hear about was the "Lumper" - apparently it was not very nice, but it grew in bad soil and had a huge yield. I just found out that a farmer in Antrim has managed to regrow them, and he's says they are actually pretty good.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/famine-potato-returns-irish-lumper-not-seen-for-170-years-makes-comeback/29116314.html

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I’ve noticed white people are also the one’s absolutely obsessed with spices.

Like literally virtue signaling over spices and how much they totally love them which is a bit pathetic on its own

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I enjoy a nice turkey and swiss sandwich on wheat bread it is a filling lunch and tastes fine.

One time someone put pepper on my turkey and I sued them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I’ve noticed white people are also the one’s absolutely obsessed with spices.

Like literally virtue signaling over spices and how much they totally love them which is a bit pathetic on its own

I’ve noticed they’re (we’re I guess) the ones obsessed with talking about heat levels and scoville units. Not so much individual spices or good mixes of them, just dick waiving how much pain their mouth can take.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I got together with my midwestern family and traveled to the southwest US. Local fast food tacos? Too out there, we had to make a second stop at Wendy's. OK, let's try something else they can't get at home, a dedicated German restaurant. Nope, too ethnic.

They ordered pizza. Got a "white pizza" (alfredo sauce). They didn't like it. Rural Midwest is a black hole of flavor.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Sean posted:

Between this guy and Kellogg I have to wonder what the gently caress was up with this association between cereal grain consumption and whacking off?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mak0rz posted:

Between this guy and Kellogg I have to wonder what the gently caress was up with this association between cereal grain consumption and whacking off?
Talk about sowing your oats!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They wanted people to only eat tasteless food because spice and flavor would angry up the blood and lead to inflamed passions.

That's literally it. Eat gruel, no libido, no sin. Bing bong

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Pookah posted:

Oh yeah, there thousands of potato varieties around the world, and I believe they can be very picky about where they will grow. In Irish supermarkets/greengrocers , you'll probably have around 10-15 varieties, but when people grew their own, there were a lot more available. They aren't so central to the Irish diet now, since there is a lot more choice, but when I was a kid in the 1980's, families would commonly buy a 4 stone bag (56lb) around once a week. My Aunt's family went through more than one bag that size per week, and there were only 6 in the family.

As to the Irish Famine, the potato variety you most often hear about was the "Lumper" - apparently it was not very nice, but it grew in bad soil and had a huge yield. I just found out that a farmer in Antrim has managed to regrow them, and he's says they are actually pretty good.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/famine-potato-returns-irish-lumper-not-seen-for-170-years-makes-comeback/29116314.html

Potatoes aren't that picky when it comes to growing conditions. I'd bet money that if you threw some Rooster, Lumpers, Lindas or... whatever potatoes into some potato growing region in the US they'd do fine more often than not. Heck, I've grown some potatoes from true seed and gotten fairly good yields from potatoes that, by definition, were new to my area.

I think it has more to do with consumer preferences and marketing. I mean without a huge marketing push Yukon Gold potatoes would probably be a obscure specialty potato grown by hobbyists in Canada

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

PharmerBoy posted:

They ordered pizza. Got a "white pizza" (alfredo sauce). They didn't like it. Rural Midwest is a black hole of flavor.

I would be extremely suspicious of anyone who liked "white pizza." It seems like the sort of thing introduced by alien invaders.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mak0rz posted:

Graham came first, and his work and advocacy influenced Kellogg and the Seventh-Day Adventists. It's more that they wanted to avoid anything "stimulating" like spices, sugar, and meat because they thought that without those elements in your diet you would be less horny.

Basically, they wanted to take the most basic-rear end calorie sources and process them to be even more basic. And corn flakes and graham crackers were the result.

e:f,b

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Graham came first

wow what a hypocrite

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, I swear I've heard the exact same thing as the origin story for Kellogg's.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I suppose making people eat only bland foods is one way to kill their libido (because of depression)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those guys were all competing with and mentoring and nepotisming each other. It was a whole thing

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

PharmerBoy posted:

I got together with my midwestern family and traveled to the southwest US. Local fast food tacos? Too out there, we had to make a second stop at Wendy's. OK, let's try something else they can't get at home, a dedicated German restaurant. Nope, too ethnic.

My dad to this day orders chicken tenders from the kids menu when I take him anywhere that doesn’t have steak or burgers. It’s insane how little flavor he eats.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mak0rz posted:

There's this whole conservative thing with temperence as a concept-this idea that it's critical to regulate and restrict base desires in order to be a better person. It's taking a sensible concept (eating sensibly) to a ludicrous and religious extreme.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, I swear I've heard the exact same thing as the origin story for Kellogg's.

Kellogg was also a fan of enemas. They could solve anything!

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

"Maybe I'm just being paranoid" she says in r/conspiracy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Panfilo posted:

There's this whole conservative thing with temperence as a concept-this idea that it's critical to regulate and restrict base desires in order to be a better person. It's taking a sensible concept (eating sensibly) to a ludicrous and religious extreme.

It's a bit off the wall, I'll grant you, but it reminds me of the anti-sex league from 1984.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, this one has to fit the request to post IOSM that isn't harmful in some way

https://twitter.com/leenibot/status/1633924340042350592

Unfortunately, like anyone making jokes about Tetsuya Nomura designing characters with extraneous belts, I don't really have any current material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Viscous Soda posted:

Potatoes aren't that picky when it comes to growing conditions. I'd bet money that if you threw some Rooster, Lumpers, Lindas or... whatever potatoes into some potato growing region in the US they'd do fine more often than not. Heck, I've grown some potatoes from true seed and gotten fairly good yields from potatoes that, by definition, were new to my area.

I think it has more to do with consumer preferences and marketing. I mean without a huge marketing push Yukon Gold potatoes would probably be a obscure specialty potato grown by hobbyists in Canada

Aren't there also really strict regulations about importing raw vegetables/other farming stuff from country to country? Like I remember customs being really strict about not having DIRT on you the last time I came to Canada (they likely have good reasons, I just remember it seeming funny), so potatoes which are basically big seeds in dirt might be affected.