Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

rivetz posted:

That's part of it actually, the case is complicated as hell and of the 15 of us there are exactly 3 who haven't written down a thing and come of as thoroughly checked out. It's got me wondering when the alts are selected and is there any discretion in the process. Sounds like that's a nope. Thanks all. I can come back and dish on the case once it's been decided right?

Listen to what the judge tells you at the end of the case. They 100% will address what you can and cannot discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Dear god don’t tell us or anybody anything unless the judge explicitly tells you what you can talk about and when. Lmao got me sweatin’

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
If they were told they’re alternates, everyone should have been told they’re alternates

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 28, 2023

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Just remember that both 12 Angry Men and Runaway Jury were documentaries and act accordingly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

therobit posted:

Just remember that both 12 Angry Men and Runaway Jury were documentaries and act accordingly.

Are you asking them to bring a gun?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Are you asking them to bring a gun?

No, maybe a switchblade though.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/entertainment/raven-symone-nda/index.html

Is something like this even enforceable at all?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
As much as any NDA is, I guess.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I got a summons for federal jury duty, but my number is 500ish. Any insight on how likely I am to have to drive my rear end out to the courthouse?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

i rate the likelihood at 4 out of 7 bananas

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
Wouldn’t the NDA require consideration? IANAL

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Had a candidate miss a job interview today for jury duty.

Who can I sue?

I want to put the system on trial.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

CerealCrunch posted:

Sure, as all contracts do. But even for NDAs between companies, there isn't actual money exchanged as the consideration. The receipt of information on the one hand, and the promise to keep that information confidential on the other hand, can be the consideration.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CerealCrunch posted:

DAT rear end is sufficient consideration.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this!

I have a legal / housing question. I am a tenant, renting directly from an owner of a condo unit inside a condo building in WA. Our downstairs neighbor has complained to the HOA that our dog is causing too much noise throughout the day. They are saying it has nothing to do with barking, but that he is running through the apartment too much and they can hear it. In my view, his running is minimal and whatever noise it creates is reasonable, but they are insisting this is a big issue for them. (If I had to estimate, he gets some zoomies either chasing the cat or playing with us for at most, 1-2 minutes every other day or so. He spends a lot of time out working with my gf so at home he’s mostly lazy). He is only 35 pounds but he is a rat terrier mix so he’s pretty fast to be fair.

Our landlord tells us she’s had a long-standing feud with this neighbor as well, concerning them complaining about previous tenants who had young kids.

The association gave us a warning and is telling us they could remove our dog. They are citing a rule (that we signed) stating "Noisy animals that disturb other residents are not permitted." This rule seems extremely vague, and there are plenty of dogs in the building that I routinely hear barking at all hours, and our dog never barks.

Is this rule actually legally enforceable? Everything I am finding online talks about dogs that bark too much so I’m not seeing a lot of relevant information.

The other thing to note is that he is an emotional support animal (we have paperwork), and this neighbor has only complained to us one time about this over 2 months ago. We’ve lived here for 9 months. We had no idea it was an issue for them until we received the official warning yesterday.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was watching one of those first amendment auditor videos. He was pulling up to a stop light with a cop behind him. The light turned yellow, so he stopped and the cop had to lock up their brakes to avoid hitting him. Actually, the cop probably would have hit him, but he pulled forward a little ways into the intersection to avoid getting rear ended. Of course, the cop ticketed him for stopping in the intersection. On the driver's rear dash cam, you can clearly hear the cop's tires screeching when they slammed on their brakes. On the cops dash cam, there is no audio until after the cop car comes to a stop, then the audio starts rolling. Could it be considered tampering or destruction of evidence to erase the audio in that case?

I have no idea what city/state this was in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skunkduster posted:

I was watching one of those first amendment auditor videos. He was pulling up to a stop light with a cop behind him. The light turned yellow, so he stopped and the cop had to lock up their brakes to avoid hitting him. Actually, the cop probably would have hit him, but he pulled forward a little ways into the intersection to avoid getting rear ended. Of course, the cop ticketed him for stopping in the intersection. On the driver's rear dash cam, you can clearly hear the cop's tires screeching when they slammed on their brakes. On the cops dash cam, there is no audio until after the cop car comes to a stop, then the audio starts rolling. Could it be considered tampering or destruction of evidence to erase the audio in that case?

I have no idea what city/state this was in.

That's probably not what happened there.

Cop dash cam is *always* recording video, but not always recording audio (due to file size constraints I believe). When the cop turns their big blues on or otherwise initiates dashcam, it starts saving both. . . which means the video should start about thirty seconds *before* the audio cuts in, because the video was always on, but the audio wasn't pre-recording before the lights came on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

but not always recording audio (due to file size constraints I believe).

Well that sounds like bullshit to me, audio is comically small compared to even a blip of video.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bad Munki posted:

Well that sounds like bullshit to me, audio is comically small compared to even a blip of video.

:shrug: I dunno why, it's just how it works.

In theory there's usually not much use for dash cam audio -- what we want from dash cam is things like "did he make an improper right turn" "did he signal" "did his brake lights operate" etc. AT least, that's the theory.

In practice sometimes cops opening their big dumb mouths is hilarious. I did have one once where the cop was walking up to the car they'd pulled over shouting "i pulled you over because your brake lights were dead" and the brake lights were brightly lit in the dashcam. Case got reassigned tho before I got the chance to make any hay with that

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 5, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, I'm not saying your report on what they say is bullshit, I'm saying whatever cop agency reports that as a reason is bullshit. In other words, ACAB, including the institutions behind them 🤷‍♂️

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The system they use keeps exactly 30 seconds of rolling video. Like, the thirty-first second deletes when the next second records. The audio switches on and the system starts permanently recording when the cop hits "record" or something (activates lights or air bag deploys) causes the system to start recording.

The storage alone would be insane to permanently record 24/7 everything out of every cop car.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, it's just kind of funny that they're not running a rolling 30 seconds of audio too, given how inexpensive it would be storage wise.

I assume that it's so that when the cop says something wildly inappropriate before switching on the sirens it's not captured.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, it's just kind of funny that they're not running a rolling 30 seconds of audio too, given how inexpensive it would be storage wise.

I assume that it's so that when the cop says something wildly inappropriate before switching on the sirens it's not captured.

Exactly.

"Hey, let's get this [slur]!"
*Hits lights*
*Recording starts*

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We moved cross country (out of state) from NC to CA. Our landlord charged us almost a thousand dollars out of our deposit for some bogus stuff like removing pavers in the back yard we didn't install (looks like they've been there for decades) plus some other stuff totalling about $1700 or more than half our deposit. Pretty sure the tiny city in the middle of nowhere does not have a tenants rights group. We're on week... Three? waiting for a response from the property management company

Going to look at the rental contract, I'm guessing it has something about using mediation, how do I initiate that? Just pick a mediator out of the yellow pages? Failing that can I just sue him locally in California small claims court or do I need to do that in NC? We still go back there periodically once or twice a year.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

post the contract

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hadlock posted:

We moved cross country (out of state) from NC to CA. Our landlord charged us almost a thousand dollars out of our deposit for some bogus stuff like removing pavers in the back yard we didn't install (looks like they've been there for decades) plus some other stuff totalling about $1700 or more than half our deposit. Pretty sure the tiny city in the middle of nowhere does not have a tenants rights group. We're on week... Three? waiting for a response from the property management company

Going to look at the rental contract, I'm guessing it has something about using mediation, how do I initiate that? Just pick a mediator out of the yellow pages? Failing that can I just sue him locally in California small claims court or do I need to do that in NC? We still go back there periodically once or twice a year.

FWIW, there is a facebook tenant's union for the county I thought you were in (but whose city is not tiny)
You've almost certainly got to sue in NC.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a sternly worded letter from your lawyer might be sufficient for them to give up on stealing your deposit

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

ill send that letter for you

$15,000 upfront deposit tho

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

rivetz posted:

Here's an interesting one, I think: in currently serving on a grand jury in a class action lawsuit. The trial is lengthy so they went with 18 jurors and will drop six alternates when testimony is complete. Nobody knows who the alternates are.

Are there general rules around the alternate selection process, or do they vary widely by state? The case is relatively high profile (at least around here) so I'd rather not provide that info, but I'm curious if that's generally random? Assuming the legal teams have some say in that initial pool (right? Going off movies here), are alternates picked factoring in those preferences, or is it random once the initial pool is in place? Hope that makes sense, trying to figure out why my odds might be for being picked or dismissed. Thanks.
update: https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/news...1c1b8ff42d.html. Obscure link but the larger sites aren't catching a cool detail here:

quote:

This verdict is believed to be the first time a jury has found a utility company liable to property owners in a wildfire case. When factoring in the damages available to the class, it would be the largest civil jury verdict in Oregon history.

I've been on this jury for the last seven weeks, trial wrapped this afternoon. If anyone has any questions about it, judge has instructed all jurors that basically we can talk to anyone we want about anything we want at our own discretion, outside of the "deliberative process" which I'll interpret to mean anything re: discussions held inside the jury room. Overall, quite an experience!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

How much of the testimony seemed to boil down to "gently caress these guys?" For that matter, did it feel like any witnesses were just full of it? (No need for specifics!)

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

How much of the testimony seemed to boil down to "gently caress these guys?" For that matter, did it feel like any witnesses were just full of it? (No need for specifics!)
Naw, I think I can give plenty of specifics. We're allowed to talk to media, the lawyers etc. One of the teams (no prizes for guessing which one) hit me up at the courthouse doors wanting to meet and discuss, then I bumped into the other team's lawyers at a bar down the street. My understanding is the whole trial is public record if you wanted to slog through the record request process, so if it happened in the courtroom, I can talk about it. I was expecting a bunch of conditions from the judge, but apart from the deliberative process caveat, all he had were some general words of advice on dealing with reporters, social media etc.

quote:

How much of the testimony seemed to boil down to "gently caress these guys?"
Not sure what you mean, too many ways to interpret:

"gently caress these guys": Pacific Power leadership, to the residents
"gently caress these guys": Pacific Power leadership, to the plaintiff's lawyers taking their depositions
"gently caress these guys": Plaintiff's lawyers, referring to Pacific Power leadership
"gently caress these guys": Residents, to Pacific Power
"gently caress these guys": Other residents, to plaintiff's lawyers

quote:

For that matter, did it feel like any witnesses were just full of it?
"gently caress these guys" : Me, to myself, referring to the defense's expert witnesses who were almost uniformly full of it. Honestly the only guys that came off well were the low- to mid-level folks from PacifiCorp. Linemen, support personnel, a couple of mid-level managers that clearly were doing their best. Everyone at an executive level came off absolutely miserably. I am talking stretches of 20-30 direct yes/no questions answered with endless variants of "again, sitting here today, I can't recall [...]"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, I'm trying to ask about things that aren't going to be judgement calls you were discussing, like "how much did the smarm and lack of taking responsibility affect the punitive damages" which I would love to know but assume you should not discuss.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thank you for serving on the jury. It has been an important case to a lot of people in Oregon and the west.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to ask about things that aren't going to be judgement calls you were discussing, like "how much did the smarm and lack of taking responsibility affect the punitive damages" which I would love to know but assume you should not discuss.
Here's a cool nugget I can share that was unearthed in testimony: one of the execs was VP of Transmission & Distribution, which includes wildfire mitigation; when the fires went down, he was co-director of the EOC (Emergency Ops Center) stood up by PacifiCorp to manage potential ignitions and conduct a coordinated response. It was therefore unfortunate that under repeated direct examination he was unable to produce one example of any specific action taken over the weekend as the fires burned. Nor even one piece of communication with any other employee, save a lone cellphone record showing a call to the CEO in the middle of the night. He retired less than a year later and now owns a small consultancy, with one client: PacifiCorp. Their agreement (which was entered into evidence and is also public record) pays him $5K/mo. for 16 hrs/mo. of wildfire mitigation consulting, strictly conditional on not talking to anybody else about wildfires or PacifiCorp. You may draw your own conclusions as to how this development was greeted by the jury.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

rivetz posted:

Here's a cool nugget I can share that was unearthed in testimony: one of the execs was VP of Transmission & Distribution, which includes wildfire mitigation; when the fires went down, he was co-director of the EOC (Emergency Ops Center) stood up by PacifiCorp to manage potential ignitions and conduct a coordinated response. It was therefore unfortunate that under repeated direct examination he was unable to produce one example of any specific action taken over the weekend as the fires burned. Nor even one piece of communication with any other employee, save a lone cellphone record showing a call to the CEO in the middle of the night. He retired less than a year later and now owns a small consultancy, with one client: PacifiCorp. Their agreement (which was entered into evidence and is also public record) pays him $5K/mo. for 16 hrs/mo. of wildfire mitigation consulting, strictly conditional on not talking to anybody else about wildfires or PacifiCorp. You may draw your own conclusions as to how this development was greeted by the jury.

Gonna guess "gently caress these guys"

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

rivetz posted:

I've been on this jury for the last seven weeks, trial wrapped this afternoon. If anyone has any questions about it, judge has instructed all jurors that basically we can talk to anyone we want about anything we want at our own discretion, outside of the "deliberative process" which I'll interpret to mean anything re: discussions held inside the jury room. Overall, quite an experience!

What was compensation like for the duration of the trial? It always seems insane to me how little jurors are paid for their time. In my area, you get nothing for the first ten days, and after that you get the equivalent of less than half the minimum wage. You even have to pay for parking! I don't understand how the average person these days is even meant to be able to serve on a jury with the way rent and other living expenses are. A seven-week trial would put a minimum-wage worker over $3k in the red comparatively, not even counting expenses during that time.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 15, 2023

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

how are you going to feel if/when it gets reversed on appeal

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Gully Foyle posted:

What was compensation like for the duration of the trial? It always seems insane to me how little jurors are paid for their time. In my area, you get nothing for the first ten days, and after that you get the equivalent of less than half the minimum wage. You even have to pay for parking! I don't understand how the average person these days is even meant to be able to serve on a jury with the way rent and other living expenses are. A seven-week trial would put a minimum-wage worker over $3k in the red comparatively, not even counting expenses during that time.

Federal court (or at least the Eastern District of Virginia) is $50 per day plus mileage and reimbursement of tolls. Then, after day 10, it goes up to $60 per day.

Since I continued to get my salary while I was serving, it actually ended up being a nice little windfall for me. (Jury stipends are in fact taxable income, but not the portion that's a reimbursement for travel.)

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
[Nuking this out of concerns it could be misrepresented as grounds for a mistrial. That's not my intent, I clearly don't fully understand what can and cannot be shared here. Sorry all.]

rivetz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
God drat reading the compensation part I am so glad my union cba covers jury duty